Irish food is underrated

>nutritious
>cheap
>simple
>delicious

It's a cuisine that's not appreciated. Sure,it's not some fancy pretentious dish but it has it's own charm. It's definitely a cuisine the middle class should indulge in more often.

Other urls found in this thread:

allrecipes.com/recipe/31147/irish-egg-rolls/
nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2770/2
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Irish stew is one of the most pretentious dishes in the world. Only a select few can make it correctly.

it's stews with cheap widely avaliable ingredients in ireland, just make stews with widely avaliable ingredients in your area, the fresher the ingredients the better, why go out of your way to call it irish?

All the best food fills that criteria. It's called peasant food. There's nothing special about your particular take on beef and booze paddy.

Don't be wasting potato like that, you never know when you'll run out again.

>nutritious
just because you can eat 50 potatoes and live doesnt mean its nutritious

That's the whole point. It's nothing special so it's good for the common man.

>thiamine, niacin, vitamin B6, folate, vitamin C, potassium, magnesium, phosphorus and copper trace elements

Sounds pretty nutritious to me lad

wow. ur right man. why are we building up walls?

damn, man.

Yeah and Hi-C is "a good source of calcium" if you drink 5 gallons of the shit
Potatoes are good for carbs and that's about it. If you have to eat nothing but them you're probably living in a 3rd world shithole that cant grow anything else (like ireland)

>t. Autist

You don't need 50 potatoes for it to be nutritious you fucking autistic dullard

Dude, it's lamb.

I had some Irish earlier today.

I've been looking into old Irish food crops, and they could reinvent the cuisine simply by reintroducing some of those native crops and very early adoptions, add to that some of the things people now associate with Ireland, but typically not with Irish cuisine and it has a lot of room to expand beyond basic stews.

Well, it's March. Anybody have any ideas for corned beef and cabbage that isn't literally corned beef and cabbage?

Cabbage rolls?

allrecipes.com/recipe/31147/irish-egg-rolls/

I'm looking for alternatives to the usual corned beef and cabbage/stew/shepherds pie myself.

What's so pretentious or complex about Irish stew?
Literally all you have to do is:
Sautée onions and shallots,
Brown cubes of lamb/beef meat,
Add beef stock, followed by carrots, turnips, potatoes, and other root vegetables.
And let it all simmer for a while.

He's referencing a shitty old meme. Ignore the retard.

>flavorless

Even the fucking Scots have better food than the Irish.

Hope you Amerifats realise nobody in Ireland eats fucking corned beef.

Also it's beef in an Irish stew, not lamb. Irish beef is some of the best beef in the world.

Irish food isn't fit for a horse, that's why God invented Scottish food for.

"God" isn't real. Dumbass.

This

Am Irish, can confirm.

The only time I'll eat corned beef is if I'm going on an overnight hike and cba cooking. And that comes out of a can.

Remember friends, MRE's are expensive.

Went to visit the family in Ireland recently. I wouldn't say their beef is any better than Canada, but their butter seemed nicer for some reason.

They do eat more lamb, which I can't really stand.

Bonus pic of soda bread from mum's recipe book. Basically the most Irish thing I make.

Our butter comes salted. I think that's probably what it is.

>How can other butter compete.

Corned beef is a peculiarly American invention, yes. It came about from irish immigrants looking for a substitute for their traditional lamb joint, and the fact they were living in close proximity to jewish immigrants who were making and eating corned beef in their deli's, since in those days we crammed all the euro immigrants into the same couple blocks of NY. Beef only would have been available to the ultra wealthy in Ireland and they wouldn't have corned it.

Yesterday was the worst dinner I have ever had. I make a rule of not socializing with coworkers, and I should not have broken it. This may take 2 posts, it was THAT bad.

6 coworkers met at someone's house yesterday under the pretense of "Irish stew". I grudgingly accepted the invitation and arrived at 2 pm (when I was told to come). I brought traditional soda bread that had to be baked first. The host made a bit of a stink about using the oven when he had other things in there, but I told him I wanted it fresh.

The stew was still cooking and the host was already drinking alcohol at this time. In the middle of a conversation with a member of the opposite sex, the host tells me, "Please, no talk about politics. PLEASE not today". I said if more people talked about politics we would be in a better country, and he got very argumentative so I just dropped it.

I was drinking apple juice that I brought over and the host kept trying to get me to have a beer. He was obviously intoxicated and starting saying how maybe I would be relaxed and "cooler" if I had some alcohol. It was pathetic, like peer pressure from a high school TV show.

Anyway, at that point I became withdrawn and went for a walk. I came back right before dinner, and that is when the fun started.

