Waffle vs Pancake vs French Toast

Waffle vs Pancake vs French Toast

I could happily go the rest of my life without eating any of those foods.

That sounds very joyless.

French toast is the best, then waffle, then crepe, then pancake.

I don't find joy in sweetened breakfast starch.

I'm so fucking sick of you French toast-loving faggots, you people are sub-human and deserve to have your vocal chords surgically removed so no one ever has to hear your shitty opinions on food ever again.

Meet me at Croft Road bus stop in Three Holes tomorrow after work and I'll show you precisely what I think about French toast, cunt.

Crepes sound so good. Know a good place to get some in the US?

I'll be the guy staring at his phone, you better punch me as soon as you see me, because if I see you first YOU'RE FUCKING DEAD

Waffle, but only the waffles that I grew up with as a kid. Never had a waffle that compared. Most waffles suck anyway. Usually too soggy or too crispy.

A good pancake is better than good French toast, but French toast is most consistent.

Waffles and pancakes are just fine and dandy (personally I prefer a good pancake) but french toast is just
>oghghghghg im gonna dip my white bread texas toast in eggs and put powdered sugar and syrup on it maybe ill drink a gravy boat full of bacon grease as a chaser

How did this obviously American dish get named after France, whose practical joke was this

The basic recipes aren't sweet, though.

They're almost always presented that way though.

egg nog french toast for christmas breakfast

waffles for jelly and ease (even freeze homemade)

pancakes for ihop/dennys

yes how totally un-french to dip stale brioche in milk and eggs and then fry it in butter.

Retard.

Waffles are just shitty pancakes with holes in them. French toast is a meme.

>Waffles are just shitty pancakes with holes in them.
Only american waffles. European waffles are basically doughnuts cooked in an iron instead of deep fried.

>in Three Holes tomorrow
Oi mate! Would that be Tom, Dick, and your own?
You sayin your Greek toast > French toast?
Fuck off. Poofster.

Crepes > Waffle = Pancake >= French Toast

Depends on the area. A lot of crepe places make smooth, semi-crispy crepes that you can roll into a sort of ice cream cone for fillings, but I prefer homemade. IHOP is an approximate replication of the style, but drastically overpriced considering that it's a very basic recipe.

My grandma's loose idea of a crepe "recipe" is a cup of flour, an egg, a dollop of sour cream, and to whisk in some undefined amount of milk until it's batter. Just gotta eyeball that - not too thin, but it needs to be able to flow fast enough to .

Get a measuring cup that will hold just enough batter to cover the bottom of the pan for doling it out. Swirl the batter around until it evenly fills the base - obviously the preferred shape is a perfect circle, but if you fuck up you still get nice crispy bits that stick out on the sides. Win-win.

Only flip the crepe when the upward-facing side is matte, without any wet patches. I definitely recommend a non-stick pan because flipping such a floppy, flimsy thing without tearing it is problematic enough. Swirl a tiny dab of butter in the pan between crepes so you get a nice browning on one side.

Good fillings: raspberry/strawberry preserves, or take a previously cooked beef roast (good use for leftovers) and grind it with chunks of onion. Salt and pepper the mix, then fold up a heaping tablespoon of it in a crepe. Toss it back in the pan for a few minutes to heat/brown it further. That's my absolute favorite grandma recipe.

The idea is that the French have too much bread around, so when it starts going stale they have to do something with it so it doesn't go to waste, like dunking it in eggs. It's the same principle as French onion soup and the entire concept of a crouton.

Pardon, *fast enough to fill the pan before it's really started cooking.

Crepes are just egg flour and milk. They don't taste special. They're a vehicle for other things. Pretty much every culture 'invented' their own version of what we call the crepe because it's literally the most basic version of one of the most basic dishes (the pancake).

i like frechy toasty :3

The texture of a crepe is really what sells it for me. Thin and dense and moist is a great combination. I'd eat them plain when I was a kid and we had a stack left over from breakfast.

Yeah I'm not saying crepes are good on their own, since obviously they are composed of flour, egg, and milk, which are all good tasting things. I just think it's funny that user seemed to see them as exotic or something.

*aren't good on their own.

