How do you prepare your steak before cooking it?

How do you prepare your steak before cooking it?
Do you trim?
Do you salt?
Do you tenderize?

Other urls found in this thread:

seriouseats.com/2013/06/the-food-lab-7-old-wives-tales-about-cooking-steak.html
youtube.com/watch?v=GZ4xl7XJM08
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Depends on the cut, but for the most part

>generously salt and pepper it
>let it come to room temperature
>LET IT COME TO ROOM TEMPERATURE
>add some oil, like olive oil (inb4 Veeky Forums contrarians come out of the woodwork screaming that olive oil is meme food without backing up their complaint with anything)
>get a cast iron skillet screaming hot
>varies based on thickness but usually 3-4 minutes per side
>remove steak from pan, let rest for 5-10 minutes
>perfect medium rare steak

>Trim.
>Salt pepper, garlic.
Cook to a rare, either on a pan or charcoal if I can get away with it.
>If charcoal add cherry, and apple wood to the coals for smoke.

My parents are both chefs, so most chances they'll to it better than I ever can

This but i thaw it between my naked thighs bwfore seasoning, using my sweaty ballsack as a sort of heating pad.

Unless it's mignon or ribeye I'll marinated it in something with a vinegar base to tenderise. Trimming is fucking stupid, it makes the steak dry.

But yeah sirloin is pretty shit, but marinate it in some Italian dressing for a couple hours and it becomes grade A steak.

>I'll marinated it in something with a vinegar base to tenderise

doesn't work

>Trimming is fucking stupid, it makes the steak dry.

not necessarily

> marinate it in some Italian dressing

christ, america is a shithole

>Having your steak shaped like India
>Poo in Moo

obsessed.

And it does work, i do it all the time.

While i wait for it to cook well done, i go get my 'chup

the fact that you do it all the time doesn't make it work. vinegar will only make it slightly tougher and have a shitty sear

coming to room temp is a meme, try it side by side and youll realise it makes no difference at all

>dont let steak come to room temp
>cook it like a normal steak timewise to med rare
>cut into it
>completely blue

unless you're going to start or finish it in the oven NOT letting it get to room temp is a meme

leaving it out probably helps with the sear a bit but i find it unlikely it affects the overall doneness to any significant extent

If you have a dry-aged steak letting it get to room temp helps create that ungodly crust but I see where you're coming from.

how long do you leave it outside to get to room temp?

idiot

Try making a london broil with marinating.

Why would you trip the fat?

Yes, salt. But only if you let it rest with the salt for half an hour or else you will lose juices.

>tenderize
If it's a shitty cut yes.

usually 15 minutes before cooking, 'room temp' is gonna always feel colder than what you think it is so i usually just go by time.

not him but just leave it out for 20mins. getting it to room temp would take forever

as long as it isn't fridge cold it'll be fine

a thick steak will rise about 0.5-1F in 15-20 minutes,considering the temp of your pan and the temp thats needed to evaporate water it is iless than insignificant,rather salt it and rest it uncovered to draw out surface moisture

Got a source to that?

You're probably talking about internal temperature which is obvious, but we're talking about the surface.

seriouseats.com/2013/06/the-food-lab-7-old-wives-tales-about-cooking-steak.html

as a reference, but just test it yourself next time, its probably one of the most sturdy cooking myths, if getting the steak closer to final temp would be the goal you should reverse sear,sousvide or any other method that actually does something

doesn't address the argument that it is of some benefit on the surface

> but what about the searing? The outer layer of the rested steak must be warm enough to make a difference, right?
>Here's the issue: Steak can't brown until most of the moisture has evaporated from the layers of meat closest to the surface, and it takes a hell of a lot of energy to evaporate moisture. To put it in perspective. It takes five times more energy to convert a single gram of water into steam than it does to raise the temperature of that water all the way from ice cold to boiling hot. So when searing a steak, the vast majority of energy that goes into it is used to evaporate moisture from its surface layers. Next to that energy requirement, a 20, 30, or even 40 degree difference in the temperature of the surface of the meat is a piddling affair.

>hurrr if people do it it's a MEME
>gotta avoid things that Veeky Forums says are MEMES
>if I do something that Veeky Forums says is a MEME then I'm a loser
>daily makes threads asking if "x ingredient" is a meme
>can't research and experiment on my own so I better ask a Thai waterboarding enthusiast board what to think before I can decide if I like something

You and all those on this board like you - please kill yourselves.

except in this case he's right

This is true but so funny to watch butthurt idiots try to defend resting your steaks. I usually let my meat sit out while I prep other stuff just so I don't have to handle a super cold stwak.

Thanks, Alton Brown

The vinegar breaks down the meat it does not make it tougher, your a fucking idiot, germans and slavs have been cooking down meats with vinegar based dressings for centuries.

>don't let your steak come to room temp
>cook steak and it comes out like pic related
Unless you want a burnt steak there's no way to get that shit medium rare unless you reverse sear/souis vide first.

