Anyone ever work in a restaurant?

got hired as a dishwasher on friday and quit today. that is probably the most mindless and soul sucking job ive ever worked. same goes for bussers, servers, cooks, how the fuck do people willingly work those shit jobs considering the hours, the pay, and the workload? i honestly don't feel inclined to eat at restaurants much more...

Bartender>>server>>>>>>>>>>host>>>barback>cook>>prep cook>>>>dishwasher>busboy

t. worked many restraurant jobs. Bussers are literally seen as subhumans at least dishwashers can hide and listen to music bussers have to interact with people but only make a fraction of what servers make

Definitely depends on the job and even then it's not for everybody. I'm the bar manager at a fine dining place and I love it. Money's solid too

actually this

as a dishwasher i was able to listen to audiobooks, but the caveat is staying 3 hours after closing with a huge fucking pile of dishes

spoken like a true foh snob

bartender > server > host > management > bus > cooks > preps > dishwasher

busboys at least get tipshare.

I worked in a prep kitchen before. It was okay. Shit pay and not enough hours but I had fun most days. The problem is foh is competely delusional with how much better they have it.

Would hate to be a dishwasher though.

>busboys at least get tipshare
We get the scraps and in alot of these places we barely break minimum wage while the servers walk home with 200 bucks after having the runner and bussers do most of the work. Facts

well if you're in a real state that pays its foh less than min. wage that's different.

where i live foh gets minimum wage + extra to be competitive + tips

>that guy that tries to order food off the busboy
Pls dont be this retarded

good for you. I'm like the other user, I would average 6.00$ when the minimum in AZ was 8.50 before taxes obviously. worst job ever. it should only be available to high schoolers.

People only do it because management promises if they do it for x amount of months they will be promoted to server but it never fucking happeneds. Its basically bait for ugly guys and ill eagles

I was a busboy for a few months back when I was younger. I really hate being around people and making small talk to coworkers, so it was a nightmare, especially when we were slow. I just stopped showing up one day

I bussed in high school and first year of college. Wasn't that bad. I'm kind of a splerg so I had no patience dealing with customers/managers/bartenders/cooks. As a busser you just cleaned tables. Some nights I made more than servers because you would help the bar out for an extra hour and get some good $.

>Some nights I made more than servers
Lol bullshit. This is like when millionaires claim that people on foodstamps eat better than them. If you made half of what the servers make youre lucky

Your parents raised you wrong.
There's nothing wrong with hard work. I'm an engineer who earns a six figure salary NOW, but guess what my first job was (at 14, under the table) a DISHWASHER. Everyone has to start somewhere, guy.

>Lol bullshit.

Uh, no stupid. If a servers made lets say $100, I would make around $70. And if the bar was busy and the bartender asked you to help out, they would throw you anywhere from $40 to $60 (depending on the bartender).

Where did you work? Last place where i was i made 50 a night on average and the servers made 200-300 depending

This was back in '99 to around '04, but it was a just your typical bar/pub restaurant. $100 for a server was a "typical" night, but they made around $150 to $200 on Fri, Sat, and Sunday.

And as I said, the bar put the busser over the top on some nights. Normally it used to be 2 (on weekends 3) lazy bitches behind the bar and technically it was there job to restock all the beers and move kegs into the cooler at the end of their shift. But as I said they were fucking lazy so they had no problem giving the busser $20 to $30 each to do all this shit (took about an hour tops). So sometimes you'd make $90 for an hours worth of work, on top of your regular floor pay as a busser.

im not a wagecuck. im about to transfer to a top tier uni through working at good grades. ive also held other jobs prior to dishwashing. my dad, who is a business owner himself, congratulated me on quitting, as he too realized how shit the job was.

this
The bartenders always make the most. They gotta do quite a bit of work depending on the bar, but the tips you get from drunks are always super good.
Servers and host are rolling in a decent amount of cash too for the small amount of work they do. serving people is hard when you first get started, but after a couple of days to a week anybody can be a competent server provided they lack autism
Management at a lot of the restaurants I've worked at had pretty good salaries but had to do a lot of tedious shitty work, but nothing compared to BOH
Bus boys get tips too so they are still leagues above the BOH as far as I'm concerned
Cooks & prep cooks often don't make much more than minimum wage and sweat behind the line for a nice 10-12 hours and then clock out to clean so they don't cost the restaurant overtime
Dishwashers at most places make like 3 bucks an hour so they can send their family in mexico money. I've never seen a white dishwasher except for when a spic got fired and we had to do dishes off the clock ourselves

>ive never seen a white dishwasher
>tfw was a dishwasher for over a year

I'm a barback right now.

