Chinese food

whats your favorite chinese based food ck?

ill start with teriyaki chicken over fried rice from panda express

delicious charred taste and that sweet teriyaki sauce to coat the rice

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=6k6nTG0swOQ
youtube.com/watch?v=eJ6svyVvEBE
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Homemade orange chicken.

steam buns for nice fluffy poof taste

Boneless spare ribs. I can never not order them. That sauce is crack

dumplings

Chicken balls.

Never had them. Are they good?

Hainan chicken rice

Ma Po Dou Fu is the fucking best. I had this older chinese gal teach me Mandarin when i was at the Defense Language Institute and she would have me over on the weekends and cook it up. I had to fuck her beat up snatch to get some but it was more than worth diving into that graveyard.

Scallion pancakes

Spicy food from the chongching area of china

Favorite Chinese food for me would be baozi.

I tried those Chongqing food before at a Chinese restaurant, and I really did not enjoy it. It had a weird oil-like hot taste to it.

Hunan province has great spicy food too.

isn't teriyaki japanese?

It seems like OP wants food that have Chinese influence, not simply Chinese food.

Pic related.

Also Peking duck is bretty gud.

Mapo tofu

Chinese, not American but le pretend its chinese.

OP is obvious troll but thread has potential.

xiao long bao - soup dumplings are abosolute god tier dumpling and best China.

I made Kung Pao CHicken a couple of days ago, following this youtube tutorial here:

youtube.com/watch?v=6k6nTG0swOQ

It was really good, but needs more spices than in the recipe, IMHO

this

This thread would have been better titled East Asian food or Pan-Asian food.

Anyway Laksa for me. "Laksa consists of rice noodles or rice vermicelli with chicken, prawn or fish, served in spicy soup; either based on rich and spicy curry coconut milk, or based on sour asam (tamarind or gelugur). It can be found in Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia and Southern Thailand."

I've been meaning to make something like this, but that kind of "chicken stock" does not exist where I live, it's cubes you mix with water or more concentrated black/brown "fond". I don't know what to do.

I'll be honest, most Chinese food is rather terrible.

Unless its deep fried shredded duck.

>Teriyaki
>Chinese
Wow you fucking pleb

Well is we are doing Pan-Asian I will change my post to the best food on earth.

spicy eggplant and tofu over white rice

this feels most authentic

That better be asian eggplant and not big fat flavorless nothing eggplant.

>Thailand
Recently had some Thai food. The panang curry was very similar to Japanese curry just different vegetables, and their tom kha tasted like soured milk.

>The panang curry was very similar to Japanese curry just different vegetables, and their tom kha tasted like soured milk.
You should try another place.

Hate to be that guy... but came here to say dis

He probably isn't wrong about the tom kha. Thai coconut milk soup dishes do have a sour milk taste to them.

Ok anthony you trendfag

salt and pepper shrimp

I've been trying to find a restaurant that sells this to no avail. Does it have an English name?

If we're talking about American Chinese food, I have to say Orange chicken. Sesame chicken is a close second.

Also, on a side note, who the fuck gets sweet and sour chicken? They are basically just chicken nuggets.

haha I watched his episode on shanghai and it sucked, but he is a smart man for highlighting that XLB are incredible.

>eat Chinese food with a friend
>order sweet and sour chicken
>friend "separate the sauce pls"
>only eat the chicken

General Tao chicken as made by a local first generation immigrant Szechuan place where I'm the only white person I've ever seen in it.

Absolutely godly, and not at all like the Americanized general tso.

I'm pretty sure this is an example of a dish going round trip, as I think it's a Sinofied version of the Americanized dish.

>Chinese
>teriyaki

Sweet and Sour Chicken > Orange Chicken > Sesame Chicken

Won Ton Soup

How the fuck do I make orange chicken proper? The sauce I make never comes out right. Orange zest helps, but I can never quite get the hang of it. Maybe. it is the orange juice I use?

Who is that plumpling dumpling?

Braised pork belly

dude, its just prokbelly braised in caramellized sugar,soysauce and cookingwine, if you feel fancy add staranise/asian cinnamon.
its one of the easiest things to do at home ever

the japs I know just use orange marmalade rather than juice/zest

Looks the same to me. What's the name of the place?

The sauce is much less sweet and much spicier than the food court version. The name of the place won't be very useful to you unless you are in Southern Ontario.

boil chicken bones for couple hours, store in your freezer

>"what the fuck I hate soup dumplings now"

>chinese based food

Wait, are you talking about stuff like fortune cookies and egg foo young, or actual Chinese food? Or east-west fushion stuff found in Hong Kong dim sum and cafes?

My favouriites:

Chinese dispoara dish:
Hainanese chicken rice 海南雞飯, often considered Singapore's national dish, it's derived from Yellow Oil Chicken Rice 黃油雞飯, an oily chicken cooked on top of rice in a clay pot

Hong Kong Cafe:
- Baked Pork Chop Rice 焗豬扒飯 - this is a HK comfort food where pork chop is first pan fried, than baked with cheese and tomato slices on top of rice.

Pictured, baked pork chop rice

When I make lemon sauce for chicken or pork, what I do is just dissolve corn starch in cold water, add in fresh squeezed lemon juice, then heat and stir till it thickens.

Am i the only one who FAR prefers Chinese takeout to authentic Chinese food? The authentic style vegetables are good, but their meats and soups make me gag

t. disgusting flyover

No, you aren't the only flyover American here.

Chinese roasted pork belly is fucking heavenly.

