Anyone use MSG?

Anyone use MSG?

My local supermarket started carrying it and I'm thinking of trying it out. How do you even use it? Just add a bit to the marinade for the meat?

It's best used for beef and pork right?

Other urls found in this thread:

fda.gov/Food/IngredientsPackagingLabeling/FoodAdditivesIngredients/ucm328728.htm
health.howstuffworks.com/wellness/food-nutrition/facts/the-dangers-of-monosodium-glutamate.htm
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16999713
dash.harvard.edu/bitstream/handle/1/8846733/Sing05.pdf?sequence=1
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9215242
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3785512
toxnet.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/sis/search2/r?dbs hsdb:@term @rn 142-47-2
health.howstuffworks.com/wellness/food-nutrition/facts/the-dangers-of-monosodium-glutamate1.htm
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saline_(medicine)
theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2005/jul/10/foodanddrink.features3
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

What is it like knowing you eat chemicals?

>chemicals
Most foods are.

You can get it dirt cheap at any asian store. I use it sometimes, but it's way overrated. Sprinkle lightly. I found it works decently on pizza.

All foods are. All physical matter is made of these so-called "chemicals".
MSG is best on meats, definitely pork and chicken. Go ahead and buy it to experiment, that bag pictured is probably only $3 and a better value than the Accent branded version which is the same thing with a higher price.

Don't overdo it, shit can give you killer headaches.

MSG helps lazy and cheap cooks cut corners, as it enhances the flavor of other ingredients. It has no flavor of its own. Like this user said: , it's cheap poison and I'd rather prepare food the correct way with quality ingredients.

Why don't you get your rolling pin out of your ass there chief

Not an argument.

>the sodium salt of an amino acid is poison

Yes. Sodium is poisonous, especially concentrated forms like MSG.

An equivalent amount of table salt is more likely to cause headaches.

Sodium is a volatile metal and is extremely poisonous, user.

>mfw eating chemicals every day
>mfw wearing chemicals on my body, all parts of me touching chemicals
>mfw walking on a nature trail surrounded by chemicals
>mfw breathing in chemicals
>mfw blowing a steamy load of chemicals over ur mums chin
>mfw my keyboard is chemicals
>mfw I am chemicals

>he fell for the "MSG is dangerous" meme

how does it feel to know the position you've taken is so retarded that it's literally based only on one guy writing one article in the NEJM back in 1968 which vaguely described symptoms he got after eating at a Chinese food place this one time, which could have been attributed to just about anything

no credible/empirically valid double-blind study has ever EVER established a causal link between msg and whatever you think it is responsible for

Hydrogen and oxygen are both extremely flammable gases, which is why I cut water out of my diet.

>yessss whye man, food safe here, we no have peegeen instead of dukk.

I said it's cheap synthetic flavor. It's used by lazy/cheap cooks. Gooks and slants are more frugal than Jews. Especially restaurants.

>flammable and poisonous are the same concept.

>missing the point entirely
>being this new

Diamonds are the hardest metal, most toxic too.

use it where applicable
If you're not adding anything that adds much glutamic acid it's a cheap and easy way to. Add more umami through better selection of your recipe and ingredients.

>glutamic acid
>umami

Talk like a normal person you manbun having cunt

I understand the headache and rapid heartbeat thing. I've felt these effects before after using way too much. And some people are especially sensitive. Some people can also taste the presence of obvious MSG and its an unpleasant "fake" taste they do not like. That's just personal preference in taste and that's fine, I wouldn't force MSG on your guests, especially if they have spoken out against it. But fuck them, I mostly cook for myself, and I use it often.
Now with that said, it certainly isn't toxic, and I quite love the taste when its used in the right place at the right time. The thing that's a lot harder to nail down is the quantity, and in what situations does it provide benefits. I've used it regularly for years, and I'm still unsure about how much to use. I hate those plastic bags as in OP's picture, because I usually just clip the corner off and use it to pour from, and that often allows a large unmeasured quantity to dump in. I have yet to see good guidelines about how much to use, since very few recipes posted will admit to using it. You really are on your own here.

So if you're too pretentious to eat chemicals, what do you eat instead? Photons?

