Hey co/ck/s

Hey co/ck/s

I've been looking at beef jerky recipes all damn day and now i feel inundated with options and can't settle on one.

Hit me with your best jerky marinades and pro tips. much appreciated.

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Nesco-FD-75A-Snackmaster-Dehydrator-White/dp/B0090WOCN0/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1488607292&sr=8-1-fkmr0
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Spicy Beef Jerky
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Curing Time: 12-24 hours
Drying Time: 10 hours
Makes about 1 pound of jerky
Ingredients
4 pounds meat, trimmed of all gristle, fat, and silver skin
3 tablespoons coarse salt
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup water
3/4 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons garlic powder
2 tablespoons chili powder
3 tablespoons coarsely ground black pepper
2 tablespoons red pepper flakes
Directions
1. Cut the meat into 1/4-inch-thick strips. For chewier jerky, cut with the grain of the meat. For tender jerky, slice across the grain. For even more tender jerky, lightly pound the meat with a mallet.
2. Combine the remaining ingredients in a bowl and stir well to blend. Add the meat strips, cover, and refrigerate for 12 to 24 hours. Remove the meat from the marinade and dry on racks (baking racks work well) in the refrigerator for an hour. Place the strips in a 175-degree oven or smoker for an hour or until the internal temperature of the meat reaches 160 degrees. Lower the temperature of the oven or smoker to 140 degrees, and if you are using a standard kitchen oven, crack the door open about an inch to allow moisture to escape. A foil ball works well as an oven door stop. If using a smoker, open all the vents. After five hours, flip the meat strips over and heat or smoke them for another five hours or until they are thoroughly dry.
3. Package the jerky strips in vacuum-sealed zip-lock bags and freeze for up to a year.

Definitely use a smoker if you can.

Bromelain + sea salt overnight in fridge
Take out, wash, sea salt + black pepper + ground red pepper

Dry to your preference, I like mine like a mummy.

For homemade desiccant for storing, take a some silica gel cat litter, fill a small pouch of vacuum seal bag of it, very small, you don't need much at all, and poke holes after sealing all of the corners, then seal that bag inside of a bag containing jerky and remove air.

What are the cheapest cuts of meat for making jerky?

You need to be able to trim all the fat, so I guess any kind of roast is out of the question.

Best "recipe" I have used is marinade in A1 steak sauce overnight, and dry to desired whatever. Regular teryaki sauce works well too.

I also like to do simple salt and pepper, but I use a fuckload of pepper. Like, a 1/4 cup of peppercorns for 3/4 pound of meat. cover both sides with a ludicrous amount of pepper.

If you can, roast and skin some chiles like habanero, jalapeno or whatever, then dry them. Grind them into a powder and use that as a spice on your beef with a bit of salt. Sriracha makes for a good marinade as well.

Basic guidelines are to use strong flavors like onion, garlic, and salt. Liquid smoke is a great flavor, but easily overpowers. Use a good vinegar or acid based marinade to tenderize the meat. If you don't have a dehydrator, your oven will never produce the same level of quality. Don't use the 160 guideline, that cooks the beef, you want to cure and dehydrate it.

Use a lean cut of beef, like top or bottom round, flank steak, or even some of the "roast" cuts. Trim all visible fat and connective tissue. freeze your meat for about an hour to make it easier to make consistent cuts or have the butcher slice it.

Also, with your dehydrator you can make dried fruit, fruit jerky, onion and garlic powder, and dry your own herbs. Its one of the few appliances that can pay for itself.

>Use a lean cut of beef, like top or bottom round, flank steak, or even some of the "roast" cuts. Trim all visible fat and connective tissue. freeze your meat for about an hour to make it easier to make consistent cuts or have the butcher slice it.

Thanks bro.
I guess it probably depends where you live though.
At my local markets, shit like flank and skirt are like $9 per lb.
Ironic, considering that they used to be known as the scraps that the butcher brought home.
But now everybody knows this, and they want to snatch it all up for their carne asada tacos and crap, so the skirt steak meme caused the prices to skyrocket.

