Cooking Tips Thread

Science fag here. Just wanted to share a tip I learned from a chemistry professor you might find useful.

I won't go too much into the technicals but salt molecules help to prevent pasta in boiling water from sticking together. For this reason my professor says she always adds salt to her pasta when boiling it. Tried it out for the first time and it worked great

>professor

>she

Women belong in the kitchen, not at a university. Barefoot and pregnant. Let me guess, shes got a PhD. in home economics, and is a top contributor on Allrecipes comment section?

Good to see those tax dollars go to use

She's has a PhD in chemistry you misogynist and she shared this useful tip she learned in grad school. What have you done with your life?

>had to go to grad school to learn to salt pasta water

you salt the pasta for flavor dumb ass

iff you don't want them to stick add it while the pot is already boiling and give it a quick swirl when it goes soft

Oh great, another woman falseflagging so she can get offended at herself
There we are

The classic steorotypical "I knew that all along" user, fucking kek you have no knowledge of molecular ions and salt molecules, and you probably didn't know of this trick. Get off your pedestal

not OP but if you fill the pot with hot water instead of cold it boils faster because it starts off a little hotter already

not this user but if you fill the pot with cooked pasta instead of raw it cooks instantly because it starts off cooked already

not either of these people but if you put the cooked pasta on a plate then you don't need to get the pot hot

I'm not those people, but if you eat before you cook, you dont even need to cook

not any of you but if you eat your own shit you dont even have to get out of bed most days

>i wont go into technicals
i don't understand
>salt molecules
>salt

OP here. Not sure if this is bait but I'll explain since you asked.

I assume you know what salt is.

Salt molecules however are akin to the little grains of salt you would get if you grinded up table salt. The smallest piece of salt you could possibly see. They have molecular ions which bind to the starch of the pasta

>first time

nigga people have been doing that shit for hundreds of years. it pains me to know that yet another soul has been eating unseasoned pasta for years.

thanks for the explanation, though i dont think you quite got the original message

There is no evidence that supports adding salt to water prevents pasta from sticking.

There is no such thing as salt molecules. Salt is a mineral composing of sodium and chlorine. You can stop pretending to be a sciencefag now.

>he doesn't believe in molecules

This is a fucking joke, right?

Molecules do not exist. There are only atoms that form chains together.

Make a thread on Veeky Forums saying that I dare you

can anyone confirm if this works or not?

I should make a thread on Veeky Forums about how adding salt to pasta water will keep the pasta from sticking, too. Both are equally dumb statements.

>Salt molecules however are akin to the little grains of salt you would get if you grinded up table salt. The smallest piece of salt you could possibly see. They have molecular ions which bind to the starch of the pasta

Where did you copy and paste this from? The word "however" makes it seem like there was some explanation going on beforehand.

you add salt to the water for flavor anyway, dumbass

shiteater here, can confirm

No I explained my professor's salt ion theory on Veeky Forums the other day and they were impressed

>pretending to understand science that doesn't exist
How sad is your life?

>frogposting
Very sad, indeed.

>woman false flagging to be offended by herself

Like all boards, then, Veeky Forums is filled with idiots that don't know their own board topic.

Samefag detected

>muh false flag
Nope. Get destroyed bigot

Reread ionic bonds
In water, there are no salt molecules, as the Na+ and Cl- ions dissociate

Forgot the pic

Over cooking pasta is what causes pasta to stick. If your noodles stick it's because you cooked them too long you dumb fuck.

OP, this is Veeky Forums. If you don't support your argument with evidence you are guilty until proven innocent.

>He doesn't know the difference between covalent and ion bonds
LMAOing @ your life

Its another one of those

>Veeky Forums can't do science
Threads

>wow I can press F12
Go make up some more problems and blame you being a shit person on them

Fuck you I don't know how to F12 proxy or whatever that trick is. You're in denial that misogyny exists

>Fuck you I don't know how to F12 proxy or whatever that trick is. You're in denial that misogyny exists
baiting too hard there buddy

I found this loop hole a while back... Bring a bunch of steaks and bananas to the self checkout at walmart, enter the banana code for everything and you'll get steaks for next to nothing instead of 12.99/lb or whatever ridiculous price they're charging.

>>woman false flagging to be offended by herself
normally i would agree with you but I am almost certain op is saying this in such a way to invite trolls. Even if they where serious, they wouldn't say things in this exact way. normal people don't talk about advice from friends like this.

