Frying pans

What is the best material for a everyday frying pan / skillet and why is it plain uncoated aluminium?

>Inb4 "Muh all-clad is 1000% better"

Other urls found in this thread:

all-clad.com/Cookware/Fry-Pans/COPPER-CORE®-12"-Fry-Pan/p/8700800024
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

meme pan master race reporting in

>2017
>Believing that a pan covered in beeswax from the factory is superior.

I use my cast iron skillet nearly everyday, it takes a bit of time to get up to temp but i'm willing to bet it would outlast any other type of pan. Cheap too.

Similar to me, i have an enamelled skillet though.

Hi /ck

I'm starting to build a collection of half decent cookware to replace my shit-tier now that i have a full time job, what kind of pans would you recommend? I need both saucepans & a frying pan, plus anything else good but not that expensive.

For a dedicated frying pan only cast iron or rolled steel like are really acceptable. It needn't be a DeBuyer, other manufactureres make good rolled steel pans too, at a more affordable price (not that the DeBuyers are truly expensive).

I'd reccomend some good stainless steel saucepans, and probably a good non-stick frying pan.

You'll find two types of the sauce pans, one is "fully clad" and the other has a disk bottom. Basically it refers to where the layer of aluminium is on the pan, fully clad has it on the bottom and sides, and the disc bottom has, you guessed it, a disk of aluminium at the bottom.

Disc bottoms are a good bit cheaper but still high quality if you get the right brand. I would recommend them over the fully clad pots if your just a home cook. People say that having just a disc of aluminium at the bottom leads to hot spots on the sides, but i've never found this to be true so long as you keep the gas at a level where it isn't reaching around the sides of the pan. Make sure to get a pan with straight sides and the disc covering the entire bottom. Pans like the pic related are completely useless imho.

Frying pans should be either fully clad or a good aluminium non-stick

Get the all clad Cuisinart set off amazon + a teflon frying pan (a cast iron pan is cheap if you want that too).

>this car is great! as long as you're ok going half the speed limit all the time
Evil troll, go away

The only good advice ever consistently given in these threads is all clad, the rest of it is memesters promoting their ONE WEIRD TRICK that MAINSTREAM HOUSEWIVES AND CHADS don't ant you to know

If I listened to Veeky Forums I'd be autistically massaging the pores of my vintage griswold pans with flax oil for 45 minutes a day, cooking on my superior electric stove (gas is very dangerous and is only for hillbillies who live in rural areas and have no other choice), and wondering why my copper and aluminum pans keep leaching dangerous mycotoxins into my food because 18/10 stainless lining is a chinese hoax to destroy the US economy also pls buy instant coffee

Why the fuck would you have the gas up full on a sauce pan that is smaller than the max area of the burner? You're just wasting gas up the sides like a retarded faggot, but then again you probably are one.

All clad is only actually worth half its price for material and build quality, the rest is pure brand name meme pricing. Prove me wrong.

I second this, apart from copper there is nothing better for spreading heat evenly than thick aluminium. Like the cucks go on about their meme pans, you do realist that an all clad is just a standard aluminium but with a layer of cheap stainless inside and out, right?

But don't let that spoil your party.

You do realise that they teach English in schools these days, don't you?

All clad is more than just an aluminium pan with 2 layers of stainless.

>Why the fuck would you have the gas up full on a sauce pan that is smaller than the max area of the burner?
Because I need heat, stoves are for heat, remember? Why even bother using a stove at all if you just want to gently warm your food? You can just microwave it, or put it in a steamer basket. Pans are also used by some people for direct heating though, and you want the full range of control when you're cooking with direct heat.

>All clad is only actually worth half its price for material and build quality,

All clad makes a huge range of products, the fact that you lump them all in as "meme pricing" proves that you're just too poor to even consider them, enjoy your flimsy disc bottom garbage and gently warmed food with scorch rings on the sides

>calling everything you don't like memes
Time for you to get off Veeky Forums.

You are aware that more than one brand makes all-clad pans right?

>gently warmed food with scorch rings on the sides

This is 100% either autistic or retarded

>You are aware that more than one brand makes all-clad pans right?

