Rice Cookers

Are they worth it? What's the best (while being somewhat cheap) rice steamer to get?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hainanese_chicken_rice
aroma-housewares.com/kitchen/appliances/rice101/16/Sauté-Then-Simmer™ Technology.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I got that exact cooker as a Christmas present. It works well and keeps the rice ready for hours. It even can use it as a slow cooker for other foods.

Yeah it's about 45-50 leaf bucks on Amazon, had my eye on it for quite some time, but wanted to get some research and opinions from others before buying
Have you tried all sorts of rice? Any trouble of anything?

Honestly they're only worth it if you're going to be making obscene amounts of rice all the time
You'll get the same result on stove top once you actually get the hang of making rice correctly. It takes only a tiny bit more effort, but it's almost negligible.
If you're going to get a rice cooker, get a zojirushi. To be honest again, the amount you pay is barely worth it, but it's the only good rice cooker on the market.

I bought a cheap-as-fuck (around $10) one from walgreens a few years ago.
It was easily worth the price. I only make rice when I'm making a ton of other things to go with it, so I like how easy it is to just dump the rice and water in and then forget about it. Plus I don't have to take up extra room on my stove top.
It's also supposed to be able to steam vegetables, but I've never tried it because I have a steamer basket for that.

I'm not some kind of rice gourmet so I can't imagine what all those other buttons and features are for on the more expensive ones. Mine has just has one button, stops itself when it's done, and keeps the rice warm until you turn it off. If you need more than that they I guess it might be worth it for you to pay extra?

Yeah, it's probably worth it, but I eat rice a lot. But the rice cooker is fantastic for egg, peppers, and rice for breakfast, which is god tier.

Could I put in chicken flavour while I steam the rice? Will it work just as fine if I check up on it and stir it up a bit or would it fuck the bowl and rice a bit?

Chicken flavor? Do you mean stock?

I don't use it often maybe once every 2 weeks to make a bunch of rice to store. So far so good!

yes

It's worth it if you're eating rice regularly, like everyday. If you continually use the same type and brand of rice, you can cook with the same settings/amount of water and get consistent results daily.

google chicken rice recipes, it is a thing in SE-asia
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hainanese_chicken_rice

Just got this from the pancake thread

>There's LITERALLY nothing more pathetic to me in the culinary world than rice cookers. If I spot one in your house, I immediately lose a significant amount of respect for you. All these fucking meme recipes "Oh I can cook pizza in my rice cooker!" "Oh I can cook muffins in my rice cooker!" "Hey check out these recipe for rice-cooker lasagna!"

>Owning and using a rice cooker is analogous to owning a large collection of anime. It just demonstrates a complete lack of intelligence and social grace.

I have that one. Works well. Time delay is great. Come home to cooked rice.

Buy a nicer rice cooker like a Zojirushi. If you don't buy one with a sensor you might as well make it in a pot.

Tefal multicooker, works even as slow cooker, can make porridges, brown/white rice, etc

I have that one, it works great

OP I have pic related, $35 from Target, and its not just a rice cooker, it has other cooking features similar to a instapot. I only use it for rice though. It's worth it, it will keep the rice nice and moist and warm as long as possible, but be warned, after 72 hours the outside edge of the rice within the inner pot starts to get a bit dry.

OP, if you want perfect stovetop rice every time follow these directions:
>measure rice (i usually do 1 or 2 cups at a time for myself)
>Wash rice thoroughly 3-4 times or until water is clear
>Measure out water (1:1 ratio rice:water)
>Make sure water is very hot and soak the rice in it without applied heat for about 1 hr
>After rice is done soaking, turn heat to highest setting until water boils
>turn heat to low and wait for the rice to steam
>once it's done fluff it with a fork or chopsticks
It's literally going to turn out the same as if you cooked it with a rice cooker if you do this. All a nice rice cooker will do is cut out a step or two and if you get a really good one it'll cook it on a timer so you can have it done whenever you want. Make sure it's worth it to lose a bit of counter space for the convenience before you buy one.

Can I cook bacon in a rice steamer?

Im thinking of putting bacon at the bottom, rice and water , then veggies at the top.

Find one at a garage sale for 5 bucks and ask 4 for it.

i cook rice in a glass pot i got for free

comes out perfect every time

That's a lot of repressed hatred for a cooking instrument, damn.

This may be a stupid question, but can you use rice steamers to steam anything else, or just rice?

I've been thinking of getting one since I eat rice quite frequently, but I'm finding it hard to rationalize the purchase if all it does is make rice, which I can do just fine without a steamer.

This is actual autism

There are jap rice cookers that can be activated via wifi. After work you use an app to start the rice cooker so the rice is ready to eat by the time you get home.

Some models come with an attachable steamer basket for veggies or even steamed buns.

Steamed veggies and buns would be great.

Do you happen to have any recommendations for brands/models that are good for multi function use? I've been looking online but they only mention rice.

The model I use is a cheap one under the brand name 'SimplyPerfect'.

or you could
>1 mug of rice
>wash it
>slightly less than 1 mug of water
>press button

Personally use pic related. Really good any pretty consistent.

I think so.

aroma-housewares.com/kitchen/appliances/rice101/16/Sauté-Then-Simmer™ Technology.html

Recipes?

I have never used a rice cooker to make rice. Just a pot. Never had issues with it. Am I seriously the only one?

Its a convenient way to do it. Just put the rice, water, etc into the rice cooker, turn on and walk away.

yes you are SERIOUSLY the only one