Why is Filipino food so underrated?

In my country, there's no such thing as Filipino restaurant.
Most of the South East Asian food I see talked about on the internet is mainly Thai, followed by Vietnamese and Malay, but almost no mention of Filipino food

Why is this allowed? They have some really good dishes!

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=K-PKO2FrdPY
youtube.com/watch?v=Bnf1ObJ87YY
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Filipino food is distributed entirely through kindly neighbours, they don't usually run restaurants.

There's a huge Flip population here and the closest they get to the food industry is staffing a mcdonald's.

it's not underatted. it genuinely sucks. filipino's can't cook for shit.

Because Filipino food is a great plebfilter
Plebs don't know how to mix rice with the meals(things like adobo NEEDS rice or else it's too salty), and that all asian cuisine is either noodles or curry.

Example of a pleb

I will never forget the time I tried sisig (spelling?) in the middle of the night at some market. It's fucking rough-chopped pig's ear. How the hell is it so delicious?!

Then lechon baboy... Sure, every culture that ever slow-roasted suckling pig made a fucking tasty meal, but in the Philippines, it's also served as a roadside snack! In honesty, in my younger years I preferred lechon manok, but that was mainly because I could get a whole one to myself... Balance it out with a green mango side & some locally brewed San Miguel...

Then there's super simple comfort food, like arroz caldo... Or a big fuckoff bowl of ube ice cream... Pansit canton with a load of calamansi... This dude knows whats up with adobo & plenty of steamed white rice.

>It's fucking rough-chopped pig's ear. How the hell is it so delicious?!
Sisig is fucking delicious indeed. One shouldn't judge food depending on what part of the animal it's from

It's actually pork face, pork ears and maybe some pork belly chopped up, and made crispy
Some restaurants actually add pork brain too, which actually doesn't taste anything and gives a good texture, but it's not common

It's my favorite dish desu, with some mayo

Not even a Flip

Flip food is great. Dinuguan takes a bit getting used to, but is great. Pancit and lumpia are great and accessible to many. That tamarind soup is also great on a warm day.

Also why are halo halo so underrated? It's the red beans isn't it?

Gotta add that one of my favorite things to do is go to the local 24/7 lugawan around midnight, order a bowl of goto lugaw topped with crispy garlic(add chili sauce, fish sauce and calamansi to it) along with a cold Mountain Dew or San Miguel and some fried tokwa dipped in soy sauce and vinegar

All this while feeling the chilly midnight breeze and the calmness of the neighborhood, where the only things I hear are crickets and some karaoke going on in the distance

Dem feels, 2comfy4me miss being in Philippines now

I agree, only plebs can't appreciate the true genius that is filipino cuisine.
youtube.com/watch?v=K-PKO2FrdPY

>That tamarind soup
Oh holy crap, sinigang is absolutely sensational, top tier stuff.
I grew up eating Flip lumpia, 80+% meat, and spent most of my life being disappointed to the point of disgust at what passes for spring rolls in Western countries. Hell, even those Vietnamese prawn & pork rolls were on thin ice due to the heavy veggie content, until I swiftly realized on eating some good ones that they have their own flavour balance very well done & deserve respect in their own right. But still, Filipino lumpia always holds a great place in my palate's heart.

That's just fallout from the American influence in the country.

Yes, you are correct. That video was a satire of foreign food. Even so, I'd stand that recipe next to some dormbro's faux carbonara-on-a-budget.

My ex-gf used to watch her videos.

>Example of a pleb

get an ounce of taste faggot. filipino food is shit tier.

>get an ounce of taste

>can't punctuate a sentence
>makes no coherent argument
>stimulated expression constitutes slinging insults

Pleb confirmed.

go back to your island shithole and get killed by your dictator president

If fillipino is so great, give me your greatest recipe and I'll give it a shot. I won't fuck it up. If it's goid I'll feed it to people and tell them that fillipino cuisine is good

Because their food is terrible, their favorite food is basically spaghetti with hot dogs and ketchup.

I live in a Philipino neighborhood and every fucking time Andrew Zimmern comes to San Diego he films down the street

The first thing I'd ever seen made by flips was ketchup on spaghetti. I was a teenager, and it blew my mind how fucking shit that would be. I've always been biased about Filipino cooking since then.

>Filipino food is distributed entirely through kindly neighbours

Or through Filipino parties/family get-togethers. So much food.

Filipino food is disgusting. Filipino women are among the ugliest in a continent known for beautiful women.

Filipino here. I hate flip food. I grew up with it. I am somewhat glad I grew up with crap food. It makes me grateful for the other foods out there. I'm pretty low maintenance with food to the point where many things are delicious to me.