Olive oil shouldn't be used because it has a lower smoking point. Use Avacado.

Regular olive oil works fine, it has a high smoke point. It's only Extra-Virgin that would be silly to use for this.

>>Avocado
expensive memeshit

You're thinking of "extra virgin" olive oil. Regular olive oil is fine but I still prefer peanut oil above all else.

Light olive oil has a smoking point of 470 degrees. Virgin olive oil has a smoking point of 420.

Avocado is expensive hipster crap

Exactly the kind of post that I "inb4"'ed. Back your opinion up or shut the fuck up you faggot.

A link was posted: seriouseats.com/2013/06/the-food-lab-7-old-wives-tales-about-cooking-steak.html

lrn2read

Steaks are at room temperature. Just as I described above ITT. Will post more pics as I cook them

>your link demolishes my entire collective experience cooking steak the way i described

A picture, nor a video, nor a link is not an argument. Back up what you say here about cooking steaks with your method on this cooking board or shut the fuck up.

Cooking my own steaks now using my method.

I built myself a special cabinet for dry-aging beef. It's kinda like a cigar humidor. Makes the steaks even better.

>anecdotal evidence
That's not an argument.

Also, letting your steak go up to room temperature isn't going to hurt it you dumb ass. It just don't do anything extra. So why don't you be a good lad and compare a fridge steak or a room temp steak instead of being buttmad you're wrong.

Heating my pan

>Back up what you say here about cooking steaks with your method on this cooking board or shut the fuck up.

Also, I never let my steaks come up to room temp before I cook them and they come out perfect. Stay mad.

Wrong. All you have to do is keep flipping every minute dumb ass.

I am FOR letting steaks coming to room temperature before cooking them. Are you retarded or do you just suck at reading comprehension?

>let it come to room temp
>it took so long that now your steak is festering with bacteria

good job, retard

I understand that. But that does not make a difference compared to a steak fresh out the fridge. A link has been posted why. You said that wasn't good enough and to cite anecdotal evidence, so I did here:

Letting this bitch get screaming hot before I put the steaks on (steaks are NY Strip cut in half for me and my wife)

Mm Kay it's nice and hot now

Yeah three minutes on the clock on my room temperature steaks...

Stay tuned faggots

how do you want someone to "back up" something on a cooking board,you think he just happens to be cooking steak tonight?And then what,not like you can check the cooking process.kek
basically its the other way around,no matter what you cook it will not disprove anything,especially because leavin the steak n the counter for 20min produces the exact same result as not doing it

>germaphobe
>probably needs his steak cooked well done to get rid of the bacteria

>3-4 minutes per side
>on searing hot pan

What kind of mammoth steaks are you working with? I do two and a half one side, and two flat on the other for a perfect rare steak every time.

Judging by the intensity of his posts, we're dealing with an autist.

First and last flip. Add a bit of butter.

nah. I'm just not retarded enough to leave a piece of meat out for 8 hours

>First and last flip
You also bought into "flip your steaks only once or else they'll lose their juices" meme. Holy shit. Do you think searing your steak "locks" in the juices, too?

>8 hours

You're the only person ITT who has claimed I left it out for 8 hours.

I just left it out for 45 minutes retarded faggot

>leaving it out for 45 minutes will bring the entire steak to room temperature
Stick a thermometer in that steak tell me what it reads.

then it's definetly not room temperature and it was probably only a couple degrees warmer than the fridge.

lmao what a retarded nigger you are. did you even temp them before and after?

Steaks removed after being in the pan for only 6 minutes. Camped under a foil sheet.

>lmao what a retarded nigger you are. did you even temp them before and after?
Why would he make a fair experiment when he just want a confirmation bias?

Honestly though, why does a pan seared steak require more than a single flip? In what instance?

if were talking temps at minuscule differences then it would be to keep the steak hot on both sides instead of letting the top cool off as you cook the bottom

I swear to god, Veeky Forums is nothing but a bunch of fast-food glorifying hipster contrarian faggots. It's like you guys are arguing with me about how to cook a steak while I literally cook one in front of you. Especially that anime weeb, you're worse than the fucking "AWOOO" posters on /pol/. Either offer some steak tips of your own or shut the fuck up with your contrarian faggot bullshit.

God damn.

Posting steak when it's done then eating it with blackened bell peppers and onions and zucchini slices.

Then I'm going to make love to my wife and when she goes to bed I'm gonna come back here and counter every non-sequitur shit post you throw at me.

Veeky Forums is literally the worst "interest" board.

Cooks faster and more evenly. Helps prevent burning one side.

Not an argument.