It's still pretty easy to find top round steak on sale for $3.49 to $3.99 per lb

Same here, everyone seems to recommend flank steak for jerky, but its often as expensive as ribeye for me. Top/bottom round is cheapest for me at about $3-4/lb. Its rather lean, a bit "livery" but still makes for a good jerky with not a lot of prep of trimming fat/sinew.

Also, if you're in a mexican neighborhood, checkout their carnicerias, ask for something called "milanesa" thin cut. its super lean, cheap, and rather flavorless if you don't like the "livery" cuts of beef.

What kind of dehydrator do you have?

Anyone tried the dr pepper jalapeƱo beef jerky?

>What kind of dehydrator do you have?
I dont have one yet.
I went keto at the start of 2017 and have been basically eating much more meat than I used to.

Do you recommend a dehydrator that you like?

I'm cheap, so I was thinking of going with the Ronco or the Presto for $30-$40, but I'd like to get some opinions.

I've mainly been eating carne picada strips because they're dirt cheap , but they're like 50% fat

I'm not familiar with the Ronco or Prestos. This is a similar model to what I use:
amazon.com/Nesco-FD-75A-Snackmaster-Dehydrator-White/dp/B0090WOCN0/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1488607292&sr=8-1-fkmr0

You can add more trays for cheap to dry more stuff. I say that because onions and beef take up more space than you think. More space on the racks, faster drying time. This model has plastic racks, which need a brush to get clean, and they're not as strong as stainless racks, but are much cheaper. Its not loud, but its not obnoxious either. Think same audio as a microwave turned on.

If you're doing keto (I assume this is essentially carb-free diet) I've dried vegetables like mushrooms, carrots, celery, potatos, onions, with my drier. Easily added to soups/stews for prepping, camping, or saving money.

There are some fish you can dehydrate, but most of them require smoking to be palatable. I'm sure there are some that you can simply dry and cure with seasoning.

The Ronco one really caught my attention because it says it only uses 150 watts

I'm not really sure how that might effect the meat though

>it only uses 150 watts
Are you thinking a dehydrator will run your electric bill through the roof? It won't. Even if you ran it 24/7 for a month, it might add under $5 to your utility bill. Are you using it in a place other than a house or apartment?

I'm looking at reviews.
They said it sucks anyways.
It has no fan, just a heating coil in the bottom that dries with convection, and there are many complaints that the cheap plastic melts over time.

You get what you pay for I guess.

I really like South African jerky aka biltong. Very different from N. American style, give it a try.

I've used the heating coil units before (buddy had one) and it *works* but its fucking slow. Like slower than an oven slow. Its like placing a heat lamp on the beef hoping it'll dry before you turn 50. Overall it'll take 3 days to dry a load of beef. The one I linked has heat and a fan. You don't want much higher than 130F to dry, otherwise you end up cooking the beef. You want regular air movement and dry air. Salt helps draw moisture out to be evaporated.

protip: spray your drying racks with pam or oil or nonstick spray. It will make cleanup of your racks a little easier if you have a wet marinade.

I like you.

Thanks for the tip.
I think I'll look into getting a snackmaster
The reviews say that you don't need to continually rotate the racks like most machines, so that's really a plus.

I stopped rotating my racks, mostly because I would start it in the morning, let it run while at work, and monitor for dryness when I got home. But even when I started, rotating racks didn't seem to do much; the airflow is decent enough that rotation doesn't change anything.

If you eat jerky regularly, it'll pay for itself in under a year. Once you're done with keto, making dried fruit will help pay for itself in savings. (dried apples, bananas, kiwis, strawberries or apricots are great) You can make your own trailmix too.

Experiment with jerkies; 10-20 strips with different dried seasonings is cheap and easy. Marinade with an easy base of Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper, smoke, whatever, then add different shit for tiny batches and find what you like most.

Awesome. Thanks for everything. Gotta go, have a good night bro.

>I like you.
*wags tail happily*
oWooo s-shut up s-stupid!

Do something simple, sweet and spicy.

I've only ever used one, it was my parents, and it has a dozen ingredients and I'm not sure if it makes a difference
but get yourself a good dehydrator. when i was a kid, it used to run for over 12 hours. mine now gets it done in 4.

flank steak cut thin with tons of the marinade, some shit i use is lemon juice and liquid smoke. let that soak for 12 hours or more