Flip food already is poor man's food. My family went even further and made meals that are on the poorer status of flips. Like nilaga. Fuck nilaga.

Sweet story.

>Halo Halo
You mean Halo 2?

There is a flip place right down the street from me, basically the closest meal I can get to where I live.

I always get the pad thai

Filipinos are the Mexicans of asia

at least they aren't muslim

True but we actually make something of ourselves and are great contributors to society...next question plz

What have you guys contributed to the world?

filipino food

They're more like the Brazil of asia.

Oh I don't know....wer're nurses, RD's, we can dance, have style, made the balisong, escrima, just to name a few... Also fucked your mum last night and she was quite satisfied and even gave me a text not too long ago for seconds...

satisfying user's mom is nothing to brag about. She is easy.

>Making jokes about fucking moms
Is this considered sophisticated humor in the Philippines?

Couldve been the fusion of the best of asia and the best of Spanish. Instead its the after birth of american and asian

Homophobia, nurses/physical therapists, Jollibee, halo halo, Manny Pac, and homophobia.

This
Instead come up with spaghetti and meat sauce with added ketchup and hot dogs

I only like their longanisa

>hating on UFC sauce.

As someone dating a Filipina, this is true. A few good dishes in a sea of awful unappetizing garbage.

We have some Filipino restaurants near where I live.

So far, almost all suck.

However, there is one restaurant that made some nasty adobo yet some delicious beef inihau (forget how to spell it correctly).

Restaurant shuts down.

It's not underrated. It's rated appropriately. No hate on my Pinoy brothers and sisters, but every other Asian cuisine has got you beat by miles. Flip food is just derivative of superior and/or more original sources. Fucking we all can do rice and meat.

Why is filipino food so damn salty?

That guy's right though. Why's your shrimp dick getting all fussy?

Looks overly sweet

Recently went on an international food tour of local Asian cuisines the last year or so (since there's a lot of authentic places I've found on google), and I have to say something:
1. Thai food is really overrated. I had some and my thoughts on several of their dishes was that. Their fried dumplings were not impressive, especially compared to the Korean/Chinese/Japanese versions. Their soup was like milk that aged too much, reminds me of drinking old milk. Their phanaeng curry was very similar to Japanese curry (which was based on British curry, not Indian). I did enjoy their salad.
2. Laotian cuisine was a bit weirder to my tastes. It was like "eating perfume" if I was honest about it, but the larb was good, but nothing to brag about. The crunchy rice thing you put in lettuce/cabbage leaf didn't really impress.
3. Restaurant Filipino food is a hit-and-miss whereas other cuisines generally don't fuck up. Sometimes it's too watery, or, it's too dry. Or they add some weird Western flavor that you normally don't have in the Philippines (like cinnamon). Restaurant sinigang/dinuguan that is too watery is not something you'd ever want to eat/sip.
All three were from restaurants that had really good scores (almost perfect) on the restaurant scoring sites.
Now, I'm actually trying to find Indonesian, Malaysian, and Singaporean food, to do more comparisons.
If I ever find Singaporean food, I will obviously try Hainanese chicken rice, since it's supposedly the best food they've got.

Nilaga is really suck. It literally is just boiled stuff. No zest, no nothing. It's like yakitori or a bad bowl of la mian. No real flavor.

I dunno. I rate Filipino food higher than Thai, Laotian, super authentic Sichuan (it's like punishing eating this), Indian, Levantine, Persian, and western Chinese.
I initially thought Vietnamese was superior to Filipino food, but I had some of their thicker stew noodles and I went nope. They're pretty much on the same level.

Don't knock on that shit. Flip spaghetti's actually pretty good.

It can be crap if the hotdog is too salty. I think they have their own version of hotdogs that aren't salty.

good god you're rating filipino food better than thai and viet?

you need to re-adjust your rating system. A lot of shit in this world tastes good to different people but we're rating cuisine based on techniques and ingenuity of use of the country's natural resources to make a cultural dish

half the shit filipino food is mainly soaking and cooking it in salt and eating it with rice

Reading comprehension.
I thought Vietnamese was superior, but after trying their thicker stew noodles, the decision was that they are on the same level.
Rating cuisine based on techniques and "ingenuity" makes no sense. The Chinese can make ingenuous cooking techniques for eating actual giant bugs (which I saw Anthony Bourdain eat in one of his China trips) and that won't make it better in my personal ranking if I eat the damn dish and it tastes like rubber.

It's pretty good. Won't say it's haute cuisine, but it's pretty good.

