Chili

Ok Co/ck/s, since this is the probably the last cold snap in burgerland, share some chili recipes or tips and tricks. Anything goes!

Other urls found in this thread:

aht.seriouseats.com/archives/2010/09/the-burger-lab-how-to-make-the-best-chili-for-a-burger-or-hot-dog.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Manwich and ground beef
Chopped Lil Smokies sausages
Bakes beans
Thin sliced onions
Lots of cayenne pepper

Thank me later

>Lil Smokies

Hell yeah, never thought of that.

Ground beef
carrot
sweet potato
diced onion
green pepper
pepper powder and flakes
shiitake mushroom
canned tomato
black beans
lentil
cumin
sriracha
sake
mirin

brown the meat, onion, then pour in about 2 cups of sake and 1 cup of mirin
add carrots and sweet potato, spices
add other veggies

Thank me later

Actually making chili for dinner tonight. Not gonna post pics since it's basic shit, but I'll be doing:
>Browning the ground beef (87/13 if i remember correctly) in a pot with onions and a bit of minced garlic
>Simmer that for about 35 minutes
>Add can of black beans
>Can of crushed tomatoes
>Can of Rotel Hot diced tomatoes and habaneros
>Simmer for another 30 minutes
>Walk to liquor store and get some burgundy wine to go with it, maybe some cornbread from the grocer if i'm feeling frisky
>Come back and add spices
>Bay leaf, cumin, some berbere seasoning i have, dash of cinnamon, sage, turmeric
>Simmer another 40 minutes or so. Should be done

Finally started snowing here in Pgh... forecast went from 5 inches to less than 2. kind of disappointed desu but I'm gonna try to be as comfy as possible. Off work today.

Damn that sounds good. I've never thought of half of those ingredients being in chili, especially the sweet potato, carrots and mushroom. Gotta try that.

Yeah me too. Funny, I went to the liquor store for bourbon to put in my chili and in me as well. I'm going to try that cinnamon. Rotel rocks.

Well bro, at least you get 2 inches lol. I live in South GA so when it gets below 35 everybody freaks out.

Inb4 beans/no beans autistic screeching

This sounds insane but get ~ half a teaspoon of Marmite or less and swirl it around until it dissolves. The chili hides the taste to the point where you can't detect anything but a savory umami flavor bomb

That's not insane at all; Marmite is a well-known flavoring agent for savory stews.

1 lb ground beef
1 lb hot pork sausage
1 can black beans
1 can corn
1 chopped onion
3-4 largish peppers (anaheims, poblanos, whatever)
1 can crushed/stewed tomatoes
1 small can tomato paste
1 can cheep beer
1 box Carroll Shelby's chili powder

Crock pot overnight. Welcome to flavorburg.

>Beef and tomato flavored diarrhea
No thanks

I don't think it's the last cold snap. It's 60 something degrees in Colorado right now and the trees are staying to bloom. My apple trees are boned :(

>Brown 2lb Ground Chuck
>Drain and reserve grease
>Add equal amount of corn flour to the grease, cook it while whisking until it turns peanut butter colored
>Add 2 diced onions, 2 diced bell peppers, 4 diced serranos, 4 cloves pressed garlic
>Cook 5 minutes
>Add beef, salt, black pepper, 3 Tbsp chili powder, 4 Tbsp ground cumin, 1 Tbsp Oregano, 2 tsp dried thyme
>3 cans diced tomatoes, un-drained
>3 cans black beans, drained
>2 Cups beef stock
>Simmer approx. 3 hours, then adjust salt if needed.

You're welcome in advance

Forgot to mention, when you add the veggies to the roux, you have to stir the living shit out of it while it cooks to keep it from burning. Careful, the fat/flour mixture is like lava

>You're welcome in advance
>His "chili" contains a roux

Lol.

McCormick shills on damage control

>roux
you mean Man Gravy?

Who said anything about McCormick? Fuck that shit. I'll post a real chili recipe for you.

First, you start with chili peppers. You know--the name of the dish? Not chili powder. Actual chilis.

Clockwise from upper left: Anaheims, guajillo, arbol, ancho, jalapeno, and habanero.

Remove stems from the dried peppers (And the habs)

Peppers go in the blender with some beer. Leave that to sit for a while; meanwhile fire up your grill.

Got your coals warming up? Good.

Season a couple sirloin steaks with salt and pepper.

Get your steaks and the green chilis on the grill. You don't need to worry about cooking them through, just get a good sear on there. Remember browning = malliard reaction = flavor.

You should have something like this when you're done.

Chop up the green chilis

Try replacing the beef, tomatoes and chili powder with pork, tomatillos, and cilantro for an exciting 'green' chili!

Get them in the blender with your beer and all the dried chilis. The dry chilis will have softened up from soaking in the beer while you were grilling the beef.

Blend it! McCormick can go suck a nut, this is real flavor.

Cut your grilled steaks into cubes.

And of course Chili is always at its best with a blend of meats. So here we have some bison, pork, and the stuff at the bottom is venison.

....and the rest of our ingredients.

