Why aren't rabbits bred commercially for meat in large numbers?

Why aren't rabbits bred commercially for meat in large numbers?

Other urls found in this thread:

abcnews.go.com/US/mormons-/story?id=17057679
youtube.com/watch?v=MqPERDo9kWg
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Not very economical due to a number of reasons.

The amount of meat return for your investment (feed) is small.
Very niche market, since not many people are interested in rabbit meat.
You'd need a huge amount of rabbits for the same meat yield as a single cow.

I'm sure they can breed rabbits to be as fat as those chickens though. Up the meat ratio

Might be viable once rabbits start laying eggs.

Rabbits eat their own shit.

They can burrow so keeping them contained would be a challenge.

They breed so much you'd need to be constantly culling them if demand does not meet supply.

>you'd need to be constantly culling them if demand does not meet supply.
Grind them up for burgers? Or at worst dog food? Still probably wouldn't cover the cost of feeding and containing them though.

>poor Mr. Hoppy
That's why. There's not much nutritional value to rabbits either.

>burgers
Too lean

>They breed so much you'd need to be constantly culling them if demand does not meet supply.

Or maybe not keep the males and females together? How do you think other animals are kept?

Protein poisoning. You just know some dumbass is going to to have that happen.

Plus they are heavily prone to disease and infestations of worms, flies, etc.

You'd be losing money if you sold them as pet food. That's why pet food is made with offal and other parts no one wants.

Because they literally breed on their own like rabbits. The same reason we don't bottle horse piss, you fucking idiot.

This is a shame because rabbit meat is very lean and has an exquisite subtle gamey taste to it. I definitely wish more shops would sell rabbit meat and more eateries would offer rabbit dishes. It'd be dope to try something like a fried rabbit sandwich or stewed rabbit meat in a burrito.

That only happens if you eat literally nothing but rabbit, like in a survival situation.

There is no way that someone who has access to rabbit at the market would be eating literally nothing but rabbit.

They do. Buy they from asian markets like 99 ranch. It's frozen. Probably from China.

Because they breed commercially in large numbers on their own?

>Implying they dont
What about the Easter Bunny smartass?

>rabbits can't be selectively bred

Please dude

You're a big bunny.

for you

I love shelties.

Tell me about the rabbits, George

Dr. Hare, I'm FDA.

They are where I live. My great uncle used to keep rabbits and he'd give one to us every month

Much too lean to be commercially valuable.

>one rabbit a month

What a generous man

>IMG_2535.jpg

>Frogposting

Well firstly, rabbit tastes bad and is full of little bones. Also it's sad to kill Mr Floppy Ears

Until magically one day babies start popping out of no where because life literally finds a way
Trust me, this will be especially true with rabbits.

magically is the key word, because you're a moron saying stupid shit

>post phone image
>get called out on it
>delete image out of shame
wow

Meat rabbits are harvested at 7 weeks a pop, you can easily just breed them in shifts, I do it for my snake food.

kys

what was it?

See

fb tier reaction image

That pleasant gameyness rabbit and duck have isn't present when they're farm raised, so you wind up with stringier, blander chicken.

uhhm, I errr ahh, mmmm

Fuck me that's a big rabbit

for you

I heard if people in the wilderness only eat rabbit meat and nothing else, they still get fucked over because rabbit barely has any fat, is that true?

yes. rabbit starvation. you need fat to live

Rather than rabbit, I feel like Americans don't eat enough duck or goose.

Also, those books I was forced to read in middle school kept praising Pheasants and hunting them by feeding them raisins socked in alcohol.

Also, goat and lamb disappeared from American Cuisine due to a war between cattle farmers and goat/lamb farmers.

Apparently, when cars didn't exist yet and horse carriages were still common.

A bunch of cattle farmers and goat farmers were competing for land and a short war was fought and the legal system and masses sided with cattle farmers which is why we end up here today with beef popular and goat or lamb meat not really being mainstream enough for the American to eat on a daily basis.

Don't know if this event actually happened though.

I feel bad for the people who tried surviving on only rabbit meat and then wondered why they were still dying even though they had access to rabbit meat. Must have been one of the worst trolling ways to die.

Mother Nature can be a bitch.

Must be American. I heard they don't celebrate Easter

In the US at least, you're going to run into some serious road blocks as soon as you mention the word "rodent." Plus you have shit like Thumper from the movie Bambi.

Rabbits are cut and a lot of places of a convenient detachment from that reality. I mean, if a grocery store started stocking rabbit you would DEFINITELY have problems in parts of the US.

>you're eating THUMPER
>somebody is eating the easter bunny!

Other countries definitely have a different position on it, or maybe a more realistic one.

>the country easter originated from doesn't celebrate easter

OBSESSED

It's a meme. One I still don't understand 2bh. Now to finish yours up
OBESED

>OBESED
Just have big bones and strong thighs.

Rabbits aren't kosher.

Duck meat is top tier.

>not much nutritional value to rabbits
False. They have just as much "nutritional value" as any other meat -- it's just that they are a very LOW-FAT meat, so you have to get fats from elsewhere. Like, by eating a varied diet that includes other meats and vegetables and stuff.

>The same reason we don't bottle horse piss

But we do...

>heavily prone to disease and infestations of worms, flies, etc.
Only in the wild. Just like pigs are susceptible to trich, cows get blowflies infesting their wounds, and horses get fucked by roving bands of homosexuals.

>I feel like Americans don't eat enough duck or goose.

Probably because we see them sitting around all day eating dog shit and garbage.

>False. They have just as much "nutritional value" as any other meat
>except for everything besides protein
Wow you don't say.

