What's the price of generic cheese wheel the size like in pic related?

What's the price of generic cheese wheel the size like in pic related?

Cheese is not part of our diet here so there are no big wheel like this in my supermarket. I kinda want to know how much this actually cost tho. Average is ok.

Other urls found in this thread:

williams-sonoma.com/products/full-wheel-of-parmigiano-reggiano-cheese/
williams-sonoma.com/m/products/parmigiano-reggiano-cheese/?cm_src=AutoRel
cheesemaking.com/learn/faq/beginner-cheese-maker.html
culturesforhealth.com/learn/category/cheese/
lmgtfy.com/?q=how to make cheese at home
lmgtfy.com/?q=home cheese making equipment
youtube.com/watch?v=4VbuBcNCgAc
amazon.com/igourmet-Beemster-26-Month-Extra-Gouda/dp/B0000D9MYM
youtube.com/watch?v=6UsTemOI1Ek
trurodaily.com/news/local/2014/3/21/wheely-big-cheese-event-in-truro-aims-3659061.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

low hundreds likely

That looks like parmagianno-reggiano. Those wheels are 85 lbs. Typical price for that cheese is about $20/lb, so that would be about $1700 for a whole wheel.

>That looks like parmagianno-reggiano
ace detective right here

it says it right there. thats the price for cut cheese, your looking $800-$1200 for a wheel.

Unless you're stupid enough to shop at Williams Sonomoa, in which case you pay even more!

williams-sonoma.com/products/full-wheel-of-parmigiano-reggiano-cheese/

yeah williams-sonoma.com/m/products/parmigiano-reggiano-cheese/?cm_src=AutoRel expensive, also i was talking price sold to retailers

dropping a G in SNAP to get some once in a life time cheddar going

>but you just know the cashier going to be salty

i should invest in the cheese industry

Is that Canadian "dollars", Australian dollarydoos, or what?

Reason I ask is, $20/lb is about double full retail price in the U.S., and I am talking about decent quality stuff (not Kraft wood-pulp).

American dollars.

I'd be surprised if you could find legit parmigiano-reggiano for $10/lb anywhere.

My local shops charge $21.95/lb for it. The lowest I've seen recently for it (again, legit parmigiano-reggiano) was $18.95/lb.

I saw a really big sale on it for likw $14.95/lb once in the northeast, but that was really spectacular.

Why is cheese so fucking expensive?
Inb4 it takes 10lb milk to make 1lb cheese + time, labor, storage space
Yeah, whatever. A gallon of milk is like $2, and is close to 10lbs. A 1/4 lb wedge of cheese has no business being close to $20 USD.

it's not as if you're not going to buy it.

>Cheese is not part of our diet here so there are no big wheel like this in my supermarket
dude I'm in the US, people here eat cheese every day, and we still don't have big cheese wheels like that in the supermarket.

I pay $11/lb for Reggiano quarter wheels.
Would probably drop 2 or 3 $/lb if I bought the whole wheel.

Make your own then

>be Italian
>go to the supermarket (pic related) and get some Grana Padano (pretty much the same as parmigiano reggiano) on sale for 7.99€/kg
>in order to sport the DOP (controlled origin denomination) label the cheese must satisfy quality requisites so no shit tier cheese allowed
>mfw don't even like it
>only eat Pecorino Romano god tier hard cheese

>dude I'm in the US...
dude, you're going to the wrong supermarket.

>pretty much the same as parmigiano reggiano
no

not him but is that even feasible?

It's around 10-20€/Kg in Italy depending on quality and brand, last time I've been in a grocery there. I've seen it at up to four times that price in different eu countries. I think it costs more where less people buy it.

>1 gallon of milk weighs 10lbs

Uh, no. 8.6 lbs is the correct answer. And you dismiss storage and aging as a cost because you've always been stored and aged in your parents' basement and thought it didn't cost anything. However, they've done a good job; you smell like a well aged cheese.

Of course, why wouldn't it be?

I said close to 10lb you twat.

Prove me wrong then.

dude, if I were interested in buying elephant-constipating quantities of cheese, then I'd definitely be going to the wrong supermarket. I'm not, though.

however, you do have a point in that it would probably be worth my while to pay for some well-made cheese and just eat less cheese overall. I'll add it to the list of dietary changes I've been chipping away at.

they said it was $20/lb though, not $20 for a 1/4 lb. and people can charge whatever they want for cheese. time, labour, and maintaining a storage space appropriate to aging cheese does cost. like the other poster said, try making it yourself and see how much it costs you.

it doesn't seem feasible

no, it's not feasible for you to make cheese. someone else, yes. but not you.

yeah, like for someone in a cheese factory

It's just salted milk with some rennet. There are plenty of tutorials on youtube.

