Why are there so many options for spaghetti at supermarkets when they all use the same ingredients...

Why are there so many options for spaghetti at supermarkets when they all use the same ingredients? What brand do you buy?

Alfetra for the most part if I'm getting dry

I tried some storebrand walmart pasta before and it really is lower quality despite what people may claim. It like wouldn't get soft despite cooking it several minutes longer than what the directions state.

SInce then, I've stuck with Barilla.

Whatever I have a coupon for.

I don't for the most part -- I make my own. Which in turn helps me not eat an obscene amount of carbs

Catelli. They hired my nonna when they migrated here from Italy and spoke basically zero english so we are a pretty loyal Catelli family.

Delalo

de cecco is a bit better desu

I just get whichever's cheapest because I can't really tell the difference

Barilla usually

Sanitary conditions mostly. Most of the US made or even canadian made and mexican made brands are fine, but those 750g for a dollar brands like la moderna are trash, and you can taste it, and tell in how they cook.

I'm not a fan of long noodles like spaghetti and linguine. They're too difficult to eat without getting sauce on my beard.

Dececco is the best.

Barilla and Ronzoni are #2.

most of the others have completely smooth noodles and the sauce just slides off.

>Why are there so many options for spaghetti at supermarkets when they all use the same ingredients? What brand do you buy?
Brand loyalties. But, no, they're not all the same. Semolina flour is a bit rougher. The die plates they use to extrude and extract pasta shapes can vary too. Barilla and De Cecco are decent. If given the choice, like another user said, I like a rigate surface to hold the sauce in a clinging kind of way. Might find a unique shape or size in an import too.

Of course there is definitely a difference in fresh vs dried pastas.

Some of the cheaper brands can have a bit of a cardboard box flavor that gets picked up, and when you attempt to cook al dente, there's just some kind of quick processing that makes it go from uncooked to a bit mushier, without any al dente inbetween stage, and it loses some of that toothiness, which is where semolina is great, for being nuttier flavored and nicely al dente when you want it. It holds up way better in cold pasta salads too.

I get DeCecco since it's 9buckaroos for 7lbs at my GFS.

I only buy it because the rough surface from the brass dies.

Only ever had Barilla in my life.

>nonna

mexicans GTFO

>knowing what metal your pasta supplier uses in its tooling

Heinz

brass make rough surface on pasta

You've got to master the twirl

if you get dried just get the cheapest for the volume, they're all the same.

if you get fresh then it's a different story.

Really splitting hairs telling the difference between dried pastas. It should be recently made and in the shape you like. It doesn't matter, but if brand names make you feel better, the difference between 79 cents and $1.29 is so slight just go with the more expensive one if that puts your mind at ease. Cooking technique is what matters.
If its fresh pasta, or stuffed with filling like tortellini, ravioli, either refrigerated or frozen, then you will see more quality differences.

I can do it, but I end up getting annoyed and my food starts getting cold, so I just finely chop up all the noodles with my fork. I just don't understand the logic of long noodles. Rotini and penne are perfect for me.

Why do some pastas cook in the time on the box and others it takes longer? De Cecco it always matches al dente but when I sometimes try a more esoteric brand it is a crapshoot. Obviously not hard to just adjust cooking time but still...

de decco

Prince or Barilla.
ones better than the other but I can't remember which so I switch between them

how embarrassing for you

>everyone so far is literal retards

The correct answer is the cheapest pasta.

All pasta is cheap you literal EBT swiping poorfag.

>I'll waste money for literally no reason.

Pathetic. A fifty cent difference can net you a free pasta in as few as two pastas, when compared to buying pricier Versions.

You shouldn't eat so much pasta you fat poorfag.

Not buying monthly pasta supplies at once.

you're an idiot

I buy wholegrain spaghetti at Tesco