When cooking ground beef and onion, do I you add the onion before, after or at the same time as the meat?

When cooking ground beef and onion, do I you add the onion before, after or at the same time as the meat?

I'm making chili if it's any difference. It's my second time making it, I added them raw last time. Also should I cook the garlic as well or just throw in in the crock pot raw?

Beef first to get a good brown, then onions. Or you can do the onions in a separate pan then add them in. I would add in the garlic at a last step in the browning process, and don't cook it too long so it doesn't burn. Then transfer everything to the pot.

Onion first

beef first

T-thanks.

Beef is disgusting and stinky

I cook the beef, then scoop out the beef with a slotted spoon and cook the onions in the grease then mix the beef back in

no u

This is the only answer.

onions+garlic first
then add beef

always, fucking always do onions(+garlic) first, for other dishes aswell

Holy shit you guys are fucking retards. Add your onions first and then wait for them to brown before adding your beef.

This isn't a bad idea either

Garlic browns much faster than the onion.
Onion first, once it's almost to wherever you want it, add the garlic, brown, then add the beef

Cook A.
Remove A.
Cook B in A's juices.
Add A back in.

Same time if you don't want to fuck around with moving shit in and out of the pan.

>always, fucking always do onions(+garlic) first, for other dishes aswell
Completely unnecessary

Anyone who cooks their onions first likes grey colored boiled ground beef.

wrong. garlic will burn

I do onion first usually on a medium heat, then add beef and turn the heat up. Garlic last, like everyine says. learned that the hard way.

Onion first.
Don't forget to add sugar and butter.
When they're done put them in a bowl.

Using the same pan with all the oniony grease, cook your meat.
When it's "done" throw the onions back in, and carry on.

Brown beef first. You want it to brown. The caramelized beef will taste more flavorful through the chili. Take the meat out and put it in a bowl. Keep some of the oil in the pan to sauté onions. Wait till they taste softer and sweeter. If you take the time, it's way better than just boiling everything.

Maybe if they are afraid to apply copious amounts of fire, and dont use the correct size pan for the job. There is no reason you can't brown ground beef with onions n the pan first.

Do you sear steaks on top of onions?

Onions give off too much water that will evaporate and burn at the temps you need to brown/sear meat.

Both first, separately.
If one gives fat, cook first and use fats to cook other stuff.

Onion caramelize, they contain their own sugar. Beef browns via a Maillard reaction, not a caramelisation.
Also brown everything.

Or if they use a lot more onions (probably not for chilli, but can happen in other recipes.)

doesn't that mean putting the onions straight into the beef would work just as well, since the onion sugars will caramelize wherever they end up? or do you want them specifically on the onions for some reason

onions first, high heat

turn down heat a little, add garlic

add meat, turn up heat again

I brown the onion in the maint pot, before browning the beef in a frying pan and adding it.

Thanks for the replies but to be honest I'm still none the wiser.
Also how much should brown the meat? Should I brown it a bit and drain the fat, or brown thoroughly until all the liquid is gone and it crackles in the pan?

I'm using a slow cooker, I'm not sure it can brown onion.

Either way is fine, but whatever you do DO NOT add garlic to onions and then add in beef fat. It creates deadly Phosgene gas that will kill you.

DO NOT DO THIS.

what the fuck

bump

>Onion caramelize, they contain their own sugar. Beef browns via a Maillard reaction, not a caramelisation.
Could you be anymore of a pedantic faggot? Needless correction.

OP just saute onions on med-low while you're browning your beef on high. When onions are translucent, add garlic until fragrant. Then add to your beef. Not hard.

Whatever you do OP don't listen to this guy

I always do onions thene garlic then beef but my dad always did garlic then onions then beef.

Cook finely chopped and seasoned onions until they start to turn clear, keep stirring so they don't burn. Add ground beef and more seasoning, keep stirring until it's all brown, breaking up the beef with spoon. Add your dolmios sauce and 3 tablespoons sugar.