Bring to room temperature
Pan on, nice and hot
Little drizzle of olive oil
Season both sides
Cook
Rest
Eat

I'm going for medium rare, not rare.
>implying anyone who actually posts seriously on this board isn't on the spectrum
not to mention that I'm al/ck/oholic here too so fuck you

sorry that your come to room temp idea isn't true.

sorry that a steak wont come to room temp in 45 min

I think I'll make balsamic chicken to treat myself for this victory

Well when I usually cook a steak I'm not baby sitting what is arguably the most autistic forum on this shitty Cantonese fish hook website in between steps; but here we go. It's gonna taste great.

That's not medium rare. If you're going to try and prove a point about being a superior cook learn how to cook a steak to medium rare first.

ok some tips:either you baste with the butter or you flip the steak often after it went in, because you get almost no browning and a very sad and uneven sear your way. also add some aromatics with the butter.
you should also sear all sides on your steak,not just the 2 largest areas.
feel free to counter any advice(!) anybody gives you while eating a mediocre piece of steak

Good for you, weeb. Shut the fuck up.
I honestly appreciate your input. When I cooked this steak I was trying to photograph and post it from my phone, which cost me precious time.

If I had more time and wasn't posting here, I would've added garlic and fresh time as aromatics, but I don't know, I was just on a rant about room temperature from yesterday and happened to be cooking steaks today so I just went with it.

Overall, the steaks came out medium - not exactly what I wanted, but hey - I wasn't cooking to impress Veeky Forums.

They weren't the best cuts of steak either. But I still stand behind my belief that bringing a cut of steak to room temperature makes it easier to cook the steak evenly and, as long as you have a proper searing apparatus plus some aromatics, then you will cook a great steak.

To all the shit-posting nay-sayers that never offered a single bit of advice or counter method - you're why this board sucks.

Thank you, user.

avacado burns even lower, wtf?

Does putting a steak into an oven after cooking it to rare do anything useful rather than letting it rest?

What does placing a steak in the oven do?

best temp? time?

Looks good to me OP. Don't listen to these contrarian faggots.
Also glad to see you used a cast iron. It pains me to see people trying to sear steaks on non stick.

Putting it in the oven helps it get to the doneness you want without worrying about over/under cooking.
Also putting it in the oven beforehand is better. See: reverse sear
youtube.com/watch?v=GZ4xl7XJM08

Ayyy I just got done making steaks too. NY strips, cooked stove top then moved to oven.

I let mine sit out at room temp for at least an hour you plebs. Of course it makes a difference.

I'm also cooking one sous-vide while I eat this one.

Bam

And money shot. Used the thickest one for my sous vide

thicc

Not bad. Looks like you need to render that fat on the side a little bit more though.

>buys circulator
>sous vides to medium well
Roody-poo, you candy-ass.

Ya I coulda seared the side too, but didn't wanna ruin the innards.

It's exactly 132 degrees bro. Medium rare. Lighting could be weird.

Sure bud. Learn how to cook before talking shit.

>trim
means you're gay
>salt
u fkn wot m8
>tenderise
if you're such a bitch that you need your steak to be softened up for you maybe you should learn to cook or chew before ordering or cooking a steak

>But I still stand behind my belief that bringing a cut of steak to room temperature makes it easier to cook the steak evenly
Nice opinion. But youre wrong.

No youre thinking of coconut. Avacodo is 500

>guys guys you should microwave your steaks before you cook so they're already heated up to the temperature of the pan so when you cook them they release moisture more efficiently
shit son if you gunna be this autistic you should find a career that gets you somewhere with autism, as opposed to cooking

Okay you fucks, only add salt right before cooking, unless you're aging your shit. Adding salt early draws out moisture.

>reverse sear
>REVERSE sear
>implying searing the opposite side of the steak first is gunna do anything

>personal blog
no-one cares, take it to /soc/ where someone might

chill out

Half-right. If you add salt but let it rest long enough it won't do that. At least half an hour.

Also: Gotta love how both the idiots here talking muh room temperature both overcooked their steaks. Really makes you think.

aight, this is what I do.

Buy whatever steak you want.

-Take it out, and cover it in course salt, and let it rest as it reaches room temp, flip it once.
-scrape off the access salt, and any trimmings you want
-heatup a cast iron pan to HOT.
-Place a nice chunk of butter
-cook each side 90 seconds
-cover if you want to reduce spray
-remove it, and let it rest for a bit.

this gets it to rare.

How do you get them to stick to the wall?

Like I've been saying this entire time....either elaborate or you're just shitposting. If you can't back up your opinion then your opinion is shit.

maybe he keeps his house really cold

>-heatup a cast iron pan to HOT.
>-Place a nice chunk of butter
Good way to get burnt ass butter moron. You literally don't know how to cook.

I've posted various links that explain this and I could link you to top chefs that agree with this. Your opinion does not trump actual chefs.

and? most of the butter is covered by the steak, its gonna be fine.

doesn't the butter burn?

Yeah because thats how it works. Use a cooking oil first. Put butter once the fats rendered so the juices protect it

ayy. just know that I'm better than you