What are your thoughts on alcohol? I personally thinks it's fine to have a drink or two in the company of friends...

What are your thoughts on alcohol? I personally thinks it's fine to have a drink or two in the company of friends, but drinking alone is harmful and dangerous.

Other urls found in this thread:

alcoholrehab.com/alcoholism/dangers-of-drinking-alcohol-alone/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>drinking alone is harmful and dangerous

Explain how.

Alcohol is not a magic potion that changes properties depending on the number of people in the room.

Haven't been drinking this past month, it's more depressing, not sure if life or lack of al cohol

I prefer weed to alcohol

It's just a mediocre drug imo

for me, it's just easy to keep drinking once you've started if it's not tied to a social activity. there's no risk of getting so drunk you'll make an ass of yourself

Alcohol is one of the worst drugs out there. Humans just treat it as norm because it's been around for millennia. Weed and other Psychedelic drugs are a lot less dangerous or harmful than alcohol when taking after the human brain has fully developed. Alcohol quite literally destroys your brain cells and poisons your organs. Even if you're just a social drinker or only drink a small amount,it's still a poison corrupting your body. I'm not advocating for using psychedelic drugs instead (personally I choose to neither drink alcohol or take any other drugs) but I'm only making the point that we should really start to rethink about how we treat alcohol in today's society.

t. stoner

You're beyond saving.

>regards F. E. Dora

What ever happened to this guy?

>guy

In my teen years I smoked weed every day, haven't touched it since I was about 23 years old because it worsens my depression and bipolar symptoms

Had about a three year period when I was doing psyches every weekend too (shrooms and acid), when I finally stopped I decided those also weren't doing any favors to me mentally and I had enough fun times with em

However, I've been drinking every day since I was about 18 and still do, drinking right now as a matter of fact at 1:50 PM, it makes me happy and calms me down

TLDR, all drugs effect people differently....alcohol might be poisoning me physically, but not mentally like certain other substances, and it makes me feel good, so I do it, weed on the other hand makes me feel shit, so I don't smoke it.

This is why some people hate potheads, you all think you can save the world with weed and refuse to accept that it's not appealing to some people

This guy (female) disappeared.

I find her weirdly funny.

I don't drink because the Glorious Quran forbids it, and with good reason. Alcoholism is widespread in the decadent infidel lands. Alcohol impairs judgement and control. Habitual alcohol use can lead to impotence, cirrhosis, heart disease, cancer, and many other chronic ailments. Women who imbibe alcohol during pregnancy risk giving birth to children with fetal alcoholism. Alcohol has low nutritional value and it impairs motor skills and reaction time. Alcohol is a dangerous vice not only to the drinker but to society: a large proportion of violent crimes are committed while under the influence of alcohol, alcoholics often ruin their relationships with family and friends, and alcohol leads to accidents at work and when driving.

I already said in my post that I don't take any drugs.

Also,the problems that arose from you smoking weed was because your brain was undeveloped plus you were doing it everyday. Studies show now that the brain fully develops at around the age of 25. That's why alcohol isn't affecting you as badly as the weed because you only started to consume it regularly when your brain had developed. If you hadn't smoked weed when you were a teenager and instead smoked it when you were at the age you are now,you would probably be having the same affects.

I agree,some drugs affect others differently but I'm only referring to the majority.

She probably moved around a lot as a kid and didn't have a lot of friends. We all have different ways of coping.

Drinking alone never made anyone an alcoholic.

Tell that to my father....

Lass, it's exactly why many are alcoholic

Holy shit, BTFO by double quads. HOLY FAZOLI'S

WA
LA

>Also,the problems that arose from you smoking weed was because your brain was undeveloped plus you were doing it everyday. Studies show now that the brain fully develops at around the age of 25. That's why alcohol isn't affecting you as badly as the weed because you only started to consume it regularly when your brain had developed. If you hadn't smoked weed when you were a teenager and instead smoked it when you were at the age you are now,you would probably be having the same affects.

