Hey Veeky Forumsucks

Hey Veeky Forumsucks,

My university is throwing a huge cheese tasting event and I am in charge of most of it.

Budget is $10,000. | This is not a joke |

$6000 of this budget will be allocated to buying the actual cheese.

I want your advice on what cheeses I should buy. The basics like parmesan, gouda, gruyere, brie, and the such will be there.

I need to make a list of a lot of cheeses that we will buy. The event will be at the beggining of next month.

Also, do you guys think I should buy 100 different types of cheeses and have a little bit of each, or maybe just a dozen or so different cheeses and buy a lot of each one. We are talking about ~400 pounds of cheese, so I have a lot of room to spare.

Relevant info:
>College is located in VA
>14,000 students on campus

Thanks in advance!

Other urls found in this thread:

bellwetherfarms.com/product/carmody/
uplandscheese.com/
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casu_marzu
gff.co.uk/press-releases/le-gruyere-aop-premier-cru-crowned-world-champion-cheese-2015/
bluevalleygourmet.com/the-top-25-best-vermont-cheeses/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

My advice would be to find a cheese wholesaler/grower and then go from there

Aren't most of the best cheeses in the world banned in america?

>VA
Just buy plastic bags. Americans won't know the different

>ITT: an Amerishart goes and blows six grand on Kraft singles.
Priceless.

Why would a university shit money away on something so stupid?

camembert

What is the other $4000 going to?

Is this... William and Mary? If it is, lemme know when; I'll be there

bellwetherfarms.com/product/carmody/
this is a pretty good american cheese. Goes really great with a tart jam.
Definitely get some pecorino romano and serve with pepper. Maybe if you can get some other hard cheeses, like parm, or grana padano
A good stinky soft cheese for beginners is one of my personal favorites, taleggio.
uplandscheese.com/
Pleasant ridge reserve is a good fontina-like.
Bemster gouda is my favorite version of gouda. THe extra aged version might be expensive, but definitely worth it.
I could name off more if you want, but there is a lot of cheese out there. You could get a whole bunch for 10000, so honestly you should find a nice restaurant around your area, and see if they can hook you up with a cheese rep

lol buy that cheese that has like maggots and shit in it and then you can only eat it when the maggots are dead, i think its a sheep cheese

it's casu marzu, and you eat it while the maggots are still alive you dolt.

I'll pass probably

Hallo mein Freund. Young Gouda might be a cheese you want to get. It's a very plain and smooth cheese without anything that makes it special but it's tasty and it's a cheese for "everyone"

found it en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casu_marzu

woops my mistake you are apparently only safe to eat it while the maggots are still alive unless you refridgerate it

>the cheese is deemed illegal because its too fucked up
>black market opens up for literal maggot infested cheese
>yuropoors

you cant make this shit up

my mistake senpai

still disgusting though, to hell with that shit

Presumably setting up the event. Tables, chairs, advertising, maybe personnel.

The same reason you shit time away on this board. You've got it, so why not spend it as you see fit?

You can do very well with a budget like that. I'd get experts involved. You're in VA so you know someone with a pickup truck. How about a road trip to NYC? That would allow you to get your cheese from Murray's Cheese. They are probably the most informed and connected cheese shop on the East Coast. They will give you free advice and probably cut you a big price break on a buy that big. Plus you can probably avoid paying sales tax if you show up with the correct paperwork. You could arrange the buy with a few phone calls, then road trip to NYC to pick it up. Again, there folks are experts, so they will give you expert advice. For a buy that big they will be happy to walk you through all the info regarding each cheese they suggest. And your budget allows you to take that advice. You will come out looiking like an expert on cheese.

Sargentos. Don't go for the big fancy name brands they're a trick.

My personal favorites are Edam and Manchego.

They're earthy and mild, and great for beginner palates, which a large majority of your tasters are going to be.

For the few enthusiasts you're going to attract, you might want to get some cheeses that are a bit more exotic.

Some things you can get from the store (in America) that are a decent start are going to be Dubliner, which is a sharp Irish cheddar, and a few different kinds of sharp swiss variants.

You can also try coffee cheese, which I would dare say would be a popular choice among uni students.

Also, you can't go wrong with Camembert.

no

good tripple belgian beer, like tripple karmeliet, would be the best beverage to pair it with

cambozola gets my vote. a brie/blue cheese combo

>gruyere

Gruyere isn't great for tastings, its meant mainly for cooking and melting due to it's mild flavour and creamy structure. By itself it has a mild flavour and in a tasting surrounded by a bunch of much bolder cheeses it'll get lost on the tasters. The texture, especially when young ins't great either.

