I'm turning 21 tomorrow. I want to buy a red wine but i'm not sure which one will be right. I've only had red blends...

i'm turning 21 tomorrow. I want to buy a red wine but i'm not sure which one will be right. I've only had red blends. What does Veeky Forums suggest for a starter wine?

Other urls found in this thread:

newyorker.com/magazine/2002/08/19/the-red-and-the-white
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

barefoot moscato. ignore the hipsters, all wine tastes the same. even wine tasters cant tell a 100 dollar bottle from a 10 dollar bottle

if you actually want to experiment with different flavours and real good stuff, drink craft beer

Obvious bait, anyone that replies seriously is a retard

Op: no wine is going to taste good the first time. Start with more accessible grapes like Chardonnay

Youre denying that wine tasters cant tell expensive wines from cheap ones?

newyorker.com/magazine/2002/08/19/the-red-and-the-white

>expert wine tasters can only tell a red apart from a white 70% of the time

thats not even comparison between expensive and cheap. Its all nonsense!

I prefer a red wine, and I would like something not very fruity or sweet
Also I've never liked beer

Justin
Justification

>I totally am not a shill

Brigaldara Valpolicella is pretty good

I personally like pretty much any dry red. I haven't experimented much with wine but I'd recommend looking at wine spectator ratings or just going to a wine store and explaining this exact situation and letting them guide you to a particular bottle in your price range that satisfies your preferences.

Especially if your thread dies before anyone says anything useful.

As a side note, craft beer is good and cheaper and it's easy to check what's good using untappd. I'd recommend exploring that if you need more bang for your buck while maintaining some semblance of standards for your booze. I think getting into wine will be significantly more expensive but it's delicious, especially when paired with the right foods.

Veeky Forums wine threads are even worse than Veeky Forums knife threads
>all wine is the same, vinho verde tastes exactly the same as LBV port
>the only options are sweet bitch moscato and DRC La Tache, literally no middle ground is possible
>wine is for gay middle aged women and everyone, even the ancient romans, drink it to put on airs and impress _____???? (this part is never specified)
>you are all plebs the only good wine is (extremely pedestrian wine)
>here are a bunch of retarded infographics that say nothing actually useful but include words that neophytes are unfamiliar with, wow look how useful I am!
>the price of wine in my area is $$_unreasonable amount due to living in a conservative hellhole___, why do hipsters buy overpriced juice just to show off?
>how do I "into wine", I don't enjoy wine, I don't drink wine, and I have no intention of drinking wine, want to learn a bunch of stuff I don't actually care about because I watch too many hollywood movies about fine dining (which I have never experienced) and I think I can impress the waiter by talking like an insufferable twat

etc, have a cast iron pan

Make a master sommelier infograph

Why?
Infographs are cancer for ADHD millennials
Some things (most things) are not suited for a clever image with bright colors

this is a good post

I'm not an expert, but if you can't tell the difference between a red and white you're a fucking retard.

>meanwhile sommelier championships have contestants identify specific vintages down to the exact year of production

You can't explain that.

It's your 21st. Just get a Carlo Rossi or Franzia and get wasted. You can develop your taste buds later.

Try a pink champagne, it's sweet and bubbly like a soda so you'll like it instantly. Got it for my friend when I threw her 21st birthday party and she really liked it. If you stick with sweeter stuff you're more likely to like it, maybe consider merlot or pino grigio. I usually go with either barefoot or yellow tail because it's pretty inexpensive.

This. But then again if you're looking for wine suggestions you're probably not looking to get fucked up, because if that's the case I would get a spirit like vodka.

But if you want to keep it low key get something like a $10-15 Cabernet Merlot - I generally find that cheapish Cab Merlot is decent. That being said if we're honest given that you've not drunk wine a lot you won't be able to tell the difference, just go by label and however much you want to spend.

So funny to hear that Americans drink Yellow Tail, it's like the coca cola of wine in Australia

There are Americans that still think Fosters is Australian for beer. Not as many as you'd think, but there are a few here.