That's all very interesting but I beg to differ, I used to LOVE smoking weed initially, hence why the habit of smoking it every day developed, but there came a time where I realized it was worsening problems I had naturally, and still have, such as depression, anxiety, paranoia, etc....these are all things I have already and weed just seemed to be making them worse, meanwhile I was drinking at the time too albeit I started drinking HEAVILY a couple years later, but alcohol doesn't do that to me and never has

It's just a theory of mine, but I feel like weed doesn't end up being ideal if you're the kind of person who already has issues keeping your mind straight, while alcohol kind of makes it easier since it pretty much dumbs down your thoughts rather than enhance them, or at least that's how it feels to me

Wrong.

Someone who isn't an alky can drink alone exactly the same as they would with a group. An alky CANNOT drink without increasingly bad consequences, whether alone or with a group.

Doesn't matter where either person does it, the results are the same.

Source?

Well,like I said,drugs affect different people. Weed gave you depression and anxiety but alcohol can also have the same affects on others and vice versa.

There is a such thing as being a functional alcoholic, some alcoholics might go their entire life without getting in a fight, losing a job, or whatever other stereotypical bad things associated with it

If someone consistently makes an ass of themselves when drinking with people then they're an idiot.

If someone drinks alone consistently they are dependent.

There is nothing inherently bad about moderate alcohol consumption. In fact, some literature even suggests it may be good for overall health and longevity. The whole liver argument is a meme. Used in moderation, it's no worse than regularly taking ibuprofen (which btw has also been scientifically shown to improve overall health and wellbeing as it reduces inflammatory factors throughout the body which can exist without pain)

The real issue is that it's psychologically and physically addicting. So you need to find a way around that

The program of Alcoholics Anonymous.

They all die of the disease if they continue to drink. Also the ones who have no practical consequences (at least until they die an alcoholic death), are spiritually miserable, you can bank on that

Anyone who suffers negative consequences and keeps doing it is addicted, period.

That's not a real source unless you show some pamphlets or a link, my friend. I can't find anything on my own Google sources, so I can't take your words in good faith.

You don't need a source, because I don't need a source. It's common knowledge what that guy stated.

Alcoholism is a physical and psychological addiction device. Not everyone gets addicted, and some people are quite functional on it when they are addicted. Whatever your genetic predisposition and makeup, educated or dysfunctional childhood or anecdotal evidence isn't going to prove what is the commonly held beliefs about it. If you want to know more, get a bit into neuroscience and addiction medicine.

The problem on top of it all, is that the already depressed, the already bipolar/schizo, or whatever anxiety disordered people should stay away from ANY and all drugs, but they don't, you see. They seem to only feel normal when they are mellowed out on it, and yet the more they are on it, the more it exacerbates their imbalances, and all the badly done behaviors that their lifestyle creates. And, that in and of itself lies the problem. Some people if they have the foreknowledge about themselves or their family had no concept of moderation, and abuse anything and everything, from online addiction, behaviors that wreck school early on, and family life, and leads to job losses, mediocrity in life, and its these very same people who decry pharmaceutical assistance, or anything else that makes sense to the rest of the world. It's a vicious cycle.

People who use it for stress reduction are just fine. The people who are uneducated and face little ways out of their stress, mostly those predisposed, are making their lives worse because of the CNS depressant effects, and the poor sleep one gets on it, when the recuperative time for brain chemicals requires the deepest of REM sleep.
The more you know...

Go read a few articles, kiddo!

>be overweight
>start drinking a lot sometime late last year
>get fatter
>do a pull up
>get stretchmarks
>stop drinking
tl;dr alcohol makes you JUST

>You don't need a source because I don't need a source.
Hahahaha holy shit I'm laughing so hard.

>Drinking at home alone can indicate a serious problem, such as a mental illness or alcoholism. If a person is suffering from anxiety, for example, alcohol could be used as a medicine to calm thoughts and help them relax. However, self-medicating with alcohol or any other substance can lead to a more serious and harmful problem with alcohol. Tolerance and dependency on alcohol can develop easier for some people, especially if they have other problems that need to be resolved.
alcoholrehab.com/alcoholism/dangers-of-drinking-alcohol-alone/

whoever wrote that is a pussy

that's not frank that's pikachu

I enjoy drinking alone. I rarely drink more than one or two beers, but when I'm alone i can do whatever I want and it's usually made better with a little booze. Plus I just really like beer.

Yea - utter shite.

I drink at home with my dogs exclusively. I don't have to pretend to be entertained by stupid soccer moms who know how the world works or fake millionaires at the local bars. I don't have to burp quietly.

