The official food truck employee thread

the official food truck employee thread
>tfw just started working at a rotisserie chicken truck
AMA, or post your own food truck experiences

This one time, I was walking downtown with my buddies, and I saw this Ethiopian food truck and asked "Shouldn't the menu be blank?"
The lady running it laughed.

Let's see the menu.

How much in sales do you generate on average?

>be me in the Bay Area pre-truck fad
>it's all hispanics
>making the best tacos and burritos known to man
>no flash, no marketing, no gimmick
>all of a sudden
>millenials
>millenials everywhere
>ayyyyy try our Korean fusion
>kimchi taco $7
>pork belly wrap $12
>chicken and waffles rofl $14
>gone are the Juans and Robertos
>replaced with a seething army of Blaines and Hunters and Karen's
>hawking their overpriced hipster food to every crowd over 8 that manages to stand still for longer than 10 minutes
>hi user, welcome to the FOOD TRUCK RALLY LOLOLOLOLOLOL
>admission $15

it's usually just chicken, brussel sprouts, and potatoes. sometimes we have special items, like duck or pork knuckles, but those are seasonal and generally sell out quickly. the sales vary from market to market, since I'm not yet a manager I don't know the exact amounts in cash, but we generally sell anywhere from 40-140 chickens per day, plus around the same number of sides and 10-30 special items (if we have them)

the food truck company I'm in has been running for 15 years, and one can get a pretty decent meal for under $10 at our trucks very easily (or a meal for two for $15)

no one else have any cool food truck stories?

I saw one once

Fucking food trucks are gross. No sanitation, no seating, no service. All disposable shit to ruin the environment while stinking up the place with diesel. Maybe these are cool in California where the weather is fucking perfect, but it is bullshit here, seasonal bullshit for summer festivals only.
These cancer trucks are nothing more than tax evasion. I will gladly patronize a real restaurant that actually pays taxes, provides services to the customers, and employment for the people who live there.
There's my "cool" food truck story. Now go fuck yourself. If I see one of these shit boxes parked out front, I'm calling police.

This is all nonsense

Your reasons are so convincing! Well said, user.

i have a real problem

every time i see a rotisserie chicken I have to buy it and eat the whole thing like a savage

where are you located? i need to buy one of your chickens.

>implying food trucks aren't regulated to shit
>implying local companies which have been operating for decades don't pay taxes, have loyal customers, or provide employment to locals
>implying the police don't frequent our trucks
what's the matter, restaurantfag? you buttmad because we're providing a better, faster, more convenient product at a lower price than you ever could? enjoy pushing overpriced wine while you can, because the days of "full service" restaurants (aside from the very best ones, where fags like you certainly can't get a job) are numbered

Imagine being a restaurant owner in the city. You pay your mortgage and taxes, and contribute to the city with some pride and a permanent presence. You maintain your property, you provide parking, bathrooms, and a climate controlled, comfortable dining room.
Now, a bunch of spics in a food truck show up and park out front. The smelly piece of shit fouls your view, stinks like shit, and the engine and grill idles all day emitting blue smoke. The customers eat there instead, but still use your restrooms and fill your parking spots and garbage cans. Half of the assholes just drop their plastic forks right on the ground. Those spics dont pay a dime in property tax, they just drive away when the customers leave. Tell me again why this is a good thing? I'm listening.

You had me until racial non sequitur.

There are so many millennial American food trucks as to make hispanic trucks a non issue. True the hispanic trucks were the forebearers of the movement, it's been readily picked up by plenty of Americanos

Go to the Pittsburgh (pgh) taco truck.

>shit is small
>expensive for what you get
>only slightly better than taco bell
>never went again

you sound like an immigrant. go back to mexico you spic.

this

the problem is that food trucks are inherently without roots, they aren't an established local institution and could move across the country if they really wanted to

see we live in a capitalist country, and food trucks have a better business model. don't like it? either learn to compete, or drop out and become a whining commie like the rest of the losers

Lol you're so wrong though

It is good for the consumers who don't give a fuck about your expenses. Don't like it? Close down. Not like you are in a dying business.

Or be smart and send your own food trucks out.

