Liver and Onions

Who else here enjoys liver and onions? A very underrated dish imo. I've only ever had it at bars and diners, but today I finally picked up a piece of liver to cook at home. Any tips on how to cook it? I hear that even slightly overcooking can make it as tough as leather, so I want to be careful. I also don't really like cooking with my frying pan so I was planning on baking it in the oven.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=EGWKDkI0K-U
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Calf liver is very good, as long as the liver is fresh and it's not overcooked

If you bought beef liver, I'm sorry. It's terrible and nothing can fix it

Pan nice and hot, splash of oil, sear it off (30 seconds a side) season, finish in oven (8-10 mins for lamb), done.
Liver is finnicky because slightly over is dry as all fuck, and under is chewy and unhealthy
As for onions, i have found carsmelising is best for this dish. Slice fine and add to the oven with the liver.
Remember that different animals have different tasting livers mayn.

Liver and bacon is my favourite.

Beef is all they had at the grocery store, unfortunately.

>so I was planning on baking it in the oven.
Very bad idea.

When you cook liver you want the outside to be seared but the inside not overcooked. That will be nearly impossible to achieve without a pan.

>> I also don't really like cooking with my frying pan

Lolwhat? Care to explain what the problem is so maybe we can help fix this?

That assumes a very thick piece of liver. Remember cooking time depends on thickness. If your liver is sliced thin then all you need to do is sear it a minute or so on each side and that's it. Done.

Also, it takes nearly an hour to carmelize onions. You're talking about sauteed or roasted, not carmelized.

>As for onions, i have found carsmelising is best for this dish. Slice fine and add to the oven with the liver.

Excellent idea. I was iffy about just tossing the raw onion onto the liver because I am not usually an onion man, but this method would alleviate my concerns.

never tried it but it always reminds me of that episode of Doug

>cube very small like 1/4th an inch
>slice onions thin
>a lot vegetable oil, enough to cover all the liver
>PAN NICE AND HOT
>fry liver for 30 seconds, then add onions for another 30 seconds
>done eat

I have and I agree with Doug.

I like animal entrails in general but it sucks buying them because they're fucken unhealthy as shit. If only there was a local source for free ranged, I would substitute it with my protein immediately. I can eat that shit all day but I prefer liver grilled or fried in garlic, ginger, scallions, and cilantro seasoned with soy sauce. Fire!

I love an egg salad with chicken livers and fried onions. I haven't tried it, but I'd imagine diced bacon would be great in it too.

Try pan-fried pork liver with lots of garlic and black pepper. Similar to OP's pic but crispier.

I always slice mine into thin strips and dredge with flour, salt, pepper, and paprika and then give a quick pan fry.

Yum, my mom makes it occasionally when I come over

My grandpa was big into pigeon racing and each spring my grandma would make me some pigeon liver for dinner.

She just coated them in flour and then cooked them in a pan. Compared to other livers, pigeon's is saltier and has almost no bitter aftertaste, really underrated.

Ive worked in kitchens for fifteen years in the midwest. I tried l+o. Horrendous. Texture of hot rubber, smells toxic raw, dead while cooking, and rotten once plated. L+o is one of the oldest memes. Used to be very cheap easy to feed family high in iron oh yea and cholesterol and now the price is way higher too. The l+o i served had two 6oz slice of liver lightly pan seared with a splash of buttah cooked under a lid with the onions, came with salad or soup and two sides for 8.95. Was very good im told and a "deal for the money".

Tbqhwuf i think these people have braindamage and and if you enjoy the taste of organ ill assume you enjoy tubesteak as well. Liver is in no way suitable for any type of fine dining, hell, people been using it as bait to catch retarded ass fish for centuries. What the fuck does that make you mongrels who be all "muh liver and onion" fuck u

not every meal in life has to be high quality three michelin star gourmet experience.

As for liver,
You don't want it overcooked, that's what most people fuck up with.

Let it warm to room temperature, you can soak it in water to get some of the bitterness out (I've seen everyone tell me to use milk but that's a waste of milk tbqh)

I don't like onions, instead I make onion soup and slap liver on top.

You can also coat it in flour if you want.

Soak the liver in milk to absorb the smell and some of the blood taste of it. Pat dry afterwards. Add to hot skillet with plenty of oil, and take care to not overcook. Flip, add onions, saute those down, and you'll be set.

Mushroom gravy with liver and onions is top tier.

If you have to do this much just to remove the flavor of the thing you are eating, whats the porpoise?

You don't. Idk why people say to, the texture is the part that weirds me out. It coats your teeth. It's like veeeeerrry soft ground beef or somethig

My personal liver rankings:

Highest tier:
Goose liver
Duck liver

High tier:
Pork liver
Chicken liver

Good tier:
Calf's liver

Meh tier:
Beef liver

Bad tier:
Lamb's liver

Shit tier:
Sheep's liver

Never had tier:
All other livers

I prepare all of them the same way: wine-caramelise some onions in butter, lard, tallow or poultry grease, add floured livers, cook to just under desired doneness and, finally, serve.
If it's pork liver or a bird's liver, I add some cream near the end, reduce and make a paste of it to spread on toast.
I also smoke pork liver to make smoked pork liver soup and use pork liver to make pork liver sausage from time to time, as well.
Have the butcher run it through the mincer then mix it 1:1 with fatty mince at home.
Add egg whites and run through the processor with wine-caramelised onions to a mousse-like consistency.
Stir in corn starch and various seasonings, then stuff into casings.

I think pigeon meat in general tastes of liver. I like it, though.

youtube.com/watch?v=EGWKDkI0K-U
Try this, pretty good.

400-500 g chickenliver (pref fresh)
ca 50 g margrin(?) butter
ca ¾ tsk salt
ca 1 tsk grovmortlad blackpeppar
minst 1½ dl mycket smokeymaltwhisky, helst Laphroaig
ev. 1-2 dl heavy cream

whatever you do make sure you soak the liver in milk

>In the Midwest

Opinion discarded

>le soak in milk meme
How long, fuckers. You faggots never explain shit.

an hour or two before cooking it, it leeches out the bitterness

Thank you.

So l+o is a staple in high end establishments on both coasts and hipster faggots can cater better to boomers than my menu.

>soaking in milk

why would anyone want to remove the iron flavor of liver? It's like trying to take the gamey flavor of venison or even some lamb. Might as well eat something else.

>frozen sysco livers are bad, therefore people who like liver are hipsters

I bet you guys used bagged hollandaise

>I bet you guys used bagged hollandaise

Anything bagged or frozen i dont fux wit.
Btw jus cuz im flyover doesnt mean i am restricted to the monopolized food supply