>42 / 5 / 20 / 1
>no Knorrā„¢ Chicken Stockpot

maybe there's hope for this shit board after all

Equilibrium can be offset by more NaCl than can dissociate in your solution. Not that it matters. I feel faggy now.

>le ironic misogyny

>molecular ions
>NaCl
Fuck you, you chemistry-illiterate bitch.

Ironically, I'm posting this from pittcon.

Drinking and cooking from the hot water tap is bad for your health.
Both because of shit in your hot water cylinder and because hot water is more likely to contain metals from the pipes which it picks up on the way such as lead.
idk if it's very small ammounts or not but you shouldn't make a habit of drinking/cooking with water from the hot tap.

>molecular ions
>salt molecules

holy fuck, even high school kids know this
Too bad your shitty, degenerate education system in burgerlandia led to this.

>been doing this nearly my whole life

Whelp, there's another thing to add to my list of anxieties and what ifs.

>salt molecules
>professor
>she

She means "ions," and don't lie. She's a women's studies professor, not chemistry.

>Salt molecules however are akin to the little grains of salt you would get if you grinded up table salt. The smallest piece of salt you could possibly see. They have molecular ions which bind to the starch of the pasta
You have NO CLUE what you're talking about.

>Goes to college to learn how to add salt to boiling water

Fucking millennials.

>adding random particles prevents bonding
wow who could have guessed

gee is that why they throw cheap salt on icy roads to prevent water from boding into ice?

[spoiler]tfw took the bait[/spoiler]

I asked about this on here about a week ago and someone said chefs salt the water so the pasta absorbs the sodium

Seriously now, why do Americans seem to have so many problems with cooking pasta? sometimes I feel like I am being baited

Adding salt to water makes it boil faster.

If youre cooking red cabbage and hate when it turns "blueish" and loses flavor, add vinegar before cooking. It also works with dark/colorful greens too. Balsamic vinegar and bacon is goat

OLIVE OIL
SALT AND PEPPER
OLIVE OIL

there are enough impurities in tap water that adding one more impurity in the mix doesn't really significantly shorten the boiling time.

You've tried to add salt to ice water yeah? It lowers the freezing point of the water so it can get colder -> so the water gets colder because of it. That's why you see retarded trends challenges online where they tell you to put salt on your hand and hold an ice cube to it, it causes frostbite.

Adding salt to the water does the same thing here and makes the water boil faster, plus it adds taste to the pasta.

>and makes the water boil faster
Adding salt will make pure h2o boil faster. Adding salt to tapwater will raise the boiling point if anything.

Google it if you don't believe me, it's true either way.

Which means the pasta will cook faster dipshit

Ok sure, but a higher boiling point absolutely does not mean 'the water boils faster'.

You google it if you don't believe me. Even if you want to be absurdly correct and say "a teaspoon of salt will make your 4 litres of tapwater boil 1.5 seconds faster" you may be right on a technical level but practically it's no different and also you'd be a huge cunt.

I'm going to bet you're a woman.

Oh it exists. It's perpetuated by women. Men who are so blatantly sexist tend to not get women and go extinct.

Women who put down other women can often make themselves look superior.

Most often, men are chauvinistic. They believe than women need to be protected and cared for and as a man they have a duty to do so. A chauvinist would never blatantly insult a woman, it's too cruel and unsightly.

Okay, let's back off a minute.

Adding salt will raise the boiling point of water.

This will raise it's maximum temperature.

This in turn will cause it to cook the spaghetti faster.

Correct?

Cause it seems like we're saying the same thing and arguing about it.

Not any of them, but adding a few teaspoons of salt to a pot of water will make changes so insignificant it's not even worth discussing them. Infinitesimally increases the boiling point.

The reason salt is mostly added is because of the flavor. Pure and simple. Some also say because of starch gelatinization and texture although I never noticed any difference.

yeah, my chem teacher walked me through the math. Turns out, raising the temperature 10 degrees would exceed the soluability of salt in water.

the spaghetti looks like it's having a bath and it's super comfy

>Men who are so blatantly sexist tend to not get women and go extinct.
This is nowhere near true. Plenty of chads who get laid all the time are hugrly sexist, they just hide it around the women they want to fuck.

Hiding a belief is the same as knowing it's wrong.

What if it's a kitchen university?

>Hiding a belief is the same as knowing it's wrong.
You mean how atheists in Saudi Arabia know they're wrong? People hide beliefs because they're not accepted, not because they're wrong.

