I want to cook a traditional Chinese dish that involves meat but isn't General Tso's Chicken. What should I make?

I want to cook a traditional Chinese dish that involves meat but isn't General Tso's Chicken. What should I make?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=VI5-BqBHwF8
thewoksoflife.com
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

general tso's shrimp or sesame chicken.

rice

Bell Peppers and Beef

Panda tenderloin with soy sauce. My Chinese grandmother makes it every christmas

For me it's the-

I mean make some Lemon chicken

>traditional Chinese dish

Honestly OP this is the wrong place to ask. Unironically, try /r/cooking or whatever. Nobody here cooks authentic dishes.

we can cook authentic too

dog

every food that doesnt have synthetic fillers is inarguably authentic.

the way I see it, if someone cooked it with the intention of someone eating it, it is authentically food. Chinese food, Mexican food, Fish food, Dog food, it doesnt matter what kind of creature the food is designed for, it's all authentic food.

Wrong. Shit like orange chicken from panda express is not authentic chinese food. Just like taco bell ain't mexican food.

if it's intended for a chinese to eat it, it's chinese food.

I have a big cookbook on Asian cuisine. Want me to take a picture of a recipe for you?

that's the stupidest logic i've ever heard.. you should consider killing yourself.

Why not?

is the shit I feed my dog not called "dog food"?

I'm chinese, I just typed what I eat everyday, I honestly don't know what's traditional in a foreigners eyes

BBQ Pork buns!

>feed the dog cat food
>dog dies of malnourisment
>b-but I fed my dog dog food!

>onions
>soy sauce (do not overuse, it is a flavoring agent and like anything else it will overwhelm a dish)
>salt
>sugar
>pepper
>some fucking meat who gives a shit
>heat
i got you, OP. no need to thank me

Salt and Pepper shrimp with steamed rice
just need some peppers, some whole shrimp in shell and some salt.
The pinnacle of cantonese cuisine

Onions... soy sauce and salt

Fried rat

Shrimp cooked in the shell is so fucking good.

Make red cooked pork (hong shou rou) or char siu.

Much of Americanized Chinese food did originally come from Chinese immigrants, though. Is that not food from Chinese people? Do they have to be current citizens for their culinary contributions to count even if they learned their skill in their native land and merely adapted it to the tastes of a specific market, like you might get province to province in China?

Not that guy but you seem really confused. The issue with Panda Express is that it's fast food, and tastes completely fucking terrible. There's good American Chinese, there's average merican Chinese, and there's shit Merican Chinese, PExpress falls squarely into the shit category.

You can find good Chinese food at a mall, but they're malls catering to Asian people, they're generally referred to as food courts, you find a lot of them in the more suburban parts of California, as well as Flushing NY. If the mall has a "Westfield" sign in front of it, don't eat the food there, it's that simple.

>panda express came from chinese immigrants
ok lad

let me guess, you think teriyaki is chinese, too?

Steamed pork buns are really good. I'd recommend browsing YouTube for authentic Chinese recipes.

China is fuckhueg and there's lots of regional dishes and styles of food.

A lot of authentic Chinese food is not very popular with Americans for a good reason: much of it is organ meats or meats they're not used to eating. "Duck blood curd" isn't something that John Q. Public is going to order.

Go to an authentic Chinese place, the place that actual Chinese people go to heat. You might like it. I'm usually pretty grossed out, not because it's objectively gross (Europeans invented shit like haggis and blood pudding and foie gras so who am I to judge) but because I'm not used to it.

what meats do you have

youtube.com/watch?v=VI5-BqBHwF8
this is pretty dope but you would probably need to go to an asian supermarket to get the ingredients

>traditional dish
>general tso

thewoksoflife.com Pick a recipe. As user noted above, you'll need to aquire some specialized ingredients, site has a detailed list. Post results.

Sichuan and Hunan are the GOAT regions.

She rest are pretty bland IMO. But they're still worth a try over the regular americanized shit, because you can occasionally find something interesting. One near me has this weird sweet/sour/spicy korean bbq fusion thing on their "authentic" menu that is easily one of the best things I've had at a chinese place.

It's a shame every crappy chinese restaurant in america just slaps random region names onto their sign so you can't actually find the legit food you're looking for anywhere.

Oh, absolutely Panda Express has shitty food, but are the recipes they use not the same as most Chinese places run by Chinese people, only made more sloppily with low-quality ingredients? How much variation do you get between orange chicken recipes when the basis is "chicken chunks, breading, sweet orange sauce"?

It'd be bold to claim any sort of corporatized chain of ethnic food is "authentic" to the culture it's derived from, but I'm challenging the general notion of authenticity.

>How much variation do you get between orange chicken recipes when the basis is "chicken chunks, breading, sweet orange sauce"?
If you ever had the same dish between the two then you'd know there's a big difference. It's like taco bell vs. taqueria. You're wrong, you should just admit it.

There is WAY more variation in orange chicken than variation in other common restaurant foods like burger and pizza. Those two seem to get by just fine with multiple restaurants serving different products

> How much variation do you get between orange chicken recipes when the basis is "chicken chunks, breading, sweet orange sauce"?
How much variation do you get when the recipe is "a squat puck of ground beef between two pieces of bread "?

Sweet and Sour Pork. Combine 4tbsp sugar, ketcup, rice vinegar and a dash or dark soy sauce. Egg wash pork chunks then coat w/cornclour, deep fry. Stir fry peppers, onions, garlic, chillis then remove. Add sauce and reduce to desired consistency, then add veg and chicken, toss and voila.

I remove the veg becuz the onion adsorbs the sauce.

Adding to this (different user):

Use egg whites for a better coating. The yolks make it less crispy.

Pepper Beef.

