ABC News and Pink Slime

hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/abc-news-headed-trial-billions-dollars-line-986112
MARCH 14, 2017

ABC News Headed to Trial With Billions of Dollars on the Line

A South Dakota judge decides that a meat producer could show reckless disregard for the truth in a report about "pink slime."

Disney's ABC News unit is facing the possibility of a hugely consequential jury trial in South Dakota after a judge there moved along a lawsuit alleging that the network defamedBeef Products Inc. in its coverage ofa meat product called lean, finely textured beef, which critics have dubbed "pink slime."

BPI claims $1.9 billion in damage with the possibility the amount could be tripled if the plaintiff can prove ABC News knowingly lied about the safety of a food product. The plaintiff has previously scored wins in keeping the case in a state court and then prevailing against First Amendment arguments on a motion to dismiss.

Now, according to The Wall Street Journal, BPI has moved even closer to trial upon Judge Cheryle Gering's conclusion that a jury "could determine that there is clear and convincing evidence that ABC Broadcasting and [reporter Jim] Avila were reckless," a necessary threshold given the public status of the plaintiff. The judge will allow BPI to try its theory that ABC pursued “a negative spin” before conducting research and purposely avoided the truth.

cont.

The judge did allow Diane Sawyer to escape the litigation as a defendant, something that ABC News points out in a statement to The Hollywood Reporter confirming the development.

"We are pleased that the Court dismissed all claims against Diane Sawyer," said ABC. "The Court has not ruled on the merits of the case against the other defendants, and we welcome the opportunity to defend the ABC News reports at trial and are confident that we will ultimately prevail."

After ABC broadcast its pink slime report in 2012, highlighting how much of the ground beef in supermarkets, many restaurants and school lunches included use of fillers and trimmings, plus ammonia to kill bacteria, there was tremendous consumer backlash. The plant said it closed three plants, laid off hundreds and lost some of its customers.

If the case does get to trial — with the network now having to decide whether to risk a billion-dollar verdict regardless of its confidence on the merits — ABC News may defend the substantial truth of its report or attempt to convince jurors that it hadn't published the report with actual malice.

FIN

Pink slime is a slanderous myth invented by McDonaldsphobes

>Jim Avila still being sued
>Diane (((Sawyer))) had the charges dropped

Oh I wonder how (((that))) happened?

You have to do news stories on these fucktards occasionally. If you don't hit 'em in the pocketbook they just keep doing weird things like pink slime.

This.
The """news""" """coverage""" was almost certainly criminal misconduct.

Gee, these types fetishize the native americans for "using every part of the buffalo" but when modern companies come up with safe, effective methods to cut down on food waste, they get stonewalled by petulant, well-meaning activists who reason that because someone's making a buck off it, it MUST harm the public good. They're fucking everywhere

Ain't nothing wrong with pink slime. Get that down ya there put hairs on them chest boy.

Beef™

why don't they sue all the bloggers and other retards who were claiming pink slime was harmful and fueling the media frenzy?

because bloggers have no assets or income to seize

No wonder Veeky Forums is such a messed up place everyone has been chowing down on ammonia-meat for years

>tfw live in a small ranching town and get fresh premium cuts of meat directly from the butcher.

You lads don't know shit.

>ammonia is part of the cow
Wow, I sure regret not taking high school biology.

>he doesn't know about the ammonia sack behind a cow's third stomach
Something tells me you really didn't take high school biology.

Yeah, probably. Would anyone be surprised if it turns out the media produced a fake story yet again and lied to everyone?

Just great. Now where am I supposed to get my daily recommended allowance of ammonia? Cigarettes?

Not me. I stopped trusting the news way before Current Year. That being said, I'm laughing at all these faggots crying about MUH UNSAFE FOOD PROCESSING while munching on a bologna sandwich.

Nobody wants to know how the sausage (ground beef) gets made, and then they get mad and all litigious when you show them. Typical..

I want the truth!

YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!

