Well Veeky Forums?

Well Veeky Forums?

Which would you choose?

Ask Sylvia Plath

Electric heats up more evenly and provides a dry cooking environment.

Gas heats up more quickly, but can be less even (especially on cheaper gas ovens), and will provide a wetter cooking environment (food will dry out less quickly).

The Dry vs wet argument has merits on both sides, it's a preference thing.

Due to the range on top, gas is the top choice. It simply provides way more BTUs and finer cooking control. Not to mention the heat energy in the form of natural gas is something like ten times less expensive than the cost of electricity. A gas flame also can never really wear out, but electric elements do wear out, break, and get dirty with burned on shit.

Aren't we talking about ovens here?

Gas/Electric range is totally different, especially since these days any good electric range is Induction electric, which most professional chefs prefer to gas.

Gas ovens and stove tops cook better, but electric ovens and stovetops cost less to run. It's less about preference and more about cost.

I thought gas was cheaper than electric?

This isn't true at all lol

Not only will gas/electric prices vary depending where you live, the blanket statement gas ovens AND stove tops cook "better" is blatantly wrong.

I have a flatrate bill for gas. 100 bucks/year.

I honestly doubt the cost of running an oven will really be a factor in anything for most households whether gas or electric, I could run my oven all day and it wouldn't probably cost me more than $2-3.

>It simply provides way more BTUs
Wut?

Induction cooktops can generally provide the same, if not more BTUs.

My induction cooktop's largest surface is 8" and provides 2,500W which is ~18,000 BTU, and has a boost mode that can provide 3,800w which is ~28,000 BTUs

most consumer gas ranges will have 8,000-18,000 BTU.

electric for oven, gas for the stove.

Electric. You don't need instantaneously high heat for searing, stir-frying, etc. in an oven.

Also webm related.

You can open up that gas valve and let the pipeline flow into a massive gas flame, it will easily blow away the capacity of any electric appliance. If you cook with a wok you need this. Also, induction cooktops suck ass.
Electricity is a lot more expensive than gas, unless you're in BFE and using bottles propane maybe. People shitpick about replacing light bulbs and reducing vampire power draws which is savings in the neighborhood of dozens to hundreds of watts, but your oven and range use many thousands of watts, and is a MAJOR contributor to your electricity bill.

>If you cook with a wok you need this.
lolol confirmed fucking retarded.

Even big $2000 STANDALONE gas wok cooktops provides 30,000 BTU at the HIGH end, most wok cooktops advertise 18,000-28,000 BTU, and guess fucking what, that's what my induction cooktop can provide.

You've obviously never used a professional induction cooktop.

This. Also prefer to have a separate range and oven.

I have something like pic related atm but have room to go for the double stack oven when I get the money for a nice unit.

>anything but gas

kys

Why the fuck would I want induction? Like I said, electric bill is way higher than the gas bill, also I fucking hate electric stoves.
I frequently toast corn tortillas directly on the flame, and sometimes char peppers on it. I dont want a shitty induction cooktop in my house.

>electric bill is way higher than the gas bill
Holy shit you're retarded

You're talking about the difference between $5 a month for gas and $8-10 a month for electric, big fucking deal.

Also, I have a portable japanese clay stove that I use for that type of shit since it's so rare.

I'd rather have induction that's simple as fuck to clean, provides more precise even heating, and provides more BTUs than the average home gas range (unless you're buying a commercial range for your house)

Gas isn't magic. When cooking you want to apply consistent heat.
In the past electric appliances would heat up by cycling power on and off leading to uneven cooking but things have progressed since then.
If you are going cheap electric is still shit but if you are willing to drop more than a few hundred into your appliances it is absolutely comparable if not superior to gas depending on how you rate the pros and cons of each.

Step aside you filthy cosmopolitans

>If you are going cheap electric is still shit but if you are willing to drop more than a few hundred into your appliances it is absolutely comparable if not superior to gas depending on how you rate the pros and cons of each.
yup, modern high end induction cooktops and electric ovens are comparable, if not better for certain tasks than gas. Even high end gas oven/ranges.

Your math is a bit off there. 1W ~= 3 BTU

Meant to reply to

Not REALLY.

BTU/hour = kW x 7185

This formula takes into account the efficiency of the gas heating element being only 60% efficient compared to induction which is 90% efficient.

So 3.8kW is ~27,300 BTU equivalent.
and 2.5kW is ~17,950 BTU equivalent.

If you care to look into it yourself, see my pic

Despite it's lower efficiency I will take gas over induction any day. It simply has too many advantages:

-works with any material of cookware
-works with any shape of cookware (i.e. a wok)
-instant source of flame for flambeing, roasting the skins off peppers, toasting, etc.
-usually has a higher power output (even with lower efficiency taken into account)
-maintains a nice low simmer without the on-off-on-off BS that most induction tops do.
-easy to see the heat level at a glance
-doesn't annoyingly turn itself off when you pick up or move a pot
-works in the event of a power outage
-is generally less expensive to operate

IMHO the only advantage that induction has is that it's easy to clean.

Sounds like you haven't used an induction cooktop that wasn't made in the late 90's or early 2000's

Induction tops from ~2010 and later have all been fantastic in my personal use and would gladly get rid of my gas range for a decent induction top.

Gas has it's place still, but for a home kitchen I just don't use those specific gas only purposes often enough to warrant it, and the modern inductions are just better all around for even heating, and the ability to hold a precise temp. I personally do a lot of candies which require me to hold a very steady low temp and every induction top I've worked on that wasn't old or a cheap piece of shit has done this wonderfully.

Fair enough. My induction cooktop (which is only 1800W because that's all you can do on 120V in America) definitely seems slower than my gas range's power burner, but I do appreciate how it doesn't make the kitchen 100+°F in summer.

>which is only 1800W because that's all you can do on 120V in America)
You realize american kitchens have 240v lines specifically for ovens and shit?

Induction uses much less power than heat element.

You can't lump it's power consumption with the rest of the electric choices. It's more comparable to gas in value and in some areas it's cheaper.

I do, but because my house has a gas installation in the kitchen, there's no 240v to it. So I'd have to pay an electrician hundreds for the privilege of installing a $2000 stove. Thanks, but I'll stick with the $50 induction cooktop.

Ahh, fair enough. I installed my own 240V line, just had to pay a certified electrician to come out and verify the work and hook it up to the main, cost like $200.

>Sounds like you haven't used an induction cooktop that wasn't made in the late 90's or early 2000's

That is true. It's nice to hear that they fixed the low simmer problem.

I still have no desire to use induction though; there are still far too many advantages for gas.

Gas. Always.

You are like a little baby.

electric stoves are the devil.

so if it is a combined unit. I have to pick gas. if I get a gas oven, it's going to be convection.