And best of all, when the bottle is gone the day is over.

You're an alcoholic, lad.

This actually

I don't know if it is physically addicting... Versus psychologically addicting. That I can agree with wholeheartedly. But I don't know if anyone can say they they just "need their next hit" the way a crack addict would versus just "needing" the alcohol to numb the pain (psychological, emotional, or physical) of whatever they were dealing with. Not trying to troll here, does anyone have proof of actual physical addiction (short of needing more to get the same effect due to built up tolerance)?

are you 12?

What if...What if I do both?

I like alcohol. Or more accurately, I like many drinks that are alcoholic.

I don't mind people who don't like alcohol, whether it's because of health concerns, religious reasons, or because they just never had any alcoholic drink they liked. However, any of those Ï once had a beer and I didn't like it, that means all alcohol is objectively bad" autistic fucking manchildren can just fuck right off.

It's depressing how many people like that exist in this world.

I don't like how any alcohol tastes. The only time I drink is to get drunk and that's only 2-3 times a year with specific people. I hate getting drunk with people I don't know. I get too loose and chatty which is the opposite of how I am sober. It's annoying as hell dealing with people you talked to drunk when you're sober.

I don't even drink order a beer when I go out for a drink with friends at a bar or something.

Whatever the term is.

As they say - I am a drunk. Alcoholics go to meetings.

A thing that surprises me quite a bit here at the chan is how codified, calorie counting, rule following, public policy adhering, moderator calling, whining, sniveling and just plain pussified it has become.

This used to be where people who didn't want to waste their lives on Fetttid came to waste their lives. Now there isn't much difference.

Sad.

>I don't know if it is physically addicting
are you actually retarded? a hardcore alcoholic can actually die from seizures if he tries to quit cold turkey. if alcoholic bums have to be taken to a hospital late at night for what ever reason, they'll often even be given a beer before going to sleep so they can keep some kind of intoxication level and don't die in the middle of the night because their body can't handle being sober all of a sudden. do some research before talking about things you have no idea of

It is physically addicting. In an effort to maintain equilibrium, your brain downregulates GABA production (the neurorecepter which alcohol stimulates) because you're always drinking alcohol. If you remove the stimulus, your body is not able to instantly adjust (takes time to do this, often weeks, and depends on other variables) and now you are left with a massive GABA deficit so there is nothing to calm your excited CNS and you have a fat seizure and maybe die

Thank you for this detailed response.

>retarded for asking a question
Not an alcoholic and have been around alcoholics but none that had severe/potentially fatal side effects. Forgive my ignorance.

It's fine I guess but withdrawals are pretty common knowledge. Google delirium tremens (also a badass song by katalepsy)

Lived through DTs four times. Have to admit I was triggered as fuck and almost responded buttmad when he said he didn't think it was physically addictive.

It's fun, but easy to abuse or simply fuck up and drink too much. Still, a smart person without an addictive personality can indulge with no real risks. Simply drink in moderation and be sure to hydrate with pure water periodically. Know your tolerance and have fun. Whether you drink alone or with friends is a matter of taste. I do both.

Opposite for me tbqh. Weed just doesn't do a lot for me.

That's some of the cringiest shit I have ever seen.

Drinking alone is fine and fun as long as you're not drinking alone to hide how much you're drinking

Really drinking is only a problem if you're blowing tons of money or blacking out and feeling like shit every morning

Like even at my worst I only got noticeably hungover like 3 times. It felt like shit so I never drank that much regularly. Even the night before, when you get that drunk it doesn't feel that good anymore. you're dizzy and scatterbrained

just don't be stupid

>If a person is suffering from anxiety, for example, alcohol could be used as a medicine to calm thoughts and help them relax.

why is this a problem

95% of the time I'm drinking alone.
Used to go out to drink lots, but then I got seriously bad depression and never left the house... now I have very few friends left to drink with.
I've been coming out in really bad rashes this past year or so, and I'm pretty sure it's to do with how much and how regularly I drink.
Not drinking for the next week to see if it affects my rashes or not.

This definitely sounds like it was written by an honest, concerned citizen with my best interests at heart.

i drink to feel better about myself, to forget, and to stop being an anxious piece of shit

it's pretty alright so far

How much do you even have to be drinking a day to NOT be able to go cold turkey??