I absolutely hate it but they keep bartending in front of me like a carrot on a stick. I might quit soon.

How much do the bartenders make a night where you work?

They do that with bussers do. Which is funny because most servers i talk to are women or chads that never had to bus before serving

Then your dad is a wackadoo.
The only reason to quit a job is if you get a better one, you can't do the job, or your employer or manager is a fucking shit. You (and your dad) come from fairyland.
>special snowflake can't do simple tasks to earn money without feeling "burdened", daddy tells him it's okay to quit
>mfw

this bitch is a sociopath no doubt

literally got paid $11 to wash dishes. granted there was only 4 of us, and there were 600 people a night

Good goy. Get exploited by (((corprate))) because muh werk ethic

lmao, mad that privileged kid younger than him is going to experience a better quality of life. stop being a faggot, that's not how the world works.

A lot. I don't know how much they take home on a nightly basis but their base salary is lower than ours because they make a killing in tips. Once I factor in tips I typically make about 15 bucks an hour. So the Bartenders are rolling in it.

One of the barbacks worked out in the prairies during the oilboom and he said one of the bartenders was making the same amount of money as he was, which is a lot.

Yeah it pisses me off, and I know for a fact if one of the servers asked to be a bartender they'd just give it to her no questions asked while I bust my ass and get zero respect.

Dunno about that. I make 6 figures as a software dev and I've quit plenty of jobs just because I could. The idea that spending your free time watching the clock for a few bucks builds character is complete bs.

> (OP)
>Your parents raised you wrong.
>There's nothing wrong with hard work. I'm an engineer who earns a six figure salary NOW, but guess what my first job was (at 14, under the table) a DISHWASHER. Everyone has to start somewhere, guy.
This. A job worth doing is a job worth doing well. It's a very important job, and can make or break a restaurant, if dishes are amazingly clean, cookware always ready. I eat anywhere once, but where I notice the dishes or silverware aren't squeaky clean, and can't be replaced with clean options, I'm never going back. This is a back breaking job, likely, because I don't love doing dishes at home, so if you are out of shape in the gut it'd be worse, but it doesn't require a brain, good looks, charisma, or anything a fresh immigrant might not manage front of house. A loner who wants to be left alone, headphones on, just there for his paycheck might even enjoy it. I have done dishes in a laboratory, as part of my daily job, drilled out metal memory in machines with a long handled drill bit, smelled sulphurous gas, gotten molten burns from liquid nitrogen, lithium carbide, and had charcoal lung much like a miner would. Not all jobs are "dirty jobs" for high pay, but I don't think some jobs are meant to be careers. It could certainly be a proving ground for kitchen staffers, maybe even a rotation duty just to ensure cross-training.

It's really obvious you have no idea how the world works, because you lack any character whatsoever.

Again, zero character. Being able to walk into any job you don't deem beneath you only gives you a false sense of security and lack of understanding. You have lack of values.

>muh moral superiority

have fun cuck

>A lot.

Gotcha, but "a lot" varies. One of the bartenders at a place I go to says he makes around $300 on a good night. Whereas at another place where a friend of mine works (a few miles away) they make $400-$500 on a good night.

>Yeah it pisses me off, and I know for a fact if one of the servers asked to be a bartender they'd just give it to her no questions asked while I bust my ass and get zero respect.
Owners/management will almost always put a girl behind the bar before a guy, just the way it is. One thing you can do is to try and learn the drinks (if you don't already) and most importantly learn the POS system. Servers already know the system so in the owners mind it's a natural transition. You should try and grab a couple of server shifts for the sole purpose of learning the computer.

>Gotcha, but "a lot" varies. One of the bartenders at a place I go to says he makes around $300 on a good night. Whereas at another place where a friend of mine works (a few miles away) they make $400-$500 on a good night.

Yeah, thats why I said I don't know.

>Owners/management will almost always put a girl behind the bar before a guy, just the way it is. One thing you can do is to try and learn the drinks (if you don't already) and most importantly learn the POS system. Servers already know the system so in the owners mind it's a natural transition. You should try and grab a couple of server shifts for the sole purpose of learning the computer.