He'll have that dog impregnated in no time, too. Also your foot. Source: have shared living quarters with a Flemish giant.

also

>Jesus died and returned from Heaven in America

Yes. What are you, muslim or something?

abcnews.go.com/US/mormons-/story?id=17057679

those aren't bottles, you dingnards.

checked

i wish they were i fucking love rabbit and hare, so good

Right. And the Garden of Eden was in Independence, MO. Good, very good, Mormon.

Feed efficiency is probably not enough to justify the yield.

For example, poultry converts 1.8 kg of feed to 1 kg of meat. Pigs is around 3.5 to 1. Rabbit is also around 3.5 to 1. But pigs have other uses with their by products while rabbits have almost no useful by products.

So with the same feed efficiency as pigs. Rabbits are not worth rearing.

cont.

Furthermore, the best method for mass rabbit rearing is cage, like chicken. But as aforementioned, chicken has twice the feed efficiency.

You also need special care for breeding, unlike chicks, rabbit babies requires nursing up to half a year. Chicken can mature in a month.

So it's just not worth the effort. In order for mass rabbit farming, the demand would need to be extremely high.
Rabbit is something people can do at their backyard, feed them veggie scraps and harvest them 3 or 4 times a year.

I've only had rabbit once, but it was almost tasteless and tough. Some of the worst meat I've ever had, but I suppose there's a chance it was just cooked poorly. I'd imagine that's one reason it's not produced commercially.

I don't understand this thread. Rabbitries that breed rabbits for meat commercially do exist, but rabbit meat has declined in popularity in the U.S. over the past century so most stopped and moved onto other things. Now they're mostly farmed as side-projects. Same reason you don't see frog farms anymore.

Unless you're talking about breeding rabbits in factory farms, in which case they do in Asia where the meat and fur are in higher demand.

>eating macro-farmed "rabbit"
>not patronizing a local micro-rabbitry to obtain craft hare meat such as oak-aged chocolate rabbit and high-protein double-fresh-cured rabbit

fuckin plebs

Australia used to have a healthy wild rabbit export market going. The chinks killed it when the government implemented mandatory rabbit breeding.

>hunting them by feeding them raisins socked in alcohol
Danny, the Champion of the World?

Are we talking about the same U.S.? Americans will eat anything.

You monster :(

>In the US at least, you're going to run into some serious road blocks as soon as you mention the word "rodent."

What do rodents have to do with anything? Rabbits are lagomorphs. They're also still routinely eaten in southern and midwest states but usually wild cottontails rather thsn farmed.

how is the pork industry alive?

pigs are dirty and contain a shit ton of worms.

they are a cause of E. Pelori
youtube.com/watch?v=MqPERDo9kWg

My grandfather used to tell me about how their family used to raise rabbits for meat as a kid and how one of them accidentally knocked one out when trying to break it's neck before skinning it. He'd tell us it snapped awake when the pelt was almost completely off and ran around their yard screaming before it succumbed to shock.

they're cute

because white people dont want to eat giant rats

White people domesticated rabbits for meat.

I like wild ones. Get their attention so they look at you and fresze, then put a airgun pellet right between their eyes.

>Rabbits eat their own shit
why is this an issue?
>They can burrow so keeping them contained would be a challenge.
not through a barn.. they have concrete floors
>They breed so much you'd need to be constantly culling them if demand does not meet supply.
You're saying the problem would be excess meat? sounds like a nice problem. Supply also always meets demand when it comes to food, the question is price.

Heard the same story as a kid.

First thing you do when you skin a rabbit is cut it paws off, so I learned it was bullshit when I was old enough.

>not through a barn.. they have concrete floors
You can't really keep rabbits on a concrete floor just like you can't keep chickens on a concrete floor.

You can dig a trench around the pen and place the cage wire several feet underground, but in a large pen, even that doesn't guarantee capture.

>You're saying the problem would be excess meat?

You have to feed meat. Rabbits will breed to out-starve their environment if allowed. At that point, the older males can resort to cannibalism, which is always unhealthy in farmstock.

>You can't really keep rabbits on a concrete floor just like you can't keep chickens on a concrete floor.
yes you can. you put dirt on TOP of the congrete floor.

It takes a long time for artificial selection to work its magic, though, even in a species that breeds as quickly as rabbits. The return on investment just isn't high enough. Maybe in a decade or two when genetic engineering advances further and becomes more widespread, but we aren't going to get extra meaty rabbits until then.

That said, there are in fact rabbit farms contrary to what the people in this thread seem to believe. I remember going to one when I was visiting my grandparents in Scotland as a kid. I've also heard they have a breed of very fluffy rabbits in Turkey witch they farm for wool.

I've had lamb prepared in several different ways throughout my life. It's tolerable but just tastes like a worse version of pork to me. That said I don't like beef much either so perhaps my tastes are just odd. I'd love to try horse one day though, can't help but wonder what it tastes like.

Really?

You know that rabbits pretty much just eat, shit and fuck in a closed environment right?

You know that any rabbit cage or run has a wire or wood floor right?

And you know you have to change that flooring often or else it'll quickly turn into carpet of maggot infested shit if there's no substantial soil ecosystem to handle it right?

You really wanna eat worm-ridden, fly-blown, foot-rot shit-meat?

just release them in the wild, they do best on their own, then hunt them
ever heard about "fucking like rabbits"

The real answer is because rabbit meat is fucking shit.

that is wrong, simple as that
dumb nigger go eat your tendies and let the adults talk

good argument

No, they stole that from the noble and highly creative Africans in Lemuria who built the pyramids and colonized the solar system.

>a breed of very fluffy rabbits
Yeah, they're called Angora rabbits.

WE

you're god damn right

Utah here.

Can confirm.

Too small for a commercial amount of meat
They breed fast but you have to feed them all

mutton > lamb