I don't think you understand the difference between a brand, a manufacturer, a trademark, and a design

If you are just trying to say there are other brands of pans that resemble all clad, just say that and don't try to use words that are above your level of comprehension

Maybe you wanted to say cuisinart MCP? Go slow and let the words form in your mind before you try to finish the sentence all at once. I believe in you user!

So you would gladly pay £180 + for what is basically an aluminium pan with 2 layers of stainless?

I agree fully that pans with full aluminium cladding can be superior but if your happy with paying that your brain is clearly made of budget chicken soup.

Even fucking ikea sells fully clad pans these days, All clad are nothing special.

>So you would gladly pay £180 + for what is basically an aluminium pan with 2 layers of stainless?

What's that worth these days, about $60 USD? Yeah, sounds about right. I think I paid $70 for my All Clad MC2 12" skillet, which has some of the thickest (although not the absolute thickest) aluminum of any 18/10 lined aluminum pan. Any significant performance upgrade would have cost like $200 at least

Sorry about the falling pound, must suck to be using only flimsy Ikea pans, but hey, at least the brown man will stop keeping you down :^)

That ikea pan your thinking of is from their Sensuell range. the 28cm one is only £35 and is easily the best pan I've ever used.

Of course your going to pay less you cum sucking faggot. It's going to cost more to buy all-clad over here due to the fact their imported from murica. How much does De buyer, Le Creuset, Mauviel, Staub etc.. cost over there?

I can guarantee you it'll be cheaper here, but that's besides the point. All clad is expensive for what it is.

Fucking hell this place is full of brand name fanboys, and your all most likely cucks.

If you had have a brain you would go to your local restaurant supply store and pick up aluminium & fully clad pans for cheap. These will be better value than any name brand stuff.

>How much does De buyer, Le Creuset, Mauviel, Staub etc.. cost over there?

Depends on where you're buying. There's street price and there's MSRP. MSRP really only applies to luxury stores at high end malls and such. An obsolete business model. You'd have to be an idiot to pay MSRP these days but then, you seem to be one so yeah. If you're too gullible to figure out how to buy pans at the market price then all bets are off, I don't even know what to tell you. Maybe just watch some youtube shill video for advice

>All clad is expensive for what it is

As I said before, all clad makes far too many product lines to make a statement like that without sounding incredibly ignorant. The MC2 series is basically unrivaled in terms of aluminum thickness for the money spent, among lined pans. Even the ones that supposedly outdo all clad, like cuisinart MCP, don't have that level of thickness. The features of an all clad D7 or MCP Pro are only applicable if you use induction stoves, which is a niche market. Most people do not need that and would be better served with the higher performing, lower cost all clad MC2

So, trip over some boxes and be told "no credit card unless you have a wholesale account" just so I can have the privilege of buying a stick-handle pan that costs exactly the same as my all clad but needs 3 layers of dishrags to grasp comfortably? Yeah, no thanks. "Industrial chic" is a big deal to some people but not me. I like my comfy handles and I like my credit card points

The cheaper pans at a restaurant store are the unlined ones. The lined ones are no cheaper than an equivalent "home use" brand purchased at market price (not to be confused with MSRP which apparently is all some around here can manage). Sometimes they're actually more expensive, inb4 you dig up some product that is not even comparable but you'll insist it is in order to win an internet arugment

Your autism is showing

Ok, I'll bite. What did you mean by "more than one brand makes all-clad pans"? Is there now all clad by adidas? Burberry for all clad? Subaru: the all clad pan?

Haha i forgot, some people on Veeky Forums don't or have never worked in a kitchen before but they get all pissy when you comment on their expensive cookware of choice.

What exactly in your opion makes a pan "compareable" to all clad pans?They're a sheet of aluminium between 2 sheets of stainless, with a metal handle. There will be hundreds of pans from different brands made in a similar way. I'm not saying all clad are a bad make but they're by no means as special as you seem to think.

Not all of all-clad's products are made in the USA, its not exactly a secret and i believed it to be common knowledge.