No, I just think it's the lazy man's shortcut to good umami. I wont deny it works well under the right cases but some fools still use it blindly in every case as an "automatic flavor enhancer"

Diamonds are hard but less dense than you, user.

>Talk like a normal person
>manbun having cunt

that's not all you said, buddy

since it's still unclear which of the two people I quoted you are, let's run through both possible scenarios

Option 1 -- you're the guy who invoked the "muh chemicals" boogeyman, accompanied by a skull and crossbones

Option 2 -- you're the guy who quoted the guy from Option 1 and explicitly agreed with what he was implying:

>Like this user said: , it's cheap poison

Which one are you, and when should I expect the triumphant revelation that you were merely feigning gross ignorance?

>25 posts
>10 IPs
>half the replies in this thread are one guy using mental gymnastics to prove MSG is bad

This. MSG certainly isn't toxic or dangerous, it's simply that there are many sources of the umami taste which are a lot more flavorful than using straight MSG.

Examples: miso, tienmenjiang, doubanjiang, worcestershire, fish sauce, shrimp paste, hard aged cheeses like parmagiano-reggiano, marmite/vegemite, dark stocks, soy sauce, etc...

Why use MSG when you can use one of those that tastes a lot better?

I use it all the time, sprinkling MSG on roasted vegetables is a whole new level of flavortown

>Why use MSG when you can use one of those that tastes a lot better?
Because this board is fucking infested by weebs.
Fuck know what the attraction is, it's food and cooking not animu and CP.

>Why use MSG when you can use one of those that tastes a lot better?
It makes food more savory without altering the flavor profile or adding more calories.

Use only a tiny bit at a time
A 1 lb bag will last me almost 8 months usually and I use a little sprinkle most days
It really brings out savory, meaty flavors. Don't use too much though because then it tastes weird.
I usually do like 80% salt +20% msg when I intend to use it, which is mostly for the chinese and japanese style foods I cook

>Salt helps lazy and cheap cooks cut corners, as it enhances the flavor of other ingredients.

That's like asking why I don't use things like soy sauce, anchovy paste, sea water, and bacon in place of salt

>mfw I tried to explain this to my mom dozens of times
>mfw I even showed her article after article debunking the myth of "lel msg is bad for you", showing her where the myth came from, and why it's horseshit, and how there is no evidence at all that it's bad for you
>mfw immediately after she was like "hmm i didn't know that"
>mfw next time we were going to make some chinese style food she overlooked so many sauces/ingredients because "muh msg"
Why do people do this, cu/ck/s?

senpai you're mixing up dragon force with diamonds

Exactly. and it's a very valid question.

Wait so it doesn't tenderize the meat? That's what I'd been told and the primary reason I wanted to use it. I want that really soft texture that Chinese restaurants have with their beef

that for sure is not the primary purpose. As far as i know MSG holds no tenderizing properties, but I might be wrong. It's entirely a flavor enhancer, like salt, but which seems to trigger the protein receptors in the tongue.

Wow, guess it's just a wives tale or something then

I believe the secret is thin beef, a dusting of corn starch and fast cooking at high heat.

fda.gov/Food/IngredientsPackagingLabeling/FoodAdditivesIngredients/ucm328728.htm

Read this and then judge. Its fucking extracted from veggies. Do you know how long asian people is eating this stuff? more than 50 years. thats for sure. Do you see any article people dying from it? Fuck no.We eat this shit regularly you just don't know. Sometimes MSG can be hidden as a E number. Its just a stupid flavor enhancer, that makes you thirsty. that's all. Every Ramen/japanese joint and dim sum restaurant is using it.

really, the thin and fast part is the most important

MSG is the salt of umami. It came from asians instead of white people so it is looked down on but white people.

It's pretty great tho.

Not arguing with the retards in this thread, here are facts that are overwhelmingly accepted by reputable scientific organizations (ie; not nautral news)
>There are five tastes, this triggers the "savory" one
>It's not any less healthy than salt
>"Headaches" and so on have been proven to be complete bullshit
>It's not any more "cheating" than salt is
>Yelling "chemicals" just proves you have no business in any sort of rational discussion/argument

>here are facts
>not one citation in entire thread

health.howstuffworks.com/wellness/food-nutrition/facts/the-dangers-of-monosodium-glutamate.htm

If I eat MSG I get headaches.
Fact.
Get fucked weeaboo.

you also get headaches from sucking cock but that hasn't stopped you

>howstuffworks.com

>howstuffworks
>reputable scientific organization
Good one
>I don't know what causation is

even worse, that article is written by "the editors of PureHealthMD" which is notoriously bad.
Further the citations are misleading and counterevidence is not given.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16999713
dash.harvard.edu/bitstream/handle/1/8846733/Sing05.pdf?sequence=1

Educate yourself. MSG is fine.

