Can someone tell me what I did wrong here?

Can someone tell me what I did wrong here?

I tried to make some scrambled eggs so I heated up a cast iron skillet pan first which took fucking forever. I added my oil and then my eggs and then it started burning instantly. Shit was smoking like crazy so I threw it in the sink and let it cool off.

I found a regular pan and tried to use that. It was going OK but the thing started smoking like crazy for some reason. I don't know what was going on. The eggs were very slowly cooking though. I ended up throwing that in the sink too.

While I was cleaning off my pans, I heard a huge fucking pop come from the stove which scared the shit out of me. It sounded like a gun.

Anyone have any idea WTF went wrong? Pic related, my stove/oven

Other urls found in this thread:

thekitchn.com/5-myths-of-cast-iron-cookware-206831
scienceofcooking.com/cast_iron_cooking.htm
cooking.stackexchange.com/questions/29687/using-cast-iron-pans-only
chowhound.com/post/boil-water-cast-iron-removes-layers-season-657392
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>I tried to make eggs in a cast iron skillet
That's what you did wrong, those things take about 2 weeks to respond to changes in heat, it's like driving a 1970s detroit luxo-barge
>on an electric stove
That too

I don't know what the "pop" was but you clearly just had the heat on too high for cooking eggs. Try again, this time go lower than you'd expect and slowly increase the heat until you just barely hear the noise of the eggs cooking

Were you following Ramsay's recipe?
Why is your stove and tiles from 1972?

Heat was too high or your stove wasn't clean.

Also don't use cast iron for eggs.

Who has gas stoves these days?

1) cast iron
Why?

2) oil
Why?

Scrambled eggs don't need oil and they don't need high temperatures.

I make eggs on cast iron just fine - usually directly after cooking bacon in the cast iron. What's so wrong with eggs on a cast iron?

The heat was too high, Bobo.

If it was a hollow metallic pop, it was probably the expanding sheet metal of the stove's housing or a sheet pan in the oven. If it was an electric crackling pop, you have a loose connection in the wiring or a burner element is failing. I'd pull out the element coil and sand the connectors clean and see it it helps any. Could be an intermittent connection that's giving erratic control.

It's inefficient. If your pan is already hot then I see no reason why not. But I don't understand people who make scrambled eggs with oil. Eggs are delicious on their own why do you want to make them greasy?

Eggs require fine control of temperature. Cast iron does not offer fine control of temperature. The reason cast iron is good for searing is that changes in temperature from adding meat is resisted by the high specific heat capacity of a large chunk of iron. Same goes for adjusting the intensity of the heat source.

If you get your temperature perfect you should be able to cook eggs in cast iron, but it is certainly not the easiest way to go, especially on an electric stove which further compromises fine temperature control.

Gas stove at about "4"
Garlic infused EVOO (little bit)
Eggs
Little bit of butter

Heat oil and butter. Swirl. Wait. Swirl, add eggs, wait. Move nascent curds (Nascent. Curds.) from side to side with spatula. Wait. Move. Wait. Repeat. When the eggs are not quite done remove them to the plate you've warmed up. Add salt and pepper. Eat.

>But I don't understand people who make scrambled eggs with oil
the people who use cast iron for everything think it's normal. their entire house is glazed in a thin film of atomized kitchen grease because cooking = searing to them. I mean it makes sense when you think about it - if all you ever do is sear, why wouldn't cast iron be useful for "everything"?

name one thing that is cooked commonly, that isnt fish or butter, that doesnt warrant a sear.
Literally every meat should be seared, and cast iron is better for that.
I get saying that cast iron isnt great at every job in the kitchen, but talking like it the equivalent to cooking foods on hot rocks is fucking retarded
>oil isnt for scrambled eggs
for most people, butter and oil operate the same way, and youre an idiot if you dont have some butter in the pan for your scrambled eggs

>name one thing that is cooked commonly, that isnt fish or butter, that doesnt warrant a sear.
eggs
veggies
food you will be deep frying

>Literally every meat should be seared, and cast iron is better for that.
fish. ground beef. food you will be deep frying

>for most people, butter and oil operate the same way, and youre an idiot if you dont have some butter in the pan for your scrambled eggs
Butter is added for flavor and creaminess. Cooking oils do neither of these things.