Thickness of the aluminum, presence of stainless lining, and a handle that doesn't require dishrags

Does that seem really complicated to you?

So, once again, you don't understand what "brand" means

This pan has a good thickness of aluminium, is fully clad with both the inside and out in stainless and has an all metal handle with the same heat choke as all-clads do.

The cost? £30 (Less if you have an account and can claim back the tax)

You keep going on about the thickness of the aluminium in all clad, do you even know how thick it is?

Are you faggots really all arguing over which type of frypan is the best?

Do you realise how gay this argument is?

Would you argue in public like this?

Cast iron is best anyway.

About 3mm

What about the IKEA pan? Guessing well under that

The thread

Solid silver pans are the best. Shouldn't be on Veeky Forums without one.

Wait, your belief that all clad is superior to other brand of cookware is based on it having "about" 3mm of aluminium at the base?

I'd rather by a cheap non stick pan, they'll have that or more.

About the middle of last year i bought an all clad copper core skillet, the one shown here;

all-clad.com/Cookware/Fry-Pans/COPPER-CORE®-12"-Fry-Pan/p/8700800024

It's a very nice pan but a bit heavy, and because of that and the time it takes to heat up i'm finding myself just using a cheap tefal non-stick more and more.

It's a nice pan and i was very happy to get it, but desu i wish i had just got one of their standard skillets or something lighter and thinner.

Cast iron or carbon steel is lot better for every day pan as they are essentially non-stick which is way better for eggs and fish for example.

>plain aluminum
>not anodized

Standard aluminium is an excellent material for frying pans. A bit soft but once seasoned it heats quickly, spreads heat well and sears very nicely.

>something lighter and thinner.

Why? thick and heavy is a good thing.

What's the best skillet for pizza?

Again, all clad is a large brand with many products. Trying to argue about the advantages and disadvantages of the whole product line vs a single arbitrary pan is like saying "Random House is for kids, I only buy books published by Ten Speed Press"

And yes, about 3mm on the MC2. Their cheapest line has the most aluminum. You can look it up on the centurylife database. Similar quality pans from a restaurant supply store will have a price pretty close to the MC2, that is, about $70 for a 12 inch in the 3mm thickness range, stainless lined

Any serious cook should *also* have a nonstick pan. They are a niche tool and are in no way a substitute for stainless lined aluminum, so your attempt at comparing them is dumb

Those are horribly overpriced for what they are, this is the kind of pan that gives all clad a reputation as being expensive and underperforming

Not when you just want to cook come bacon or eggs etc.. for breakfast, then quick to heat up and easy to handle are more important.

There comes a point of diminishing returns with a thick pan.

The debuyer is a must-have, really becomes a great pan once you get it seasoned right. My go-to for all high-heat cooking

I also find a saute pan handy for rewarming vegetables and such

A pot for braising is necessary, as is a small pot for rewarming sauces

A big pot is also a crucial piece. Blanching, stockmaking, etc.

Woops, this is a thread about materials, not about what pots/pans to buy. Oh well. Maybe my little list will be helpful to somebody.

I keep looking at stainless steel saute pans but I can't visualize what I will do in it. For the record I have: stock pot, rarely used, 4qt pot, for boiling pasta, or vegetables, a carbon steel pan, all seating and sometimes cooking vegetables, I try to avoid high acid stuff though. I'm thinking adding a 8" non stick frypan for omelettes and things (I know the carbon steel will be able to handle but it's heavy) and I feel like I also need one of those straight sided saute pans for some reason

Cast iron for proteins.
Ss for proteins but you want a pan sauce
ss for almost everything else
teflon for eggs

/thread

this + induction cooktop
i will actually make meat not on the girll now

>Carbon steel
>Heavy
Are you a little girl?
Carbon steel (like de Buyer) is lighter than anything else.

I wish they could make an enamelled aluminium skillet, so it could be a bit lighter.

what would be the point of that?

Whatever the regular steel pans they sell in restaurant supply stores is. So OP's pic I guess?

you dumb goys can fuck off now

To make it less tiresome on my girly wrists and arms.

N.O.P.E.

Silver still reigns king.