It's gravy, not "sauce"

It's gravy, not "sauce"

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=X-eHk4RiIso
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

t. 7th generation Italian-American who swears they have family in the "old countey"

Fuck everyone from the north east

Also those family members are in the mafia

youtube.com/watch?v=X-eHk4RiIso

Spend all day making sauce from scratch.

Roommates "italian" friend comes over.

"EHH FUH GEDDA BOUTIT"
"You tryina break my balls??"
"Dis ain't da REAL italian sawceee"

Guy proceeds to open a can of some hunts and heat it, pinch of dried basil. "MAMA MIA, TRY THE AUTHENTIC ITALIANOEH, AY OH, OH EH, BADDA BOOM BADDA BING AH"

>no WOO HOO, SO LONG GAY BOWSER, or *1-UP*
0/10

>go to eat lunch at NY style pizza place
>walk up to order at the counter >middle aged guy with a cut off sleeve tshirt talking to cashier about NY
>wait patiently
>guy never shuts up
>have to cut the guy off and order over him
>go and sit down near-ish counter (small place)
>cashier has walked off leaving the guy just staring at me while on my phone
>eventually look up and make eye contact with him
>he immediately starts in
>EY BUDDY, you eva eat here befoah?
>yeah man, its pre-
>YA, its pretty good BUT YOU AINT NEVA HAD REAL PIZZA TILL YOU HAD IT IN NOO YAK CITY
>ive actually been to a lot of diff-
>YA BUT IT AINT DA SAME TRUST ME I KNOW IM FROM DA CITY YOU SUDANAS DON KNOW WHAT FOOD IS
>look man you realize you can make food anywhere right, everyone in this restaurant is from NYC
>SO WADDYA DO?
>uhhh...well right n-
>YA I WAS IN DA FOACE UP NORF FOA TWENTY YEAS YOU WOULDNT BELIEVE THE STUFF IVE SEEN
>thats cool man? law enforcement is a pretty tough career
>YA MAN TRUST ME I DID A LOT OF THINGS FOR A LADDA PEOPLE THAT I CANT TALK ABOUT YOU KNOW WAD IMA SAYING?

The food arrived at this point. Just two slices and a soda but I got the fuck out of there. Im very close to hating anyone from NY, NJ, or CT at this point. Wish it wasnt that way but I live in a big retirement area and all we get down here is

>YEAH YOU SUDDANAHS DON KNOW NOTHIN ABOUT HOW IT IS UP NAHF YOU WOULDNT LAST FIVE MINUTES WHERE I GREW UP

Gravy is brown and made from meat juices, dago.

>tfw I'm actually from upstate ny and everybody still think's I'm one of these guys

no its just italian americans. italian americans suck

Im the guy with the story. I hate it for ya man, three of my best friends are from upstate. Albany, Plattsburg, and Poughkipsie. My spelling is shit sorry. But for every 10 cool people from NY we get theres one of THOSE GUYS that ruins shit.

Isn't "gravy" like specifically based on reduced meat stock?

From wikipedia

"In Italian-American communities, particularly on the East Coast and around the Chicago area, the term "gravy", "tomato gravy", or "Sunday gravy" is used, but this refers to a tomato sauce rather that meat drippings mixed with a thickener. Used in this context, "gravy" is an erroneous English translation from the Italian sugo, which means juice. However, Sugo can also mean sauce, as in sugo per pastasciutta. Whether certain sauces are referred to as "gravy" or "sauce" in Italian-American cuisine continues to be a source of debate and varies according to different family and community traditions."

Try living with an italian family, you'll see this in full effect.

Indian people call their curries "gravy" also.

Gravy, by definition, must be made from the juices of cooked meats. Tomato sauce is made primarily from tomatoes, and not necessarily from any meats.

It's sauce!!! You're making us look like even more retarded dagos!!! Go back to Malta you african!
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

t. American Dago

Who the fuck eats sunday gravy without meat, fuckin vegan faggots? Only faggots don't put beef, sausage, steak, chicken, etc in their gravy

"Gravy" for a sauce consisting primarily of tomatoes with a small amount of meat for flavor is a lexical error intentionally committed by dumb guidos from New Jersey to sound authentic, it's like saying gabagool or wearing Armani-branded apparel.
Nice deflection, someone calls you out on your dumb shit and IT'S THE VEGANS LOOK OVER THERE!

>sawceee

do not try to protract a word for emphasis by repeating the wrong letter so it makes no phonetic sense. it makes me want to kill you and it's something dumb teenage girls do.

Fuck. You.

That looks really nice.
Actually, it looks just like here in South Germany at the edge of the Black Forest.
But i imagine you got way more space in the US.

Italian here. As in 'from Italy' and not 'greasy wop dago from Noo Yahk.'

That's not what 'sugo' means. Juice is 'succo' in Italian but greasy wop dagos can't into geminated consonants because the concept of gemination is entirely absent from English words. Also, they, for some inexplicable reason, pronounce C as G (see: gabagool).

Anyway, the word 'sugo' doesn't have a direct English translation. The closest would be 'drippings' or 'gravy' but it can mean a number of other things, too, including 'sauce' but 'juice' is not one of those things.

For years I'd kill anyone who said it. But now I sometimes say Sunday Gravy. It fucking took over. Sometimes I say "mootzarell" even though it says mozzarella right on the bag. Kill myself or nah?

I make Italian + Mexican food constantly and there's nothing you can do to stop me.

also Korean + Mexican is the bomb. Italians stole pasta from the chinks, they've been making underwhelming food ever since literally every non-traditional rendition is better.

Egg dough pasta had been eaten in the Mediterranean, Italy included, since the Greek empires.

Semolina dough pasta, the most common pasta thought about as 'pasta' today around the world, was introduced by the Moors and predates contact with Khanate by several centuries. Egg dough pasta predates it by over a thousand years.

Furthermore, eastern noodles are not made with semolina as it doesn't natively grow there.

Finallynoodles from Asia differ substantially from their European counterparts in several ways. For one, the hand pulling method used in many eastern noodles is entirely absent in the west. Another difference is the general varieties of shapes available, with the east having fewer than the west. We can see this morphing of noodles into various shapes the further west you go. Japan has the fewest variations followed by Korea with a few more then China with a few more than that then India with a few more than that then central Asia with a few more than that. By the time you reach eastern Europe, there are several dozens of shapes of noodles and hundreds by the time you reach Italy.

Lastly, other ingredients added to noodle doughs are wholly different east v west. Lye is common in the east and absent in the west. Fats aren't unheard of in making western noodles and are considered heretical in the preparation of eastern noodle doughs.

Saying that Italian pasta and European noodles are co-opted from China is like saying that Indians, in their long history of trade with the horn of Africa, stole their bread from the Ethiopians IE it's entirely fanciful and totally bullshit.

>he's saying italians don't have separate words for sauce and gravy and use them indistintly.

No one is saying that at all.
Salsa is the Italian (and Spanish and Portuguese and Catalan) word for 'sauce.'
'Sugo' can refer to sauces, sure, but it more commonly means 'drippings' and things made from drippings. Gravy (the starch-thickened stuff), as it is made from drippings, is also called 'sugo.' A sauce built upon or used to deglaze a pan of drippings in which meat has been cooked can also be called 'sugo.'

was hoping i'd trigger some autism. just doing my part to help you guys