When's the last time you had a nice rich bowl of French onion soup?

When's the last time you had a nice rich bowl of French onion soup?

Never.

Well... you're missing out. You should consider getting one today.

Years ago. I don't really eat french food very often.
Like their cheese, wine, and croissants though.

Too long. It's one of my favorite meals.

French onion soup, like French fries, French toast, and French braids, is not French.

>French onion soup [...] is not French.
Hmmmm

>Onion soups have been popular at least as far back as Roman times. Throughout history, they were seen as food for poor people, as onions were plentiful and easy to grow. The modern version of this soup originates in Paris, France in the 18th century,[1][2]

Last time i made a prime rib roast, mid january i believe.

I've never had it

Looks kind of bland

This

October.
Was nice.

A few weeks ago when I made real onion soup, not that beef stock shit with onions in it.

Your pic has a container behind it. Was your prime rib rubbed in Old Bay? Hrm.

OP, I love onion soup. I haven't made it in ages, and often in restaurants, it can be such a subpar salty stock and not so flavorful cheese. I think right now though, it's warmed up enough where I live that I'm not in the soup mood. I like it as a comfy cold weather treat, mostly and it's definitely 87F daily here. I'd go for a cool bowl of gazpacho at this point! Just waiting a couple more weeks for some riper tomatoes.

/r/ing a recipe. I love onion soup but the typical french one just isn't filling as a main dish.

Not him, but I've made it occasionally.

I start by making a vegetable stock with mirepoix and shiitake and porcini mushrooms for a savory kick.

Meanwhile, I just put an absolute shit-ton of chopped up onions (like it fills the entire pot and then some, in the end we have like 1/4 that much broth) into a big pot, cover with the lid as soon as it cooks down enough to do so (removing to stir every ~10 minutes and more frequent toward the end), and cook it on low until the onions are a deep brown and caramelized.

Then deglaze the onions with some white wine, and dump in the (strained) vegetable stock. Let the whole thing simmer until the onions are basically dissolved, and don't salt until you're done simmering.

Put in a ramekin with a slice of cheese and broil.

Its was delicious, crust is tricolor pepper and rosemary.
Nah, that was one of the seasonings for the lobster.

what kind of cheese are you supposed to use on it anyway?

Velveeta

>french onion
>nice

When I was staying in Paris over the summer. Layer of melted cheese on the top. One of the best soups I've had.

I have made it 3-4 times but not recently

It's dirt cheap and delicious except for the 10 dollar bottle of dry vermouth that I end up drinking instead of saving to make more soup because I'm an alcoholic

I had it at a restaurant in Montmarte, didn't like it at all

gruyere or white cheddar are both good, mozz if you have to it will do the job

About 10 years ago when my oven's broiler kicked the bucket. The oven still works fine after 22 years but no broiling.

A very long time.
Unfortunatly the best part (cheesey bread top) is not somthing I can eat, lest I be striken with stomach cramps and diarrhea the next day.

I'll usually order some if I'm in a more upscale restaurant at the time.

pussy. my roommate is lactose intolerant and he eats a bowl of cereal every morning and i hate him

Disgusting
Like soggy onion pizza

two days ago, i make that shit all the time

Why are americans such fucking faggots? kill yourself you genetic failure

here's one i just made
what do you guys think?

Why do I never see this at restaurants anymore? Is it no longer fashionable?

Then explain why I found both french onion soup and french fries on a lot of restaurant menus in France. Although over there they just call them "onion soup" and "fries".

Restaurants are getting lazy, it takes 8 hours to cook the onions.

July 14, 2013. In a local, parisian café, in the 14. arrondissement.

About 2 weeks ago. God-tier stuff. Used a mix of sweet and yellow onions.

I've always wanted to try it but never seen it offered. Maybe I should just make it myself.

Gruyere with a bit of Parmesan.

What's French about it? The onions, or the soup?

The white of the cheese on top is the same as the white flag they wave when at war

Roughly two weeks ago at Applebee's paired with some dos equis dark

There's always a debate over whether "real" french-style onion soup used stock or just gets it's flavor from onions. People get ridiculously uptight about it. Well, here's my take on it. I was taught how to make onion soup by my mother, who attended Le Cordon Bleu back in the sixties, after she graduated from uni. She taught me to use a white consomme.
I also own three large, all-encompassing French cookbooks (plus others, but these are the go-tos when I need a definitive answer).
>Le Art Cullinaire Moderne (which was written by a prestigious director of Le Cordon Bleu, Henri-Paul Pelleprat) says to use brown stock
>Larousse Gastronomique says to use either white consomme or water
>La Cuisine de France (by the Countess de Toulouse-Lautrec) says to use water, plus either white wine or cognac.

That tells me that it's pretty much up to the chef making it. Which makes sense, as soups like onion were regional peasant food originally. I'd imagine the very poor used water, while when tradesmen and merchant households probably used water and wine or stock.

And now, since I've talked about it this much, I'm going to have to make some this week. Yum. It's been too long.

>>French onion soup [...] is not French.
>Hmmmm
>>Onion soups have been popular at least as far back as Roman times. Throughout history, they were seen as food for poor people, as onions were plentiful and easy to grow. The modern version of this soup originates in Paris, France in the 18th century,[1][2]
I hate when they don't admit you were right

New Year's Eve

Interesting. I'll take that info into consideration the next time I make french onion soup.

>he unironically uses Old Bay

Lmao kys fgt

>vegetable stock
I thought the traditional way was beef stock?

Gruyere usually works the best, although ive heard emmenthaler too