>I'm using a slow cooker

Faggot, go fuck off to epicurious

>wanting food quickly
>2017

Onion first imo. If onion is included in a dish it goes first, generally. But I doubt it matters much.

Slow cooker cooking isn't even really cooking. It's just throwing a bunch of shit in an appliance and turning it on. Not knocking it if it's what you got to use but there's literally no advice to be given. You put your beef and onions in and you just have a boiled onion beef slop

haha
a
h
a
?

When making chili, I boil the ground beef first to break up the meat into a smooth texture, then I strain it out, cool the broth in the fridge and separate the rendered tallow. Then I saute the onions, peppers, and beef separately in the tallow. The textural improvement from boiling ground beef is worth the extra steps.

I'd probably deeply brown at least a quarter of the ground beef for that deep flavor though.

You can brown it after boiling it, you just need to drain it well. This is essentially the "reverse sear" method but with boiling instead of roasting.

onion first, then push it to the sides and dump the meat in the middle
wa-la

You're sweating onions in this case, not sauteeing, so it is fine to add them afterwards for convenience sakes without removing food and cooking in batches.

When I make chili, I use sirloin or very lean beef so I don't have to drain rendered fat, but if you are using chuck, you should do the beef first, remove with a slotted spoon as another said, and remove all but 1 teaspoon of fat from the pan, and sweat the onions in that. My mom adds celery to her chili in this step too (I don't), but I do add a couple poblano or bell peppers diced right before the onion actually. Add the beef back in and then add my tomatoes, cumin, garlic, dried chili slurry (soak ancho, california, guajillo peppers and puree) to the pot, bring to low boil, reduce to simmer and wait 25 minutes before the beans go in, so I don't need to watch my beans as much, or I transfer to the crock pot. Sometimes I make chili the day before, just because it needs the overnight factor to be truly good.

I don't see the point of this.

When you boil the meat you aren't browning it. Yeah, you can try and brown it afterwards, but that's 1) more work, and 2) doesn't brown as effectively as doing it from raw.

As for the texture, you get that from simmering your chili low and slow for hours.

OP here, if anyone cares I put the mince in first on high heat to give it a quick sear and then threw in the onion and cooked until there was almost no liquid in the pan.
In any case it came out way better than the first time I made it. I was scared of adding a lot of chili powder last time, but turns out it's not very spicy at all.

I cook the meat and onions in a pan before moving them to the slow cooker, I'm not a monster.

>ensuring you get no browning/caramelisation on the beef
It's like you hate flavor.

>Beef browns via a Maillard reaction, not a caramelisation.
Yes, not at a sufficiently low temperature for cooking onions though. At the temperature needed to properly brown beef, onions will burn.

So you don't own a frying pan? If you are using your slow cooker and nothing else then it doesn't bear thinking about, your stew will end up mediocre whichever way you do it.

I cook the beef first. Then remove it from the pot and cook the onions afterwards.

This way the moisture from the raw onions deglazes the fond left behind from browning the beef.

Beef until almost brown then add the onions.

Two different processes, two different results.
If you add onion first, you won't be able to brown beef without burning the onion.
If you add beef first, you won't be able to brown onion at all (judging on your pic proportion of beef to onion).

Onions wont burn if you mix up the beef/turn down the heat.

>turn down the heat.
Yup, that's how you sear meat, in a cold pan.

>ensuring you get no browning/caramelization on the beef

and yet, my beef always successfully browns/caramelizes.
>It's like you expect your lie to just be ignored

It will sear.

not before it's overcooked.

I do beef first. Then put aside. Then do onions till soft when almost done add garlic and other spices. Then add beef back and throw everything else in. Tomatoes last. Pic related

/r/equesting somebody debunks this meme.

I add my fucking onions at the same time and it doesn't burn.

Overcooked is sort of irrelevant given that OP is taking about making chili.

Turning down the heat doesnt not mean a cold pan...just take it from a high heat level of heat to a medium level.

>he liked dried out crumbled meat.

exquisite taste m8!