So i was eating a shrimp earlier

so i was eating a shrimp earlier

and suddenly i realized "holy shit it's an insect"

look at this disgusting shit with all those legs and those giant bug eyes, it's so fucking ugly
if it didn't live in the sea i'd basically be eating a fucking CENTIPEDE
look at it it really is just an insect how fucking gross it may be delicious but why would anyone think "yep this looks like a tasty bug let's just eat it" ???

that flesh inside might as well be a cockroach's flesh, or a giant worm, i bet cockroaches and worms have the same consistency

i look at my shrimp's flesh in my hand and i am like "well yes this might totally just be a worm"

i am disgusted with myself now
and i am the kind of people who has eaten snails multiple times keep that in mind

how do you feel about this

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=aNdIPQ96YrM
anyforums.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

if you are under the age of 18, please discontinue browsing immediately

Anyone else really like prawns but hate the whole ordeal of having to take off the flesh and shell first?

Why is eating shellfish still in their shells a thing? Pain in the fucking arse.

i'm 22 and it is the first time in my life i realize this

If it was tasty before you knew what it was, it'll still be tasty once you get over it. Also in nature shrimps are the sea's cockroach.

Shkrimp is the fruit of the sea

I felt exactly the same way
Then lots of sushi includes shrimp, so I ate it anyway.

Crabs look like fucking spider but they delish as fuck. your point is?

This is exactly what a shrimp would say to dissuade people from eating shrimp.

I was calling them "sea bugs" in elementary school, and still do. Never ruined my enjoyment, I'd eat shrimp nearly every day if it wasn't $13/lb.

I know what you mean but shrimp taste liek the sea and if you ever watched the mantis shrimp in a documentary you must know they're pretty cool. Sea monkeys are little hrimps too and krill is made up to a large percent by gorillions of tiny shrimpy wimpys. Also land bugs taste like earth and sea bugs taste like the seaside.

DESU this is why I still eat shrimp but don't eat chicken or beef or pork etc. Pretty sure they are just insects of the sea vs. pigs who have a more complex sentience. Not sure about fish tho

they are seabugs

lobsters are sea scorpions

crabs are sea spiders

wew i never realized it, that's horrifying
i'm never eating crab again t b h i fucking hate spiders

Here's a plate of deep fried spiders from Cambodia. You can see they're a bit different from your average crab. There's not going to be a helluva lot of leg meat. I suspect they are eaten whole like soft shell crabs. Do they taste the same? I wouldn't be surprised but I haven't tried them. I would if I was in Cambodia because I'm not a manchild.

Ittt fags who cant use google

Still sea bugs.

If you start thinking too much about the tasty food you eat you'll end up going fucking vegan:

Cheese; Holy shit, it's enriched sweat sucked from under a cow then loaded with salt and bacteria and left to ferment, often until mold sets in.

Steak: It's the fucking muscles from the underside of a cow - literally muscle. The animal was killed with a bolt gun, shit itself, then was hung to drain out the blood. Then it was skinned, gutted and that particular chunk of muscle from it ended up on your plate.

Eggs: These things come out of a chicken's cloaca, the same hole they shit out of!

Sausage: Mostly scrap meat and fat stuffed into an animal's intestine.

If you're the least bit squeamish you can't think about this shit if you want to enjoy food.

Crustacians are more related to arachnids than insects.

Ignore this Autist.

Most sausage is made with cellulose now.

Eggs are sterilized after being collected.

Steak is just muscle and fat. I literally slaughtered a cow the other day with a farmer and got to choose my own steak right there. Cooked it 20 minutes after the bull was killed.

Cheese is not made from sweat. It's milk. The same shit you drank when you were a baby. Literally a mixture of fat and water with some mucous. It's sterilized and then fermented or curdled in a sterile environment.

If you're too squeamish about meat or dairy products you should kill yourself. It's a lot more humane and sterile than it was 100 years ago.

It's more gross to think of a lab grown burger than cutting meat out of a dead animal and grinding it.

>Eggs are sterilized after being collected.
Only American ones, and doing so is the reason there is a salmonella risk in raw burger eggs.

Did you ever realize that an egg is a chickens period?

Nope.
I've had crickets and lizard-on-a-stick but I don't think I could bring myself to eat one of those unless it was chopped up into something less recognisably spidery.
I fucking hate spiders.

>I literally slaughtered a cow the other day with a farmer
You're a minority. Most folks eating beef are trying not to think that it dead cow. Most folks do not want to be reminded that milk is enriched sweat with mucous. Or that eggs come out the same hole as chickenshit. Because most folks are so removed from the realities of agriculture they find these thoughts disturbing. I know people who will actually get angry when reminded they're eating part of an animal. Especially people whose only experience with living animals has been in the form of pets. I've seen self-described "animal lovers" freak the fuck out at the table when reminded that the meal they're enjoying is composed of the flesh of a once living, breathing animal.

