Classical French and Chinese cuisines are the basic arbiters of an educated plate

Classical French and Chinese cuisines are the basic arbiters of an educated plate.

Prove me wrong.

Other urls found in this thread:

washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/08/21/AR2009082101686.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>french cooking
>butter eggs and cheese

no thanks. Italian, Spanish and Mexican have far, far surpassed French cooking and its reactionary mentality.

Agreed.
Not going to argue about Chinese cuisine though. That shit is tasty.

Have you ever had real Chinese cuisine in your life?

I think italian has more nuance to it, the french are overly pretentious

But I am biased because I lived in Paris for 4 months and have concluded that the French are unseemly and should be regarded as an enemy of society

actual Chinese food in China tastes VERY different but I do agree that they put lots of attention into their food.

>no thanks. Italian, Spanish and Mexican have far, far surpassed French cooking and its reactionary mentality.
Explanation please. Culinary noob here.

Without actually going to France and experiencing the disappointment for yourself, this article explains its better than I can.

washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/08/21/AR2009082101686.html

Suffice to say. While Spain has been the innovation capital of world cuisine, Mexico has been spreading its flavours from USA to Japan, and Italy has been at the forefront of the slow-food movement that evolved into the localvore and locally sourced movement, France has withered.

what's traditional chinese cuisine like?

>french are unseemly

True. Their arrogance and close minded pretentiousness is just barely matched by amerilards.

>trusting an article from Fake News Town

Dog and cat cooked in gutter oil.

so you just pretended to be a "Culinary noob" so you could shitpost a trump meme?

>implying I'm that user
Why would you assume this?

Depends on what you mean by "traditional".
Real - and I mean REAL - traditional chinese food is lost to the ages. Everything from the spices to the pigs have changed. Some hallmarks such as sichuan pepper remain, but it'll be a challenge and a half to find a traditional fish beyond "carp". That said, this kind of food was mostly bland anyways (the recent translation of suiyuan shidan gives us some insight into precisely how archaic their approach to spices are)

Now, traditional chinese food - as in, the kind that exploded unto the scene upon the fall of the ming dynasty, there's a lot of good stuff in there. If I had to elect a representative of this category, it'd probably be imperial/kyoto porkchops (inspired when a japanese chef visited China during the late qing dynasty)
Then there's post-revolution/WW2 chinese food. It's an ongoing category, but the most notable part is probably "going back to street food". Yes you still have the traditional steamers of tiny buns, but now there's lamb skewers and the like.

"Chinese" is dozens of regional varieties. Try again.

Vietnamese > Japanese > Thai >> Chinese by the way.

Way to contradict yourself there, buddy.

virgin boy eggs

>contradict
Where? Do you understand what the greater-than sign means? Or are you math-illiterate as well as just plain old illiterate-illiterate?

"dozens of regional varieties" that somehow all end up using soy sauce.
Face it, a fish cooked in beijing mostly tastes like southerner food while hongkong's pork scene is entirely borrowed. It's much more practical to group them into one cuisine rather than arguing that there's somehow value in the clay-pot dishes of guangzhou.

>says Chinese is dozens of regional varieties
>implying that you can't classify all Chinese cuisine under a huge, broad moniker like "Chinese"
>proceeds to use that moniker anyways
>labels the entire cuisines of several more cultures with broad terms

All of Asia uses soy sauce. You might as well say that every Eurapeon cuisine is identical because they all use salt.

They're saying that those cuisines are solidly better than all regional varieties of Chinese food.

> Mexican

All chinese cuisine uses salt as well.
And yes to a degree you can group japanese and chinese food together, however then you notice that japanese soy sauce selections are drastically different from chinese soy sauce selections. Thai food is also notable in its lack of soy sauce, having gone with a more spice focused approach. Korean food happens to use soy sauce, but identifying korean food is difficult as a lot of food items are post-occupational - whether that occupation is american or japanese, and the two distinctly korean dishes - kimchi and cold noodles - contain no soy sauce at all.

Meanwhile, the food of guanzhou, beijing, sichuan and jiangsu all use soy sauce extensively, to the point where even ducks are soy sauced across multiple regions, where they can be summed as "fresh soy, thick soy, hot soy and watered down soy", with other "regional variations" including "sour soy" and "sweet soy". Another distinction to make is that where as there exist many soy sauces in china, most of them have the exact same flavour profile, where as soy products from japan have much wilder swings in taste.

>Chinese
Lol, maybe if you're a dog.

Gutter oil is a primary ingredient.

>chinese food
>educated palate
chinese food is just sesame oil, garlic, pork and onions deep fried in everything

>no soy sauce
THIS MEANS WAR.

>Chinese
lol no
tastes have shifted; people today prefer more vibrant and stronger tastes as opposed to subtle and less assertive flavors. French and a lot of old world cuisines have fallen out of favor for Spanish, Mexican, and Italian (southern italian, northern still retains a lot of old world flavors) as well as chinese and other asian foods. Note how people love coke and sugary crap, prefer cocktails and mixed drinks, and eat fast food/takeout.

>Mexican
Nice try shit skin but Europe reigns supreme.

>people today prefer more vibrant and stronger tastes as opposed to subtle and less assertive flavors
Except avocados do nothing but to dampen a taste, tomatoes have always been on the milder side of things, the most popular form of beef noodles in china is now mostly served without beef on top, and indian food remains relatively unpopular despite its almost schizophrenic use of ghee and spices.

I know which book you got this from :^)

And if you are talking about techniques and not flavour then I agree. All these cucks here "rating" based on the flavour of what thier favourite fast food is when it's clearly subjective.

more like who the fuck cares

>Classical French
>educated plate
This is pretty classic in the West because the French defined fine dining and wine pairings. You can't just write that off.

could you tell the name of the book? i swear that i've read that exact statement being quoted in a chinese cookbook of mine without a source given, unfortunately