I mean it's just too broad to give a suggestion. All I can say is find a way to try regions/varietals and just explore. See what you like/don't like and move from there.

Maybe the easiest way to help is to figure out a pairing for your meal. Ask the staff what goes well with "x" and they'll be able to work from there.

My suggestion is go for something Old World that's classic, I'd say a nice Bordeaux would set the benchmark. It depends on the time of year, but there's should be a cheap-ish bottle depending on where you are.

My go to is Smoking Loon cabernet sauvignon, about 7-8 bucks, but most any cabernet from the Chilean central valley is excellent. For me, at least. You have to accept that everyone's tastes are different and you really do have to find your own way.

>Carlo Rossi
Their burgundy isn't bad, but their paisano, sangria, and sweet red are absolutely vile.

Don't be afraid to experiment broadly with the cheap stuff, Charles Shaw (cabernet sauvignon, pinot grigio, and white zinfandel are the highlights) Oak Leaf (cabernet sauvignon and sauvignon blanc here) and so on.

The wines at Applebees and the like are truly shitty, but if you go to a real restaurant, oftentimes you can get a flight of wines to compare against each other and how they either enhance or step on the food. Go to a nice restaurant with your folks for your 21st, somewhere they can recommend pairings well.

Really? You can make a white wine from a black grape, you can make an orange wine with a white grape, why shouldn't you sometimes have trouble with red vs white wine when it's basically an arbitrary simplification used for convenience and marketing?

What they did was basically the "whoa I can't tell the difference between a potato and an apple" parlor trick. Are we therefore to agree that apples and potatoes are the same thing and grocery store produce sections are a scam to make me feel dumb? Or do we just assimilate that information without getting too buttblasted over it?

Any child who went to montessori school understands this stuff, but certain maleducated adults have gone through life with a bitter feeling of resentment towards people whose parents didn't fuck up completely like their own, so the notion that sensory perception can be manipulated comes as a big surprise and when you combine that revelation with something related to wine (which they have always suspected is just a big conspiracy on the part of the liberals to make them feel uncultured), what you get is a lot of OMG I KNEW IT ALL ALONG WHINE FAGS BTFO

Also this thread is going to 404 or I'll get banned, the mod here does not like wine discussion

Anyone with any semblance of knowledge of wine wouldn't touch American stuff with a barge pole.
Oaky garbage, the USA doesn't have the right climate to produce decent grapes.

I'm so glad I had decent family letting me drink Ridge Monte Bello and Chateau Montelena when I was a teenager. I can't imagine growing up thinking "just buy a box of Franzia and get wasted" is an acceptable way to spend your 21st birthday. Then again we're on the board where limes are hipster lemons and I don't eat meat that's alive when you kill it, so...

Go jump into a dumpster fire you tryhard faggot.

There is nothing wrong with a quality blend.
I have always enjoyed australian Shiraz-Merlot blends.
Basically you just need to try a lot of different grapes from different places and your palate will evolve from there.

These are good posts.

Guys, serious question here. How do you prevent your nostrils from drying out when tasting wine? It's my biggest problem when I'm at tastings. My nose just gives up after like 30 bottles

>don't like fruity or sweet
Try the wines under the Herbal Dry Reads, especially the more savory sounding subcategories.

Those were the red wines that got me in.

get a cru classe of a decent vintage (1989, 2000, etc.) pic related

Don't bother with anything else. If you don't have enough money get a cru bourgeois exceptionelle / sociando-mallet (again decent vintage is important)

I had my first drink at 7, actually it was beer. It tasted ok, but I got shit sick.
Just drink whatever. You wont have any fond memories anyway.

Bolla Italian wines are cheap, and delicious.

A bottle of their Chianti will only set you back maybe 8 bucks. Their Bardolino, pinot noir, and Valpollicella are all good reds, too.

Their Soave is great, as is their pinot grigio, but they're white.

>montessori school
Miss me with that cult shit, nigga