Recommendations:
>Mimolette - Kind of like a parmesan, but a bit harder with a great nutty flavour and it's bright orange colouring and grey-green rind make it visually appealing.
>Flavoured bellavitano - kind of niche but it has some interesting flavoured varieties that would appeal to college kids. It has a pretty mild flavour, on it's own but that allows flavourings to really mesh well with the cheese. It's medium hardness and a bit crumbly.
>Smoked Gorgonzola - Some people are really off put by blue cheeses, but the smoked variety has a nice smoky taste that works well with the natural taste of the mold. Plus, regular blue cheese tends to be quite creamy making it hard to eat on it's own but the smoked version is a bit firmer.
>Goat cheese - A nice way to mix things up, usually has tons of flavours available if you want to go for something other than plain. It's quite creamy tho so you either need to serve it on an eating utensil or ensure there is an obvious accompaniment for it.
>Irish porter cheddar - If you're gonna do cheddar (which you should do at least a few different varieties of) you for sure want to do this one. Pic related, it's a really great innovation that infuses the cheese with Irish porter giving it a bit of a yeasty flavour that goes with young cheddar perfectly. This is one off my personal favourites and it's worth the price tag.

As a final word, don't skimp on the accompaniments. It can be easy to get carried away and blow the budget on cheese alone, but your guests will really appreciate some quality accompaniments. Do some research and find some good ones once you select the cheese.

Cough syrup

Pasteurisation to make it "safe"

As far as the kinds of cheese you should get, 3 or 4 examples from each animal should be a great way to start. Then you can have them grouped under: soft, semi-soft, medium-hard, and hard. Having the basics you mentioned fits those four criteria already.
Having some sort of organized approach will make the sampling more exciting.
Then you could toss in some off the beat examples like gjetost or something.

Are you aware of any italian markets or even Whole Foods or Wegman's in your area? Those would probably be your best bet.
You really can't mess this up since so many people would be impressed with the four you already mentioned. Maybe avoid raw milk cheese since that might scare the layman.

I think your best bet would be finding a Whole Foods or Wegman's since they probably have a large supply on hand already.

Pic related. Humboldt Fog is a beautiful cheese but expensive cheese from California

Cranberry stilton

I like Kerrygold Dubliner. I think I'm spelling it right. Very tasty!

You better get some motherfuckin blue cheese, ya faggot.

not OP but is there a dish that features gruyere that could be presented? like a dish that showcases the flavor and how its used.

these, just buy a decent amount of literally as many types of cheeses as you can. I mean shit I live in a town of 10,000ppl and even my shitty town has a cheese shop with 200 varieties.

if only, OP should do this

Ok that doesn't make any sense. You don't need $4000 to get tables, chairs and staff at a University that already has all of those things. Also it wont cost a Uni $4k to advertise, they can literally just post on social media, put some flyers and posters around campus and they're good.

Just sounds like a "oh Ok cool we have $10k here, here's $6k for cheese, I'm gunna use this $4k for 'stuff' dont worry about it i'll take care of all of that ;)"

You get a lame party with lots of expensive, smelly cheeses and some guy fucks off with $4k.

tl;dr Spend $9.5k on cheese and alcohol and suck less at advertising, someone's ripping you off.

Souffle or quiche are common uses. It can also work well in fondu, baking (i.e. cheese buns/biscuts), and welsh rabbit. You can also incorporate it in sauces like a cheese sauce for mac and cheese or an off-beat alfredo (though you still want to ensure you use parm too in order to get the classic alfredo flavour)

Contact local delis/cheesemakers for charcuterie platters and ideas for pairing cheeses to whatever else. Google it for ideas, then find out whether it can be sourced locally, or whether you'll need to have it shipped to the school.

Do you assholes have a problem?

>Gruyère is made for cooking
Absolutely not exclusively. I'm swiss and we eat it sliced on bread all the time. You can literally even buy slices prepackaged ready to put on bread.

My picks would be as follows:
Morbier (again, wonderful melted like raclette, but with a blue cheese vein down the middle)
Taleggio
Wensleydale
Brillat Savarin
Fourme D'Aubert
Stichelton
Lancashire
You could go for a Sbrinz just for the bant
A good brocciu passu
Bouchon de Sancerre
I'm partial to a good Lancashire, but that is a cheese which truly shines when melted
Boule de Belp

And finally... Schabziger. A personal favourite :'-)

>getting mad because they're right tho

Go hoos

>Absolutely not exclusively. I'm swiss and we eat it sliced on bread all the time. You can literally even buy slices prepackaged ready to put on bread.

I said it was mainly for cooking not exclusively.

You can eat what ever you like, everyone has different tastes and regional traditions. That being said gruyere just doesn't make sense in the context of a tasting. You can use it to flavour bread or a sandwich (personally I think there are better options though) but that's because your melding flavours and, in the case of cheese on toast, you are effectively using the cheese to season the toast and make it less plain.