I know most of the drinks and I have two bartending certificates. I can't get a server shift because it isn't run that way.

I only wanted to bartend because it seemed like a good way to make money while I'm in school, but honestly I'm so sick of bars I don't really care anymore.

You can't be serious, you really think you can judge someone based on whether they've quit some jobs in the past. The whole point of shit jobs is that they aren't permanent

>I can't get a server shift because it isn't run that way.

? You mean if you went to the manager and said "can I have a server shift?" they would say "no"? Why?

Well there's a plethora of reasons, but the big one is they only let girls serve.

No, but I can judge someone who walks out of a shit job just because "wahhhh, I don't like it" when they don't have anything else already in line.

>a few months back
>when I was younger

You dont live forever you fucking faggot. Dont waste your time if you fucking hate the job get something a little better

I work as a customer service rep/sticker poster/pizza cutter for Dominos. Senior in high school. I've made $7.25 an hour for a year with the promise of getting a raise once I learn how to make pizzas. The thing is, I now know how to make pizzas and do it regularly, but they prefer to have me up front answering phones when I've been here all this time and they won't give me a raise. It's really infuriating

hopefully this teaches you to not become a wagecuck in the future. be sure to get an education user

kek realized that after I posted. What I mean is I lasted in the job for a few months. It was almost 10 years ago

I work as a line cook, it's bitch work slave labor for $9 an hour but with the right coworkers, everything flows effortlessly and work doesn't feel like work when we're all helping eachother.

Also the head chef lets us load up on food, anything I want all day every day. Still don't like the job because the majority of coworkers are fucksticks that can't put in real work without crying.

Working as a line cook with being bros with the bartender makes for easy shifts. I always treat bussers and dishwashers with respect, most underrated niggas in the building desu.

Got a really nice job offer from someone I used to train, way better hours, benefits and pay is retard good.

>this is what losers really think

Enjoy your shitty life. Do you even know how bad it looks to employers to have too many jobs in too little time on your resume? Or to have too many gaps between jobs?

Wow you really are a good little sheep aren't you. I guess the machine needs cogs like you that just turn predictably. I have gaps all over my resume and had multiple offers before I graduated

I'm sure that pizza delivery/burger flipping job are going to land you those high profile jobs, user.

Annie used to be so hot now she looks like a troll. :^{

hey faggot, i will find you and beat you

what are your dreams and goals? would you say you are fulfilling them?

>character
>zero character
maximum autism

how hard is dishwashing, really

i worked in a metal shop lugging around 100lb slabs for barely over minimum wage, dishwashing seems comfy in comparison

I worked in McDonalds for several years and they was the best time of my life. I learned so much from the world class chefs who taught me how to make the greatest chicken sandwiches in the world.

>quitting a job after one weekend
what's it like being a pussy? do you still live with your parents? are you even old enough to post here?

is this your attempt at being funny? kill yourself

Immaculate example of someone who lacks character.

This. You develop a sense of camaraderie cooking through dinner rushes with your bros, then when the shift is over knock back a few drinks with em. The weak will weed themselves out, and you become part of an indispensable team. The suffering is strangely satisfying if you're suffering together.

Yes, I do a little bit with food like prep, make pastries, carve meat, GM, etc.. But mainly wash dishes and clean the kitchen up. Pretty much whatever the chefs and cooks don't wanna do. Not bad pay for an as needed employee. I work as much as a part time. I like my job there until I get through college. Working in a hot kitchen builds character and teaches you how to work well under pressure. Especially if you work in a ritzy place where everything needs to be perfect all the time. And user, good luck at your job. You will do well and just stick through it for now and don't be a pussy. I know an old man who washed dishes at the same place for 9 fucking years.

spoken like people who have never cooked and have only waited tables. act like cooks aren't basically directly beneath management. tards

All the jobs in this thread sound like utter shit.

>cooks directly beneath management

Fucking hilarious. Tell me more about this makebelieve land...

I was a server. Worst job in my life. No training. Horrible boss who blamed everyone for his own problems. Bad pay. Customers didn't tip. Sexual harassment every day. No work schedule. No food, water or toilet breaks. And to top it off my boss spread rumors that I got fired for bad behaviour after I quit.

Never working in a resturant again.

>barback worse than host
what kind of place did you work that being a host was better than being a barback?
Other than that I agree with the list.