None of this squicks me out, because like you I've spent time on farms. But it has made me more selective about they kinds of foods I buy, because there's a world of difference between the steak raised by a farmer you know and some cryovac shit sitting in Costco.

>OP eats bugs.
Everyone point at him and laugh!

I wonder who could be behind this post

Has anyone on Veeky Forums eaten a true bug? What do they taste like? I wonder what the meat tastes like/what spices or sauces would make it palatable?

I ate crickets once.
Granted they were dried training wheels tier bugs but still.
The favor is hard to describe, it's like a shrimp if you ate the shell only.
Oh, and the shell fragments are a bitch to deal with.

People that at those fried spiders said that they tasted exactly like crabs. Crabs and spiders have the same evolutionary ancestors. That did it for me.

Look at this fucker. It's just spiders that adapted to the sea.

>true bug
This term is used to refer to the genus Hemiptera. The only member of that genus that I know of people eating is the cicada. I've had crickets, which are not true bugs, but never tried cicadas. But since many of the bugs in Hemiptera are agricultural pests I'm sure most of us have inadvertently eaten them in processed products.

Interesting. Wondering what happens when you graduate up to bugs that are somewhat sizeable and aren't all exoskeleton. Like in pictures from some of my friends' travels to China I've seen roasted giant cockroaches and centipedes for sale in the open air market, with some kind of spice powder. My friends didn't try them so no reference point, and I honestly would probably be too pussy to try as well. I've eaten sweetmeats, eyeballs, all kinds of organs, blood sausage, marrow, etc and been unfazed but for some reason the thought of eating giant roasted insects makes me squirm hardcore

I guess when I said "true bug" what I really meant was "actual insect as opposed to crustaceans" rather than the actual biological classification of "true bug." That's really interesting though, I didn't know about that specification and I'm also interested to learn that cicadas are edible as they disgust me to no end.

insects don't have eyes dumbfuck

Insects have six legs.

As a veteran /an/imal I don't even feel like going into depth on this....

Generally when they are spiced it's to cover for an off flavor, or because it tastes like nothing.

That would make sense. Now I'm fascinated, I wonder if I could find anything like this in my local chinatown

You would be surprised.
They carry all sorts of interesting shit in some of those little shops.
Find the one that looks like absolute shit and the shelves are like 5 feet tall.

thank you for your service

>and suddenly i realized "holy shit it's an insect"

Someone didn't take Bio 101

Cochineal bugs are Hemipterans so most people in the U.S. have unknowingly consumed them ground-up into red food coloring.

Good answer.

Worms are not insects and neither are centipedes

You mean spiders that didnt adapt on land, life came from the seas

>Cheese is not made from sweat. It's milk
Milk is literally sweetened sweat. Breasts developed from sweat glands. Holy shit, what is biology?

Might as well say milk is hydrogen since it all came from stars

Sometimes I wonder if these threads are started by some europoor that can't afford lobster or crab and wants to take the piss out of it for everyone else

>Most sausage is made with cellulose now

Lel, maybe in the US, but not in 1st
world countries. But of course you add wood pulp to your "parmegian."

What a fucking country, the US, eh? Corporate freedom supercedes individual rights. Makes sense.

fun fact:

if you look closely in the middle of the shrimp, you can see the poop lines from where it's anus still has shit inside before it was cooked

most restaurants don't remove these

this is a really awkward post

You mean the top of the shrimp, and whether it's "deveined" usually depends on the type of restaurant. High-end seafood places usually do but if you order a shrimp cocktail from a taco shop it's probably still there.

point is, shrimp are disgusting

Where the fuck do you live? They're $8/lb here and sometimes they're on sale for $6/lb

...and scrambled eggs are just the cooked fetal fluid of a chicken. The fuck are you on about?

Eating shrimp or crawfish is kind of a nice activity. It takes a while and you spend more time working to get to the meat than you do stuffing your face so it gives you time to talk to the people at your table (assuming you're eating with a group). I fucking love shrimp and crawfish boils and can't wait until it's that time of year

Almost perfectly in the center of the U.S.

I remember reading about about some vegan shrimp substitute that supposedly tasted like the real thing, maybe it hit the market already

I sure fucking hope it will be a thing available to me soon I used to like the taste the first time I tried it but I can't get over how disgusting the source is

I don't care as long as it tastes good.

i mean, there are cultures that eat bugs, OP. it's not that abnormal

>obviously more than 6 legs
>an insect
ISHYGDDT

Shrimp are just as related to insects, centipedes, spiders, and scorpions as we are related to treefrogs and hagfish. In fact we're closer to every other mammal than shrimp are to insects.

