Redpill me on Rice cookers

Are they worth it?
If yes, recommend me good entry-level models please. As I understood, Japanese brands are the best ?
I'm a student living in a dorm so looking for one on the smaller side

Also Rice cooker general I guess

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=5JZs0wNKYY4
youtube.com/watch?v=Sxz_bGskjNg
panasonic.com/ca/consumer/home-appliances/rice-cookers/microcomputer-controlled/sr-df101.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Rice cookers will make rice better than a pot if you get a good one.

Japanese brands are best, Zoujirushi is best of the Japanese brands, anything non-locking lid is shit and not worth buying.

>anything non-locking lid is shit and not worth buying.
Ok so pic-related for example is not worth buying?

It doesn't really matter. If you can cook anything, you can cook rice as good as it can get in either a pot or an automatic cooker

What matters is the rice you buy

I own a $13 rice cooker and it's the best fucking thing I could have. That thing saves me so much headache when I need some rice. Completely worth it.

Hell I would love to have that.

Correct. An Aroma with a locking lid is only going to be $10 extra.

Aroma is a good brand? What about tiger?

>Rice cookers will make rice better than a pot if you get a good one

While this may be true if you are boring and eat plain rice all day long with a pot and some knowledge you can make superior rice dishes like risotto and pilaf.

Frankly the only reason to ever own a rice cooker is the pancakes meme.

This operates simply by turning off when the temperature exceeds the boiling point of water, and doesn't produce better rice than a regular pot. It's a simple convenience for lazy people, like a slow cooker, and frequently produces inferior results compared to the old school method made by someone who knows what they're doing.

This is a fuzzy logic rice cooker, and costs 10 times more than the first example. It has a little computer inside that monitors a bunch of different factors of the cooking process and constantly adjusts the temperature. YOU CAN'T MAKE RICE LIKE A FUZZY LOGIC RICE COOKER IN A REGULAR POT UNLESS YOU'VE SPENT 3 YEARS STUDYING WITH JIRO. No. Fuck off. You can't. If you think you can you're wrong and you have shit taste.

Many people really don't care enough to buy a rice cooker at all, but if you eat rice 2-3 times a week, a good quality Japanese fuzzy logic rice cooker is an amazing investment. A $15 on-off rice cooker is dorm room tier.

Alright thanks, I'm not a rice elitist, I just want something that makes decent rice fast and easy so I'll probably go with the a cheap one

>a good quality Japanese fuzzy logic rice cooker

what a time to be alive

>fuzzy logic rice cooker
No thanks, I already have one that uses stochastic optimal control and time series regression analysis.

this pretentious faggot pretending there is some high quality rice cooker that will make god tier rice, such bullshit

just learn to cook it on the stove, very simple process, and then sift your rice before cooking and its 100x better

rice cooker rice is fucking awful, usually a messy awfully textured mush because the rice are cooked in those small ass containers and with electric heat which fucking sucks and usually takes forever, then when you take it out, its always this nasty texture because the rice wasn't spread out enough, so its all compacted and you probably used like a fucking paddle and scooping rice up like its a fucking paste, because thats how fucking awful your rice is

Retard alert

nah i guarantee i can cook rice better than you
you're just a lazy faggot making like 5 of these threads a month to rationalize your stupid fucking purchase of some stupid overpriced rice cooker
enjoy your mushy paste you think is properly cooked rice

>rice cooker thread
>don't use a rice cooker

Nigga I've never created s thread on Veeky Forums and I make my rice in a frying pan you little bitch

I fucking love mine but Its all I've ever had. Rice cookers are essential.

Oh yeah? Well I cook my rice sous vide.

I bought a cheap one, for like 15 bucks, like this oneIts crap, rice gets burned.
Going back to the pot.

O yeah? Well I dredge every single individual grain of rice in flour then coat in liquified foie fat then deep fry, then assemble the, into a perfect to scale recreation of the Louvre. Fuck you.

ITT: Becky with the Bad Grades feels left out and tries to make the conversation about her

I invite lost European-Americans to follow these directions home:

Also, op, your roommates are going to wreck your rice cooker, don't get anything fancier than this for now Later when you are out of the dorms get a Zoji like an adult

So what happened is that you bought a rice cooker, disregarded the manual and used it wrong, and now you are too much of a chickenshit to understand why you fucked up?

I don't have the space for unitaskers

Yeah, rice cookers let you set and forget while you prep and do other food work. It's not essential but damn if it ain't convenient. And that's all it is, it prevents you from burning the rice if you prepared it proper.

You've made me smile, user.

>he doesn't even mince his rice before preparing it
Get on my level scrub

I've got the zojirushi pictured there and I love it to death. That said, it got it from craigslist for like 50 bucks, and I think they're like 150 new.

Rice cookers are good if you really don't know what you are doing and don't want to learn. The problem is you can't adjust enough variables with a rice cooker. For instance, how much do you want to rinse your rice first? Do you want all the starch, some of it, most of it? Do you want to cook it in different liquids at different stages (like a risotto, where you add liquid as you cook)? Do you want to cook in "layers" so you can do like one dish in 1 pot sort of thing (think rice and beans with chicken).

