Lets talk about Australias so called "Barbecue" culture

>So called Barbecue capital of the world
> Average Australian has never heard of "Low and Slow"
Why are Australians so proud of their culinary ignorance even in things they profess to be good at?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Ol5RpDEzLzY
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Same reason as flyover americans. When you're in an isolation bubble far from everything that matters, it's hard to get a frame of reference for your daily experiences. You tend to just assume everywhere else sucks and where you live/what you know is the best thing ever. If something is unfamiliar to you, it sucks because it's not what you're used to.

Same with everything here mate. Australia is just starting to catch up with the rest of the world in some things and falling behind in others.

American BBQ joints have just caught on here in the last year or so, so we might see some movement there.

Is it nice in Australia?

It's alright.

Theres a few in Melbourne, Went to Footscrays Up in Smoke. Compared to the American Smokehouses(lived in the US for a few years), theyre pleb tier. I think the fact that a few kilos of proper Smoke wood costs 30 dollars here is significant limiting factor. In the US, someone could get a trailer full of Hickory for 100 bucks. Im thinking of opening up a Smokehouse once cooking Wood is cheaper here.

Same could be said about coasties.

Australian wine is well regarded throughout the world though.

lol, no it's not. just because a couple of cost-no-object aussie wines won an award doesn't mean anyone thinks of good wine when they think of australia. any country with the right climate and soil *can* make good wine, but only some countries *choose* to do so. the aussies chose to make garbage, and they were rewarded with a reputation as being the bulk garbage wine kings.

They have Christmas during their summer, also new year... I can see how/why this came to be.

U DON'T COOK SHRIMP ON THE BARBIE LOW AND SLOW YA CUNT

Well it does takes time to develop a native wine industry that could compete with nations like the US and France, who both have hundreds of years of wine making knowledge. No one even knew Australia had a wine industry a few years ago.
We are rapidly improving. And with Chinese money, I think the Australian wine industry will very competitive in the next few decades.

we can only hope

tbqh it's depressing to me to think of all that wasted potential

>but we're really the same because we don't see eye to eye on this issue
absolutely not. hillbillies literally get angry and defensive when exposed to things that are different than what they're used to. city people are constantly exposed to different people, different languages, different foods, different value systems. often, rural folk even move to the city to get away from the oppressive flyover mentality that says "doing things in more than one way = dangerous and subversive"

Aaaah, yes. The Australian wine has always been celebrated for it's excellence

Who the fuck has ever said this? The barbeque capital is probably Argentina or Texas.

northerners don't distinguish the difference between bbq and grilling either but they know the difference

I just wish I could call someone a cunt without them being triggered. It's such a fun word to say.

Coastfags unironically think Barbque is grilling burgers and hot dogs on the stove. It's pathetic watching those cucks try and do anything

>you will never be so insecure about were you live you start sperging out on the cooking sub forum of a Hawaiian tapestry website

It's alright, I understand you bought into the coast meme and lost in life. Just keep prepping your women for the real alphas when we visit your shitholes on vacation

Cunts just don't know

Not really because they're exposed to a lot more and have a much better frame of reference than hillbillies who haven't left their town in a decade.

You seem a little insecure.

I think anyone that has never left their shit town to move or for short travels is pretty pathetic. It's like going to the neighborhood bar while you're visiting your hometown 10 years after you've graduated HS and seeing all of those sad fucks who never left the town.

>Texas BBQ
>Not dry and flavorless

Pick one.

It's just cooking outside and having a few beers.

You American faggots have to over complicate everything with your 'muh smokehouse' meme food because it's a step above the usual trash you eat

Thats a flyovers whole life. They hardly ever meet someone who wasn't at their high school prom.

Its sad really, I want to feel bad for them but they're so antagonistic towards culture and variety that we may as well leave them to eat their potatos and white bread in peace

You hayseeds are really cute.

Too bad all you home towns are going to dry up and die in the next 25 years, that is if everyone doesn't OD on heroin first

>ausfailia lecturing others on food

>I think anyone that has never left their shit town to move or for short travels is pretty pathetic. It's like going to the neighborhood bar while you're visiting your hometown 10 years after you've graduated HS and seeing all of those sad fucks who never left the town.
Eh, internet kind of negates this does it not?

It just makes it even more pathetic when they can objectively see how everything is better in/near the cities and they refuse to leave their garbage pile of a town.

Not even a little, and it's kind of sad that you thought that

Welcome to the future, where everyone knows everyone else is a sack of shit regardless of their best efforts to cover it up.