Its not a better business model, its detrimental to our cities and the environment. What confuses me is somehow stupid-ass millennials think this is somehow hip and cool. Only low class people eat on a paper plate with a spork in the street. Listen to traffic, buzzed by flies, either getting sunburn, sweating, or freezing to death, eating a taco made by some tax evading ghetto dweller who has no place to wash his hands or take a shit. Wow, that sounds real appealing.

Do you have autism?

Yeah... I'm a bit on the spectrum.

kek

my truck has several sinks, and we have arrangements with local businesses for bathroom facilities (like pretty much all food trucks in this area). also, most of our customers (and most I've seen at other trucks) are boomers, so your "le mulenial" meme is utterly false. though maybe if you stay butthurt enough, and your city council is sufficiently cucked, they'll pass some minor restrictions on us to prop up your failing hole in the wall

You seem to think I'm a restaurant owner. I'm not. I'm an engineer and I could care less about you stupid shit food prep losers.
I do have civic pride and care about the environment, fairness, local employment, and a healthy urban landscape. Your shitty food truck is a threat to all of that, and I fucking hate you.
That said, I also do not want to stand in the street listening to your stinking school bus truck, eating with a spork in the sun or rain, attracting flies. There is absolutely no appeal, can you explain to me how you provide good service?

Just to add in here, Chef is a great film and Veeky Forums personified.

>local celeb chef goes into the food truck business
>hilarity ensues

John Leguizamo also had a great role as a supporting cast member

Just looking at the cover I'm going to judge it.
Too many smug fucks in one truck.
Imagine the amount of protein filled farts they all must do.

Everything you are complaining about you will never use any energy or money of your own to fight against.
If you're not just a keyboard warrior, prove it.

Look man it's a good film

That's all

People told me the same thing about 'The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou' and I walked out less than 20 minutes in.
It wasn't even objectively funny or clever.
If you can guarantee it's better than that, I'll check it out.

the film is a twitter tutorial

I will sneak up behind your truck with a car jack, and start lifting that unstable piece of shit. The moment you detect its leaning, I will have six friends all give a mighty push, as your beloved porta-potty tips over onto its side, hopefully killing you and your employees slowly, as the hot fryer oil spills onto you and ignites.
And I do indeed use my energy to defeat you. I speak with my alderman, I vote against your "cause", I am very vocal when I speak my mind and spread ideas regarding this. My voice and influence travels farther than yours, chef. I vote with my wallet when I visit real brick & mortar establishments, and sneer at the pathetic shitbox parked outside. How on Earth can you claim the moral high ground here, I think even (You) know you are a cancer on the city.

God this is awful fan fiction.
Just buy a burger or get the fuck out of my line.

>I will have six friends all give a mighty push
The fact that you claim to have six friends period is the least believable part of your food-truck-worker snuff fanfiction

The better business model is whatever gets you the most money for your investment. All that matters.

I have no sympathy for business owners who can't adapt and blame anyone but themselves for their dying business.

Maybe if so many restaurateurs weren't idiots with too much money and no common sense to go with it who fail within their first year they would be smart enough to skip all that bullshit from the beginning and get a truck.

>I'm an engineer

And it comes out. You ever wonder if someone is an engineer? Don't worry, they'll let you know.

They'll really give any misanthrope a STEM degree these days. You go to ITT for your diploma?

Go back to your Legos and euphoric athiest discussion board, kiddo.

Since when did in this thread provide diplomas?
Also wouldnt u rather have a docterate?

dont anser i googled it myself.
>ITT Technical Institute was a for-profit technical institute with approximately 130 campuses in 38 states of the United States. All ITT Tech campuses were closed as of September 6, 2016

Someone is jealous they couldn't finish high school, and now serves burgers from a hot smelly truck.
Do you want me to feel sorry for you? Because I dont. And I also am not eating from your dump truck.
Its all I need to say.

You need to practice apostrophes.

Post your feet or fuck off attention whore

>buying garbage from a Paki that lives in a truck
>better business model

Neck yourself

fag

>He didn't know about the ITT Tech scandal
Shit goes deep, enjoy.

