Bread?

Bread?

Bread!

More importantly, what goes ON the bread?

>Autistic Persons

Who is this bakery and why are they mocking me?

Just made my first loaf of bread yesterday. Came out very delicious. Pretty high hydration which made me feel like I was fucking up the dough the whole time (my prior dough experience was making pizza doughs, which are much lower hydration and feel less like they'll run through my fingers at a moment's notice.)

Wanna make some sourdough yeast and do some of that shit too.

Is a loaf of bread a sandwich?

Looks yum
Got a pic of the crumb?

Breakfast yesterday was just a big ribeye-cut of the bread, still steaming from the oven.

Yup, here you go. Totally open to any critiques (aka lemme know if it looks like I did something completely retarded and fucked it up, like I said this is my first time doing this.)

Very nicely done! But next time, wait for it to cool down before you cut it open. The flavour and crumb actually develops more that way. I just fed my sourdough and am going to start working on a loaf in a few hours.

I actually have a loaf rising right now. This is my third time trying this recipe and I can't get it to turn out how I want.
The first two times it tasted floury, but then I realized I was packing the flour when measuring. So this time I used much less flour, but it was still practically batter and unworkable. I added more flour little by little until it wasn't sticking, but I feel like it took a lot of flour. It may also be that my flour is shit because all I have is bleached enriched flour from Aldi

How do I get a thick, hard crust with soft interior? Something that makes a real nice cracking sound when you bite it, you know?

You want to add steam during the baking process, user. Steam creates a thicker crust.

>2.50
That better be Canadian WTF

How long did you jointer the dough? The loaf bottom looks odd, did your recipe include safron or ghil weed for the batching process?

Major ripoff. Just look at the prices they're charging for other shit. This is why you dont make bread at home in small batches, its a complete waste of time and you'll never break even, just shop at a good bakery instead.

Update:
I put a pan of water in the oven for the first 20 minutes to add steam, but this actually made the crust softer than any previous crust. It's like as soft as a dinner roll now. It doesn't taste floury anymore but the flavour is still not quite right.

Fuck yes, a bread thread

I made a prosciutto braid the other day, it was one of the most delicious things I've experienced. Homemade bread is the best.

I'm also planning on making homemade hamburger buns later this week when I do burgers.

You need to increase your baking temperature, most crusty bread is baked at 400-450. If your oven isn't very efficient or loses heat quickly you may need a baking stone to retain enough thermal mass to make crusty bread.

>This is why you dont make bread at home in small batches, its a complete waste of time and you'll never break even, just shop at a good bakery instead.
bullshit, as long as you buy your flour in bulk (I have a costco member and flour is almost the only thing I buy there) you can make a really nice loaf of bread at home for less than 50 cents each. If you learn to bake with a sourdough starter you can make really good bread with nothing more than flour, water, and salt.

this looks nice, gj on the braiding.

I've wanted to get into baking bread for a while now. Anyone have any good recipes they'd be willing to share? I already tried a no-knead recipe with less-than-stellar results.

>You need to increase your baking temperature, most crusty bread is baked at 400-450. If your oven isn't very efficient or loses heat quickly you may need a baking stone to retain enough thermal mass to make crusty bread.
Oh shit, I'm using a baking stone but I've been baking at 375. Fucking hell

is buying flower/yeast+oven cheaper than buying a 99 cent loaf?

im onlyh interested in making bread as a cheaper alternative to buying bread. im on a "cheap cooking" kicker atm

use a scale and weigh the flour and water instead of measuring it by volume

66 grams of water for 100 grams of flour is an easy to work hydration with good results.

And like the other guy said, use higher heat. I preheat the oven to 250 celsius, and drop it to 230 celsius after around 5 minutes when I want a crackly crust. I also just pour a half a coffee cup of water on a separate pan on the bottom of the oven right after placing the bread in, as opposed to having a full pan of water steaming it up for 20 minutes.

Google is spot on this time.