Please learn how to cook. Thanks.

you cant deep fry in an all-clad dumb dumb
>ground beef doesnt need a decent sear
shut the hell up, and Ill ready admited that fish should be cooked in cast iron
>oil doesnt add flavor
>cooking with butter adds creaminess
and Im the one that should learn to cook?

a crushing sensation or tighness in the chest or shoulder. heartburn. dizziness. feeling of impending doom.

when they start, do not hesitate to dial 9-1-1. tell them it's a heart attack.

Scrambled eggs is the easiest thing to cook. If you're old enough to post on this site, and you can't cook scrambled eggs, you should just kill yourself right now.

>cooking with butter is gonna give you a heart attack
nah, and the rest of the time I cook with peanut oil, which is one of the better common cooking oils for you.
If this was a thread about deep frying youd have a point, but right now youre a dumb fucking nigger

>you cant deep fry in an all-clad dumb dumb
Never said you could. Why are you putting words in my mouth?

>shut the hell up,
Not an argument. You might enjoy crispy ground beef but I do not.

>oil doesnt add flavor
Neutral cooking oils do not. That's why they're neutral.

>cooking with butter adds creaminess
It does.

>name one thing that is cooked commonly, that isnt fish or butter, that doesnt warrant a sear.
Any sauce. Deserts. Pastries. Rice. Pasta. etc.

what are you deep frying in than idiot? a copper pan?
>its cant be seared and not crispy
learn to cook
I taste it, hell I can tell the difference from peanut and vegetable oil

>what are you deep frying in than idiot? a copper pan?
That wasn't the point of this discussion. I deep fry in cast iron. I never said cast iron is useless but I agree with the user that says it shouldn't be used for everything.

Peanut oil is not neutral.

guess I should have said entree cause of the autism here
of course you dont want to seat pasta you fucking moron

Coils pop ALL the time when they cool down. That's normal. It smoked because it was hot as fuck. Cook eggs on medium or medium low heat

>entree
Soups. Stews. Roasts. Meat pies. etc.

if you cook eggs in cast-iron you should castrated

yeah wow, we found out butter isn't the devil so yeah, go ahead and fuck yourself right up! I mean cold-churned dairy products are fine, and butter is a fat, right? and a doctor said fat was bad and now it's good! so clearly it follows that heterocyclic amines and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons are totally the same thing! while you're at it, go ahead and light up a cigar, the more combustion byproducts in your body, the merrier!

you've got it all figured out user

you:+1
health "experts":minus a billion

I literary use my cast iron for all of those things. If youre not searing the meat youre putting in a stew or in the oven to roast, youre wrong
Im not saying that either, its still great for most things. Saying its not good for scrambled eggs is just saying you dont know when to dump them from the pan. Theres more things that cast iron can be used for than things that it shouldnt, which is about limited to fish and delicate sauces
There are very view differences from the hunk of metal everyone decides to cook on.
I smoke cigars too so ?
Butter isnt the devil in moderation you idiot

You shouldn't boil water in cast iron. This will ruin the seasoning and leech the metal into your food.

iron is good for you mate

yep, combustion byproducts = butter, I'm tired of being confused by all these facts. I mean what do they think I'm stupid? we don't need these elitist doctors and their ''''knowledge''''.

Being born

You could use it for eggs. Or you could just use teflon or ss and make your life easier.

Cast iron is great but it's not for everything. It's not for acidic dishes. It's not for boiling. It's not for pan sauces. It's not great at sauteing.

If I was going to go for versatility, a stainless steel pot could do about 99% of my cooking. Cast iron is great at some things but not every thing.

OP Here. I just figured out that that little metal cover you see over the bottom right hand burner isn't part of the stove. I don't know what the fuck it is but the burner is actually underneath it so that explains why my pan wasn't heating up and what the pop was.

What the fuck are you trying to say. You have a point that you're trying to make but you can't stop spewing ironic bullshit for long enough to get it out.

In limited amounts yes. But you also run the risk of messing with the flavor of the dish. Don't boil in cast iron.

