Whys it 151 proof and not 150

whys it 151 proof and not 150

how much difference does 1 proof make at that level

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=cHXFARUOYY0
youtube.com/watch?v=fZ_gFyB6GnA&t=100s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

because that would be lying, user

This thread is proof you're a whiny faggot.

Hahahaha

Basically, because that's the number they chose to dilute to.

It's a throwback to the old days of copper pot stills and limited cargo holds in ships. Shipping overproof rum was a common practice because the rum was stronger, and therefore more valuable, but took up less room. Overproof rum was simply rum that hadn't been cut to drinking strength (think 80 proof) before it was put into casks for shipping.

Pot stills of the day would only run a single distillation of rum to about 151 proof. These days, fractionating column distillation can get ethanol damn close to 95.5% alcohol in one run, or 191 proof. This is the azeotropic point of ethanol in water, where it can't be distilled any further at atmospheric pressure. So we can take that and just cut it to whatever we want (usually 80 or 100 proof).

>tl;dr because 151 has a nice ring to it.

youtube.com/watch?v=cHXFARUOYY0

In California it is the highest legal abv of liqour.

Fucking commiefornia

youtube.com/watch?v=fZ_gFyB6GnA&t=100s

everclear produces 179 alchohol in the states its illegal to sell 180 proof alchohol in. i get that this is backwards, but it might be a similar reason

I always have a chug of my everclear and then top it off with grey goose to push the alcohol over 180. Fuck the police.

I remember at one of my first real parties in like 9th grade my friend got a handle of 151. So many people throwing up and dying that night.

>dying
the fuck kinda party was it

Sounds like a good one!

a bunch of 14-16 year olds getting drunk. i think one person actually did get alcohol poisoning.

151 rolls off the tongue nicely

a real party

a jonestown party

Probably just because 151 looks better from an advertisement standpoint than 150, the same can be seen in Wild Turkey 101 - almost every other high proof whiskey is somewhere between 90-100 proof (45-50% ABV).

It's just a neat number that somebody in the marketing department decided on.

That said, my younger brother and I went on a search for it this past Christmas because of nostalgia.

After three liquor stores, I finally asked, beginning to become skeptical.

Dude at the store said that it was discontinued because, apart from the obvious danger of such a high proof liquor and the various stories of people being set on fire, appparently some hoity-toity restaurant had been using it as part of a dessert whereby the 151 proof rum would be ignited on whatever dessert. According to this dude, one night, some jackass customer lit a paper menu on fire and stuck it in the stream of the 151 rum while it was being prepared at their table and the resulting fireball left the customer and server laden with glass shrapnel.

There are still other 151 proof rums, as suggested by the dude at the store, though at least the one we acquired was very low quality. It was James Harbor 151 and it cost fucking $14 for a fifth. It's even rougher than Bacardi 151.

That bottle of James Harbor 151 sits atop my refrigerator, three months later, only missing the two double shots that my brother and I did the day we bought it. I'd rather chug dry vermouth than touch that swill.

>where it can't be distilled any further at atmospheric pressure
An azeotropic mixture cannot be purified by distillation, regardless of ambient pressure.

user, that drops the concentration of alcohol...

Not true, cause you can buy 95% everclear, but only as a cleaning agent

If it's a cleaning agent then it's not liquor, is it?

Dont stop me from drinking it

yeah it doesn't work that way dude. You're going down, not up.

i used to make this cute mojito at my bar
>standard mojito
>float cucumber on top
>spoonful of 151 on top of the cucumber
>light it on fire
>call it mojito dell fuego
>charge double
>sell the shit out of them

>only as a cleaning agent

Wouldn't it have to be denatured then?

Backwards. And who the hell chases rum with overpriced vodka?