Broiler pizza

Anyone have tips towards cooking pizza with the broiler? I imagine you can get higher than 500f if you get right up close to it. Pizza always seems better if cooked at higher temp so this interested me as a potential method

pic related, I have a gas oven/broiler though so it might be better?

>pic related, I have a gas oven/broiler though so it might be better?

I have a gas oven with a single element at the top... i find that broiling for me is really uneven. the electrics, while maybe not as hot, seem more even.

Just an observation.

Most baking books tell you to set up your baking stone at the bottom of the oven for "hearth style baking."

I've always used that technique and then popped it up to the broiler to finish.

My broiler only heats the top element, not the bottom, and I think pizzas need more bottom heat than top otherwise they'll burn.
does yours let you switch? My "low" and "high" just means "low heat" or "high heat"

mine is also single top element. Maybe using a pizza stone can help reflect enough heat to cook a decent pizza?

I use cast iron. The part that needs the heat is the crust not the top.

Jesus you people have terrible, terrible ovens.

So cook it upside down?

I recently purchased a Bosch 500 Series Convection oven. It has a "pizza" setting and the oven goes up to 550 F at the highest. I've made some pretty decent pizzas. Always come out crisp, cheese golden but not burnt.Of course you really need to monitor the time though.

Holy fuck. You cook pizza from the bottom; a broiler cooks from the top...

It's 3 something in the morning and I'm drunk as fuck. This is when ideas happen...

If you see an upside-down pizza with burnt cheese in an upcoming Veeky Forums challenge, feel free to take a little credit, OP.

Shit. Now I'm never going to get to sleep.

Upside down pizza is just 'go 'za isn't it?

can I sear a thick steak with a broiler? will it be any better than searing in a skillet?

>can I sear a thick steak with a broiler?
Yes

>will it be any better than searing in a skillet?
No, it will be worse. Direct contact with a hot object (conduction) transfers heat better than via radiation.

You're so stupid lmao

Heat the oven anywhere between 425° to 550° F and put a baking stone in there to let it absorb the heat

Cook the pizza on the baking stone. The ingredients aren't supposed to cook on the pizza so it doesn't matter how hot they get. You want the crust to cook properly, and you'll get that best with a baking stone.

My oven actually has a pizza setting.
It pretty much just works like a convection oven but with the broiler on while in pizza mode.

Doesn't work very well, you get more consistent results just using normal fan forced oven mode.

I use this simple method of making pizza.
I buy a pack of ready to serve naan or flatbread from an Asian grocery, they usually sell five for $1.99 or something. I then top it with tomato sauce, cheese, and my choice of toppings, and I put it under the broiler for 5-7 minutes.
Comes out perfectly every time. And it tastes as good as making the crust from the scratch, with a quarter of the time, effort, and cleanup.

>Being serious on Veeky Forums

You should reflect on your own intelligence

Here is a trick I learned from Heston Blumenthal:

Heat a cast iron pan on the stove until smoking hot.

Flip it over and slide your assembled pizza onto the underside of the smoking hot pan.

Throw the pan under the broiler.

I think it should take about 5 minutes but keep an eye on it.

It works, its kinda cool to do once but kind of tricky to get right. It allows the pizza to be cooked at a higher temp than most home ovens.

Didn't need a broiler for mine. Using the broiler is fine but why not cook it more, it makes it better.

The reason you use crazy high heat on pizza is because dough is perfectly cooked at around 180 degrees... you can go higher than that and it'll hit 212 and the liquid will start steaming out and it'll still be totally edible, but an internal temp of 180 is prefered.

pizza crust is pretty thin, some crust is so thin that it will definitely hit 212 while it cooks, but medium to thick crust pizzas should be cooked at crazy high temps for short periods of time (less than 12 minutes usually) so that the dough is still moist and delicious in the crust.

Your pizza looks good, but I guarantee the crust is dried out. "cooking it more" does not necessarily "make it better"