It's like saying making your own bread isn't feasible. The only difference is that you have to put that loaf away for a few months

or someone who buys equipment and reads up on how to do it correctly.

shit, illiterate country fuckers in medieval europe who never left their own village and couldn't recite the alphabet at swordpoint could make fucking cheese. how much dumber are you?

>for a few months
Well that doesn't sound very feasible. And what the fuck is rennet?

>buys equipment
Depends what you mean by equipment.

The sign in the back left literally says $1000 wheels

cheesemaking.com/learn/faq/beginner-cheese-maker.html

culturesforhealth.com/learn/category/cheese/

lmgtfy.com/?q=how to make cheese at home

I mean like the kind of equipment batman has on his utility belt. batarangs and shit.

lmgtfy.com/?q=home cheese making equipment

>Well that doesn't sound very feasible
Why not? Are you going to die soon?

Because you could make your own mozzarella if you need a cheese quickly

>And what the fuck is rennet?
An enzyme that curdles milk, you can buy it from amazon or if you're völkisch you can get it by putting some dried calf stomach into water for a while

You sure that's a $ sign?
I'm thinking that they're breaking their 1000th wheel.
They're probably paying ~$1000 for each wheel themselves. That's roughly what I pay for mine,

This isn't looking very feasible, user.

>Because you could make your own mozzarella if you need a cheese quickly
I am pretty fond of mozzarella... tell me more.

>völkisch
?

yeah it's probably cost prohibitive if you're gonna make one batch of cheese per year, or make one batch and then throw all your equipment away. absolutely nothing in your picture looks unreasonable for someone who plans to make their own cheese on a regular basis. you sound like either a picky faggot or a troll who thinks it's funny to pretend making cheese is simultaneously a) dirt cheap and b) some kind of technomancy.

I'm gonna go find some grocery stores that have nice cheese. wish me luck anons!

youtube.com/watch?v=4VbuBcNCgAc

>I'm gonna go find some grocery stores that have nice cheese. wish me luck anons!
amazon.com/igourmet-Beemster-26-Month-Extra-Gouda/dp/B0000D9MYM

Here's a link with lighting
youtube.com/watch?v=6UsTemOI1Ek

our store paid 600$ ea for them, and they're selling for 1000. most complete wheels of cheese are 300 or so

how are they carrying it so easily if its 85 lbs

>$1000 a wheel
>$20 an lb so maybe $40 a kg give or take a little
>$10 a kg!

wew lad

It's a mock up for the adverts, child.

Makes sense to me -

aye, you're right, might not be $

trurodaily.com/news/local/2014/3/21/wheely-big-cheese-event-in-truro-aims-3659061.html

>What's the price of generic cheese wheel the size like in pic related?
In the US, at a cheese store, or in a finer grocery with actual cheese counter, you'll see half wheels of several cheeses, in displays. They slice off wedges of wedges, wrap in plastic wrap, you pick the size wedge that you want to buy, and it will have an exact price on it, based on weight. The "good" price for Parmigiano Reggiano that can only come from one region is USD10/lb at best price. The wheels stayed fresher with less cut surfaces. So they wouldn't slice up a whole wheel, just a few servings to put out at a time.

Every cheese has its sale, its price point, and I think it does have a lot to do with exchange rate and some price control when it is coming from a restricted small region. There is often a great alternative to the "real thing" if you shop somewhere with taste testing, you'll be able to do side by side comparisons and spend your money wiser. There will be some great alternative to gouda that isn't actually from holland, but usually from spain. A 10lb wheel might be $75-100, maybe less if you bring it over yourself from Curacao on vacation! For the average consumer, though, unless you only like one kind of cheese, getting whole wheels of that size is silly. You get a little sick of gouda and start to crave some cheddar, or some goat cheese.

To clarify for randos, most wheels of *other types of cheese are around 300-600$. We sell a lot of whole and large wedges at my store, usually still in the wax coatings

Not the same cheese.

I sincerely doubt he wants a wheel of parmesan.

They're holding a hollow plastic fake cheese that's used to make displays in the store.

Google it; standard weight for a wheel of Parmigiano-reggiano is ~85 lbs.