High Energy Foodbar

/out/ here, i'm inspired by the idea of lembas bread.
anyone know how can i get compact meal with not only high nutritional value, but also can be stored for a long time?

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.co.uk/Seven-Oceans-Emergency-Liferaft-Survival/dp/B0065K3I30/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1488495458&sr=8-1&keywords=survival bar
sectionhiker.com/logan-bread-recipe/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Cereal bars protein bars dry fruit

Also if you want to be a hobbit eat fry ups and roast dinners they only ate that for survival

pemmican!

>eating memebas bread

btfo weeb.

I imagine lembas bread to be something like short bread. However, in the real world the thing you're looking for is pemmican. Runners up are peanut butter and modern energy bars.

Dried meat and fish would keep you going for longer than something grain based.

Discworld style dwarvish bread >>>> lembas > cram > mundane hard tack

All foods degrade in quality over time. Your GOAT tier for longevity is freeze dried but that costs a fortune to do yourself, and is pricey to buy off the shelf. Dry foods are the second choice, and is best kept in an environment with little to no chance of oxidation (no air exposure)
Fats tend to go bad first, so using nuts in energy bars decreases the shelf time, but depending on how long you need to keep it they can do fine. Dry milk and products containing dairy elements also tend to go bad.

lack of humidity is key
So is preservatives

Looks great! Good job chef!

Nice!

Hi Steve

that's objectively false

It really isn't. Carbs aren't essential. Protein and fats are.

>carbs aren't essential
I dare you to never eat a single carbohydrate again you stupid asshole

You produce your own. It's not ideal, but if you have to choose between them go for fat and protein, not carbs. If you eat nothing but carbs you will die. If you eat nothing but fat and protein you will still function, just not optimally.

What's wrong with her eyebrows?

they are drawn onto her face with makeup

For high energy, and keeping you going, flapjacks. For nutrition use raisins, dried coconut pieces or ground coconut. Add other dried fruit like blueberries, cranberries mangoes, etc. Oats are slow release food and are good for your brain.

Add protein powder to the mix for gains and add pour chocolate after they are done, but use dark chocolate for its health and nutritional benefits.

The perfect hiking food. As for storage it depends just how long you are talking. I have had them stored in Lock & Locks for a few weeks, eating one a day and they have been fine, that's in a cupboard out of sunlight.

To make them last longer, maybe bake them for longer and drive all of their moisture out of them, like hardtack. Cut them even smaller and soak them in milk before eating to coften them, nutrition bonus on the milk. Or just dunk them in tea, I'm sure you could make them thin like biscuits.

These niggas only eat fish, whales, seals, caribou and the occasional root and berry. The only macro nutrients they get is fat and protein and they seem to be doing fine. In fact once Europeans introduced them to carbs they got fat.

took me a while to realize you weren't talking about pancakes.

why don't you guys just call them granola bars.

Let's get this thread out onto a tray

The highest energy foodbar is pure animal fat. Baring that, pemmican with alternating meat and offal (for nutrients)

Get some fat protein bars. They can sit forever and are crammed with protein and a good amount of carbs. Most of them are very low sugar and actually tasty as fuck.

They eat a lot of their meat raw and thus get carbs through dietary glycogen, however. Also, a number of the deep diving sea mammals they consume have large deposits of glyogen to help stabilization when deep diving.

So it's a myth that traditional Inuits weren't getting carbs.

No its not.

500 kcal a pop and designed to keep starving kids alive.

The traditional Inuit diet has 54 grams of carbs which i admit is larger than i thought, but it is certainly very very low in carbs compared to todays western diets. In fact thats only 10% of their daily calories. That puts them well in the keto range. OP doesn't really even need to try to get carbs with this.

Where do I buy this stuff? I can't find it anywhere

You can't it's only produced for famine relief

If Steve can buy MRE's with "ILLEGAL FOR SALE OR PURCHASE" on them, we can find some African nut-bars.

It's called ketosis. And there's diets that revolve around it. It's not good for building muscle but it's great for losing weight.

>amazon.co.uk/Seven-Oceans-Emergency-Liferaft-Survival/dp/B0065K3I30/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1488495458&sr=8-1&keywords=survival bar
It tastes like sugary saw-dust. Don't eat it.

Only one company in the world produces it and starving africans are far less likely to try and flip that shit on the internet then the average US Soldier.

I have yet to make this but as far as keeping for a long duration, being hardy, good sustenance, and edible I would go for this:

sectionhiker.com/logan-bread-recipe/

Not gonna lie, pemmican sounds pretty tasty and interesting.
It also sounds kind of inefficient though, is there any real way to produce it in bulk?

>make loads of jerky
>mix in with rendered lard or tallow
>add dried fruit
Just expand the recipes for bigger batches.

>pemmican is tasty

No. I respect the Plains Indian for the great warrior culture, but pemmican, while life sustaining is not tasty. It was a long term travelling sustenance food that probably had the texture and flavor of oily sawdust.

Explain to me how powdered jerky and fat taste bad

Blend together tons of vegetables, add oil and dry it in one of those jerky machines
There highly nutritious high energy food

Because it was a long term storage food and the fat went rancid rather quickly. That's why you cut as much fat out of your jerky meat as possible. Rancid fat tastes like shit.