Most of what you said is illegal and you won't find anyone who will work without pay. If I had to clock out to clean then nothing in the kitchen would be cleaned.

i have never waited my entire life you idiot

I work in the gastronomy & i did many things in different restaurants. you know what this is all about? self sacrifice & passion

Some people don't need intellectual stimulation, they just trudge along and do the same thing day after day.

I bet you're still waiting to misplace your EVOO aka lose your virginity aka get ya dick wet amirite???

Dish washing is one of the most chill jobs in a restaurant. Keep a steady pace and you are golden. We don't have dedicated dishwashers where I work so everyone in BOH and ownership hop on when it needs done.

> how the fuck do people willingly work those shit jobs considering the hours, the pay, and the workload?

Mom and pop places don't have heaps of corporate bullshit to deal with. You work with tons of batshit insane people who make the job fun. Some of us enjoy murdering a weekend dinner rush.

>and then clock out to clean so they don't cost the restaurant overtime

How cucked do you have to be to EVER do this.

I would quit the moment that chef/management suggested this.

>projecting this hard
I lost my virginity in high school. When you're suppose to lose it. kys

Quit? I would submit a complaint to the Department of Labor and start the lawsuit. That is completely illegal

You really have to need the money to stick with dishwashing. I did it for awhile and when it became clear I wasn't getting moved to cook I quit with zero notice. Went on to learn semi fine dining and it was hard as fuck for awhile
But once you learn the station and how to work quickly and cleanly with a knife you're golden.

I watch YouTube videos of famous cooks doing normal knife work and the comments are full of people being amazed and impressed by their knife skills and I'm sitting there going nigga you need to learn that shit of you want to have any success as a line cook or even just doing straight prep work. Once you figure out how to prep 6 hrs of work in 3 hours you're golden. It takes a special kind of person to cook and you obviously weren't cut out for it, don't blame yourself. I just really wanted to learn how to cook. But I knew the whole time it was way too much work for shit pay. But the techniques, knife skills, and recipies i learned are invaluable. I'm a much better cook than any of the hacks that post here lol. That idiot doing the sous vide rib steak yesterday re affirmed my belief most people know fuck all about cooking. I can make An amazing meal out of $5 of vegetables and a variety of spices that would be far more rewarding to cook and eat than any idiot with a $40 steak. Learning to cook removes that illusion that money = good food. The best meals I've ever had have been at hole in the wall restaraunts versus high end places I've worked at.

It's also mad bullsht how inept servers make far more than kitchen staff. It's so backwards. I fuckin hate stupid servers. They let the food go cold, fuck up orders and the kitchen gets blamed

Holy shit I never go on Veeky Forums and walking into this thread feels the same as passing those hobos on the street on my way to uni.

>Everyone has to start somewhere
So you're telling me being a dishwasher was integral experience to you being an engineer? Not the schooling and internships? As if some employer would look at your resume and say "sorry, user, but the experience isn't here. Everything else is great but if you don't have any experience washing dishes, driving a garbage truck, or doing manual labor we have no place for you."?

Busboy>>host>>chef(sushi)>>barback>>bartender>>sandwhich maker

Its always bout making it enjoyable in your own way. Jobs are hard to come by nowadays even if they do suck.

Hosts are basically paid to be attractive girls. They dont actually do shit. While bar backing is manual labor for 12 hours

Working in an office is actually worse.

Did both.

I know right? I've washed dishes and cooked and I don't look down on anyone for quitting a dishwashing job. Especially at some ragtag kitchens with poor setups. It's a hard, dirty, stinky job, but I wanted to eventually be a line cook
And I enjoyed
Just doing my own thing

One thing that bothered me
The most though was when the cooks (who weren't even that great of cooks, I later learned when I became a good cook myself) would treat me bad and not make me good food to eat. Like, I'm busting my ass washing dishes and cleaning up servers lazy crap (learn to stack dishes morons) and the Damn cooks can't throw a fucking burger or cheaper steak on the grill for me when it slows down? Shit pissed me off sometimes. Or once I came in and some passive aggressive fsggot during the day had found a dirty pan that was put back (by a cook that hopped in pit while I was cleaning the bathroom!!!) with a "what the fuck is this this is bullshit!!" Sign posted to it. Instead of simply washing it and telling me to be more Careful some daytime prick chose to insult me and degrade me.

