Fancy meatloaf

Could meatloaf ever be served in fine dining?

If you were to serve meatloaf at a Michelin star restaurant or a place for VIPs like the White House, how would you prepare it so that it was considered fine dining? What would you serve it with?

Meatloaf if by and large a comfort food and often requires on nostalgia: it generally doesn't use high quality meat and lacks different textures and the flavours whilst comfy generally aren't particularly refined.

How would you do it, Veeky Forums? How would you prepare a fancy meatloaf that you could serve in a 3 star restaurant?

Human meat meatloaf would be nice. Very rare. Add some black truffles and foie gras.

>Human meat meatloaf would be nice

Are you murican children even capable of thinking outside your indoctrination..?

Meatloaf IS NOT food.

I'm Australian.

I'm just curious as to whether or not it could be done. I think you could if you use better cuts of meat freshly grinded but I'm struggling to justify if you're mincing pork belly and veal that you could really prepare a better meal after mincing them into a loaf then you could if you just cooked them into individual dishes.

Years ago when I was learning to cook I had a Reader's Digest cookbook called One Pot Meals. It had an "everything" meatloaf recipe that used rice as the filler, and then you added a bunch of veggies. Best damn meatloaf I've ever eaten, and it spurred me to learn more about cooking.

Meatloaf is GOAT.

Nah it cannot mate. It a lump of ground beef is essence

Apples and oranges, if that makes sense upside down.

Anytime you use quality ingredients, your going to get better food.

A quality meatloaf starts with ground veal and pork. It's not that they wouldn't be better individually, it's that combined they make a top tier meatloaf, which was your point I suspect.

No lump of ground beef will ever be served at a Michelin star restaurant.

He answered his own question here

It can be done.
Think of paté, or any forcemeat for that matter.
Really it's just a matter of not calling it meatwad...unless you're already well established and can get away with using terms like that (for example Heston Blumenthal or Wylie DuFresne).

>No lump of ground beef will ever be served at a Michelin star restaurant

steak tartare

intellectual checkmate

I dunno. It's certainly be a challenge but I don't think it's outside the realms of possibility.

let's say a 60/30/10 ratio of veal, angus beef chuck and chorizo roughly minced for a bit of texture.

A centre with camembert, caramelised onions and chopped oyster mushrooms. A glaze made with a tomato and chilli jam and wrapped in crispy prosciutto.

Serve over a creamy parsnip mash, some Asparagus spears topped with a poached egg and a light and thin gravy based with meat juices and tomato.

Sounds okay in theory. No idea how it would turn out in practice.

>Really it's just a matter of not calling it meatwad

>Sounds okay in theory.
No, it doesn't.
>No idea how it would turn out in practice.
It wouldn't.

It's okay though, I wouldn't expect you to be able to write a menu, but see Paté is a mixture of MEATs in the shape of a LOAF. You're (and others) are hung up on the nomenclature.

>No, it doesn't.

What's wrong with it?

>It wouldn't.

How do you know?

For both:
The camembert would break during the cooking.
No reason to use pre-spiced meats (especially if this is supposed to be a **** restaurant).
The prosciutto would burn during the cook (is it was wrapped) during the cook.
Glaze or crispy pork coating: pick one. I guess you sauce it with a "glaze", but you talked about a sauce later, so..

I'm not here to pick on you or argue that you are wrong -I actually agree with it being do-able- it's just that the description is a bit contrived.

>No lump of ground beef will ever be served at a Michelin star restaurant.

What is "steak tartare" for $200, Alex?

use bison

>The camembert would break during the cooking.

So? you'd want it melted in the centre of the loaf.

>No reason to use pre-spiced meats (especially if this is supposed to be a **** restaurant).

Are you suggesting Chorizo is not used in Michelin restaurants? It is.

>The prosciutto would burn during the cook (is it was wrapped) during the cook.

Depends on when the loaf is wrapped

>Glaze or crispy pork coating: pick one. I guess you sauce it with a "glaze", but you talked about a sauce later, so..

Both, glaze throughout cooking then wrap with prosciutto for the last 20 mins or so.

What if the ground beef was made from AAA tenderloin?

(bad grammar, sorry)
Me again...

>...or a place for VIPs like the White House, how would you prepare it so that it was considered fine dining?

I think the WH would be more forgiving than a **** restaurant. I'd probably use beef, pork, and lamb. Equal parts. Keep them separated and spice them slightly differently (maybe a bit of heat in the pork, sweet in the beef, savory in the lamb). Portion out 3 ounces of each, roll each into a rectangle shape, and jellyroll (pic related).
Wrap in bacon.

The camembert would break. After it melts, it breaks. Proteins separate from the fats. Over-heated.
I would think that a **** restaurant might use Spanish chorizo. I assumed you were talking about Mexican chorizo which is just ground pork with spices in it. I work at a zero star restaurant and I grind/spice my own chorizo. If a **** restaurant was grinding their own chuck and whatever else you said, why would they order it in from somewhere else? Lazy. They wouldn't. But it's just nit picking and I don't really feel like shitting on your idea because we agree. But why use chuck when you could use a mix of flank, brisket, and loin?

>2014
>No mere Singaporean chicken-rice food stall will ever become a Michelin starred restaurant

>But why use chuck when you could use a mix of flank, brisket, and loin?

Fat content and flavour. Brisket would be a good choice though.

Somewhere, there is a 4star that does meatloaf, or did meatloaf at one time.

I mean it's almost inevitable. Some chef would take it as a challenge, and at a base level there is nothing particularly wrong about it pallet wise.

Then it's a lump of AAA tenderloin mince. If it's not tartar I cannot recognise it as real three star food

Does sound awesome, but I find mince visually so unappealing. It turnes gray in a meatloaf or when friend wrong

This is the exception yes my bad

OBSESSED.