What's the general consensus on these things?

what's the general consensus on these things?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/QhY6QzNwnDE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

It's good for moms who work all day while their husbands are busy working all day. They put cans of junk into it, set it to "low" and 10 hours later dinner is ready.

Sounds to me like your mom cooks your dinner

Good for easily making stews, and conveniently cooking tough, cheap cuts of meat. Its never a really good option, but 4lbs of meat, $1 packet of seasoning, and you can have an easy dinner that took less than 10 minutes to make.

It's the best way to cook corned beef.

False.

Of course she did, who else would?
but don't start defending women you'll never meet in hopes you'll earn fuck-points and get to cash them in on sex

I didnt say she used to. I said she does.

It should be in every home cook's kitchen. It works great for stews and sauces, and for low heat braising of any number of meat cuts. I don't use mine as much as I once did, but it was a valuable tool on my road to learning how to cook.

im thinking of getting one for chicken and other stuff but im worried about it staying unused.

handy for some things, a poor choice for others.

Its just a cooking tool, it all depends on how you use it.

I rendered tallow with it once. It worked good.

They are inexpensive, and there will be a day where you'll say to yourself, "I wish I had a crock pot for this recipe". Just buy one.

Great for making a good stock out of my chicken carcass.

My slow cooker is the closest thing I'll ever have to a wife or significant other, it cooks for me while I'm at work.

>fuck-points

I like to cook my food like how I fuck your mom: slowly and all day while you're at work

Cuckpot

im a huge fucking homo and the best meal i've ever eaten was out of a crockpot just like this

Woah, you're really funny and original, user. You must get all the ladies.

Good for making stocks, soups, fondues, and tender shreddable meats

Yeah, including your mother.

They're a crock.

>10 hours later dinner is ready.
That's what I like about it, I plug it in before I leave for work and when I come back either dinners ready or my house burned down

good for chicken thighs surprisingly.

makes really good stew and it's only like $25

Mommy would put pic related in a beef roast with halved onions and potatoes. She didn't bother searing off the roast or anything. She didn't add herbs either. She just threw in the beef with the cream of whatever. It came out looking and tasting like gray amorphous protein covered in cum.

Mommy did the best she could.

>Its never a really good option
truth

Damn right. Made some with ketchup, soy sauce, and honey. Came out great.

I usually use mine to make pork rib.

You sound like a working class chump. I bet you thought it would be a great "investment", how you would wake up to a warm, healthy breakfast to start off your long day. Maybe, you even had a couple thoughts about all the other nifty little uses you could find for the thing, how it would help you cook healthier meals in general, shed a couple pounds off the old gut, boost your confidence around work and with the ladies. Yeah, maybe that slow cooker would start your life cooking again, wouldn't it? I can see your strained hands holding the box and reading through it carefully at the store. A little bit pricey, but you're the type of guy who thinks everything is more than you can spend, aren't you. And look what happened to you. Look what the slow cooker did to you. Fucked you over, and made you clean it like a useless bitch. You don't even fucking like oatmeal. Piece of shit, you've been repeating those three words your whole life, haven't you. Yeah, how was work after that piece of shit fucked you over? I bet it was on your mind the whole day, you probably didn't say shit to nobody. Can't be telling people about your mistakes. How your little fix yourself plan, failed you. Don't want people to start thinking you're the failure. You're the piece of shit, all along. You don't want that do you? You don't want to be the piece of shit everybody secretly whispers about, do you? Was your father a piece of shit like you? I bet he never had a slow cooker. He had a woman, a house, a damn good job. I bet it's slow cooking you the fuck alive, isn't it. Comparing yourself to him. How one day when all the steam runs our of your life, you'll discover how you're nothing more than burnt shit to be scrapped off and thrown in the trash.

best method to cook a roast

>>dat response

Me too, we should bum!!!

At least post the gif.

Newfag here. Is this some kind of notorious Veeky Forums pasta?

Yes. And since Veeky Forums is women and reddit central, this pasta gets about 5 serious replies every time it's posted.

Every crockpot thread xD mega top kek

They're only 20 bucks, it's well worth it even for a handful of times a year. Especially during the winter, mmmm.

I don't understand what you're supposed to do with them. anything I could make in it I might as well just cook in a normal pot. I don't get how cooking while you're at work is supposed to help since you still need to chop your vegetables and sear the meat and fuck getting up at 5am to start cooking.

Do you ever cook cheap, tough cuts of meat that require low and slow cooking in your pot when you get home from work?

>Tender shreddable meats
What's the best combo of beef or chicken and sauce?

Made carnitas with a slow cooker a week ago (with tortillas, guacamole and salsa). Unfortunately I didn't have the chance to taste it myself, but all my friends raved about how good it was.

any kind of made-from-scratch chilli has got to be top of the list for me. would go with beef chuck or blade, or even beef cheeks if you can get them.

seconded.. Corned beef is awesome in a slow cooker

Just get an electric pressure cooker with a slow cooker mode. Best of both worlds.

Sous vide is second and smoker is first, so slow cookers can only be third at best.

Beef cheeks are best shredded
Like for bolognese
For chili, chuck > all

10/10 gg no re

I use mine everytime I get a joint of meat, usually beef. Season it properly, and leave it on low for 8 hours in the juices from the last time I cooked a beef joint. It gets better every time.

I use mine a lot during the week when I work. I can whip up everything I need for chili or pot roast in about 15 minutes, throw it in, and come home to hot decent meal ready to go.

best thing for guaranteed average food.