You should go back to /b/, troll school started 6 minutes ago!!!

keked

Seems like there's a lot of poorfag truck cucks on Veeky Forums these days.

Damn. What a shame.

Do you inject brine? they always seem to have much more flavor than the ones i make.

What?

>live in Nashville on the south side where Thompson and Briley come together right by I-24
>very "culturally enriched" part of city just south of me
>there's this Shell station I would usually get gas at/get my oiled changed at.
>this Mexican dude has a food truck set up in the corner of the parking lot
>over the years, get to know him and sometimes make a special trip down there just to get lunch
>3 flank steak tacos, grilled onions, cilantro, and homemade tomatillo salsa for about $3
>so fucking good
>eventually move away but a year later I return and seek out my old hispanic friend
>looks like he got a newer truck! I park and get out and approach
>no shit, just like described it's now owned by a couple of tattooed white hipsters with Obama stickers selling Thai-Mexican fusion tacos
>$8 for two shitty Thai mango chicken tacos with 50/50 ratio of chicken to breading and too much sesame seeds

Fuck those guys. I guess my point is sometimes food trucks can be cool, but often they're very un-cool. Don't paint everything in just black or white, people. Of course this is Veeky Forums so nvm

nope, we just use air chilled, never frozen chickens, rub them down with our proprietary blend of herbs and spices, and cook them on the rotisserie for around an hour and a half

>>live in Nashville

Stopped reading there

Why are you wasting the best years of your life doing this? Even worse is that you're trying to justify it.

I don't get it somebody please explain at me.

it's a chill job, I get free/discounted food (and not just from the truck, we usually work farmer's markets and cut deals with the other vendors there), and with the commission system we have it's possible to make wages much higher than most food service jobs

>what is the most famous famine in the last 100 years?

It sounds like you have low aspirations. Probably from low test. Stop smoking weed and be the man your grandfather would be proud of.

The potato famine in Ireland?

What's wrong with Nashville, smarty pants?

He said last 100 years. Potato famine was 19th century you dip

What? The potato famine happened like 40 years ago.

Ah yes the potato famine of the 1970s how could I forget

Why is food from food trucks normally more expensive than what I could get in a brick and mortar location?

I live in Chicago and our food trucks are pretty heavily regulated. There are cheap Mexican food trucks that are cheap and decent, but you have to go to the Mexican neighborhoods to find them

it sounds like you are trying to shit on someone else's life choices to feel better about your own, which you wouldn't need to do if yours were actually as good as you claim

>he thinks 1845 was 100 years ago

What did I claim lad?

>admission fee for a food truck rally
Was it sponsored by the local synagogue?

So you admit that you've made a life choice to be a useless stoner with low test?

>I will commit domestic terrorism to save the town

At least someone is committed to the cause

I worked at a chip truck my first summer out of high school. It was fucking sweet. Didn't have to interact with a boss, got to wear what I wanted and listen to music all day, got to eat and drink whatever I wanted at any time, got to occasionally work with other teenagers and dick around in a chip truck, got to occasionally work late night events where drunk people would tip 20 bucks a pop. It was a fantastic time

Hey buddy, I'm an user from the timeline where the hipster food truck fad never took off and it remained a market for poor mexican schmucks making good (dirty) authentic food.
It's pretty nice, I've only seen one food truck pedaling hipster fare and it quickly left due to lack of business about 2 years ago.
I don't know exactly where are timelines diverged, but I managed to get to this Veeky Forums by means I cannot disclose. feel free to ask me anything.

He's probably a hopeful britbong of middle eastern origin.

Food trucks are nice. One of em at the weekly meetup downtown sells philly cheese steaks in an egg roll.

How does it feel to reply to yourself you disgusting abscess?

LOL What?? I think you meant to send that elsewhere, chap.

I must have really, really hit the nail on the head!

I think not cunt. Do you send yourself text messages and pretend you're chatting to someone on your phone too?

It's time to an hero lad.

You cook chicken in a truck. You have no value.

>tfw I work full time at a grocery store deli and get to snack on rottiseries that fall apart in the oven

You must've been bullied as a kid

>complaining about Americans taking over from illegal beaners