I've never tasted any alcohol I liked, and in general I dislike the idea of numbing my senses.
It's just not for me.

I don't care whether others drink, though I don't think it's a good idea.

Heh, I'm of the same mind. I keep my senses sharp, but of course my blade is sharper. For your sake, I hope we don't cross paths again.

>Alcohol is not a magic potion that changes properties depending on the number of people in the room.
its properties are universally dangerous, and it acts as a depressant.

relegating it to being drunk socially provides context for it that at least exposes you to some measure of control—if not your own, then that of your colleagues.

drinking alone risks establishing a habit with no need of context, which sets precedent for abuse.

Alcohol over weed for me, too.
I've never not had a bad trip on weed, and it makes no sense.

>Alcoholics Anonymous
AA isn't about curing alcoholism so much as it's about creating new christians.

Why do you feel the need to criticize people just because they are different from you?

Not that guy but where are you even seeing criticism?

>but of course my blade is sharper. For your sake, I hope we don't cross paths again.
Implying that one who doesn't drink must be a holier-than-thou sword-wielding fedoralord.

You're the one making that implication.

*tips fedora*

There is no cure for alcoholism, and AA is not a Christian or even religious program. There are a few rehabs/halfway houses that are both 12 step and Christ-centered, but not every AA is a Christian by far. Hell, I lived at such a place for nearly a year and never once had to pretend to believe any Jesus bullshit or even pretend to like the weird ritualistic aspects of AA, I just had to want to live without drinking.

>or even religious program.

How can you say that when one of the "12 steps" is "believe in a higher power"?

Obviously different AA groups will vary, and I'm sure that not all of them will try and ram Jesus down your throat. But it's pretty damn clear from the 12 steps that religion is involved.

One can practice the steps with Jesus or whatever and be religious about it, but it would be frowned upon to tell someone else they need to do that. At least among the AAs I know. I consider the power greater than myself to be the reality of the consequences of my actions, for example. That's about as non-mystical a higher power as one can get.

>believe in a higher power
i once read in an al/ck/ thread that someone in some anons AA group told him his higher power was Gandalf, so i guess one can choose what ever he wants without it having to be religiously motivated

Pointing out an implication doesn't equate to making it.

Many athiests simply choose the AA group as the higher power. Part of the genius of Bill W., the founder, was to emphasize a theistic higher power was not a requirement. At one point he even said choose a door knob as your higher power if that floats your boat.

Clearly, the 12 steps are an application of the Christian ethic, but belief in god is not a requirement. In fact, some chapters in the goofball evangelical south have lost their accreditation due to Christ centered conversion tactics.

Aye, whatever helps someone live without obsessing over changing the way they feel. And the steps aren't the only way to do that, they're just what worked for me. I'll admit a lot of AAs get unreasonably defensive about the steps being the end-all be-all and they hurt the program's reputation desu.

It does when you're pulling it out of nowhere.

i love getting blackout drunk with friends but never drink alone

dude, it's time to stop posting

why dont you fuck off

Kill yourself.

>being this assblasted
just go back to /tv/ or whatever underaged board you came from, you're neither funny nor original. and please take your fedoras with you

>damage control

same. it's honestly great. i was so anxious for years and it helped me feel like a normal human being

I always drink alone, and won't hardly touch the stuff in social settings. My family has always had boisterous abusive drunks, so I think my quite, and reflective alcoholism is better. Been off for four days though and feels good.

I wouldn't drink it smoke some pot mate

Who gives a shit? Drink as much as you want if you're of legal age and are paying for it with legal tender. As long as you're showing up to work and getting bills paid you're good. Let the listerine breath strips do the rest.

Welcome to adulthood, pussies.

Keep it up lad

Unless your lactose intolerant than you'll just be shitting for days...Hershey's anyone!

It's not unless you are a psychologist with a mortgage to pay.

Good way to live, friend. The only time to start worrying about others is if they start infringing on the livelihood of you and yours.

+1. Incredibly underrated post.

>people saying alcohol better than weed
>people saying we're better than alcohol
>not liking both equally at the same time

Knock knock Veeky Forums

>everyone used to be a failure at life, now only i am

>What are your thoughts on alcohol?
He's a pretty cool guy.