He made "Irish stew" with beef, carrots, Worcestershire sauce, black pepper, hot sauce, oregano, tomato, and various ingredients. I started telling others that proper Irish stew should only contain mutton, potato, onion, and water, and that beef, tomato, black pepper, hot sauce, and other ingredients would not be available then and therefore it was a modern stew, not Irish stew.

We started eating and someone asked me about what I had said about real Irish stew. The host looked annoyed so I told him. He turned red and told me if I didn't like it I could "get the fuck out and take my apple juice with me".

I was shocked and speechless. He left the room and his girlfriend (they are unmarried but live together) apologized. Eventually, people started talking more comfortably and he came back and was brooding and drinking more.

The stew was okay, but not authentic. I asked him if he knew that mutton was on sale at a local store and he flew into a tirade, bringing up any small error or faux pas I have ever committed at work. People were trying to calm him down, and I simply responded to him in a quiet and calm voice, and said that I appreciated his invitation and his "take" on Irish stew, but it would have been nicer if the company had been more warm.

He got up and pulled me out of the chair, stretching my sweater at the neck. He was literally screaming in my face and had his fist up in a threatening manner.

I told him I would call the cops if he hit me. He then told me to get out and take my "fucking juice and shit bread" with him. A second loaf was still in the oven with 7 minutes left, and I said I wasn't leaving until it was cooked and I could take it.

He shouted at me to leave or he would call the cops ON ME (imagine) and then threw the bread out of the oven on the ground. I was shaking with emotions and told the group that I enjoyed my time with them but I couldn't say the same about the host.

It was a horrible affair, but I decided to make authentic Irish stew today, because I was let down yesterday and had a hankering for it. It is simmering on the stove and I plan on bringing it to lunch tomorrow, one bowl for me and some for the host. It will be a subtle form of revenge as well as a way to show him that I am a better cook and am the more mature, forgiving person.

Any other stories of hosts from hell? People who cannot act respectful towards others in their own home should not have dinner parties.

Ahhh. Delicious stale pasta. Thanks Bruno.

You're literally the cunt in this situation, good bait, I replied.

Not Irish. From what I understand this dish is uniquely American in that it originated from the neighborhoods in NYC where the Irish were relegated among the Jews. Irish welcome to chime in.

Shit. I'll wriggle myself off this hook.

i want reddit to leave

Never claimed anything was Irish mate. Just that I was looking for alternatives to the usual.

Or are you assuming about the recipe I posted? It's obviously not Irish. They're egg rolls. It's just something different to do with corned beef.

I haven't found anything that really peaked my interest so I think I'll just make a small beef roast and some champ or colcannon to Irish it up.

>Not /r9k/ tier
>Must be from reddit

Chad took your girl huh?

Post the other one too

I'm not so sure, that other dude sounds high strung as fuck. OP of the copypasta committed a few faux pas but the other guy clearly has a temper as well as a chip on his shoulder.

Are you actually retarded? Scroll down and look at those little percentages on the side. ONE FUCKING POTATO contains half the DRV of potassium, C and B6, as well as ~%20 of 8 other essential vitamins and minerals, notably folate and magnesium which are EXTREMELY COMMON DEFICIENCIES that could be remedied by people like you being shot into the sun.

nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2770/2

Do you have the one about the superbowl party? that was my fave

Aye my fucking hole
Have a wee go at my mas stew and then call me to tell me what a stupid fucking faggot you are for posting this fuck sake everyone here can make a crackin wee stew.

Irishfag here, we don't even eat corned beef and cabbage ya ratty cunts, Have a side of gammon with some strong mustard instead, stop believe yanky versions of irish food.

Surely you don't believe any of that actually happened? The story is written in a way that the reader sees every single thing the autist character does wrong and how oblivious he is to his own rudeness.

Funny, but still a work of fiction.

ftfy

So, corned beef and cabbage is cheap as fuck right now. Anyone have a good recipe that isn't corned beef with a side of cabbage, carrots and potatoes?

Corned beef cabbage rolls?

How the fuck does the post you quoted give me another recipe for corned beef and cabbage?

You could boil the corned beef with potatoes, onions, carrots and celery, add the cabbagge for the last 30 minutes and mince it all finely into a fantastic hash.

I look forward to the leftovers mostly. Reuben sandwiches and corned beef hash my dude.

Best if done with leftovers, so at that rate you'd be better off making the boiled dinner first.

>peasant food
>it's not dry bread and hard cheese

I made soda bread yesterday. I wanted to try making bread and this seemed like an easier one to start with.

It was super heavy, the loaf weighed 752g, but I think it tastes good.

>Piqued*