Anyone tried mole?

Anyone tried mole?
Those pestering, little critters are destroying our garden.
So why not eat them?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mole_(animal)#Meat
ediblegeography.com/mole-jerky/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Stew them in Mole sauce

Deliver OP.

Where do you live?

THIS

People do eat gophers and prairie dogs; a mole would probably be similar.

The main issue would probably be lack of meat; they don't have a great deal of lean mass. You'd have to do a fair amount of prep for what amounts to a marginal quantity of food.

If you read accounts of people who ate rats (due to famine, etc.) the main complaint isn't the flavor, but the effort involved in prepping them relative to the reward.

that mole is qt

I would imagine most garden moles would be quite meaty though.

Moles are pretty cute

They're also amazingly fucking destructive for how small they are. Fuckers collapsed my shed last year. I don't even know.

You probably didn't anchor it properly or had not foundation

They're amazingly soft

Serve with quacamole

>So why not eat them?
Probably because they're pretty much like rats.

Now that we're discussing it, another pest-like animal I think that would actually be good for eating is pigeon. The main reason they aren't bred for meat is that they fly and therefore are more prone to escape than non-flying poultry. They're not inherently harmful to humans, the only reason they're illness transmitters is because they feed of trash humans leave on the streets, something that farm pigeons wouldn't be allowed to do. As a matter of fact, in many countries people eat them, i some because of poverty but in other regarding it as a delicatessen.

Every photo of a mole you see above ground is dead.

Eating the ordinary pigeons in a big city would be akin to many people as eating sewer rats. Wood pigeons on the other hand are quite tasty.

I've had them served in red chile sauce and spanish rice. My grandma raises them in her farm and cooks them once in a while. Pretty much a smaller cornish hen, not too much meat.

How are you even supposed to get ahold of one, let alone have more than an ounce of meat when you are done preparing it?

My grandpa used to sit out on the porch relaxing with a cigar and a glass of bourbon. He had a shotgun sitting next to him. When one of the little bastards stuck its head above ground (which happens every once in a while when they burrow) he'd blast it. But that would be a very inefficient method of getting meat. And frankly I'm sure you could buy more meat for the cost of the shell than you'd get from a mole.

A more practical means would be pic related. It's a mole trap. You stick it in their tunnel and when the mole goes through it gets crushed. You can then retrieve the trap with the dead mole in its jaws.

Came here to post this XD

Have an upvote you beautiful gentle sirs!

i don't trust it. Cats don't eat them for some reason. Something about glands they have.

I sometimes imagine being a mole, happily digging a tunnel through the earth. Then I'll suddenly dig through a cliff face and plummet to my death, fml.

I advise asking /out/ /an/ and /k/
The bushcrafters on /out/ maybe have eaten it already
The hunters on /k/ eat most shit
/an/ is generally pretty good at saying whether or not something is dangerous.

Just FYI I know one user on /k/ got leprosy from eating armadillo

Sounds comfy. I'm down with shooting pests.

They're considered inedible.

Found a dead mole in my garden a few years ago.
Even my dog wouldn't eat it.
That tells me something right there.

Op here. I just remembered I saw a tv show, where these two guys made mole, even fried those little paws for a snack. Can't remember if they liked it.

I haven't done it but every animal that lives in dirt and eats worms covered in dirt is probably going to taste like dirt...

Welp, looks like I am right...

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mole_(animal)#Meat

>William Buckland, known for eating every animal he could, opined that mole meat tastes vile

Marinade
1 tablespoon soy sauce
2 teaspoons Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
1 pound boneless, skinless, moles cut into 1-inch cubes
Sauce
1 tablespoon Chinese black vinegar, or substitute good-quality balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon hoisin sauce
1 teaspoon sesame oil
2 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon ground Sichuan pepper
2 tablespoons peanut or vegetable oil
8 to 10 dried red chilies
3 scallions, white and green parts separated, thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon minced or grated fresh ginger
1/4 cup unsalted dry-roasted peanuts

Preparation
1. Marinate the moles: In a medium bowl, stir together the soy sauce, rice wine, and cornstarch until the cornstarch is dissolved.
Add the moles and stir gently to coat. Let stand at room temperature for 10 minutes.
2. Prepare the sauce: In another bowl, combine the black vinegar, soy sauce, hoisin sauce, sesame oil, sugar, cornstarch, and Sichuan pepper.
Stir until the sugar and cornstarch are dissolved and set aside.
3. You may need to turn on your stove's exhaust fan, because stir-frying dried chilies on high heat can get a little smoky. Heat a wok or
large skillet over high heat until a bead of water sizzles and evaporates on contact. Add the peanut oil and swirl to coat the base. Add the
chilies and stir-fry for about 30 seconds, or until the chilies have just begun to blacken and the oil is slightly fragrant. Add the moles and stir-fry
until no longer pink, 2 to 3 minutes.
4. Add the scallion whites, garlic, and ginger and stir-fry for about 30 seconds. Pour in the sauce and mix to coat the other ingredients. Stir in the
peanuts and cook for another 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer to a serving plate, sprinkle the scallion greens on top, and serve.

Mole and bluebottle flies were the not things that he considered to be unfit for consumption.

So use them in stock or soup

cook in molé

We do, you've never heard of squab?

Just letting you know this site would be a better place if you never posted again, please and thank you

I know this is Veeky Forums and all, but I question the quality of a mole meat. If anything, I'd use the entrails for sport fishing.

This. My dog eats everything but we found a freshly dead mole "sleeping" on the sidewalk and she actually avoided it outright.

ediblegeography.com/mole-jerky/

Has eaten nearly everything (even bat piss) but said mole meat is unfit for human consumption.