You're also right about diet and food preference being completely fucking arbitrary. You didn't think shrimp were gross but now you do because you're reminded of how gross it is to eat crickets (except you've probably never eaten crickets or else you would realize how stupid it is to compare shrimp to them) and for some reason eating crickets is more disgusting to you than eating cow or pig flesh. There may be reasons for you to believe that, but your reasons probably aren't held up by any kind of logic.

OP, you're right that cockroaches and shrimp have similar nices in ecosystems, but that had nothing to do with their culinary value, we eat some primary consumers and don't eat most of the others. We eat some decomposers, and don't eat most of the others. We eat some producers and don't eat most of the others.

We eat what tastes good (i.e. has needed nutrients/is calorie dense/is a good source of rarer high energy molecules), what's safe to eat when prepared properly, and what's available to be foraged for or domestically grown and harvested, and what isn't culturally taboo for some reason or another.

Shrimp meet all these requirements, therefore we eat them.

*niches
goddamnit

I made shrimp today because of this thread.

Everything from the sea is ugly. Everything from the sea is delicious.

Ate a few ants once when I was like 6 because I was really hungry and outside playing.

Surprisingly sweet and tangy. No sure I could do that again unless i was a dumb fucking kid.

What would happen if you swim in there?

It would think you're ugly and delicious

When an egg finally pops out of a hen's oviduct, the vent pushes the intestinal tract closed in the cloaca. Then there's the shell and the inner membrane. Unless you're sucking on a freshly laid eggshell there's almost no chance of fecal contamination. You're much more likely to ingest fecal and soil bacteria from produce. Almost everyone who gets listeria and e.coli infections from food gets it from fruits and vegetables. Be willing to bet vegans get foodborne illnesses more often than non-vegans.

It would freak out and spit you out because whale sharks are filter feeders and can't eat big rubbery human divers. I guess there's a possibility of drowning during the freak out, but that animal has zero drive to eat human-sized prey. You'd have to try really hard and be a complete dumbass to get swallowed by one.

there is nothing off-putting about marrow. its god tier.

youtube.com/watch?v=aNdIPQ96YrM

>I let a bunch of pencil necks decides what insect is
keep drinking the cool aid, bub

It would be extremely painful

Yeah right man. I'm not going near there. That's a portal to a demonic plane just itching to harvest your soul

:( hopefully you have great BBQ

fuck off, retarded /n/n poster.

>developed from
ayyyy. You blew your own argument midway, and like the fanatical retard you are, you didn't even notice.

Except crabs are cute, spiders are icky

>wait a sec, muh tendies come from WHERE?!?! MOMMMMYYYY!!!!REEEEEEE!!!!

My family used to keep hens for fun when I was a kid and every morning I checked the nests the eggs were already shit on. It's not like they were penned or anything either; they'd go into the roost, lay their eggs, and shit on them.

>Day 462
>We're still trapped in here
>they steal our young
>we don't know where our eggs are going
>I've been shitting on my eggs for 3 months now
>these vile humans still take my babies

I've had crickets and mealworms(I feel like I'm spelling that wrong) before, they're kind of nutty, very mild flavor. Ate a worm, that was a whole different ball park of biting sour/bitter and awful. Wouldn't recommend bugs at all besides the cheap gag of eating a bug in front of your friends.

Bone marrow?? That's pretty out there, user

I remember as a young kid I saw someone preparing a lobster for the first time and I freaked the fuck out and started crying and everything. I've just had terrible arachnophobia all my life, have no idea why, and lobsters/crabs etc. look way too similar to spiders for me to even try eating them (unless they're cut up in a salad or something where I don't have to interact with the shell).

you might know it better as "osso bucco" and it's pretty common

Shrimps are delicious I feel for anyone with a seafood/shellfish allergy

Just wipe it off what are you a pussy?

This. I see past your ruse, Mr. Shrimpy.

OP just think of the human slaves that destroy their hands on a daily basis just so you can enjoy delicious Shrimp. Do it for them.

no
fuck brown people

Nebraska; Kansas; Missouri; Iowa?

That's pretty much the same argument for "gender has no biological basis"

go home tumblr.

Why would that make vegans more susceptible? Do non vegans not eat fruits and veggies as well?

This sort of reaction always confused me.

Why not think "woah, I happen to like to eat bugs. that's interesting"?

It seems kind of strange to look at a food that you actually enjoy and then invent some silly reason not to like it.

You can't sterilise organic material.

Plate of shrimp

Chicken are the fish of the land

>(((Prof)))

I'm thinking it's just the sheer odds from eating more produce.

its meat tho not liquid, like it is usually in insects