It's hot if you microwave it

>Hainanese chicken rice
Yes

>Also fucked your mum last night and she was quite satisfied and even gave me a text not too long ago for seconds...

With flip dick? Kek

It's fucking disgusting. I used to eat before going to Flip parties. Dry as fuck. Like literally just dry fried meat and plain rice. I couldn't get it down. And I'm Indian. So if an Indian can't get rice down it's some awful shit. And it's unhealthy as well. Ever seen their life expectancies? Even in foreign countries. They have good desserts though I'll give them credit.

I was in the Philippines for a while for work. I think my favorite single dish was PUSIT, aka cuttlefish. It was prepared in a variety of ways, but "grilled" was always great.

And then deep frying it with no other condiments or flavours of any kind. Awful.

I have never heard of Filipino deep fried food before.
I have never seen that claim of salt in half of Filipino food, but the rice makes sense. That's their noodle.
Pork chops is not really a good indication of traditional Filipino food.

Sisig is a good dish to have with some beer. Same with Bicol Express.

Dry adobo is not that good in my estimation. I enjoy soupy versions of adobo.

The faxt that mafckin Asian islanders nearly got the Mexico treatment by Spain

Fucking Asian fuckers doing latin shit what the fuxk

On a island

Duterte is based though

No, they are the slavs of Asia

>hating himself
>hating nilaga
FUCK OFF

Soy sauce

It's actually pretty much just adobo that is salty AFAIK
This faggot here got no clue what he is talking about
Flip spaghetti is pretty much children party tier food there
It's sometimes eaten as often as how westerners eat spaghetti with ketchup

Bicol Express

entire region deep fries in the same way 2bh

That's most likely because you ate adobo that hasn't been marinated for more than an hour or so

Adobo NEEDS to be marinated for a day in the fridge. If so, it's tender and juicy as fuck. These party hosters probably had too much to make so they marinated it shortly. Then it turns salty and dry

Take tocino for example. The best one put into marinade in the morning and then cooked the morning after
HNNNG too good and juicy

this
I've been to Thailand, China and Philippines
Their streetfood is generally deep fried with some spice powder. It generally tastes very good if the streetfood vendor knows how to deep fry it properly. If they don't, it's just dry inedible garbage

Relevant:
youtube.com/watch?v=Bnf1ObJ87YY

Was in phillipines for A month recently. I ordered 30 yum burgers from jollibees. I also had a bunch of traditional homecooking, lots of sweet fish dishes.

also I was the only white person for 100s of miles phillipino traffic is a deadly game

I have absolutely no idea what you find wrong about a simple and efficient dish like that.

Where are you from out of curiosity? I've spent a fair bit of time in indo and Malaysia but never been to flipland. I'm sure the traffic there will be the same. Fucked in terms of Western countries.

>Flip food is just derivative of superior and/or more original sources
Holy shit this, to be honest the reason why is underrated is because of the fact that due to filipino culture being based from so many other cultures, the food culture is just a mess, it's either a pale imitation (i.e. adobo=> spaniards already made it, pancit => Chinese already made stir fry noodles, etc.) just americanized shit, basically flip cuisine is just a bunch of recipes made to be "original" but literally the same recipes from other countries with slight changes.

actually underrated in the sense that it's just not good in comparison to others.

"Spanish" food is already culturally appropriated from Moors and Basques and filtered through the long lens of Acapulco proxy administration therefore you forgot to include Mexican food influence, I suggest you apologize to the Mexican people right now. Also many Spaniards would consider themselves Basques first or Catalans first or Aragonese, and Spaniards only second, so the concept of "Spanish" food is somewhat racist and othering.

"Chinese" (by which I assume you racistly mean "Hui people" food since Zheng He brought noodles to the flips) is culturally appropriated from the Majiayao peoples of the upper Huang Hue basin, the fact that you are essentially diminishing their accomplishments is a form of micro-aggression against their memory.

"American" is a social construct and consists of appropriated cuisines and traditions of African and European peoples. The fact that you would lump together all of our food as a monolithic "shit" is deeply upsetting and rather bigoted I might add, and as an African America whose great grandfather served in World War 2 and brought chitlins to the Filipino people who later re-imagined them as the vibrant "sisig", I am deeply concerned that your notion of "American" is limited to McDonalds and other White, Jim Crow-based foods

Please delete your post before someone gets offended.

>adobo
Filipino adobo is completely different with a completely different origin. It's only called adobo, because the spainard in the 16th century found it similar looking

Filipino cuisine, like Thai, Malay and Viet, has alot of Chinese influence, specifically the pancit canton, siomai, lugaw and others.
Though this is definately not the only dishes it offers. There are far more than that

Not very familiar with Filipino food. I've had lechon though and it was pretty fucking good.