Wow.

don't strain yourself too hard, zika boy. you might get a small headache.

my life is just as easy with CI as with teflon dude. Acidic dishes are only bad in an unseasoned pan and I dont get this dont boil meme. I saute fine in mine
youre right on the pot tho

I take great care of my cast iron. Acidic dishes and boiling water will remove layers of seasoning. This just doesn't make sense to me. A well-cared for cast iron pot/pan gets better with time because this layer of seasoning builds up. The nonstick improves. The flavoring improves. Doing things that hurt that when you need to just don't make sense to me.

Are you too stupid to force it out? Try to take a deep breath, concentrate for a few seconds, and just type what it is you're trying to say without shitposting. Go ahead, I believe in you. You can do it, kiddo.

nah I'm good, I can see you're very adept at rationalizing your own bad decisions, so why should I ruin your fun? it's just words.

>when you don't need to*

Acidic has already be said to be an old wife's tale, like using soap. And I've never heard the boiling thing
thekitchn.com/5-myths-of-cast-iron-cookware-206831

>youre an idiot if you dont have some butter in the pan for your scrambled eggs

Nah, just not cripplingly obese, stupid fagmerican.

>Acidic has already be said to be an old wife's tale, like using soap

From your own source:
>Recipes including very acidic foods, like tomatoes and citrus juices, should not be cooked in seasoned cast iron until the cookware is highly seasoned. The high acidity of these foods will strip the seasoning and result in discoloration and metallic-tasting food.
You won't get metal food from highly seasoned. But it will still eat at the seasoning.

As for boiling, it is common sense. When you deglaze a ban you bring the liquid to a boil and bring up all the sucs to create your fond. Why do you think the seasoning on cast iron would be immune to this? You will eat at your seasoning doing any of these things.

Yeah if all your cooking is tomato sauce then don't use cast iron.
Seasoning isn't just burnt on shit dude. It won't come off during boiling for the same reason it won't come off with soap, its chemically bonded to the iron, not physically

That happens when you heat the pan with no oil/butter in it.
If you do it the proper way, you'll have an indicator of how hot the pan is by just looking at how fast the butter melted, or if the oil is bubbling. Then you won't burn anything.

Again, from your own link:

>If you do use soap, mild detergent is recommended, and the more important step is to dry and oil your cast iron immediately. (See our instructions here for the best way to dry cast iron.) Do steer clear of using the dishwasher, strong detergents, and metal scouring pads, which can indeed remove seasoning.

Oil is removed with soap. A small amount of mild soap won't do shit for the same reason a bit of tomato sauce don't. Nothing happens immediately. But if you're washing you pan every day with soap guess what? You're keeping your seasoning from building up.

These are well-known things about cast iron and it's obvious you don't know how to properly treat and care for your cast iron. It's your property, but you should honestly take more pride in your tools.

If it washes off, it didn't chemically bond. Don't fucking insult how I treat my items you dumbass. It's called polymerization, look it up.

OBSESSED

I am aware of that. Boiling water and acidic shit will still strip that.

scienceofcooking.com/cast_iron_cooking.htm
>Note2: Acidic foods, such as tomatoes, will deteriorate the seasoned coating of your pots and pans

But at this point it's obvious you just want to be right and will ignore common sense and facts.

>the flyover hero standing up for america on the internet
god bless you for doing this! otherwise foreigners might think we were weak!

at this point its obvious that you think seasoning is tissue paper when its more like a finish. next youll say that metal utensils will scrape off the seasoning if you use them normally.
Ive alreay said that the overuse of tomatoes in cast iron is probably bad for it, youve yet so show me anything, and I have yet to see anything in my own google searches that says anything about boiling
kys numbnuts

cooking.stackexchange.com/questions/29687/using-cast-iron-pans-only
>Boiling water or applications where you might evaporate water out of a cast iron pan (e.g., steaming an oven) will eventually strip off the seasoning on cast iron if you do it too much

>a fucking yahoo questions like site

>everyone is wrong I am right
chowhound.com/post/boil-water-cast-iron-removes-layers-season-657392

>another yahoo answers like site

>autists go bezerk defending their retarded gimped old timey cosplay pans
>every fucking day

what is wrong with you people anyway, don't you ever cook anything that requires precision control?