Rice cookers are good, but I think once you learn how to actually cook just using a pot is a vastly superior option. Also a big, big, problem with rice cookers is they all cook rice the "asian" way. You're never going to get good middle eastern rice out of a rice cooker. You are never going to get the glorious brown crunchy rice paddy at the bottom with a rice cooker.

I don't understand this meme. If you use a pot you rinse the rice, put in a pot, put your liquid in a pot, then let it cook under lid. You don't open it, you don't stir it, you don't check on it. It's just as set and forget as a rice cooker.

Dorm life get a 3 cup capacity. Cuckoo or sanyo will be cheap and serviceable. When you have your own life get a made in japan zoji, preferably the ih models (I think only ih and pressure are still made in japam, around 230$,) and enjoy life.

Amazon has warehouse deals. Just clicked on the "used" link under a product. Make sure it's fulfilled by Amazon. You can get a Zojirushi for $60.

When I bought mine, it still had shrink wrap and everything else. Must have been a case of buyer's remorse, and Amazon had no choice but to sell it used. Sometimes the package simply gets damaged, and it gets returned. Amazon will list it as "item comes repackaged" but it's never. been. used. Yeah, you don't get the box which may or may not be a collector's item someday (it won't), but you get the machine and that's really what you want.

I wish I was single again, because it would have absolutely transformed my life when I was. It gets used maybe once a week now that I'm married. I don't feel as frugal as I could have.

a rice cooker isnt as good as this
youtube.com/watch?v=5JZs0wNKYY4

Except that if you forget the rice on a range you get burnt shit. Most ranges don't turn themselves off.

>It's just as set and forget as a rice cooker

Yeah, I don't think you understand what "set it and forget it" means.

I know you're going to kick, whine, and continue to argue, but if you know what time you want to eat at, you can even set your rice cooker for that time and have perfect rice done exactly when your other food is ready. Until you've had it I don't think you really understand how nice it is.

>meme
What does that even mean nowadays? Everyone has been misusing it for so long, it no longer has meaning.

>I don't understand this meme

I like them for 3 reasons:
1) It literally is set and forget. If you forget a pot on the stove then it will burn the shit out of your rice.

2) It frees up a much-needed burning on the stove for other things.

3) The rice cookers with the pressurized locking lid do a better job cooking rice than a normal pot with a lift-off lid.

I can understand that as a student in a dorm, you might really enjoy a rice cooker. If you come and go and want to return to rice already cooked, awesome. If you want it to stay warm clear through a second meal, awesome.

Buying tip: I would say since you are not in a full kitchen setup where you could soak a pot, you will want one that is nonstick interior!

Rice cookers are fantastic, as mentioned, get one that locks.

Also, as if you needed more of an excuse to get one, if you fancy making your own bread they're perfect for making loaves too.

youtube.com/watch?v=Sxz_bGskjNg

I have made rice in a microwave. 1:1 ratio water:rice. Cover with a damp towel. microwave till cooked.
Works better with white rice than brown rice.

Yes, YOU CAN. USING CAPS AND MAKING SWEEPING STATEMENTS DOESN'T MAKE YOU RIGHT.

Seriously, get off your high horse, buck-o. The only reason to ever consider getting a rice cooker is convenience. Give me a shitty stainless steel pot and I'll make rice just as good as your shitstain rice cooker.

Rice cooks better under pressure senpai. It's a fact.

If you ask to be 'redpilled' on anything you deserve to be told nothing but lies and misinformation.

Im sure the Japanese knows what to do with their rice compared to some user on Mongolian yurt weaving website

Kek

>your roommates are going to wreck your rice cooker, don't get anything fancier than this for now (You)
>Later when you are out of the dorms get a Zoji like an adult
I don't have roommates, I live in a single dorm room + I went shopping today and the small Black and Decker non-locking lid one felt really flimsy and cheap + said his rice got burned in it...

I also found pic related (panasonic sr-df101, it has Fuzzy logic tech but no screen) for $80 and I liked it a lot more. I think it would be good compromise between a cheap non-locking lid one and an expensive zojirushi as I can't afford a $300 zoji

panasonic.com/ca/consumer/home-appliances/rice-cookers/microcomputer-controlled/sr-df101.html

>I can't afford a $300 zoji
You don't need the induction ones unless you're making GABA rice, the regular fuzzy units are fine and cost like $110

That isn't really true
A rice cooker is really only good if you need to cook huge amounts of rice.
Rice cooker rice and pot rice will be the exact same provided you know how to actually use a pot to cook rice.

Owning a rice cooker doesn't prevent you from cooking risotto or pilaf. But they are dish in themselves and most of the time rice is a complement to the more time consuming dish

Naw you can't

:3

I got a £10 one off eBay and I swear by it, cooks whatever you want, stick a few things it and come back in 20 minutes, no worries.

I've often heard you can use a rice cooker as a slow cooker, is this basically a one to one translation for any slow cooker recipe?

Rice cookers are not only fast, easy to use and cheap...
They're also pretty efficient.

When you eat alot of rice (which can happen) a rice cooker is really the first thing to get.
It is far superior than any pan.

not really, you can bake in some rice cookers and some rice cookers are slow cookers but it'd be labelled as such

>In a dorm room equivalent only without a college enrolment and good prospects for the future

Sounds good!