The funniest part is they all treated me like a clueless underclass when i worked
Dish, i got sick of their shit and quit, got hired to cook at a high end golf club and then moved onto better menus and became a better cook than those morons were

They all went to culinary achool too lol. I learned more than you would
Working 6 months at my first cooking gig than those idiots did in two years of school.
For anyone thinking of culinary school, don't. Save the money. Start from
The bottom in as kitchen as dish at a place with a good menu and competent chef who LOVES food and treats ingredients with respect, and work fast, in slow times help prep basics, try to pick up a shift here and there doing salads and prep, and eventually a spot doing full time prep will open up. Then learn all the recipies and how to work quickly and safely with a good knife

I always hooked up the bussers and barbacks with food. In return they'd bring me an endless supply of redbull from the bar. Was a nice trade off.

tits or gtfo, slag

Why dont you try it out then? I started out dishwashing before I became a line cook and went home with steam burns every night.

Because that's a job for teenagers that want the money.

Eventually someone will Be sick or miss a shift or need your help on line dual action on one station...show them what you are capabale of.

When all is said and done, if you don't absolutely respect and adore food and value quality ingredients and especially if you have a garbage palate and eat trash junk food all day, don't bother.
I've worked with so many people who only cooked because it's an easily attainable job with a bad employment
Or criminal record. These
Ppl were the worst fucksticks...

I am reminded so much of the cooks that I worked with and under at shitty pubs who would talk down to me and test me like an idiot ..

I walked out during dinner rush at this trash but popular pub because the cunt ordering me around on the station wnates me to wash off with water the wrong deep fried rib lung BBQ sauce and refry it and put the correct
Sauce on it. I said that's disgusting I'll just make a new one and she said that's not how we do it here; the realization of the low standards of the place
Fully dawned on me at that point and I walked out

They all thought I was an idiot cuz I didn't know how to make their shitty food yet I went on to work at much more quality places. Imagine going from doing deep fried garbage appies & garbage tier vacuum sealed steaks to a place
That got daily
Deliveries of organic heirloom produce, big sides of AAA beef we would have to trim and chop into steaks, handmade salsas and etc. I learned so much after that
washing dishes can be meditative and far more relaxing and fulfilling than being a fuckin cubicle cuck . I came up with lots of creative ideas in the dishpit

user, if you can't handle the heat, stay out of the intergalactic solar flare blachole ass fuck

I could deal with the hours and the workload.

But I just can't deal with the filth. The dirty floors, counters, bathrooms, the smell of grease that follows you home, the noise, the sweat. And this is why I don't like eating at restaurants anymore.

I was a dishwasher at OCB, IHOP, and a smaller local chain. First one was all right but busy (but busy is good, you think about shit less at work and the bosses are also too busy to micromanage you or fuck you over on scheduling), IHOP was fucking terrible and taught me never to trust managers, third one was not that bad. The owner was a huge cheapskate and eventually paychecks started bouncing lol.

Guarantee you this cuck voted for bernie sanders and hillary

you will in the area I live. Sure you could fight it, but you'd be gone and replaced in an instant and nobody would give a fuck. There are practically no openings for work in kitchens either because it's so saturated that you'll be jobless for a while too.

>I've made $7.25 an hour for a year with the promise of getting a raise

I don't mean to come off sounding like a dick, but are wages really so low in the U.S? In Canada, the minimum wage is at least $10/hr in every province and territory, with some places being higher that $10. Granted, the cost of living is a bit higher here, but the thought of being paid $7.25/hr somewhat chills my bones.

I used to work as a line cook at a local restaurant. I'd wash dishes when necessary, but otherwise we'd hire high school boys to be dishwashers and high school girls to be bussers. Made for an awkward hormonal situation.

But we had a pretty well-oiled machine. I learned a helluva lot about cooking during my time there (little previous experience) and I enjoyed the comraderie.

Now I'm a white collar professional, but I still look back on my time there fondly.

>Cost of living is 25% more in Canada
>Literally equal pay as far as purchasing power

of course it's a retarded leaf.

Bump

Used to do bartender, barback, server, host, and dishwasher at an earls it was actually pretty fun until my fucking autism got me fired.

Things are more expensive in Canada

I cook food

Calm down, nigger. It was a simple question.

>a cuck is someone that doesn't work a low skill, low paying job and doesn't submit to the authority of retards

wew lad