So I know everyone is calling you a faggot, and truth be told you probably are one, who the fuck thinks they're going to argue anything slightly pro feminist on Veeky Forums?

But you're telling me ionised NaCl binds to the pasta? Where abouts? Pasta is mostly starch, which is alpha glucose polymers. Where the fuck are they gonna accept an ion? And how does an ionised NaCl stop a hydrolised glucose from binding to another hydrolised glucose? And does this mean it only works with highly ionised salt? What if I deionise the salt? I'm honestly interested.

Also that's not what a salt molecule is. A salt molecule is just one Na and one Cl atom bound together with an ionic bond.

Are you saying there's something wrong with being a muslim? UGH.. it's 2017 can you not

no dummy it fucking LOWERS the boiling temp. Thats the reason they put salt on snow, to lower the melting point, so the snow will turn to liquid at a lower temp.

baka.

That's really not how it works. Salt increases intermolecular bonds while interfering with crystalization. As a result, salt increases the boiling temperature marginally while dropping the freezing point massively.

You can check this by boiling some water and putting some salt in as soon as it stops boiling. If it boils after you add the salt but no additional heat then the boiling point must have dropped. If it's currently boiling and adding salt slows down or stops the boiling then the boiling point must have risen. Check this for yourself if you wish.

First time I tried this for home made mac and chease, milk chease, oil, butter in the pyrex, boiled noodles underneath. It worked.
Am I a mad man or a genius?

Imagine being this dumb.

The cheese would either dry to a crisp or burn.

That's just a poor man's double broiler. Ideally, though, you won't want it to touch the water because the bottom will get too hot.

boiler*

Yeah but this way i get to cook noodles and cheese at the same time

It's almost like stoves have multiple burners for this reason.

OP here

I'm from the US you dip

Dude she teaches chemistry that'a where I learned this trick. Have you never had a female science professor ever?

It prevents bonding the starch from bonding to other starch, that's the point. It keeps the pasta from sticking together. Same principle with road salt See post

It increases the point at which the water will boil and therefore will cook the pasta faster, but it will also take longer for the water to reach that higher temperature.

There's zero scientific information, aside from your anecdotal experience, to credit your claim.

I need tips for cooking on an induction burner, anytime I try cooking chopped potatoes it sticks to the pan even though I use oil, help? :(
I have a magnetic pan that says it's for induction so idfk what I'm doing wrong

You're trying to flip the potatoes before they have fully cooked. Wait until the bottom layer cooks then it will release itself from the pan and will flip with no problem.

Use a non stick pan if that this shit at cooking.

Alternatively pre-heat the pan properly without any oil, when at temp add the oil in, swirl round then add the potatoes. Never put food in a cold pan then put the pan on the heat, guaranteed sticking, unless its teflon or something.

I always wanted to make some past with some sea water just to see if there's any difference.

To an extent. The amount of salt you would need to keep every single piece of pasta from sticking to anything would basically make your meal inedible, essentially enough sodium and chlorine ions to keep all of the hydrogen and oxygen binding points on the starch busy... I really don't feel like running numbers right now, especially on arbitrary amounts of pasta that I'd rather just eat, but it would require a lot of salt. As I pointed out, enough to alter every surface molecule of every noodle. The temperature and time this would take would also probably turn your pasta and water into goop.

Not all of them. It depends on the conditions, but some amount of salt will tend to stay salt, especially past saturation levels (which you'd need to be at to ensure there's enough ions to mangle your pasta before it boils into oblivion)

Cooking pasta in water is what causes it to stick. It gelatinizes, and these gelatinized surfaces have an affinity for each other/themselves. The best way to keep it from sticking is to keep it moving, or limit the amount of contact time between starchy surfaces. Basically boil, drain quickly and stir into sauce. Obviously overcooking allows more thorough hydration and gelatinization, but some has to happen regardless, or you still have hard noodles.

etc
Salt increases the boiling point of water, which makes it boil hotter. It takes longer to boil. The same argument applies here though, you would need to make your meal inedible in order to cause a significant change in boiling point for your pasta water.

i'm gonna use my trip to call you out on your faggotry here m8, salt LOWERS THE BOILING TEMP OF WATER it doesn't magically make pasta not stick together.

>what are ionic and covalent bonds

American education everyone

>mfw this thread

Hopefully you never graduate whatever clown school you go to OP

t. Chem eng major

>uses trip
>posts wrong shit
What a surprise. Salt increases the boiling temp. not lowers it.