You'll need some Oyster Sauce, Fresh Jalapeno's, Fish Sauce, Sesame Oil, and Sesame Seeds...

Hong Shao Rou, it's delicious

Mapo tofu

Dogs don't die of malnutrition from cat food. It's actually the opposite. Cat food is incredibly high in fat, which cats need a lot of but dogs don't. If you fed your dog cat food it'd get overweight fast. This is also the reason why dogs love eating cat food, which anyone whose owned a dog and a cat at the same time can tell you.

Thanks for needlessly correcting my analogy you pedantic asshole. This is why nobody likes you.

do a quick google search of hunan style hotpots. serve with side of rice. hunan style things are often spicy but very good. recomending you try frog

this

Dan dan noodles

Yelp helps a lot with thi;, you have all the pictures, reviews, and websites in the world at your disposal to help you find more authentic Chinese.

Most of the actual Chinese dishes I know I've never heard in English. I can only vaguely describe them.

Alright I'll help you out pal.
Some sort of spare ribs - there's the dim sum version and the braised version
Braised red pork if you can handle the rendered fat
Twice cooked pork - recipe is slightly complicated
Soy sauce beef (jiang niu rou) - this one looks nice but it's pretty bland to eat by itself.
Jing jiang rou si - personally I'd pick this. Easy recipe. All you really need to know is how to pan fry tortillas.

>Jing jiang rou si
>All you really need to know is how to pan fry tortillas.

nigga you best be joking.

you wrap the meat in tofu skin not fucking tortillas.

I've never seen fresh tofu skin in any asian supermarket, but if you can find it, go for it. And by tortillas, I mean chinese crepes, like the ones used for beijing duck. People even use lettuce nowadays, so it's really not critical.

Scratch that, I guess crepe isn't really the right word either. The point was that as long as you know how to make tortillas, you wouldn't have a problem making the recipe.

beef shanghai

This is authentic Chinese. Visited my dads village in rural China for the first time, he used to be a poor farmer.

Pretty comfy desu.

Orange chicken
Kung Pao chicken
Sesame chicken
Chow lo mein
Shrimp fried rice
Beef and broccoli
Steamed rice
Fortune cookie

Honestly, the first question you have to ask is... Do you? Really? Chinese cooking stretches a huge geographic locale, and honestly a lot of it doesn't fit the western palette. Sugar Beets didn't hit China until the 20th century, and even then sugar was rare and expensive, and thusly rarely used in cooking in any substantial amount, so you're not going to get any sweet flavors, Instead, cheap spices means you get a lot of strange, fermented, and aromatic cooking, often with odd and awkward animal parts. We're used to making the most of the few livestock we have, so a lot of the best chinese food is really re-purposed scraps, which would go to dogs in the west.

Out of this thread,

Are pretty authentic, ignore everything else. Orange chicken, sesame chicken, whatever, are considered kid's treats in China and no self-respecting grown man orders that shit.

I recommend Salted Pork and hundred year old egg congee, look it up. It's got a mild, creamy flavor and is easy to make, it's foreign to a western palette but not TOO out there.

Fuck man that list makes me hungry. White subhumans have no idea how fucking good spicy intestines, duck tongues, or duck blood is. One of my favorites is Szechuan styled, Spicy boiled blood, tripe, and kidneys. Pour that shit over rice and you've got a fantastic blend of textures and flavors. The metallic taste of the blood and the texture of the tripe and the strange flavor of the kidneys. Great shit.

>that Noh Mai Gai
Man, you've got me hankering for some of that shit. I used to live in rural China too, those places can be shitholes but the sense of family and tradition is palpable.

Plus, great food. Nothing like fresh quail eggs stir fried with wild herbs.

>lemon
No lemons or limes in China.

fry ribs until brown
add pieces of corn
add dark soy sauce, salt, garlic cloves, ginger, brown sugar
add water and bring to boil
reduce heat and simmer slowly until sauce is rich, thick and tasty and the corn is soft

東坡肉

I wanted to mock you and call you a chink in the process, but I'll refrain this time.

Picture looks good!

Chinese girlfriend would come over and make some kind of hotpot thing.

It was water and oil in an electric wok, random shit from the fridge and whatever else we found laying around. Onions, mushrooms, bok choi, carrots, peppers, and sliced meat (usually chicken, sometimes pork or beef).
I always insisted on at least salt and garlic.

She did used to make these great beef meatballs, though. Fresh chopped ginger, egg, flour, salt and pepper folded into ground beef.

She was from Southern China, I think around Nanjing area.

some of my favorite foods are red braised pork, egg with tomato and eggplant.
my waifu cooked this

>Chinese crepes
No such thing, crepes were invented by the Bretons in 4.903 B.C. and stolen by the cowardly French in 1943

Bready gud senpai

What's in the pic?

Nigga that aint dan dan noodles, not even close

>I've never seen fresh tofu skin in any asian supermarket, but if you can find it, go for it. And by tortillas, I mean chinese crepes

ah fair enough lad

>Chinese food, Mexican food, Fish food, Dog food, it doesnt matter what kind of creature the food is designed for

I laughed. Here's a (you)

>He thinks American Chinese food and actual Chinese food are the same thing

Are you dumb? Everyone knows they're different and they're both good in their own way

You're gonna have to go somewhere else. Veeky Forums is only for memes.

Ground pork with eggplant
Pork belly slow cooked
Kung pao chicken (cucumber and peanut with dried chillis)
Beef with potato
Roasted duck if you wanna be fancy

Jian bing are delicious if you wanna put effort into it

You can also try doing homemade dumplings which is not as hard as it sounds. Buy the wraps at chinese market, search for some good fillings (typically pork, cabbage, mushrooms with some shaoxing wine, salt etc.) Put a little pit of filling in center, use water to seal it up with your fingers.

Kung Pao Chicken