Only for average cooks

It's just a heating element, no different than a pot. The quality you get out of it depends on what you put into it.

that'll be eight fuck-points please

3/10

But in general I have had shitty experiences with these things, either they burned my food or did not cook my beans because I couldn't afford the higher-end models that had some semblance of temperature control

I've never seen good food come out of one, but I'm sure it's possible.

I like using mine, they are more versatile than people want to give them credit for. You can make a lot of good food for a cheap price to feed larger groups. Great piece to have around even if you only use it a few times a year.

>burned my food
>crockpot

Do you have trouble preparing a glass of water?

Rich son of a bitch

Getting an instant pot on Amazon prime day was worth it. $60 well spent

I make chili and stew but you still have to prepare the other ingredients and sear the meat before you can leave it.

I mean you don't HAVE to sear the meat, it's just advised. Anyway I can dice my veggies while the meat is searing. Maybe 15 minutes of work all told.

technique + solid recipe and you can cook some great stuff in a crockpot.

I've even seen pulled pork cooked in one that was spot on.

They are gucci

yeah, it's a race of who can post it first

Jokes on you, I'm unemployed

>the higher end models
Oh, that sixty dollar one was waaaaay too much

I believe you. I just don't see the crockpot as something used by people who give a shit about food. It's like a microwave. You could use it to make something good, but that's really not its purpose. Its purpose is convenience, which usually leads to shitty food.

What's the fundamental difference between say, putting a dish in the oven for several hours versus putting food in a crockpot for several hours?

Nothing. But there is a specific mentality of the person who has an oven yet still decides to buy a dedicated device for slow cooking. The person who goes out and buys a crockpot does it because they want to have a hot meal with minimal effort. Minimizing effort usually is antithetical to food quality.

>Nothing

So you're just shitposting. At least you admit it and I accept your apology.

My point is that while you can make good food in a crockpot that is not what most people use it for. It's like Kraft Singles. Ludo Lefebre fucking loves using them, and he makes some pretty good food. But most folks using them are not making good food.

>literally easy mode for "chefs"
>makes the house stuffy
>food "falling apart" is not always a good thing

It's shit

I have this model of slow cooker, you can wear your meat and saute veggies in the insert.
It's good because it saves washing up and the flavour stays in the pot.

youtu.be/QhY6QzNwnDE

I have one and love it. I use it to make grits, oatmeal, soup, chili, chickens, and slow cooker pork. Could I do these things in a dozen other cooking methods, heat sources, pans or pots? Sure. But you know what? I can also do it in a slow cooker and pay even less attention.

I freakin love this thing and a large one costs what... 35 bucks? Fantastic investment.

People that shit on slow cookers and the people that use them are retarded food snobs that fell off the deep end a long time ago. I am a food hipster by most definitions, but I will not deny the reality that slow cookers are amazing.

I put food in my slow cooker on Sunday morning and then go out for the day and get drunk, when I get home my dinner is cooked, my lunch is sorted for Monday at work. What a nifty little invention.

You forgot to add in a comment about "flyovers" to complete your post.

>carnitas
Never heard of it until now. Recipe sounds delicious and simple. Will try.

You can make a solid B+ meal with very little effort, so it's definitely a great thing.

My point was not that good food can't come out of these things, it just rarely does.

RAIN DROP

Keeps falling on my head

yeah, if YOU DON'T KNOW HOW TO FUCKING USE ONE

I use mine more than most shit I buy with the intention of improving my life (e.g., keyboard, Spanish lessons/guide, video game system, pub table). I'm pretty happy with it. Other than pan frying a steak, it's the only time I ever cook. Stuff never turns out quite like I hope. The weirdest thing is the color--the pictures in the cookbooks look so vibrant, and mine always ends up beige or brown. No matter how many red and green veggies I use, it always turns into colorless mush.

Your poor cooking skills aren't an excuse user.

For you.

Crock pots are obsolete in the day and age where Pressure Cookers are affordable, can do their job, and then do all the amazing stuff Pressure Cookers are known for.

>person who has an oven yet still decides to buy a dedicated device for slow cooking.
Think about it like this: there's no safety risk involved in using a crockpot. If you want to slow cook something for hours and be able to leave your house, doing that with a stove or oven is going to make most people uncomfortable. No one wants to leave their oven running all day while they're at work. But with a crock pot, you can leave it on all day without needing to worry about your house potentially burning down.

That's the biggest reason they're useful. Yes, you can accomplish the same thing in an oven, but running a crockpot for 10 hours unattended is a lot easier to do worry-free.

ever wonder if it's YOU that sucks at cooking?
pic related, your dinner

They're a meme. I stopped used mine after a few weeks when the novelty wore off and I got sick of everything tasting exactly the same.

did you try washing it out?
do you get sick of water too?

>meme = overated
Milleniel faggot detected.

How exactly did you intend for a video game system to improve your life?

Just got home from work and my dinner is cooked and my house smells awesome.

Got some lamb forequarter chops, garlic, rosemary, red wine, thyme and a bunch of veggies. Should be good.

This

I grew up eating lots of crockpot meals, most of the time they do what theyre supposed to do, and they do it well. But the food ranges from edible to "jesus i dont want to eat this but im hungry".
Everything will taste like everything else.

Just buy an instantpot pressure cooker and use that instead. You can make anything a crockpot would make but it will taste 100x better. Also you can use those fucks to make so much shit.

Just cooked another beef joint in the slow cooker, didn't turn out as well as the last one since I ran out of my beef seasoning and had to improvise.

Still pretty damn good.

Good! can make some good ass shit with them.

Throw in some of the toughest meet you've got in the morning and it will fall off the bone by dinner time.