At a tasting, people are wanting to appreciate the unique flavour of the cheese itself, or with a small accompaniment to bring out the best in the cheese. However, the cheese is quite literally the main event. The cheese will be the dominate flavour even with accompaniments and thus when selecting cheeses you need to bear that in mind. Gruyere has an odd texture when not melted, it's creamy but also kind of grainy and compared with other cheeses the flavour is very mild. It'll be forgettable and boring at best and the guests will likely pass it over for a more interesting cheese. It just doesn't make sense for a tasting imo.

if you have a cheese shop nearby go to them for help planning and catering it. and don't slack on the accompaniments either, if it's not an all ages event then definitely wine, fancy crackers or good crusty baguettes, assorted fruits etc..

Thank you so much, this is great advice. This is gonna be best event I ever throw, it's all downhill from here.

I liked the advice by sorting it by animal first, and then by soft, semi, hard, etc..

I am wondering if there are any better ways to do it though? If not, I will 100% sort it by that.

The problem is that my UNI has a contract with only a certain number of caterers, and anyone outside is not allowed. To bypass it, I will have to personally buy each cheese and necessities and then get reimbursed within a 4 week period.

Get 6k worth of Kraft singles and pocket the rest.

any particular reason not to go with one of the approved caterers?

Definitely go by animal and hardness
Provide brief flavor and texture notes (Taleggio: creamy, pungent, bold for example) alongside each cheese.
Make sure there is a little something to accompany each cheese. You'll want some crostini, and sometimes a bit of something else. Just read up on good pairings for each cheese or ask a nice local restaurant.
Above all, make sure everything looks really nice. If the cheeses aren't displayed well, they won't taste as good. It's a psychological thing

This sounds like you've never had good Gruyère. Its texture is not unusual, the flavour when aged is far from mild, and when less aged the proper freshness of the alpine pasture comes through wonderfully. A good gruyère d'alpage is an omnipresent fixture on the cheeseboards of gastronomic establishments; the michelin starred Domaine de Chateauvieux features it in the cheese course. Though it is certainly amenable to use in cooking, I wouldn't go so far as to say that's its "main" use: perhaps for those who've only come across it in French onion soup.

Its only "mild" and forgettable in the same way, say, cheddar is: it obviously doesn't deliver the in your face pungency of a roquefort or a Sbrinz, but that does not at all mean it's "forgettable": I'd argue that such cheeses form an integral part of a good cheeseboard or cheese tasting, as the progression is naturally one from "mild" to "robust": a tasting comprising entirely of blues and old goat's cheese would be an overwhelming assault on the palate.

As for "forgettable", I'll just leave this here.
gff.co.uk/press-releases/le-gruyere-aop-premier-cru-crowned-world-champion-cheese-2015/

No worries mate,
I'd personally sort by type, since going through by the milk's origin will force you to return to less pungent cheeses for which the palate will not be primed for after having a goat's blue, for instance, but that's my personal preference. Animal/region/hardness are all legitimate ways of sorting though. I'd personally go:

1. Fresh
2. Young and hard
3. Young and soft
4. Old and hard
5. Old and soft (this is where the aged chèvre would come in, after which the palate is irredeemably lost to pungency
6. Blues and the otherwise exceptionally strong in flavour, like the Schabziger I mentioned.

Otherwise, sounds like you have quite an event planned. Hope it goes well

Yes, their only cheeses are literally only cubes of: cheddar, swiss, and Monterey jack.

its the best starting point, you honestly give too little info for qualified advice though:
>how many people will attend?
this is obviously deciding how many different kinds and what quality you can get for the 6000
>which country/area
aka any local cheeses?-since they will be cheapest and usually in the best condition and generally available, itll be stupid to recommend you great rench cheeses if you have no way of getting them
>culinary university vs normal university?
Culinary needs a way more interesting selection

anyways, you should clear those things up if you want better advice.

Besides animal/hardness you should also represent different countries and their main qualities in cheesemaking,also the most common kinds should be present, nobody mentioned redwashed yet (dont know how to say it in engish), here a couple examples for great cheeses. though which ones you choose is always entirely about what is available in the best quality. name means nothing for cheese, a badly aged/unripe/inferior brillat is worse than a good gouda, so just go for best possible quality mainly.
>a british stilton
>a french brillat savarin,rouelle blanc,epoisse (redwashed),saint auger fourme d'ambert
>swiss mountaincheese /gruyere
>italian aged pecorino
>herbgoatcheese from kreta

>herp-derp... what cheeses?

To be fair even immature brillat-savarin is a thing of the gods. But yes, I agree otherwise.