You have no idea what you are talking about

Sizzle steak and burnt sangas are far superior to amerifat "barbeque"

There are 3 major kinds of American BBQ and they're pretty different from each other.

i think we call all agree that Carolina BBQ is god-tier

I grew up in KS and live in NYC. You speak the truth. Although I will say having traveled to most major cities in the country, Chicago remains my favorite. I enjoy the blend of midwestern-ness and urbanity

I bet 95% of Burgers have never tried lamb on the barbie

lamb is gross. if I want to buy tough gnarly meat that has to be slow cooked for 6 hours before it's edible, I'll just get some chuck steak. plus the chuck tastes good and doesn't smell like shoes.

oh yeah I forgot the other reason lamb sucks: it's like 4x as expensive as beef for shittier meat. just why.

>lamb is gross
No it ain't ya poof. You fat cunts don't know how to cook properly.

Dinosaur BBQ consistently ranks higher than any BBQ establishment where you're from. I was pretty shocked how amazing it was the first time I went there.

The fuck is wrong with you burgers? Ask anyone from another country and they'll tell you that lamb is the superior meat. Beef is better for burgers I'll admit.

>lamb is the superior meat
they only say this because it's expensive and therefore "fancy". lamb is the lobster of the land. literally only valued because it's slightly "exotic", and idiots pretend to enjoy it even though it's tough and tastes like shit.

I'm from Kansas City, it's a bbq mecca. We have Joe's, Gate's, Arthur Bryant's, BB's, Jack Stack (poser shit imo) Rosedale, etc, etc. It's home to the annual BBQ world championships at the American Royal. I've actually been to Dinosaur and it's good!! Definitely surpassed expectations, but it doesn't hold a candle to Joe's or Gates

I know how to cook just fine, lamb tastes great in winter stews. you know what else tastes great in winter stews? beef, which is 1/4 the price

Irish stew is breddy gud senpai.

Then why do they keep winning every contest they enter?

Idk, good question... as far as I know the bbq legends in KC aren't competing much anymore, but I'd be interested in how'd they'd compare to new schoolers like Dinosaur at a competition

I refuse to eat anything with the word "irish" in it, but rest assured anything cooked that long, with enough spices and wine, is going to taste fine. lamb, beef, goat, or cat meat. animal makes no difference in taste at that point. it's not a defense of lamb to say it tastes alright in a stew.

It could definitely be that I'm just romanticizing them and I'm biased because I grew up with them as my bbq staples

Ireland is surrounded by the highest qualify shellfish and fish on the planet. Shame. I love Langoustines from Bantry Bay.

Chicago sucks, period. I went there one time in mid-january, and the fucking uniformed plebe at the train station laughed at me and misdirected me when I asked a simple question about how to get back to my hotel in Schaumburg.

Never had that experience in NYC. Always found NYC folks very helpful.

Chicago has a deep seated complex where they want to be east coast, yet just can't quite do it.

>meanwhile in America

>schaumberg
IIRC that's like 45 minutes out of Chicago if there's no traffic, but I only lived in Chicago for a couple of years. Why would you expect anyone to know how to get there?
>Always found NYC folks very helpful.
I've lived here for almost 20 years, so I probably don't count as "NYC folks", but if someone randomly asked me how to get to Syosset or Hoptacong or some such place, I wouldn't laugh in their face, but I would find it strange

>flyover
>everything that matters
it must be difficult being so special all the time.

The biggest problem with Chicago is that its surrounded by nothing even though a lot of people actually live in the city. So the city is late to the boat on a lot of things, especially food trends. When they finally get something, for example Korean Fried Chicken, the entire city hypes it up when it reality its just meh but the restaurant flourishes because theres maybe one other restaurant in the whole city also doing it. When something gets popular enough to have multiple locations, its based off the original place and its still mediocre, like all the Ramen shops in the city.

New York for example has immigrants out the ass bringing in new flavors and is in the middle of the most populous region of the US so the city has internal battles for new stuff but also has to compete with Boston, Philly, and DC whenever they develop something decent.

Chicago has what Milwaukee and then nothing

agreed

Says who? Aussie BBQ had never been about the food. The food is just there as an excuse to hang around with your mates or family while drinking and playing some crappy outdoor cricket. Here, I'll describe the average Australian BBQ.

>cheapest brand wollies sausages filled to the brim on the grill, with 5 more packets ready to go
>you walk over and designated griller and he hands you the burnt sausage without a word
>he asks you if you want onion and you answer "yes"
>you have a selection of tomato sauce, BBQ sauce and maybe mustard
>next you take a trip to the eski and grab yourself a beer, Coke, solo or maybe even a pasito if you are feeling bold

Are you retarded? or just have a disorder where your taste buds are incompetent of tasting?

i understand the reason for the word flyover.
to me its a representation of how important californians and new yorkers are in their own heads. that's why they throw fits and act like children when basically the entire rest of the country disagrees with who they think should be president.
spoiled, self centered, narcissistic personality disorder, degenerate faggots with more money than brains.

reminder

So now that we've established your superiority, will you shitheads stop puring into my state?