Rendered fat takes goddamn forever to go rancid, if at all.

I don't see why suet or tallow in properly prepared pemmican–especially if it was vacuum sealed–wouldn't last for years and years. This is very lean dehydrated meat and rendered fat. Opened, unrefrigerated tallow stays good for at least a year.

Some accounts put pemmican lasting for 50 years. I dunno if I buy that, but I bet it's good for a decade.

Make it then, nutsack, hold it at room temp for 2 months and serve it as an appetizer on your first ever date night. Let us know how well it's received.

>good for a decade

I didn't say you'd get sick from rancid fat, the native americas didn't, it will just taste like shit. Fat going rancid is a matter of oxidation, not bacterial contamination. Rendered or not, over time it will taste like shit.

They don't have my cum all over them yet

>implying tits have eyebrows

I've made it once before, very much like shortbread but a little more dry/grainy

overall not bad
7/10

No, 8638998 is correct. The manufacturer of PlumpyNutty patented it as a "composition of matter" (usually used for things like metal alloys, road asphalt mixtures, and the like). No one can produce it or sell it in the US or EU without licensing the relevant patent from the manufacturer, and they refuse to license.

I looked up the patent one time after someone brought the stuff up. I was surprised, it's one of the very very few food patents out there.

I don't remember when it expires, but the patent has to be at least eight years old now. I think I looked it up around 2009 and it was a few years old already.

Nope. All fat needs to go rancid is oxygen. If you seal it in with one of those oxygen-eating packets, and preferably irradiate it with gamma to kill off all the things, then it would probably last five years or so.

When I Google RUTF, I see a number of similar products from different manufacturers.

Honey is a preservative, the concentration of simple sugars is so high it's toxic to microbs. something cooked hot and coated in it will keep, but you need packaging because it'll be sticky.
Hard tack keeps virtually forever if no moisture is introduced and is the inspiration for cram and lembas. You could add some powder supplements to it I'm sure. Crushed acerola tablets and you got yourself a scurvy proof sea biscuit.

Why the fuck would I be talking about pancakes? Twat.

In places that aren't Britain, "flapjack" has the meaning of a pancake. Don't get so worked up over it.

I will when I an Englishman, in England, speaking English get told I am wrong and an American is correct.

The sheer level of arrogance from Americans is astounding.

Baiting this hard

>In places that aren't Britain, "flapjack" has the me
Translation
>In places other than MURIKA!!! How dare ya'll speak differently to gods chosen Amerigods!

Nothing he said was wrong, like at all. I think you're just a cunt.

why don't you guys just call them pancakes.

???

Because he's a cunt.

Hey, I made lembas some time ago,

Recipe was this:

2 Cups flour
1 Cup sugar
1+ 1/2 sticks butter
1/4 cup flaxseeds (whole)
1+ 1/2 cup flaxseed meal
2 cups of oatmeal flour
2/3 cup lemon juice
1 Tblspn greek yogurt
2 tspns baking soda
Lemon zest-- 3 tblspns (~2 lemons' worth)

I cream the butter and sugar then add the various dry ingredients save for the wheat flour. Add the flour next, and once mixed in add your lemon juice and yogurt. If your dough is too dry, add yogurt; too wet, add equal parts flax meal and oatmeal flour until it's tacky but workable.

Spread it out on an oiled sheet pan to ~1 inch thick Cut and spread out the cut pieces on your pan.

For drier Lembas, cook at 335F for an hour.

I loved these so much I hardly let them stand the test of time, but one triangle got lost in my cabinet and was lovely with my coffee two weeks later.

I just blitzed rolled oats in my spice grinder to make my oatmeal flour. The flax meal I bought, and it's worth it. It's where these things get their meal replacement ability-- flax is full of fiber and good fats and vitamins.

Dry things store best, so go with Jerky or these dry biscuits. Trail mix also stores well.

What they said,

how did it taste and how was the texture?

I did some low/no carb recipes a while back where I made things with almond and coconut flour and lots of flax, but baking with all of those things was pretty difficult. I'd like to do some more things (I have a good sunflower butter bar recipe and a good raspberry flax muffin recipe) but often they're not sweet enough for my husband to really enjoy with me

Wow, did you make Harry Potter's Butterbeer too?

>ctrl+f
>no soylent

try soylent

Hardtacks with sugar?

Like a lemon shortbread with more texture. The people I shared it with said it reminded them of biscotti. Raisins or cranberries would probably work well if added too.

I see "healthy" recipes lack the flavor or texture appeal of their traditional counterparts more times than not. There's a few good exceptions, but it is a challenge and a certain level of lowered expectations in outcome. The odd ingredients really are a whole new media to work with, especially fucking coconut flour.

Go post rare mcchickens somewhere.

>I see "healthy" recipes lack the flavor or texture appeal of their traditional counterparts more times than not. There's a few good exceptions, but it is a challenge and a certain level of lowered expectations in outcome. The odd ingredients really are a whole new media to work with, especially fucking coconut flour.

When I said "texture" I more meant "fuck me I can't get anything to not be a crumbly fucking mess" than mouthfeel, but your lembas recipe sounds nice.

OP here, you're missing the point of this thread
also, lots of posters suggesting pemmican, is it any good?