2/3 Cow chesses
-Hard
-Semi-Hard
-Semi-Soft
-Soft
1/6 Goat chesse
-stick to soft and semi-softs for this
1/6 "other" cheese
-vegan and weird stuff that most people won't consider actual cheese, but you should include to be inclusive of all the special snowflakes.

*bonus points for cheese made from the milk of a male animal.

>implying every good cheese in the world is contained in a shitty facebook-tier meme infographic

no brillat-savarin is not equals boi

Jarlsberg is a good mild cheese that goes well with meat (if you're serving with charcuterie)

>not considering sheeps cheeses

Germanfag Reporting in. So imma list some cheese that i like to bring to tastings: 'pecorino pepato' (Pic) is basically a Parmesan with pepper in it- awesomeooo. 'Old Amsterdam' tastes inzense and savoury, but it does Not smell, more like an older Gouda. 'scarmoza', which a smoked mozarella. And if you Can get it, 'tiroler adler', yumyum. Also remember to also bring some smelly soft cheese like Gorgonzola. U r Welcome

Yes you are right:

>how many people will attend?
No idea, but it wil be outdoors at a high-traffic area of students, where anybody can come and go
>culinary university vs normal university?
Engineering university...

Gorgonzola cheese and the world's finest wine

While it pains me to whiteknight you, try finding a fucking CHEESEMONGER in your area to help host and answer questions. Read the book called CHEESEMONGER, it's a fun read and has more than enough information to get you started.

www.igourmet.com/shoppe/Red-Dragon.asp
This stuff is pretty good. Strong taste though.

>life on the wedge
Fuck this guy

You're just mad you didn't think of that pun first

>Why would a university shit money away on something so stupid?
Universities attract a shit-ton of donations, and schmoozing potential donors with wine and cheese is part of what makes that happen. My alma mater, U of Michigan, has close to $11 billion in its general endowment fund, and regularly sets multibillion dollar fundraising goals for special projects. Spending a few million on fundraising is relatively minuscule.

If it were me, I'd skip Veeky Forums advice, and talk to people at the university who've hosted similar events for advice (ask the dean of the art or music schools for suggestions, if you've got no other leads), to a professional caterer for at least advice (if not service) on prep & serving (unless the U has its own catering staff), and to a good cheesemonger to discuss and procure some good cheeses, even if the person isn't local.

What this guy said, plus here's a list of 25 vermont cheeses that are Favourites.
I think certainly that a substantial proportion should be import cheese, but it'd be nice, I think, to have local cheese, too.
bluevalleygourmet.com/the-top-25-best-vermont-cheeses/

buy a pound of really expensive cheese and take it home

VA actually makes some surprisingly good cheese (pic related)

Just stay away from Wisconsin garbage, WI cheese is exclusively for fast food burgers. The guy suggesting Vermont knows what's up.

It's frustrating. My flatmates really like this godawful smoked Wisconsin """""cheddar"""". Pic related. It's extremely fucking bland, with a hint of smoke, and not even the slightest detectable cheddaring. But they like it and I'm not enough of an autist to stop them.

>Hey Veeky Forumsucks,

>Not cu/ck/s

They get bombarded with so much of their own propaganda they actually start to believe it

I mean hamburger-tier cheese has its place but it's sad to see people acting like it's some great world famous cheese to boast about

It does melt well, and makes perfectly serviceable grilled cheeses, but it's not what I look for in a supermarket cheese. Back home, even the cheese, at, say, Iceland, is miles ahead than what I can find at my local grocer's here in the states.

If I were you I would buy smaller quantities of the more "exotic" cheeses as I wouldn't be surprised the fresh mozarella to he way more popular than aged goat cheese.

>fresh mozarella at a cheese tasting event

top fucking kek

>Engineering university...

Maybe you should just go with cheese doritoes, then. Engineers are autistic retards who cannot possibly understand the fine taste of different cheese.

I attend the finest Hospitality school in Europe. The average student here can recognise over 1000 types of cheese from texture, smell, taste and first 4 letters of the name alone. Your little circle of aspergers will not understand the crumbled dignity of a wine soaked Maltese feta or the blue engagement of a Jimmy Bruyere.

Just give up now, you utter autist.

>200lbs american cheese
>100lbs cheez whiz
>100lbs cheetos

J O B D O N E

A few wheels of a mature sharp Cheddar

OP, once I discovered that Brie Cheese tastes like Male Jizz I haven't been able to stop buying it. I hope the cashiers don't suspect anything.

>first 4 letters of the name alone
lmfao why does the rest matter when this part alone would by sufficient. i was like impressed until i saw that

Buy 100kg of livarot and nothing else

Please get at least one of each of these and present them first as a joke, even if I can't see their faces myself, it'll be worth it.

Cheesestrings and Baby-Bells for everyone.