Did we blow up one of your squaddie pals lad?

and it all gets exported

do the circles represent the two biggest ASSPAINED areas in the country after the election? You know, the fucking losers?

>eski

Is that 'straya slang for Eskimo brand coolers?

Problem with that country is lolnogunz. All these Chinese megatrawlers go there and steal TRILLIONS worth of fish...EVERY, SINGLE, YEAR! They sneak around Great Island to hide, docking their dinghys in Cobh to drink/eat. Always see chinks in that town without papers.

Seems the Irish need be fishing and not chasing Apple for debts.

no, I just had too many acquaintances in high school and college who couldn't STFU about MUH IRISH HERITAGE. also a coworker at a previous job. drunk useless moron. what a completely useless excuse for a ''''culture'''', bad food, bad music, bad alcohol. and that last part is what really gets me. for a bunch of drunk bums you'd think the least you could do was have some interesting alcohol culture, but nah. just binge drinking muh guinness and muh jamesons.

fuck Ireland and everything associated with it

You don't know anything about Ireland besides what plasticpaddys pretend to know. What a shame.

They literally are not chasing Apple at all. The EU are trying to make them but they told them to fuck off

>t. Bullied by Irish lads

what is there to know, honestly? I mean this guy I used to work with, he couldn't have been more than 40 but he looked like was about 60 from all the alcohol damage to his face
t.drunk bum who got his homeland carved in half by foreigners

it helps, but just like the internet isn't a proper replacement for social interaction, it's not a replacement for experiencing other cultures and walks of life.

you miss out on a lot of important things when you don't interact face to face and in this case you can't really sample food over the internet.

They're not chasing was the point...as they let those megatrawlers come in amd steal their largest resource without a fight. Spineless.

All European culture revolves around art, sex, food and drink. That's about it. America is full of European dispora and their offspring, who carry on tradition.

Want to see a drunk, like...a REAL drunk? Go to France and Germany. Their drinking culture is unreal.

I've been to france, unlike the irish they actually know more than two drinks, which is why I have no bone to pick with french people unlike the island of only jamesons and guinness

Never been to germany but the germans I've met have been interesting and fun people, like the french

Irish are like a poor cousin of the britbongs. They binge drink but unlike the bongs whose colonial past exposed them to different things, the irish are utterly, utterly boring and bland

>MUH ELECTION
>Flyovers actually vote against their own self interest and are proud of it

I wonder if you guys are ever gonna realize how parasitic you are to the actually productive parts of the country

Oh so that's where the name comes from. I've always just called all ice-coolers eskys

Yea you've never seen wine-os drinking out of spittons have you. Kden. France and Germany have YUGE alcoholism problems. Ireland is dreary and miserably depressing, can't blame them for lack of fun. Also the English.

That's right.
Come down here and say that. Shit son, bet you even put beans in your chili. Faggy ass furriner. Bet you're as bright as a snake tryna wear sneakers.

youtube.com/watch?v=Ol5RpDEzLzY

In this regard the aussies know the true meaning of BBQ as it stands as a culture, you cunts just need to learn how to cook.

I wish this was an lpg conversion and the barbie was hooked straight up to the fuel tank.

>you cunts just need to learn how to cook
We know how to cook, it's just not the time or the place for that.

The australian barbecue is the equivalent to handing out hotdogs or some shit.

Fuckin' Pasito is some top tier shit

Fucking nanny state.

Goes alright, Melbourne CBD is filled with liberal special snowflakes that love to complain but everywhere else is pretty chill.

Since moving to Canberra, every other city on the east coast is top tier. Canberra is a shithole. The fucking morons who decided to build an artificial capital in the bush have a lot to account for. Same for gay cunt Sydneysiders who sperged out about Melbourne being the capital and ended up ruining it for everyone.

I agree, Sydney should've been the capital. Canberra serves no purpose other than a secluded and isolated target for nuclear armageddon back during the cold war.
On topic, I got food poisoning as a kid there once. I don't recommend.

Yep. I bet the politicians all fly back to Sydney and Melbourne as soon as they don't have any work to do here.

ur mom flys back to my dick as soon as she doesn't have any work to do in the streets

Sounds sanitary.

fuck off

I love nature's little aberrations; warm weather in winter, four leaf clovers.....Australians.

>I've never been able to cook lamb right or haven't had it cooked right so it's shit

Good keep your pleb tastes, more lamb for me

this
noone pretends it's some kind of fine dining experience. We're there to see our mates and family and possibly get drunk. Good food would be a bit of a waste really

Look at this fag. Let's point at him. Point at him and laugh.