What's with the modern obsession with macarons?

And why are they so damn expensive?!

I see them all the time on the web. It's making me curious about what they are like...

They taste like sugary disappointment.

Because it takes skill, concentration and effort to make one that is perfectly smooth, a pleasing curvature, a high and perfectly level foot with a clear separation line, the top and bottom halfs the exact same size and both perfectly round.
Also, the filling requires a bit of fingerspitzgefühl and unless you want a very dry filling they have a short shelf life once assembled.
>taste
Like an almond merengue. Because that's what it is. With whatever other flavour the baker chose to put in it.

There has always been a desire to eat them, because they're delicious, tedious to make and comprised of expensive ingredients.

Most people enjoy sweets once in a while.

I don't know. I just don't know. I hated them thirty years ago. And I hate them still.

overrated, can be good but still not worth the hype it gets since a couple years

colorful meme food that people post on pinterest or whatever the fuck

That is a McChicken

Thought the same thing for a minute.

Why don't they just have a factory make them?

...just like cake pops. I have never had one of those either... but im now curious about trying one of those too..

It's increasingly common

Overrated garbage that photographs well.

Basic white broads don't buy food to eat it, they buy it to put on Instagram and then purge into the toilet 20 minutes later.

I've been making macaroons for years.

If you've never had a macaroon, it's a coconut-covered meringue cookie, usually dipped in chocolate.

But now when I tell people I'm making macaroons, they look at the final product and become disappointed.

So fuck macarons.

Yeah I originally (when I first started seeing them everywhere) was thinking similar - expecting to see the little coconut piles and instead seeing these weird little cookies.

OP here - They taste good, don't get me wrong. But they are nearly $2 at most any place I've seen them and they are about the size of a Double Stuff Oreo. The texture is unique but I agree with the people saying it's mostly just for show. They are pretty but most of the taste seems to be in the cream filling.

A cake pop is - I'm assuming - most likely just cake center inside fondant. You are paying for nearly a slice of cake and getting no more than a bite or two. Why those are popular - aside from the aesthetic appeal - also escapes me.

Not your fault fucking idiots don't know the difference between the "oo" and "o" sound

i thought also it was bc theyre made with almond flour

How fitting, just bought some today and took a nice pic of it.

AMA

I'm fucking obsessed, just wish they were out of the ass expensive.

They are relatively easy to make, I look forward to learning how.

*weren't so out of the ass expensive

>disappointment

This. Was in a "French" style bakery that was pumping these things out like mad for years, tried one, it was a sad cookie.

That bakery has stopped churning them out, and this city sticks with trends until they die hard, so I think the fad has passed.

Got a good macaroon recipe? I love those things. Haven't seen them anywhere around here (deepest darkest Asia).

A cake pop is nothing more than cake blended with a mild tasting frosting until reaches a smooth, dough-like consistency on the end of stick with some form of coating.

So these things here ?

they taste like

crispy oreos

DALLOYAU's macaroon is tasty.
It certainly is sweet but elegant taste.
And very cute.
I want to eat It!

It's just small almond meringue sandwiches with some garbage cream. For the price of one you could get vastly superior confectionery, like a truffle.

Why do you make pictures of your food?

CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOONS, BLACK MACAROONS

I took the picture to leave a nice review on their website.

Next question.