Tea General

We haven't had a good formal tea thread in a while.

General Pastebin: pastebin.com/SWNA0rLX

What are you drinking today, Veeky Forums?

I had some leftover "raspberry zinger" tea bags that I took from a school event so I'm just using those up. Nothin' too fancy

Homemade sweet tea.

What oolong should I get off amazon? Or puehr.

So, I've been trying some Chinese green teas that are apparently very famous. Unfortunately, my experience with them was that they were kind of lackluster. I don't know if the quality of the tea is GREAT, but I didn't really think they were all that much. (In particular Maofeng, Bi Luo Chun, and Long Jing). To me there wasn't a hugely discernable flavor between them all.

I was thinking maybe it's the fact that I'm using tap water to brew this. I live in Colorado, so I wouldn't say that the water up here is disgusting by any stretch. It's very mountain-springy which is nice. I also have trouble believing that chinks over the years had access to super pure water.

Anyways, I don't really want to go out and just get a water filter for this. But I was thinking of picking up some filtered water of some sort to test the rest of these samples. Any suggestions for what kind of water to use and boil?

tl;dr what kind of water should I buy for more delicate green teas?

Today was peppermint and lime

Japanese teas > Chinese teas

Im sure the quality of the tea has more to do with it, where did you get it from?

I bought it from that >Aliexpress store everyone always talked about.

So I guess that might have something to do with it. Which I can honestly believe, since I know green tea can be a sensitive kind of tea. All of the black and oolong teas I've had have been pretty good though

w2c some tea online, that ships worldwide?
non amerifat btw

Where do people prefer to order from? Canada here, going through the pastebin and other sites looking for a good sencha. Doesn't have to be the best in the world as long as it's affordable and decent quality. I'd love to try that ippodo site but the shipping is like 30$...

shoo shoo weeb

thank god. the last britbong thread triggered my autism

>drinking a meme

sleepytime tea is my favorite when I'm about to go to bed

But we're not drinking water

Are the Celestial Seasonings teas any good? I've been really interested in trying the zingers or possibly their sleepytime tea but I'm unsure if it's just a meme brand or not.

>Canada

Wander around downtown until you spot Asians, there's probably a proper tea store around there somewhere.

I buy my tea from a shop run by a kindly Flip lady and her family.

I'm keeping a pu'er brick wrapped in the paper wrapping and then just in a brown paper bag on a shelf in the kitchen. This should be ok even if the house is pretty humid, right?

I get mine from a Chinese woman who runs a shop out of the front room of her home in the same kind of inner city area that you get dentists and accountants offices in repurposed houses.

I'm sure the sleepytime is alright but I don't know if I'd call it worthwhile over just regular sleepytime

Recommended electric water boiler that shows water temp?

Fresh cops.

Fujian Zhangping Light Roasted Shui Xian Fruit Cake Oolong

It was a free sample. Interesting taste. I'm not the biggest fan of the greeny oolongs but it's was alright.

Now I just need my teaware to come in.

I'd bet money the tap water in most of CO is fine for making good tea. Chances are your tea is not great quality.

Best tea store I've ever been to is Ming Tau Xuan in Montreal. Great experience, decor, and super good tea. Nice tea wear too, but everything costs a good $ of course.

gween tea

Alright, I'll take your word for it user. Appreciate it!

>drinking cawfee

plebs amirite

tfw my giant black tea order has been stuck in China for a month. It's starting to feel like spring and I'll want to drink green tea.

Years after watching Saiunkoku Monogatari I finally got my hands on some gan lu, and it does not disappoint.

Don't give up user black tea is nice at night.

My pu er calls to be rinsed with hot water. Why? Will it kill me if I don't do it?

Chinese teas are traditionally "rinsed" by steeping them for ~twenty seconds, then pouring the water out and adding fresh water for the actual steeping.

The reasons for this vary: it slightly reduces caffeine and tannins, it can 'awaken' tightly furled leaves by letting them open up, and it might actually rinse away dirt if it's a dirty sort of tea.

Some kinds of puerh are indeed kind of dirty from fermented in a great soggy pile, and may or may not benefit from being rinsed.

It almost certainly won't kill you if you don't rinse it.
That said, if there's anything in your tea that could kill you, rinsing won't help.

Was given a free box of this and am making a half gallon of cold brewed right now. It smells really nice but I'm unsure since Lipton isn't exactly known for quality.

20 seconds is too long unless it's heavily compressed tea

>it slightly reduces caffeine and tannins
false, 20 sec isn't enough to significantly decrease caffeine

My advice to people is to not make a rule of it, rinse and taste it to see where you're at, if it's cloudy or flavorless dispose of it if it's fine drink it

I did not expect such an amazing answer. Thanks a lot.
wouldaskagain/10

If you're drinking a good puerh that will go 15-20 steeps then its no loss doing a quick rinse. Its also part of bringing your teaware up to temp, so the first drinking steep doesnt get all the hat drained from it by cold cups and bowls.
Also, what's your teapet going to drink?