Potluck ideas

Hey, Veeky Forums,

I'm participating in a potluck with 20-30 other people in a couple weeks and IDK what to make.

My drive to the event is about 1 hour and 10 minutes, which may make transportation of a dish an issue. I have access to a shitty microwave and no oven.

I had the idea of doing a crock pot full of Korean beef, but I floated the idea to a couple other participants and they didn't seem interested. It's probably a bad idea anyway because of the cost, the drive, and the number of people to feed.

Give me your go-to potluck recipes, Veeky Forums. I'm pretty open to things, but I'm especially interested in things that aren't desserts.

Thanks!

Other urls found in this thread:

tasteofhome.com/recipes/wassail-bowl-punch
youtu.be/eziEpANHbgo
youtube.com/watch?v=LaHTyB399z8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Boil some potatoes in the microwave. Make potatosalad with sourcream/mayo, chopped red onions and chives.
Great for sidedish to all those meatballs you're gonna see.

Thanks for the idea.
I should clarify that at my home I have a microwave, and oven, a slow cooker, a toaster. At the venue, there is but a microwave.

I'm thinking about home made salsa, but then I think if I'm gonna do salsa, I could just buy half a gallon and it wouldn't go bad overnight. I don't fuxxing know.

Someone's doing BBQ chicken sandwiches, cheese dip, buffalo dip, and cake so far.

someone explain the potluck thing to someone not from the US?
My understanding is its a cummunity/church-organised get together where everyone brings a dish, why would you be on a 1hour drive for that? Is there anything to win?
Or is potluck just a general theme for a party/meeting?

I have never been to one but it sounds great. Bring a bunch of unhealthy food, eat to your heart's content, drink some beer, play some football with the kids, etc
Sure beats what I do on sundays

I'm in college and we have a day coming up where we'll do a special training course before our regularly scheduled classes that will start/stretch our day 5 hours earlier/longer than usual so we've agreed to do a potluck to make it more tolerable. I live 70 minutes away from campus so my day will be quite long and anything I bring must be ok for that long of a car ride.

>where everyone brings a dish

That's the only defining characteristic of a "potluck". It could be done with a church group, co-workers, classmates at school, friends, family, members of a club or organization, a group of neighbors....pretty much anything that involves multiple people. It could be done for any sort of party/meeting/group activity.

As for the "drive one hour", nobody would drive an hour for random food on its own. But you might drive an hour to meet up with the group of people in general--perhaps you're seeing friends or family you haven't visited in a long time. Or perhaps it's an obligation for work or a club you're a member of.

Five pounds of rice, and some bottled water.

You're welcome.

Th-thanks, user.

How gay would this be if it ends up being a warm day?
tasteofhome.com/recipes/wassail-bowl-punch

M E A T B A L L S youtu.be/eziEpANHbgo

That would be 100% gay in anything other than a Christmas party.

>100% gay
That's pretty gay.
>Spending 20 hours and $400 to make fuckin meatballs
Thanks, but get fucked.

Grilled Mussels and Fresh ice tea

youtube.com/watch?v=LaHTyB399z8

its not very expensive or much more time consuming than any other homemade meatballs you bitch

why are you here?

How to make inexpensive meatballs:
Step 1: buy $10 worth of ground beef
Step 2: roll into balls
Step 3: suck my dick

why are you here?

If it's just some lame acquaintance/co-worker/etc get together then just buy a cheese or vegetable plate from the grocery store because nobody else is going to give a shit either.

Pretty much, it's a community event.

>1 hour drive
1 hour drives aren't considered long in the US; hell, I would consider anything below two hours an "ok" drive.

>Arrive at Frankfurt
>Everyone says it's fucking crazy to expect people to pick me up since Cologne is 2 hours away.

Anyway,

So, for things that are
>Relatively popular
>Cheap
>Crock-potable
>Reheat well

I would consider mac and cheese, or mashed potatoes. Also, if you want to give for something unAmerican and filthy Communist consider doing a sort of rice dish; Moros y Cristianos is pretty fucking cheap to make in bulk.

I'd just generally avoid making meat dishes because meat for 30 people is pretty shit, it tends to reheat poorly, and it takes some expertise. If you want to still, make a cholent, or cocido madrileno.

>That's pretty gay.

Is it, though?

Can you be 99% gay?

I would think so. A bisexual would be something less than 100% gay.

So problems Potlucks, in my experience, always have is a glut of desserts and a lack of actual meat dishes.

Make crockpot cowboy pie. It's easy. Cornbread, tomatoes, ground beef, cheese, beans, onions, etc.

Most people don't have super developed palettes so they just love strong tastes. Also people fucking LOVE salt. Never underestimate salt.

>crockpot cowboy pie
this sounds so retarded it might just work
gimme your recipe, google doesn't have anything w/ cornbread in it

Thanks for the explanation, gotta say i kind of envy you guys for this kind of event being popular in the US. Here in Germany people either meet at a restaurant or someone has to go out on a limp and invite everyone for dinner, thats usually me since im the only one that likes to cook and does it well.
Anyways here are some things off the top of my hat:
>Hungarian goulash, bouef bourguignon (would be my topchoices,even better reheated and pretty easy to prepare and reheat)
>Summerrolls with a sauce (crushed peanuts+caramelized sugar)
>oxtailstew, i did something based on jamie olivers youtube recipe and it came out very good
>a large bowl of tabouleh (girls go crazy for this salad somehow, use very little bulgur on a huge amount of parsley and mint)
>salad of beet (oven or cooked)+feta+lemonjuice+roasted walnuts+arugula

basically any other stew or hearty soup also works

Bologna sandwiches.