Chili Thread

Chili Thread

What are your recipes lads? Going to try this one out tonight. It's kind of a blend between Chef John's 3 Bean Chili recipe and his Beer, Beef and Bean recipe.

1 TBSP Oil
1 TBSP Ground Cumin
1 TSP Chipotle Flakes
1 TSP Paprika
1/2 TSP Dried Oregano
2 TBSP Ground Cayenne Pepper
1 TBSP Ancho Chili Flakes
1/8 TSP Cinnamon
1/8 TSP Cocoa Powder
1 Diced Onion
2 Cloves Garlic, Minced
1 Can of Pinto Beans
1 Can of Red Kidney Beans
150g Quorn Mince
3/4 Fresh Small Green Chili's
Can of Chopped Tomatoes
2 TBSP Tomato Puree
1 Cup Water (If needed)

I'm using flakes because it's all I have available in Bongland. Any criticism is greatly appreciated.

needs more meat for my taste, serve with a side of a nice moist cornbread and youve got a good meal ahead of you

>I'm using flakes because it's all I have available in Bongland

I was going to bitch about that, but if that's all you can get then that's what you're stuck with.

I would never use water in Chili though. If you do need to add liquid then add something flavorful: tomato juice, V8 vegetable juice, beer, stock/broth, etc.

>Quorn
WTF? Are you making some kind of meatless chili? That's a goddamn sin, and I'm not even religious.

I'm not really that big of a meateater and ground beef is expensive, especially for a student.. In that case, should I just bulk it up with another can of red kidney beans or leave as is?

If I were to use stock, which of the two would you suggest: chicken or beef? I was debating between the two. I don't want the taste of stock to be overpowering. A cup of weak stock or?

If you haven't before, try adding a small cup of coffee, I think it goes really well with chilis

Don't add coffee or water to chili, that should go without fucking saying. Also if you don't use meat it's not fucking chilli, it's some vegan, retarded, tomato slop.

I think you should use meat rather than quorn or more beans. I'm also surprised to hear about the cost. Here in the US Quorn is more expensive than ground/minced beef.

As for the stock, I'd use beef stock. It's flavor matches the taste of chili better. But chicken would work if that's all you have. Don't worry about it overpowering the taste of the chili; it won't.

lentils
sliced carrot
split peas
frozen green peas
tomato paste
pinto beans

chili powder
ginger powder
garlic powder
black pepper
curry powder
Italian seasoning
cayenne powder

1. soak lentils and split peas in water for a while, I use 2 tablespoons of each for my meal.
2. slice carrots, I use 1 big one or 2 medium sized ones. thinly slice them, like coins.
3. pressure cook lentils, carrots and split peas for about 2 minutes
4. pour contents into pot
5. add pinto beans, tomato paste, frozen green peas, and all the spices except Italian seasoning. it's up to you to decide how much of each seasoning you want. I go heavy on the chili powder. add extra watrer if needed.
6. bring to a slight boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 5 minutes
7. let cool for 13 minutes off heat
8. pour into bowl and mix in some Italian seasoning.
9.eat with some toasted bread.

Yeah true. Meat is preferable but I've been spending too much recently on crap.

How much is it in the US anyway? I can get a 300g bag for £1.29 from my local Lidl.

Does anyone actually measure spices out?

>How much is it in the US anyway?

In my area is about $4 for 12 oz; I think that's about £3.30 for 340 g.

I can get a whole pound (450g) of beef for under $3.

Mine:

>chili base
3 ancho chiles
3 mulato chiles
3 pasilla negra chiles
3 chipotle morita
3 cascabel chiles
1/2 cup dark raisins
Soak all in hot water to rehydrate. Stem and deseed chiles. Puree all into a smooth paste.

>spices
3 tbsp cumin seeds
2 tsp coriander seeds
1 small ceylin 'true' cinnamon stick, broken apart

2 tsp mexican oregano

Toast spices except oregano, and grind. Add in oregano.

>Remainder

2 lb beef chuck or short ribs, cubed
2 medium onions, diced
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 bottle dark beer
1 bay leaf
0.25lb beans, soaked overnight. I like orca beans.
Small piece mexican chocolate

>Toppings etc
Roasted corn kernels
Shaved fresh chiles
Cilantro

Brown beef really well, remove from pot. Add onions and brown well, adding garlic and toasted spices in the last minute or so. Add beef back in, add beer and chili base, and simmer about 45 min. Add beans and simmer until beans are cooked and beef is fork tender. Season to taste, add chocolate and stir to incorporate.

Noobs do because they haven't learned to taste-and-adjust yet; they just blindly follow what the recipe states without paying attention to the relative potency of the seasonings.

I just marinated some karelian stew (chunks of cheap cuts of beef and pork 60/40) in some coca cola and lemon juice for several hours

Adding my signature tomato pulp with one beef and one vegetable bullying cube, some sugar and vinegar, tiny amount of soy sauce and oregano, some habanero sauce, huge white beans

Mild, delicious soft meats in three hours of 160c oven after slightly searing meats on a pan

Oh and also coconut cream

Well to be fair I can get a 400g pack of decent beef from Lidl for about £3.75 and I've done that before. And that's the fancy ground beef they have too.

I would love to use strips of actual beef but they are close to 8€ for 400g, bringing the total price of my chili to 20€.

Im really into these cheap cuts now, whats the murikan word for beef cubes

I wouldn't know dude, although I've always wanted to make chili with beef strips and chunks. Never had it like that before.

>beef cubes

That's it. Some places might call it "stew beef"; that's basically random trimmings cut into stew-sized pieces.

Oddly enough, that's nearly always more expensive than buying a cheap cut of beef, like a chuck steak. And often times it's the same price as buying sirloin.

I often hear that you might as well buy the chuck steak and cube it yourself. Apparently, when you see beef cubes in a supermarket, the cubes themselves tend to be from meat which is hard to sell anyway.

This is finland, I only use the close by minimarket. Our beef cubes are relatively cheap.

Just took this pic today.

>I often hear that you might as well buy the chuck steak and cube it yourself.

That's usually what I do. It's usually cheaper, plus you get some more fat and connective tissue in the chuck, and that's ideal for long-simmered dishes like stews or chili.

The "stew beef" is often extremely lean which is counterproductive for dishes like that.

OP here. Chili went well. Decided partway through to not bother with the quorn and added two diced peppers instead. The spice you get from this recipe is good; it builds up as you eat and although it's pretty hot, it is not unbearable and unpleasant.

Props to the guy who recommended I use beef stock, and I'll probably make this with some ground beef next time. Got 5 portions left which'll last a while too!