I'm also a fan of steamed meat buns of any kind.

i also like mexican food cooked by the same chinese people who cook my americanized chinese food

get bent faggots

t. Bootyblasted flyover

>he voted for Drumpff

As a different person who is in southern Ontario give me the name, I like me some proper spicy Chinese food.

Assuming it isn't in like Windsor and I have to spend 3 hours to get there.

Sichuan Fish Stew (Shui Zhu Yu)

trump won

Szechuan Legend in Markham

t.Bootyblasted samefagger

glad the little bitchboi decided to pipe down

While we're on the subject of [insert ethnicity] based/inspired/diaspora food, what do you guys think about national pride and cuisine appropriation?

Do you care if a food called X originally from country A becomes popular in country B, but they call it Y, and soon other countries start calling it Y and think of it as B's thing?

Examples could be doner/shawarma/gyro, gyoza/mandu/momo/pierogi, latte(coffee drink)/latte(milk), etc.

>from panda express
kill yourself

fucking wops stole our noodles and called it spaghetti

siu yuk

"Real chinese food" is dog meat cooked in an alley way in a trash can. Any sane person likes takeout over this

HEY! HOLD IT THERE. I"M IN SOUTHERN ONTARIO.

You wouldn't be talking about the Markham area user. I know that area is known for its Asian cuisine

We have those dishes at the hong kong cafes in Markham. They're more popular than the typical Cantonese/Canadian restaurants you normally see in other areas.

PRO TIP: Order the Tea time specials if they offered. Their dirt cheap and they always come with a soup and drink.

teriyaki chicken isn't chinese

For me, it's the beef and broccoli.

I'd have to go with Hakka style Chinese food. Anybody's that's had chilli chicken with hakka chow mein knows how god tier that style of food is. for the uninitiated, It's a mix of Indian flavors and traditional Chinese stand bys: chow mein, Manchurian chicken, fried rice.

Markham, Ontario has the best spots. Fredricks, China cottage, tangerine

No, not really. People who talk about "cultural appropriation" and bullshit like that are narrow-minded individuals who did not study the beauty of human history, of how cultural interactions between many peoples also affected local cuisines throughout the world.

I consider it a very beautiful thing, since we get more variety of food. I like food having variety and this is a good thing. Like I enjoy noticing the subtle differences between gyoza, mandu and pierogi for example.

>like gyro
>think shawarma tastes like crap
Why?

but thats not har gow, the objectively best dim sum

ohhhh i fucking love these. i'd always eat this as a kid in guangdong. a local cafe used to serve this often and i'd pair it with some ice cold lemon water

youtube.com/watch?v=eJ6svyVvEBE

Had this over the weekend and it was pretty good. It wasn't as spicy as people made it out to be though.

Variety is good, and you have a good point there, but my problem is not with diffusion, but with the naming.

People will grab onto any identity they can, original names get lost in translation, and "traditional X food" makes good marketing.

A jiaozi recipe and a momo recipe could quite literally be the exact same, since they aren't platonic ideals, but hipsters would still rave about the "traditional tibetan dish." That's not necessarily wrong, but it's disingenuous and shows ignorance, intentional or not. Meanwhile, your chili recipe and my chili recipe could be far more different and still be called chili.

Just the other day I saw a recipe for "vietnamese" short ribs. There was really nothing "vietnamese" about it. The naming is what bothers me. Naming implies ownership. Things like apple pie being considered american or tea being associated with britain does not because it uses plain nouns.

Writing all this has made me realize what I really want is food taxonomy to be a thing.

Maybe they have some weird preparation that makes it "vietnamese," user. It probably just tastes like regular short ribs, but just prepared a different way.

I don't like shrimp so I don't think har gow can be objectively be best dim sum.

>whats your favorite chinese based food ck?
A northern Chinese dish that is pork and mushrooms.
No, it wasn't muxu pork. It had no eggs, but it was swimming in a kind of dark liquid (probably vinegar of some sort) with a bunch of vegetables.
I think it had "pian" at the end of it, but didn't get the rest.

>Szechuan Legend

I felt like I was the only White person in Markham let alone a single restaurant

dark rice vinegar stewed pork that taste sweet and sour, but more sour?

With chips and curry sauce

Just the other day I ate crunchy pork intestine at a Chinese restaurant. If you'd tools me how good it is I wouldn't have believed you.

i see. to each their own either way, user! xiao long bao is v good too

At least you aren't a Jew that can't pork at a dim sum place.

Not sure if it was sour. It was more savory than either sour or sweet. It also wasn't stewed in the way that the sauce is thick. The sauce was really thin.

Yuxiang Rou Si is pretty good.

It's surprisingly good

i wish there was someplace near me to get these. had them once in seattle, been chasing the dragon ever since. i even tried making my own, the filling was on point but i cant wrap dumplings to save my life

I know these are uncommon outside of my area, but I've got four favourites, all from the same hawker nearby:

-melon and clam kang mian
-razor clams mei fun dry style
-chicken and saltfish fried rice
-squid with cauliflower

For food better known to the west, I've yet to have a bad fried lao mian/lo mein. When traveling abroad, it's the only dish my mother will order from """""Chinese""""" places.

I like how rousi, when made properly, have a great synergy with the ingredients. It really makes you like eating vegetables.

My mall used to have a Japanese place that gave you like 2 pounds of teriyaki chicken over a pound of rice for $4

I felt so dirty but fuck me it was good.

These guys?

hong kong style french toast is pretty jammin.