This is very true. They can't cook for shit. The whole fucking country

Part flip here. For the most part I don't like the cuisine. Its so greasy which is why most flips have heart problems when they get old. However, there are some good fucking food too. My favorites are (i) the inihaw dishes such as liempo and pusit, (ii) the beef stews such as mechado, bulalo, caldereta, and of course (iii) stuff like sisig and lechon. Restaurants in the metro also offer Spanish stuff like paella adapted for Filipino taste. I really think that the inihaw and roast dishes wih their salty and sour taste (probably from the lemongrass, soy sauce, and calamansi) are my favorite parts. I'd like to note though that I'm tagalog which means I'm ignorant to cuisines from other regions.

Like other user said, filipino food should be eaten with heaps of white rice.

I have a good story here
>have Flip friend in US
>decides to go to PH with him to visit his family
>first day, he takes me to try streetfood
>he gives me this deep fried baby chick on a stick
>at first I am confused and not sure what to do, but he offers me $10 to eat it, so I decide to munch it with spicy vinegar
>it's actually really damn delicious

all these but also inasal
The soy sauce, calamansi and atsuete oil marinade has to be the best kind of marinade I've ever tasted.
Whenever there's a BBQ party here, I always marinate my stuff in that

Of course, you can't like everything of a single cuisine. Me for instance, don't like all of the food from Japan or China either.

Forgot to say that I heard from some that adobo is really greasy, but the one I ate was all fine and didn't seem particularly greasy but rather caramelized

I visited ph during break while studying in Japan. I found the grease levels somewhat tough on my stomach but ate a lot of delicious food anyway. I like their desserts, also taho (sp?), reminded me of some Korean dessert drink I had.

Mainly the thing was everything was dirt cheap anyway.

Oh fuck I forgot about inasal. Very good too.

On the adobo thing, yeah most filipinos put too much oil in it. But the better cooks tend to make it less greasy and more succulent. The bayleaf flavor in it really does it for me, imho.

Flip sweets and bread are very nice. Stuff like champorado (glutinous rice with cocoa powder served with condensed milk), leche flan (a milk pudding) and ofc halo halo. The breads in the older parts of Manila are very good too. They're very much influenced by Chinese bakeries with how sweet and soft the breads are.

You should have gone to La Trinidad and get some strawberry taho
You can't die without trying that

>On the adobo thing, yeah most filipinos put too much oil in it. But the better cooks tend to make it less greasy and more succulent.

The trick is to remove most of the oil after you've fried the potatoes or garlic/onion. That way, the greasiness is mostly gone

Nilaga is garbage. Do you really like that stuff?

Anything other than caldereta and the roast pork (the whole pig thing) is shit tier

those two are god tier though

The best SE Asian food I've ever had was Indonesian. It's hands down the best from that region. I adore Rifsttafel now.

I also enjoy Turkish, Vietnamese and Afghan. Islamic Chinese is amazing too btw. Everything else is meh to me.

phillipinos are the pickiest eaters I've ever met. lived in Japan for a long time and there are lots of phillipinos there. they wont ever just shut up and eat what's in front of them, they have to go full Vegan mode and ask what every ingredient is and then judge the fucking dish on it, usually knocking the food back half the time.

Just wish they'd shut up and eat what they're given to be honest.

I think its because most people who make the menus for these place use fucktarded recipes. I have never had good restaurant sinigang, or most of the stews and soups for that matter. They also tend to under season their shit. The only Filipino dishes I actually like that is not baked goods or desserts is my mom's cooking.

It's just a stew nigga. Relax.

How is this a good story?

>get in an accident at work
>start taking painkillers
>become addicted
>switch to heroin because it's cheaper
>start selling a little on the side to support your habit
>get clean
>start working again
>raise your family
>get shot by vigilantes because you sold drugs for 6 months, 4 years ago
>your is killed during the attack
>your wife is left without a husband or a child
Sounds like a paradise.

this. holy shit, i thought i was the only one that finds this true, they have the weirdest sense of flavor. sheesh!

>heard adobo was aped by the Filipinos from the Spaniards
>tasted both variants
>the Filipino Edition was way better
And this was without rice.

>pork cuts with a fat strip
>filipino food
kys

yes, yes it does.

>sigh

not to mention the guy is using the pretense of a drug crackdown to incriminate and kill his political opponents/critics. and at the same time he's enriching himself by taking over the chinese drug networks/cartels he's supposedly breaking up via this crackdown. years before he became president, he was basically the mob kingpin of the city he was mayor of.

Can anyone question him of doing this?