Yeah it cites a double-blind study by Yang as negative for MSG:

>In fact, a double blind study (where both researchers and test subjects were not aware who was getting a real test or a fake test) found that MSG exposure caused muscle tightness, fatigue, numbness or tingling, and flushing [Source: Yang].

But when we go to the actual study:

>Sixty-one subjects entered the study. On initial challenge, 18 (29.5%) responded to neither MSG nor placebo, 6 (9.8%) to both, 15 (24.6%) to placebo, and 22 (36.1%) to MSG (p = 0.324). Total and average severity of symptoms after ingestion of MSG (374 and 80) were greater than respective values after placebo ingestion (232 and 56; p = 0.026 and 0.018, respectively). Rechallenge revealed an apparent threshold dose for reactivity of 2.5 gm MSG. Headache (p < 0.023), muscle tightness (p < 0.004), numbness/tingling (p < 0.007), general weakness (p < 0.040), and flushing (p < 0.016) occurred more frequently after MSG than placebo ingestion.
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9215242

>small sample size
>placebo is almost the same as MSG

This also explains an awful lot...disgusting.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3785512

See
No u

>mice

I guess we should stop watching chocolate since it kills dogs, right? lmao @ your life

eating chocolate* kek

>inject mice with high doses of MSG
>same thing as humans eating MSG
How do you even manage to breathe without fucking that up

>MSG doesn't cause fat manbaby syndrome in humans
>90% of the posts are about ananas, mcchickens, tendies and mummies cummies

This board alone proves this study true. Shining example factually speaking.

>mcdonalds has msg
kek

If you actually believe anything you typed, I strongly urge you to get your head professionally examined or move to Florida

toxnet.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/sis/search2/r?dbs hsdb:@term @rn 142-47-2

>human studies failed to confirm an involvement of MSG in "Chinese Restaurant Syndrome" or other idiosyncratic intolerance

>toxicity studies using dietary administration of MSG in several species did not reveal any specific toxic or carcinogenic effects nor were there any adverse outcomes in reproduction and teratology studies

>results indicate that monosodium glutamate provoked flushing, if it exists at all, must be rare

(ThePost):

>DONT INSULT MY MCCHICKEN

Dig yourselves deeper manbabies.

here add this to your collection

Struck a nerve with the balding, lazy manbaby demographic.

>Major features of the MSG syndrome including hypophagia, obesity, hypoactivity, reduced pituitary protein content, decreased ovarian weight, delayed puberty and elevated plasma corticosterone levels were obtained at the highest dose

>concentrated forms
MSG contains less sodium than the equivalent amount of table salt.

>can't prove that MSG is bad
>tries to derail the thread
Nice pivot.

it's a pity that the Lorden study you quote is thirty years old, holds some unrepeatable data and has been falsified by more recent research.

NO U MANBABY
REEEEEEEEEEE

Proven science derailed it, now you manbabies are scrambling and it's funny to ser you frenzied. You've been injured by this chemical yet stil defend it. My wifes sister is a disgusting junkie too. Here's a pic from when we told her to rehab and leave her kids in foster care or we'd kick them all out into the snowy winter night.

Your day is coming soon too...

>WAHHHH STOP PROVING ME WRONG WITH FACTS LEAVE ME ALONE WITH MY DORITOS AND HOTPOCKETS REEEEE!!!

Pathetic drug addicts.

Hasn't been debunked, just ignored to keep you fat manbabies impotent, lazy and eating your poison... cite it.

Do you have a more recent study than the flawed Lorden study?

No you fucking don't.
So sit down, shut up and let us adults talk.