Reminds me of a grandma that insists butter should be placed on burns. Despite overwhelming evidence this makes things worse, she will cling on to her beliefs.

Do you ever think about your grandma rubbing butter on herself when you look at photos of her in her early 20's?

Cast iron is a meme. Your parents told you to keep your cast iron because muh heritage muh tradition. Protip, there is a reason Teflon is king.

>teflon is king
>parents dont know more than you
My parents got me new cast iron cunt

>the teflon meme

One tiny scratch ruins the whole pan

No one got time to wait around for your pan just to cook some damn eggs. A teflon pan is like 15 dollars, don't use metal in it. If it gets scratched buy a new one god.

>turn on burner
>scramble eggs in a cup
>oh wow the pan is hot enough for my eggs

It takes longer for cast iron to heat up and you know it.

>hurr durr i will use an inferior method of cooking eggs so i can tip my fedora and use muh cast iron

no, and I cook with cast iron every day, maybe I pour my coffee in my mug, but thats it
>caring about the efficiency when theres very little difference

If you think ground beef shouldn't be seared, you're objectively wrong and all your opinions are trash.

>what I did wrong

Electric stove
Do you love in a poor country without LPG?

Your kitchen is astoundingly 70s, like holy shit.
Also, though you /can/ cook eggs in cast iron, I wouldn't. Not really worth the trouble of maintaining even heat. Your pan was too hot, and cast iron takes forever to cool down.

Depends what you're making. Meatloaf? No you don't sear your groundbeef. Hamburger? Yes you do. Don't be so stupid.

>no, and I cook with cast iron every day,
So do I. It takes at least 5 minutes to the cast iron to go to the desired temperature. There is no advantage to cooking scrambled eggs in cast iron you just want to be euphoric.

>Name one thing that is cooked commonly that doesn't warrant a sear
Brownies.

You did wrong by not having an induction based stovetop.

I never said there was an advantage, I said it was fine to do

muh methods
muh eggz

You're on Veeky Forums complaining about cooking properly and telling people who explain how to go to cook properly to go to reddit.

You, sir, are the reddit.

Custard

Pasta.

these are the types of fucking idiots that populate a food and cooking board.

Are you seriously implying that you didn't know that cover could be taken off and there was a fourth coil underneath it? For how long have you been using that stove??

You can achive precision control with cast iron, too. Just start with the right temperature, then maintain it throughout the cooking process. Cast iron actually makes that easier than other pans because it won't cool down so much when you put food in it.

You can achive precision control with cast iron, too. Just start with the right temperature, then maintain it throughout the cooking process. Cast iron actually makes that easier than other pans because it won't cool down so much when you put food in it Just learn how to cook.

ehh... eggs should be cooked at low heat... cast iron is pretty worthless at low heat.

It is not the cast iron, it is your shitty stove. I have a 2000W induction cooktop and my cast iron skillet takes maybe 20 seconds to heat up enough for scrambled eggs.

>your stove is shit unless it is induction

I'm just saying it is the stove, not the skillet. I do 95% of my cooking on a glass ceramic electric oven and ist still doesn't take anywhere near five minutes to heat up. Naked coils are just utter inefficient shit and totally unknown and unavailable in Germany for instance. I love induction for its best properties but I also hate it for its worst, most of all and especially the poor temperature control at very low to medium low temps. That might just be my cheap ass portable cooktop, though. I have heard the top of the line inbuilt stoves work much better.

Every one has gas dummy

flyover detected

Is that an insult? He lives outside of a major city and has a superior stove?

flyover detected

how is flyover an insult? you realize any coast state is flyover too if I am flying international

lol stupid cuck

flyover detected

oh, honey.

falseflagging flyover detected

what kind of bizarro land is this? gas is a city thing, the people who have electric do so because there are no gas mains out in bumfuck nowhere.

>scrambled eggs
>starting with a very hot pan

You fucked up the very first step, user.

Gas is not a city thing.

t lives in the city

OR! All cities are different. Really made me think

i've never /not/ had a gas stove.

cheap apartments and expensive ones a like.

even have a gas oven right now...that's the more rare one.