Vegetarianism-lite

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I saw a huge improvement in my well being when I stopped eating large amounts of meat.

For the last month and a half I've had a few cups of milk a day, and about 2 oz chicken, the rest vegetarian and I feel fantastic. I also ate shellfish occasionally.

My meat cravings are less intense, I don't crave oily fatty foods, I can concentrate and think better, consistently high energy, better mood, better sexual function, self control, etc.

My staples are bananas, potatoes, beans, eggs, and milk, with a very small portion of chicken every day. I used to eat about 1.5 pounds of meat a day.

I'd like to hear others' experiences on transitioning to a vegetarian/vegan/less meat diet.

>I used to eat about 1.5 pounds of meat a day.

no wonder you felt like shit you fat fuck

are you fucking retarded? your "Vegetarianism-lite" is just a regular persons eating habits

>your "Vegetarianism-lite" is just a regular persons eating habits

I refuse to believe that the average person eats only 2 ounces of meat a day. That's gotta be in the 5th percentile of meat consumption for the US.

>I'd like to hear others' experiences on transitioning to a vegetarian/vegan/less meat diet.
See, I was homeless for a while, couldn't afford as much meat as before.
I felt miserable and hungry all the time. Now I'm back to what it was like before and I feel fantastic.

>I saw a huge improvement in my well being when I stopped eating large amounts of meat.

You've just said it. It's not the meat itself causing the problem, it's the amount you consume

Also, is correct

tell us about the foods you ate while homeless

My friend is vegan but eats meat or dairy occasionally. It's just not a part of his regular diet. And yes, he catches fucking HELL for it if other vegans find out, but he's not a cunt, so it's nothing on him. Good on you, Opie. Nothing wrong with reducing your meat intake.

Eh, not much to say, really. When I still didn't have any income it was the cheapest bread with the cheapest cold cuts. Cheapest tinned baked beans.
From soup runs it was mostly the cheapest tinned soups you can find (but at least hot) and "sandwiches" made with horrendous buns/bread and a single layer of "cheese" and a thin slice of ham.
Occasionally pasta or rice with potatoes, sauce and various bits of meat at a local soup kitchen.
Sometimes volunteers handed out hot food like stew, casseroles, pies - until another group of volunteers started sperging out that it was their turf and basically chased them away.

I will admit though that I did somewhat exaggerate with the always hungry remark. It wasn't that bad.

I am doing the same thing. I basically have some eggs regularly and maybe some fish If it's affordable, otherwise I replace my meat meals with vegetable style Indian saabji with rice and a protein shake. It's fun cooking all different kinds of veg with Indian spices and it usually tastes and looks pretty Damn good. I cooked eggplant for the first time yesterday!! I feel much healthier and I've already lost weight. Also kicked a nasty intestinal infection that I had for months! I also started snacking on fruit and yogurt instead of chips and junk food. after I find a suitable vegan protein powder or high quality whey I will switch to zero meat for awhile, maybe a couple pounds of grass fed beef a week tops and a few eggs a day for choline and vitamins

>1.5lbs of meat a day
What the fuck. We're you eating steak 3 times a day? That's far beyond the amount your average meat-eater consumes.

Average person DOES eat too much meat, it is a fact.
In the year 2016 the average meat consumption was around 79kg(Finland), the actual number is larger because of vegetarians and children.

It's wasteful, and as can be seen from the ever growing obese population, complete waste of energy on people that do not use it to do anything useful.

I am NOT saying that everyone should become a vegan or some shit, but eating too much meat has health and environmental problems. I prefer to buy better meat less often.

It's juts a correlation.

People who are health minded usually adopt numerous health minded activities, thoughts, and practices.

Sort of like how Vitamin Supplements don't do shit for you, but people who take them are more healthy. It's not the Vitamins, it's that they also probably eat right, exercise, get enough sleep; etc...

I was a Veeky Forumsizen meathead who ate a lot of meat but got a little sick of it two Novembers ago so now i'm similar to OP, where I eat meat on occasion but I don't eat it on most days (which, contrary to what some people might argue, is not how most Americans eat).

It was a bit of a transition at first, as when you go from eating a lot of meat to not eating meat you lose that feeling of fullness and satiety, but now when i eat a lot of meat I just feel fuckin gross. I really truly find more pleasure in vegetables now, and I'm like, super amped for farmers' markets and I can't wait for spring produce. I haven't gained or lost any weight in particular outside of deliberate calorie counting, but I definitely feel better. The nice thing is i'm getting really excellent at cooking vegetables which is more rewarding and culinarily interesting than Le Perfect Kenji Reverse Sear type bullshit. Lucky Peach's Power vegetables has been a great resource, as has April Bloomfield's a Girl and her Greens and the ATK vegetarian cookbook.

That being said, my sous vide is gathering a lot of dust, and every time I do cook meat for my fiance or friends, I'm reminded at how those skills are going to waste. I still do a turkey and stuff for thanksgiving/steak for valentine's day, and i'll probably do some bbq for friends over the summer, but I highly recommending reducing the amount of meat you eat drastically so those special occasions are more special.

nice blog, but yeah we seriously eat far too much meat. right now in murkastronk at least the standard is about 8oz of meat with every meal, and that's just ridiculous. and people also don't adjust which is their largest meal of the day according to their lifestyle, which is also a bad thing

>meat makes you obese
kek

You know what makes people obese? SUGAR. I can't wait until the high fructose corn syrup jew gets exposed. Everyone blaming meat for obesity while chugging down a 16oz bottle of coke with a candy bar on the side.

the only meat I ever eat is pusssy

yeah, i started having some health issues the past 2 years and this year i started eating less meat, eating more veggies

i feel exactly what OP feels, head is more clear, not as sluggish as before, i don't get those random episodes of depression and i'm generally feeling better. that being said, i still love fried chicken and a nice steak but i'm trying to eat that kind of stuff maybe 1-2 times every two weeks.

I'm a veggie-light I suppose. I have meat maybe once or twice a year to avoid creating a scene with family

I can believe that Americans regularly eat 8oz of meat in their meal, because I do too. I don't believe that it's the average though. There are too many foods in the American diet containing no meat or a smaller amount of strong-tasting cured meat. How much pepperoni does a large pizza have, 2oz? Maybe I'm underestimating and the average America's diet really is that bad, I'm only guessing since I've never been there.

the average american diet is high in carbs and fat. and sugar.

we eat a lot of meat for dinner somtimes but that's about it. european diets usually eat more meat than us.