Fermenting Thread

Left to right.

Jalapenos & Carrot (to be made into hot sauce)
Dill Carrots with Jalapeno (snack items)
Dill Cucumbers with Jalapeno (snack item)
Anaheim, Arbol, Japones, Jalapeno and Carrot (to be made into hot sauce)

Post your current ferments.

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=yYey8ntlK_E
amazon.com/Pickle-Pebbles-PLUS-Fermentation-Small-Batch/dp/B00V41EZNC
amazon.com/dp/B01N5EP6MA/ref=twister_B010VLC2IK?_encoding=UTF8&th=1
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

m.youtube.com/watch?v=yYey8ntlK_E

how much hot sauce will that jar on the left make

What's in the liquid? And I'm guessing that's a special lid to releases the gases?

Had I to estimate, between 500mL and 1000mL.
Anywhere between half and full of one of those entire quart jars.
Really depends on how thick you want it.
Thick sauce probably half that jar. Thin sauce the entire jar. I'm somewhere in between.

Distilled water with an 8% brine across the board.
Those are vented silicone tops to aide in preventing pressure build up. Little hole in the top to release gasses.

I really want to get into this.

Any tips for getting started? Or general how-to? I'm pretty good in the kitchen but this is something I've never done before.

Do you have any reference to what the fermented cucumber/carrots end up like?

pickles and pickled carrots

Oh ok cool. Why not just pickle them?

Super quick rundown.

Get mason jars.
Get airlocks / air vents.
Get glass stones to keep everything submerged.
Get vegetables.

Sterilize yours jars by washing and baking at 350F for 15 minutes.
Wash all your vegetables prior to prepping them.
Typical brine is between 2% and 10%; different veggies and climate temperatures require different concentrations.

It's pretty hard to fuck up fermenting. Just watch a few youtube videos and the process is fairly self-explanatory.

They'll come out crisp like they are in their raw form, but taste pickled; slight sour and saltiness to them. Pretty good stuff.

>Oh ok cool. Why not just pickle them?

Common misconception. Fermenting and pickling is the same thing.

Wow...

Vegetable washing needed? Or simply water?

Just give them a good rinse in water. Clears off any dirt particles and hand touching by other store patrons. Gets rid of any of the baddy bacterias on them that might screw up the ferment.

Got it. Neato. I thought you maybe started with vinegar with pickling, makes sense that it's a product of fermentation.

There's various form of pickling. Some just require the brine, others vinegar. Lacto fermenting, which is specifically brine, just requires non-iodized salt and non-chlorinated water to get going. Either way, with brine or vinegar, they'll both come out with the high acidity sour taste we're all familiar with.

>Common misconception. Fermenting and pickling is the same thing.
It can be the same thing, but I think that if you pickle something in vinegar it isn't necessarily fermented?

It's like calling blue, aqua or turquoise. They're all derivative of the same color pallet, just various form of it.

anyone have a link for getting the things i need to do this

horrible analogy

That's not true at all though.

Something can be pickled and not fermented. Many things can be fermented but not pickled.

Fermentting, in this context, is the propagation of organic acids such as lactic acid and acetic acid to preserve foods. Pickling is the use of vinegar, a product of fermentation, to preserve foods.

You can't have pickling without fermentation.

Which fermentation weights do y'all like?

Looks like you can get a four pack of these fermentation mason jar nipple things for about $24 on amazon.

This seems like it would be a lot easier than a hot canning.

Is this the same vegetable "fermentation" has a healthy bacteria culture in it at the end of it? Because it seems you need to actively infect the jar with the target bacteria to get it started

Lactobacillus develops naturally during any fermentation process. There's no need for additional cultures to get things moving.

I use the Pickle Pebbles.

amazon.com/Pickle-Pebbles-PLUS-Fermentation-Small-Batch/dp/B00V41EZNC

>amazon.com/Pickle-Pebbles-PLUS-Fermentation-Small-Batch/dp/B00V41EZNC

It looks like you can get a kit of the nipples + the stones for less than the cost of buying them separate.

amazon.com/dp/B01N5EP6MA/ref=twister_B010VLC2IK?_encoding=UTF8&th=1

Thanks for the advice famalam, I'm going to buy some of these tonight. I needed something to keep me busy since it's still to cold outside to do any yard work.

As a side note, it's really nice seeing a thread about food on Veeky Forums.

>As a side note, it's really nice seeing a thread about food on Veeky Forums.

Sadly a rare thing. I can only hope one day the community adjusts itself to a more focused perspective on board related subjects instead of posting drivel and nonsense. Anonymity shouldn't simply be about protection from repercussion, instead of an unadulterated portrayal of sense of self. If the current culture is of the latter, than I truly worry that hides inside the hearts of man.

no it's fucking not.. just look at the catalogue and hide the mchcicken threads

i'm sick of this oc on /**/ is rare these days nonsense.. you sound like stupid old boomers talking about music back in the day or cars or whatever

just stop

You must have very low standards of quality.

you must be extremely pretentious

>pretentious

A word typically used by those who lack a valid argument point against those who find deeper meaning in their interests.

good effort

poor rebuttal

at least it's coherent

and now you defuse the current point by making unrelated observations.

done.