Only good salt is true salt, naturally taken from the sea or mined. Sodium Chloride is also responsible for MANY negative illnesses, most notably Americas explosive obesity rate and culture spreading across the planet.

some people eat cilantro and taste soap

that's not a problem with cilantro

it's a problem with them

just accept that you're damaged and move on

>"True" salt
>Not sodium chloride
user, I...

>hurrr we adults damnit we'z not manbabies REEEEEE

Pick a citation, and read it.

health.howstuffworks.com/wellness/food-nutrition/facts/the-dangers-of-monosodium-glutamate1.htm

I've yet to see you post anything other than shill citations. Remember when the Chinese government got caught using Melamine to trick protein tests in 2008 and literally executed their coconspirators so they wouldn't get lynched? I do...

Sodium chloride is synthetic salt. It's detrimental to anything eating it. There's a reason they use it to thaw frozen roads. The fact it strips paint off your car or damages pavement beyond repair shouldn't be concerning, not in the sightest...

>post fear-mongering bullshit that misrepresents its citations
>shits on actual reputable sources
Honestly will you just kill yourself

>FACTS THAT SCARE ME AREN'T REAL FACTS, LALALALALALA

Drumpftard confirmed.

Not giving that dumbass a (you), all salt is sodium chloride and is safe to the point that it sometimes gets injected straight into your body
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saline_(medicine)

All salt is sodium chloride, even sea salt.

I remember when trolling was clever and can cause divisiveness through benefit of the doubt. But this post is plain awful.

>howstuffworks.com

None of the cited studies truly support the argument of the article.

Metcalfe proves that there are probably MSG allergies. Big woop. Hold the fucking phone.

Izikson isn't even about MSG. This is classic misrepresented citation.

Gladstein's article is about headaches, and is an interesting study on headaches, their causes and their treatment. MSG is only mentioned once in the section about future research.

The Simon article proves that MSG can exacerbate urticaria, this is good science. BUT IN LESS THAN 3% OF PEOPLE WITH CHRONIC URTICARIA. That's a very small percentage of the population.

The Fernstrom article is about how endocrinology changes after extremely high doses of MSG. The only thing it proves is that blood serum levels of MSG rise after having huge doses. It doesn't prove that this rising blood serum level is bad, and it doesn't prove that MSG gives you headaches or whatever you're trying to prove.

>manbaby drumpftard reeeeeee

>chemicals

Sodium chloride, potassium chloride, citric acid, alpha tocopherol, hydrogen, oxygen...

Salt and sodium are not the same thing.
"Salt" is the term commonly used for sodium chloride (NaCl) which is table salt. Sodium chloride is just 40% sodium and 60% chloride. One teaspoon of table salt contains 2,325 mg of sodium.
It's important to note that in addition to sodium chloride, sodium shows up in food in other forms including monosodium glutamate (MSG), sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) and sodium nitrate (a preservative).

Fat manbaby retards are swan diving off the overpass into oncoming traffic, it's funny how stupid you are.

>i don't know ANYTHING about food or cooking
>im going to post their anyway

Thanks for your input.

If you are susceptible to migraine, you can handle a lot more salt than you can MSG.

It's all published scientific fact that hasn't been debunked. The source of the facts doesn't invalidate them. Stop crying.

All salt is sodium chloride.

Table salt, or pure sodium chloride is is the worst, chemically tasting stuff you can ever put in food.
Unless you're living on welfare there is absolutely no reason to use table salt.

Sodium and chloride are 2 different highly toxic chemicals when mixed together become "inert" and "safe" It's not true salt. That comes from the land and sea.

>assuming one's political affiliation based on a discussion about MSG

Sodium is found in many foods naturally and is an essential mineral for our body. We would die without sodium.

Sea salt is sodium chloride.

You're not denying it, most people that voted for him are fat retarded flyover trash. Shucks, you've been exposed manbaby. Boohoo.

theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2005/jul/10/foodanddrink.features3
MSG is fine to consume but I don't like too much of it.

That's the problem. The cited references don't support the argument. In fact, half of them are non sequiturs.
So while they are published scientific facts, they don't support the argument that MSG is bad for you.

You fucking scientifically illiterate retard.

Sea salt is not sodium chloride. The seas are not laboratories with industrial grade purified chemicals. Nor scientists to control said mixture of highly lethal poisons to become "inert". Stop posting now, it's embarrassing.