They're a little harder to make than a regular pancake and not super common in the US, but you're right, the recipe's extremely accessible to make pretty much anywhere.

french toast

also peanut butter and maple syrup is the way to go

Fact.

These are examples of foods that are only good if someone else makes them for you

I want to make some nice thick chocolate chip pancakes for that cute anime girl

I've never had french toast but i'd have to say waffles because the crunchy texture beats floppy pancakes.

Satania is the devil's gift to earth

waffles > french toast > pancakes

Best breakfast on Earth coming through.

French toast is easily superior, and instead of just saying that, I'm going to say WHY.

The haters simply dont know how to do it correctly. Pancakes and waffles are incredibly cheap, and very simple/fast to make. French toast is considerably more expensive, time consuming, and also requires careful ingredient selection and refined technique. Which makes it very prone to novice faggots getting terrible results. If you dislike French toast, then you dont know how to make it correctly. Do it right and it far exceeds pancakes and waffles.

>French toast is considerably more expensive, time consuming, and also requires careful ingredient selection and refined technique.
What?
Mix together milk and eggs in a bowl, dunk stale bread into it and soak until saturated, place in hot pan. Obviously you could get needlessly pretentious with it just as you could pancakes or waffles, but that means nothing for the basic identity of the dish.
All three are fast, cheap, simple-as-can-be dishes that originate as utilitarian working-people's food and use more or less the same ingredients, which is why the comparison is so often made.

Thanks for demonstrating my point exactly. YOU ARENT MAKING IT CORRECTLY, AND THATS WHY YOUR FRENCH TOAST SUCKS!

Since you're a huge expert, answer this little quiz:

1.) Which bread do you use, and how thick do you slice it? Is it stale or dried, if so, how stale?
2.) What ratio of eggs:milk is correct? Or should you use water, half & half, cream, or pure egg?
3.) What else do you add to the custard? Seasonings, flavorings, other additives?
4.) How do you fry it? What fat do you use, how much of it, and the temperature and time? What pan have you chosen?
5.) How long do your slices finish in a hot oven, and for how long?

There you go. Five multi-part questions for you to answer. Lets see how good your technique is, chef.

>tfw golden malt batter

are you having a seizure?

If they're all top tier, waffles. I've had and made some killer french toast, made crepes and pancakes that have made women soak their panties, but a well made waffle, maximizing the crisp awesomeness to fluffy goodness ratio while providing topping holsters? Truly evidence of a kind and loving god.

Then why are you on a cooking board?

I love all three equally.

Perhaps he finds joys in other types of food?

I'd hope so.

Sweetened breakfast starch is one of the most joyous culinary expressions. I wonder if he finds evidence of God in arugula.

An Eggo is literally the perfect waffle

Nah, they're much too thin. And a re-heated frozen piece of crap will never have the nice texture you get from a freshly made waffle cooked in a waffle iron.

man...

why'd you have to go and do that?

Now I want to make you a real waffle.

I find god in smoked fish.

As long as he doesn't talk to you.

The second your meal speaks, you need to send it back... or spark up another Marley.

Goin' to Cheek's Chicken and Waffles later. Waffles win.

Lol except that number one question, its the same for all three, yah do realize that yeah??

it's just food...no need to have a mental breakdown.

Its called good cooking, vs. bad cooking.

This board really is McChicken and Doritos. Why should we discuss something absurd, like how to make French toast taste better?

sweet french toast has existed since ancient roman times

obviously they weren't doing cream cheese stuffed french toast with sugar in the egg mixture and topping it off with powdered sugar and butterscotch, but they were putting honey french toast

French Toast>Pancakes>>>Waffles
Never had Crepes before.

Waffle
>best of the bunch. Very versatile, nice contrasting texture (crunchy outside fluffy inside), classic breakfast or dessert
French toast
>also a classic, very good on occasion, but not as convenient or tasty as waffle in most cases.
Pancake
>hangover tier food. very lazy. Something to eat when you need a quick sweet snack. pretty versatile though. crepes are a much better option if you go this route, and may even be superior to waffle, but american/canadian style flapjacks are for lazy plebs and diners

>like how to make French toast taste better?
I'm not poor or stupid so I make waffles instead.

