Charro Beans aka Cowboy Beans

Time for some more cooking!

2 lbs pinto beans, Tomatillos, garlic, poblano, green bell pepper, jalapenos, dried guajillo and ancho chilis, onion, cilantro, tomatoes, and chipotles.

Ham, pig's feet (split), and bacon.

Not shown, but required: A good amount of homemade chicken or pork stock.

Cut the bacon into small pieces and start cooking it.

Build wall

Bacon coming along nicely

>no cervaysaah

I'm American. I came here form Europe.

Anyway, next step. Take the bacon out leaving the fat behind. Sear your pig's feet. Be careful not to burn anything....brown fond is OK, black is not! I cut it pretty close here (new stove cooking hotter than I'm used to)

this thread will be approximately 30 posts long while a jack thread will grow to ~230 posts

really makes u think

We're getting to that.

Bacon and feet done.

Pretty sad isn't it? You should post some of your cooking too.

Dried chilis go in the blender. Pour in a beer or two and let them soak. (Ideally this would have been done first, but hey...)

Onion goes in the pot. The moisture from the onions will deglaze the fond.

Onions cooking down...

Rinse your beans. No need to soak them since this is going to be a really long, slow, cook.

Other veggies chopped and ready to go. From top to bottom: garlic, jalapenos, tomatillos, poblano, green bell pepper.

When the onions are sweated down get the other veggies in there and make sure you scrape up any remaining sticky fond.

Stock goes in, then the beans.

Put the heat on low.

Cut up your ham.

Remember the dried peppers soaking in the beer? Blend that. I like to see little flakes of chili in this dish so I just pulsed it a bit rather than going for a full-on puree. Pour that into the pot. Add the pig's feet and the bacon too.

A nice heaping spoonful of crushed chipotles

Add: half the package of tomatoes, a couple fresh bay leaves, cumin, mexican oregano, and some cilantro.

Be careful with the cilantro, it's flavor gets much stronger as the dish cooks or sits for a while. Add a little at first then taste and check later. You can always add more but if you add too much now then you're screwed.

Gentle simmer. Plan on this taking anywhere from four to six hours depending on how fresh the beans are.

Here we are partway through cooking.

After a while there will be a layer of fat that accumulates on top. Skim that off every once in a while.

...still cooking....this is at about hour 3.

I tasted it for seasoning and decided it wasn't spicy enough. We can fix that. Fresh ground black pepper and some ghost chili!

dab that ghost chili on your eyeball plz

...plus some Arbol chilis for that sharp bite they provide.

I put the arbols in the blender and then dumped in a ladeful of the liquid from the pot.

Puree it, then pour back into the pot.

I checked it again at hour 4. Beans still aren't done. More cooking...low and slow....

Beans were perfect at about 5 hours.

Fish out the pig's feet. Discard the bones, chop the meat and put the meat back in.

Serve!

looks good, I do want an excuse to try using pig feet in something.

need a way bigger pot though

They make awesome stock too!

Here's a tray of chicken wings and pig's feet I roasted in the oven for making ramen stock.

Pig's feet and the wings are in the bottom of this pressure cooker. Roasted chicken feet on top (those also make fuckwin stock) The dark brown stuff is Chinese ham.

I would help if I remembered the pic.

Here's what the stock looks like right after I opened the cooker (it hasn't been skimmed or strained yet)

marvelous

Jesus christ yes

im rock hard right now

That you marmalade guy?

Nope. I've never made marmalade.

I did post a thread about gumbo, and I also posted in the recent chili thread.

>samefagging this hard

do americans really do this?

see

Love cowboy beans. Love it when people can be bothered to make good honest cooking threads on Veeky Forums.

That looks fantastic, is it just chicken feet with ham and water?

Why is that ashtray on your countertop?

Chicken wings, pig's feet, and chicken feet roasted in the oven first. Chinese ham. Water. 3 hours at 1 bar in the pressure cooker, or 9 hours in an open pot.

Season to taste with soy sauce and mirin when you're done cooking it.

Never seen a mortar and pestle before, user? It's for grinding spices, etc. In this case, black pepper. Fresh ground spices are much tastier than pre-ground. They keep longer too.

Yeah, I have that exact same mortar and pestle and use it to grind all my spices. An inexpensive lifetime investment. You can will that to your grandchildren.