Cook's illustrated for italian bread, it's also no knead but it takes at least a day, also the guide on shaping the dought is unnecessary, just fold the corners of the square you make until you get a loaf shape, but use minimal folds.
Biga
11 ounces bread flour (2 cups)
¼ teaspoon instant yeast
8 ounces water (1 cup), room temperature
Dough
16 ½ ounces bread flour (3 cups), plus extra for dusting hands and work surface
1 teaspoon instant yeast
10.7 ounces water (1 1/3 cups), room temperature
2 teaspoons table salt
INSTRUCTIONS
1. For the biga: Combine flour, yeast, and water in bowl of standing mixer fitted with dough hook. Knead on lowest speed (stir on KitchenAid) until it forms a shaggy dough, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer biga to medium bowl, cover tightly with plastic wrap, and let stand at room temperature until beginning to bubble and rise, about 3 hours. Refrigerate biga at least 8 hours or up to 24 hours.
2. For the dough: Remove biga from refrigerator and let stand at room temperature while making dough. Combine flour, yeast, and water in bowl of standing mixer fitted with dough hook; knead on lowest speed until rough dough is formed, about 3 minutes. Turn mixer off and, without removing dough hook or bowl from mixer, cover bowl loosely with plastic wrap; let dough rest 20 minutes.
cont...

3. Remove plastic wrap, add biga and salt to bowl, and continue to knead on lowest speed until ingredients are incorporated and dough is formed (dough should clear sides of bowl but stick to very bottom), about 4 minutes. Increase mixer speed to low (speed 2 on KitchenAid) and continue to knead until dough forms a more cohesive ball, about 1 minute. Transfer dough to large bowl (at least 3 times dough’s size) and cover tightly with plastic wrap. Let dough rise in cool, draft-free spot away from direct sunlight, until slightly risen and puffy, about 1 hour.
4. Remove plastic wrap and, following illustrations from "Step by Step: Turning the Dough", turn dough. Replace plastic wrap; let dough rise 1 hour. Turn dough again, replace plastic wrap, and let dough rise 1 hour longer.
5. To shape the dough: Dust work surface liberally with flour. Gently scrape and invert dough out of bowl onto work surface (side of dough that was against bowl should now be facing up). Dust dough and hands liberally with flour and, using minimal pressure, push dough into rough 8- to 10-inch square. Following illustrations from "Step by Step: Shaping the Loaf", shape dough and transfer to large sheet parchment paper. Dust loaf liberally with flour and cover loosely with plastic wrap; let loaf rise until doubled in size, about 1 hour. Meanwhile, adjust oven rack to lower-middle position, place baking stone on rack, and heat oven to 500 degrees.
cont...

6. To bake: Using a lame, single-edged razor blade, or sharp chef’s knife, cut slit 1/2 inch deep lengthwise along top of loaf, starting and stopping about 1 1/2 inches from ends; spray loaf lightly with water. Slide parchment sheet with loaf onto baker’s peel or upside-down baking sheet, then slide parchment with loaf onto hot baking stone in oven. Bake 10 minutes, then reduce oven temperature to 400 degrees and quickly spin loaf around using edges of parchment; continue to bake until deep golden brown and instant-read thermometer inserted into center of loaf registers 210 degrees, about 35 minutes longer. Transfer to wire rack, discard parchment, and cool loaf to room temperature, about 2 hours.

Also I have never been able to make good looking scores on my loafs, even with a new razor blade. is a lame really needed?

>This is why you dont make bread at home in small batches, its a complete waste of time and you'll never break even
idk man. 5 pound bag of flour is $5. That'll make me 8 loaves. I've got a jar of yeast I've been using since November that's half empty, cost $6. Salt and water are practically free.

Thanks, I actually think I have this issue lying around somewhere. I'll have to dig it out.

Yeah, to add to that, like another poster said, if you bake sourdough with a starter, I keep it in the fridge and feed it once a week, then when I'm ready to use it I just literally mix starter, flour, salt, and water together and I get a loaf for cents.

If you buy a Costco bulk bag of flour, you can bag it up in freezer bags and keep all but one bag in the freezer, making it hella cheap.

Make a sandwich with that bread and it's no longer junk food, now is it?

It's bread.

Got some rolls rising. I'll be baking in about an hour. Who else /bread here?

In the oven they go.

Woot

that's some nice finishing salt you've got there

gimme some rosemary butter and we're in business

how does the bottom look? Id be afraid to bake something delicate on a hot castiron skillet without it burning

Looks good to me.

>how does the bottom look?

My phone battery died, but they look almost exactly as golden brown on bottom as they do on top. After it charges a bit I might take a pic or two.

The cast iron wasn't really that hot when i put them in. I did put them on a gas burner and crank it up to high for about 2 or 3 minutes just before putting it in the oven, just to get a little heat into the pan. With this technique you kind of want the rolls to be surrounded by an even hit on all sides and I find that preheating the pan that they rise in is a good technique (just a little).