I remember btfo my science teacher when he was talking shit about mcd and other fast food. He would always preach about how wasteful americans are etc. he was going on about mc d and the nuggets and i asked him what exactly was his problem with mc ds food. He said that they used beaks hoofs etc. then i asked if it wasnt a good thing that mcd and other fast food made use of animal products that would be destined to be wasted. He was stunned and resorted to say its still nasty. He looked visibly rattled and i took satisfaction in it.

If you're going to keep eating cows, the worst possible livestock in terms of consumption to product and a creature whose shit produces massive amounts of greenhouse gasses, yeah you better eat the whole fucking thing.

Their shit also leads to the growth of magic mushrooms so I'm not complaining.

Q: How is it used in food processing?

A: Ammonium hydroxide and other ammonia-containing compounds are used extensively in food processing. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) regulations affirm ammonium hydroxide as safe (“generally recognized as safe” or GRAS) for use as a leavening agent, a pH control agent, and a surface-finishing agent in food with no limitation other than current good manufacturing practice. 21 C.F.R. § 184.1139. See also National Academy of Sciences, Food Chemicals Codex, 5th Ed. (2004), p. 24.

well, it doesn't get any clearer than that. Tanks food conglomerates for making food safes!

There have been no significant feeding studies specifically designed to ascertain the safety threshold of ammonium compounds as food ingredients. Its safety is based on an extrapolation of data based on the normal presence of ammonium hydroxide in food, not added.

So what's the solution? Well it's an image problem, Media Blitz! 101% Pure BEEF

Meet's off the menu boys!

I am surrounded by cow pastures in every direction. Those big black ones. Some so big that when they are over a 1/4 mile away in the tree line, they look like ancient dinosaurs walking past in the fog. How do I find these mushrooms

100% pure beef™ guaranteed!*

*not a guarantee

Can I still eat pink slime if I'm over 18?

There have been no significant feeding studies specifically designed to ascertain the safety threshold of ammonium compounds as food ingredients. Its safety is based on an extrapolation of data based on the normal presence of ammonium hydroxide in food, not added.

You know what's next... beef scented Pine Sol!

McDonalds Internet Defense Force working overtime tonight

Is there a good place to get ammonia? I've been eating so much of it now I'm having withdrawals.

Pretty accurate except i had a bowl cut.

Angus you mongol
Factory beef deserves most connotations the term derives but not to the degree the "pink slime" story has gotten for it. US cattle raising standards, without hyperbole, lead the world in a manner which makes libertarians and small government hicks cum their pants. It doesn't deserve ABC in the least.
Ranchhand here. Our assumed superiority is all we have left lad.
Shut the fuck up
Not all commercial grade beef is sold to McDonalds. Most of it in fact goes onto pizzas
Shut the fuck up

Look at the shit. Cross reference with the psychedelic mushrooms found in your area. They're probably going to have blue splotches/bruises but ultimately just confirm what mushroom you should check for elsewhere.

Is there a multi-vitamin that has the proper amount of ammonia for a healthy adult? I didn't see it on any of the labels. Maybe it's called something else?

>beef
>pizzas
It's as if you have no standards.

The reason ammonia is present is because it iss used to sanitise the meat. But why sanitize the meat when US cattle is generally safe? Meat that is ground finely has a much larger surface area and when undercooked can spread disease. This doesn't mean I would turn down a sloppily made burger at your BBQ. But if you're a factory grinding up tens of thousands of cows, disease is a real factor. All this said I prefer to buy from the local butcher who doesn't use ammonia.

Left beef master race

Look up the textbook by Paul Stamets on psilocybin mushrooms. It's widely available for downloading in PDF format.

Did the whole class stand up and clap?

Is it a steaming process basically that involves ammonia? Can I do this at home? If the government says it's safe, then I'd like to give it an additional once-over when I get the product home before I use it in cooking. When I cook for guests is it proper to inform them of this? Sort of a legal/ethical question?

No. Typical teenage indifference.

not every part of cow should be eaten.. like the skin. make a jacket ok, eat it no.

GMOs bad pink slime good. you fucking asshats.

Id like my meat to be labeled if it contains the slime.

Fuck mcdonalds and fuck black people

Has the government told us what other gasses enhance beef? Boron or something maybe?

That kid has swag though