Raw oysters are fucking delicious - what's a good alcoholics beverage to pair it with?

Raw oysters are fucking delicious - what's a good alcoholics beverage to pair it with?

I was thinking cold vodka or a lager, maybe a vodka and Sprite? Also tell me your shucking horror stories

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/DL6diBLppYE
youtu.be/gzsJsbGLTUY
sommelier-vins.com/article-1429168.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

oyster stout

never eat oysters raw from your local asian grocer

i should have been able to figure this out on my own but i had to go and learn the hard way

Stout is a classic. Cold vodka would probably be good too.

I live by the coast in New England and shucking seems like a pain in the ass so I'll keep that in mind

Not big into stouts, I feel as if the hoppy oatmeal taste would muddy that delightful burst of sea flavor

You gotta go with a dry white wine.

I promise you this is the answer.

Yeah I'd go with a lager

I'd go with lager, dark lager, pilsner or pale ale.

The classic pairing is champagne. Go for cava or prosecco if you wanna go cheap, but hell if you're already buying oysters you might as well go for the real deal

This perhaps?

What are those sauces? Tell me, user. I need to know.

Cocktail sauce and mignonette

Most people who get ill after eating raw oysters blame the seafood, but it's usually because they drank too much and pickled them in their stomach. Avoid spirits with oysters.

>never eat oysters raw from your local asian grocer
you should never eat any sort of raw anything from your asian grocer.

I usually just go with a shitty lager

I think thats an urban legend, but I'm too lazy to google sources

I googled around a bit, it seems to be a myth

i know
i was young and stupid

I've never been able to dig oysters
>Far too many different textures
>Slimy, near-liquid, chewy, hard
>Already disparate texture varies greatly from oyster to oyster
>Often contain bits of shell or sand
>Don't really taste like anything other than salt water
>If you eat them with cracker/lemon/cocktail sauce like you're supposed to, it just tastes like cracker/lemon/cocktail sauce
>Dummy expensive for what they are

>chewy

You know that you're not supposed to chew them right?

Idk why tequila and all forms of seafood goes so damn well but it really fucking does and is an underappreciated combo

I'm with this guy. I always remember Hemingway describing how good it was washing down oysters with a nice white wine in a moveable feast.

Also in a semi related story this new guy started in our kitchen like 3 weeks ago and he got to try his first oyster and didn't like it. I instantly hated the guy for this and something got stolen the first and second day he was there, I openly told everyone I was sure it was this oyster hating cunt and like two days later he got caught stealing and was fired. He also came back and stole a bunch of shit from our locker room. Fuck that guy.

skim milk

>you should never eat any sort of raw anything from your asian grocer.

I'm asian and I approve of this message.

Seriously, not even the vegetable greens.

...and don't buy meat or dairy there either. Live fish is okay, but cook completely, do NOT try and make sashmi from something brought at an Asian grocer, unless it's a Japanese run grocery store, which does not exist outside of Japan.

I live over in old England, shucking is a pain in the ass, spend a few mins shucking (depending on how hard it is) and get 1 oyster too time consuming for me.

But one of my friends who is a fisherman can shuck them in about 10 seconds, bloody crazy.

Try absinthe or vodka or other rough drinks. I do really like it with gin though but afte about 10 it gets a bit sickening.

I live right by the sea with a ton of local fishmongers, even a mobile fishmonger van, gotta count myself lucky

For seafood I go with cheap lagers. Go to is high life. Sometimes I'll get Mexican beer like Indio or Modelo

Almost any alcohol pairs well with raw oysters
My favorites are ipa's, bourbon, vodka tonic or even just on the rocks & sake

Sparkling wine.

I used to fuck a stay at home mom while at culinary school. She always had me meet her at the oyster bar in Grand Central, Friday nights.

We'd get full on oysters and perrier jouet, then drive a few hours south to Asbury Park, where we'd get another bottle of bubbly, our room at the Empress Hotel and fuck all night long until she went home to her family.

Good memories, thanks OP. Pic related, the woman (on the left)

Muscadet and white Bordeaux are both classic pairings for raw oysters. You should be able to find either at your local wine shop.

honestly, whats the fucking point of not chewing? why just swallow something and not taste it? it's not like it's baby gravy

nice cold beer. (something light)
A chilled Savignon Blanc paired with fresh raw oysters will make your dick stiff. Try it

I usually do Landshark

Anything dry is the traditional pairing as oysters are typically an appetizer. So a dry sparkling wine (preferably champagne over prosecco). If you're going for a cocktail, try a negroni or a martini (just gin and dry vermouth)

Same

Raw oysters from Chinese grocery lead to 4 days of liquid shits and chills.

This. My go-to with oysters is a dry martini with Hendrick's. Bubbly wine is good, but too sweet for me. I prefer the dry astringent flavor of the gin.

psychopath confirmed

Well then send me to the loony bin because I agree you little bitch

This desu senpai

I lived in a small coastal city when I was slumming it through my young 20's. There was a poor fishing village nearby, and you could buy all the shrimp, fish, and oysters from the poor black fishermen for dirt cheap.

I will never in my lifetime forget sitting on my porch, looking over the marshes with a full moon overhead, eating cheap oysters and drinking even cheaper beer.

youtu.be/DL6diBLppYE
This should explain it all.

Wasn't that the one where they had to climb all the stairs after that lunch? And he threw up oysters and martini in front of the huge clients?

Yep. The clients being the GOP. They didn't care either. Those were the days. Smoking. Drinking. Tastefully hairy vaginas.
youtu.be/gzsJsbGLTUY

>you'll never live a perfect Americana 60's existence
>you'll never kill Commies
>you'll never smoke a cigarette without being shamed or afraid of cancer
>you'll never have a dirty martini at work

Why even live

I miss that show. So damn comfy.

Why'd you quit? Sounds like a damn good life.

I've had a dry martini at work. It was shit and a recall order but I did it.

I got a job. Got married. Moved to an actual city. I'm a million times better off now, but damn I miss it.

Do Americans really eat raw oysters? Fucking disgusting desu.

Prosecco for a nice night out, gin & tonic for sad afternoon alone

Sorry, I am amazed ANYONE would eat oysters raw from their local Asian grocer. Every Asian grocer I have been to - in multiple different cities - has been somewhat gross looking and/or looks like they are going for dirt cheap (and thus may not be of reputable quality) and/or look like they may be past their expiration and possibly relabeled.

I assume he must have been a real jerk about how he didn't like the oyster and not nice/polite but then didn't like the oyster.

>go to irish pub Christmas eve
>50 cent per shuck deal
>12 varieties of oysters to try
>order 2 of each
>gleefully finish all the oysters
>still feel hungry order po' boy sammy
>order bitters due to stomach ache
>end up in bathroom vomiting 24 raw oysters and a po' boy
>they go in just like they come out
>48 oysters for the price of 24

>buying cheap oysters from a pub
You got lucky.

sommelier-vins.com/article-1429168.html

pretty good breakdown, use google translate if you dont speak french

What about higher end Asian grocers like Uwajimaya

HON HON HON OUI JE PARLE

What kind of backwards, incest baby populated village are you from?

It's based on a nugget of truth. Eating slimy, soft (albeit delicious) oysters raw and mixing it with the stomach churning effects of alcohol isn't a great idea.

A Bloody Mary

dry white wine everything else is retard tier desu

>48 oysters for the price of 24
OP here - what the fuck

I mean glad it worked out but Jesus Christ

Hysterical - thanks for the tip

Champagne or Cava