>nice finishing salt

Thanks. I wish I could remember which brand of fleur de sel it is. My friend had a bunch and I commented how I'd been looking for some, and didn't want to have to pay shipping off the internet. He just threw some in a ziplock for me and told me to take it... I wish it was a little finer... but it tastes really good. I remember it being a green box, and I have reason to believe it was pic related.

Those rolls look great man. How were they? Just finished off two loaves of rosemary bread-- one for me, one for a friend.

>tfw your whole apartment smells like fresh baked bread

Bottoms.

Super light and airy. I'll post crumb shot later.

Crumb shot.

made burger buns today

These are unbelievable with a little butter.

Best I've ever made, next time I will make a slightly larger batch so that the rolls nestle a little closer with each other and rise upward more than outward.

I've seen a recipe lately that calls for yeast and baking powder, anyone ever try this?

Nice.

Bread is the staple of the communist. I've been trying to get more in touch with that side of me. Any recommendations for communist bread?

Very good. People don't realize how much good bread lends to a great sandwich. People take it for granted these days, but when you eat a cheeseburger on an extra nice bun, the bun helps the sandwich transcend space and time to other realms outside of mere existence. I made a sourdough loaf at home once and made some BrieLTs with it. It tasted like intangible paradigms that aren't usually associated with the sense of taste... like honor, consciousness, an understanding of the word aesthetic or hegemony, or an awareness of humanity as a singularity... Eating a sandwich on really good bread is a like tasting a master class on the philosophy of love and oneness with the universe... Another time it caused me to have a mid life crisis at the age of 23. It was a real existential mind fuck.

I wish you well on your journey of self exploration.

>the people's bread

You're probably thinking of a basic sliced white loaf of sandwich bread.

>Bread is the staple of the communist.
Yeah, communists line out the door for it.

>the people's bread
>the white shit

This is THE bread

brb gonna get salo and onions

CRUSTY BREAD WITH A BURGER IS FUCKING DISGUSTING AND WRONG. IF THE BREAD IS STRONGER THAN THE MEAT THAN YOU'LL HAVE TO EXERT MORE FORCE TO BREAK THE BREAD THEN TO BREAK THE PATTY OF BEEF AND THE BEEF AND OTHER SHIT WILL SQUISH AROUND AND AS YOU HAVE TO HOLD THE BURGER THE OTHER INGREDIENTS WILL SQUASH OUT THE BACK. FUCK YOU FUCK YOU FUCK YOU FUCK YOU FUCK YOU.

Perhaps you would like to quote the part where anyone said that the bread on a burger should be crusty?

Why are you yelling user? Did you get upset?

There is no need to be upset user. This is just an image sharing board...

xD now I see why they call this board 'random' LMAO xDDD

HOW ABOUT I FUCKING KILL YOU YOU FUCKING FAGGOT WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING BAKING BREAD AT HOME IF IT'S NOT CRUSTY BECAUSE LITERALLY THE ONLY WAY TO FUCKING MAKE BREAD THAT'S SOFT AND NOT CRUSTY IS TO FUCKING USE ALL SORTS OF DOUGH CONDITIONERS THAT YOU CAN REALLY ONLY OBTAIN IN 50LB BOXES FROM PROFESSIONAL BAKING SUPPLIERS DON'T BAKE YOUR OWN ROLLS YOU FUCKING FAGGOT BUY THEM FROM THE SUPER MARKET

>USE ALL SORTS OF DOUGH CONDITIONERS

Fun fact: Milk is a dough conditioner, considered a relaxer, as is butter. I make non-crusty bread all the time at home. You should learn how to make bread, it's fun.

What the fuck did you just fucking say about bread, you little bitch? I’ll have you know I've made more bread in one day than your shop has sold in a month, and I have over 300 confirmed tons. I am trained in baking and I can roll 100lb of loaves perfectly before you could have it mixed and on the table. You are nothing to me but just another gluten. I will roll you the fuck out with precision the likes of which can only be accomplished by hand-kneading. You think you can get away with mixing dough with a machine? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my bakery and will have baked several hundred loaves of bread with a peel in a stone deck. The deck that kneads better bread than that pathetic little thing you call your stand-mixer. You’re fucking kneaded, dough. I can bake anywhere, anytime, and I can knead you in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in baking bread, but I have access to the entire baking department and I will use it to its full extent to knead your miserable dough off the face of the shop, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” mixer was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have used your fucking hands. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will knead flour all over you and you will drown in it. You’re fucking baked, kiddo.

(You)