Beer, onions, tomatoes, and V8 vegetable juice. You can mix this up with stock, other kinds of beer, etc. Just don't use something flavorless like water.

Now the real cooking begins. Start by browning the beef in the bottom of your pot. And that means BROWN it, you don't want it gray. The camera flash in the shiny pot makes this look a lot lighter in color than it really is.

When the beef is brown add your onions and sweat them down. the onions will deglaze the pot for you. Again, the shiny pot and the flash make this look a lot lighter in color than it ought to be.

When the onions are translucent add everything else.

The dry spices you see here are smoked paprika on the left and cumin on the right.

Forgot my pic like an idiot.

Low simmer. Hours.

Done!

that's some good shit right there

OP here. Awesome shit on here!

Wow that looks serious. Nice.

That does look good!

Boil ground beef before browning to get a fine texture useful for smooth, saucy chili.

how spicy is it?

>dark chocolate
>coffee
>beer
>gelatin

Blasphemous.

This. With fresh cilantro, and I like pinto beans too.

>boil ground beef
t. Kay

bueno bueno

None other than J. Kenji Lopez-Alt himself validates this method as useful for a specific style of chili

aht.seriouseats.com/archives/2010/09/the-burger-lab-how-to-make-the-best-chili-for-a-burger-or-hot-dog.html

loads of tomatoes
kidney beans and haricot beans
shitloads of garlic
a tiny bit of sugar
minced beef (ground beef for yanks)
more tomatoes
tomato puree
loads of hot chilli powder
chopped peppers
more onions
more tomatoes
more garlic
let it reduce on a lowish heat so it doesn't burn - stir it sometimes. The sauce should be rich
eat it with hot buttered bread or boiled potatoes or both
I don't like rice nor pasta - they make me feel full, but 20 minutes later I'm hungry
bread and potatoes fill me up
I usually grate a carrot into it

>5 cloves minced garlic
>1 yellow onion, chopped
>1 tablespoon olive oil
Cook onion and garlic in olive oil until garlic is golden brown.
>1 lb ground chuck
>1 lb ground sausage
Add to onion and garlic and cook until browned.
>3 cans stewed tomatoes
>1 small can tomato paste
>2 cans black beans
>2 mangoes, peeled and chopped
>2 cups beef broth (could also use chicken)
>2 Tablespoons brown sugar
>to taste: chili powder, salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper, cumin, oregano, paprika (I used bourbon smoked paprika, 10/10 spice)
Bring all ingredients to a boil and simmer 5-10 minutes to let flavors incorporate.

inb4
>>beans in chili
>>fruit in chili
>>broth in chili
>>tomatoes in chili
Eat your slop then, while I'll be enjoying my top-tier god of all chilis.

forgot
>2 large or 3-4 small sweet red chilis, diced
to go in with the tomatoes and mangoes.

Man I can't wait for winter to come back down here to the southern hemisphere, we just had the hottest summer ever.

Straya?

Not very. The only "hot" peppers involved were the habaneros and the arbols (and frankly the arbols really aren't all *that* hot). Jalapenos can vary at lot but these were quite mild. The other peppers are mild too. That small amount of pepper for what was easily 6 lbs of meat? Not hot at all. I usually prefer mine to be hotter, but I was cooking for a group so I didn't want it to be too crazy.

Of course you can adjust the heat to your liking by changing how many and what kind of peppers you add.

Seems pointless to me. Just simmer the ground beef in the chili for a long time.

Yeh mate

you forgot the beans

There's always one and it's always you.
Your shitty attempt to derail the thread came too late.
Why not try a meaningful contribution for once?

Try it with both methods and see what happens.

I have. Simmering in the chili delivers the same results with one less step in the process. That's why I'm calling it pointless.

Die in a fire

Bro the beans

OP here. You guise are killing it. Im gonna try all this shit. Killer ideas!

4-5 lbs. of ground beef
2 red bell peppers
1 green bell pepper
1 orange bell pepper
3 large white onions
1 large can of crushed tomatoes
2 small cans of tomato paste
1 large can of kidney beans
1 small can of kidney beans
2 small cans of black beans
4 tbs. of crushed garlic
8 oz. jar of jalapeño peppers
1/4 cup of sriracha paste
2 tsp. of crushed red pepper
2 tbs. of chili powder
1/2 tbs. of kosher salt
1/2 tsp. of crushed black pepper
1 cup of granulated sugar
1 cup of ketchup
2 tbs. of vegetable oil
1 tsp. of gravy master
2 tsp. of worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp. of soy sauce
1 cup of red wine
2 cans of beer

sauté diced peppers and onions in large pan on high till they're golden brown
lower heat to medium and add the ground beef + gravy master, stir, then add everything else
DRAIN THE CAN OF KIDNEY BEANS BEFORE ADDING THEM
keep burner on medium and stir every few minutes for about a half hour
then set heat to low and continue to stir every few minutes for another half hour
turn the burner off, keep the pot of chili on top, cover it and let it sit for a few hours... longer it sits, the better it tastes.