Nice dubs, but crepes are for faggots. French toast is borderline.

>can't tell if baiting or completely retarded and OBSESSED

They're all memes.

Crepes are pancakes.

>grew up eating my mom's pancakes
>they were so good, never had any other pancakes that tasted anything like them
>turns out she only ever made pancakes when the buttermilk was long expired and should have been thrown out

Spoiled buttermilk makes delicious pancakes. It has sort of a savoriness you wouldn't expect that works really well. Makes for pancakes that taste best on their own without any sort of sweet topping

I'll fucking clean your clock, you faggot.

More like clean his cock you fags will end up at a hotel for a little Netflix and chill

Fine.

Pancakes and waffles are a trick by the restaurant industry to get people to pay for pennies worth of ingredients, wow you're eating white flour! Super high markup item, its no more than 10 cents to make a stack of pancakes or a big waffle. Its also minimal labor, skill, and equipment. Simple liquid flour slurry hits hot surface and done. Impressive? Not really.
French toast on the other hand takes good quality bread, which in itself is much more expensive than flour. Then into a custard of eggs and half and half, flavored with cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla and brown sugar. So you are getting protein, dairy and flavoring in the product itself. Then its carefully fried, because soaked bread slices are delicate, and should be finished in the oven. The end product is NOT in the same league as pancakes and waffles. Stop making this shitty comparison, its senseless and unfair.

>ywn be this bitter and paranoid

I like how you're comparing shit-tier waffles/pancakes with very carefully made french toast.

Anywhere that's serving shitty waffles or panckes isn't going to be using fancy bread or oven-finishing their "french toast". They're going to take shitty white bread, dip it in beaten egg, and cook it on the griddle.

Any place that is going to use the same sort of care you ascribe to French Toast is going to apply that same degree of care to their waffles and pancakes.

How exactly do you make top quality pancakes or waffles? There is no art involved, its flour, water or milk, egg, butter, salt, sugar, baking powder. You cant really step up the game short of adding fruit or chocolate, which is more of a topping anyway.
Its still just eating 90% bulk white flour. I dont see this as good food, French toast is simply in a different class. Nobody should be making it with shit bread or watered down eggs, or failing to cook it to completion. Do each item correctly and compare. You cant do two of them correctly and one of them incorrectly and call it fair.

>Nobody should be making it with shit bread or watered down eggs, or failing to cook it to completion

Yet many, if not most, places make those exact mistakes. I've traveled extensively on business in the US and abroad. I've ordered french toast more times than I can possibly count. The overwhelming majority of the time--even at expensive hotels--it's plain bread dipped in beaten egg and cooked either on a griddle or in a frying pan. Sure, it can be done better. And it's great when it is. But that degree of care is atypical.

>>You cant do two of them correctly and one of them incorrectly and call it fair.

That's my point. You are talking about a high degree of care on French toast that almost nobody bothers to do, and then proceed to talk about commodity-grade waffles.

If waffles are Belgian, toast is French, what are flapjacks?

you just described the two same exact things

Get fucked french toast is goat

You can play with the batter... I add malt extract and a bit of yeast, and essentially make a sour dough which helps with the lumps, flavour and texture. The ratio of ingredients, temperature, cooking time. It all comes into play. Quality ingredients and procedures yield quality results.

If any of these things were off in the making of the bread for the french toast, it would be terrible too, but even then, custard is a great way to save stale bread.

In the end, it's all very similar, and the majority of people, Veeky Forums included, probably just drown the shit in butter and table syrup anyway.

>Three Holes
What savage nation houses this location

Pancakes and waffles are the same white flour slurry, just one is caulk-gun squirted onto a griddle and the other one is injection molded.
French toast is completely different, I really dont understand how they are comparable.
If pancakes an waffles can step up their game, then fine, they can be compared. Put in whatever special weapon you have to make it taste better, and then lets do a tasting. I'm still confident French toast can blow you away, its just a more complex item with better ingredients that has vastly better potential.

I'm fucking sorry but I grew up with pankakes, fuck off pussies.

I'm fucking sorry, your parents fed you fried white flour.

For me, it's the bacon egg and cheese.