Can someone explain why hydroflasks are so popular?

Can someone explain why hydroflasks are so popular?

Thermos and others have had vacuum bottles for decades. What's the big deal all of a sudden when they haven't really got anything different?

Marketing

But this looks like such a good product for the man on the go. I sure it is reasonably priced for me your average Joe.
I wish more marketers knew that shilling is an art. Just look at the Subway people.

Environmentally friendly, keeps drinks cold/hot for long periods of time, highly durable yet lightweight and portable (so good for backpacking), an ad hoc bludgeon/hammer etc.

>hydroflasks

Never heard of it, is it only sold in 3rd world countries?

This. It's no different than the "Soda Stream". People think wow, I can make my own carbonated drinks! But pic related has been around for at least a century.

Many people aren't aware of older products so they fall for marketing easily.

But none of that is any different than old-fashioned vacuum flasks aka "thermos bottle"

I don't know what they are talking about, saying it doesn't sweat. It absolutely does on a humid day.

Are these made in the US and don't cost $400? Or is this just more cleverly marketed shit made in China?

You try lugging a bulky thermos flask on a hike and see if it doesn't get tiresome fast. Even with the presence of more compact thermos flasks on the market, my point still stands; if an optimal solution exists, why settle for a lesser one? Do you think HD TVs are overrated too?

vacuum flasks died down a little bit from "decades ago" as you mention, because they were initially glass interiors that could shatter like a champ when bumped or dropped or had a temperature differential.

People started to buy plastic lined "Thermos" for warm enough use by lunch time (think the kids lunchboxes for a drink or a soup container). The old fogies were willing to spend the money to continue the glass interior versions because 1) no flavor memory and 2) they could afford it, and they really wanted their hot coffee on that roadtrip/hike, or they were truckers.

Then Starbucks happened. And, now coffee is available everywhere you would think it needs to be. Cute mugs that were also travel mugs came onto the market, though most aren't vacuum insulated under $18, price point. Vacuum is needed for 6+ hours of temp retention, but since these joints are now everywhere, oh well!

These metal water bottles are a horrible design, in my opinion, but maybe they got some popularity when plastic cancer became the next food police story. You need a bottle brush to clean them if they held anything but water, and can't just pop them into the dishwasher due to the height of most of them. I'll stick to my other designs. People who think you need a bottle that can clip onto a backpack from the lid are just not good consumers. My coffee cup had a handle clip or it can go inside with my electronics, because it won't leak upside down, and it's top rack safe.

You do realise that seltzer bottles are merely dispensers, while SodaStreams are water carbonators? It's a good idea if you want to make your own sodas without the hassle of buying litres of Schweppes.

>You try lugging a bulky thermos flask on a hike

I've taken them camping many times.

>> if an optimal solution exists, why settle for a lesser one?

In general, I agree with you. But in this case there is no practical difference. That's the whole point of this discussion. It's a "wow new" product that isn't any better than what's been around for decades.

Sometimes new products, like HD TV, is a vast improvement over the old stuff. Other times new products aren't any better (or are often times worse).

Try telling a mountain biker or a climber they don't need a flask that can accommodate different lids for clips. Your requirements != the rest of consumer's requirements.

yes, only sold in USA as far as I know

>You do realise that seltzer bottles are merely dispensers, while SodaStreams are water carbonators?

They are both carbonators, user. I have made my own soda countless times using a seltzer bottle.

I'm guessing you've never used a seltzer bottle before? In case you weren't aware, they take a CO2 cartridge which carbonates the water (or soda, or whatever else you put inside it). And the nice thing is that they take a generic CO2 cartridge you can get just about anywhere whereas SodaStream has a proprietary cartridge.

Good points, and thanks for sharing your experiences.

While it IS true that the flasks can be overpriced for what they are, and don't provide insulation on par with a well-built thermos, people still buy them or off-brand versions because of their ergonomics and their amazing customisability for any kind of purpose, professional or recreational. You don't have to love the brand to like the concept, and again, you can buy an off-brand if the meme and price-tag bother you.

My mug has a clip.

Old thermoses had a handle on the side. That could easily be clipped to something.

>itt people who never used a hydroflask

The waterbottle design isn't what they're marketing. It simply keeps cold drinks cold longer even in heat because if its lining.

You can use a regular thermos. But i found that the hydroflask actually does keep the drink cold, even after the disperse of energy from opening the damn thing.

Tl;dr. Cause it does sweat, it doesn't disperse heat as fast. Thats it, still more useful that a regular watterbottle or thermos, or container

Ah, I actually didn't know that. Guess I proved you right.

However, do you think it's more economical to use a SodaStream after the initial investment? After doing some research, I've read that a siphon charge is needed for every bottleful of soda prepared, whereas a Stream uses a single tank of gas that lasts approx. 1 month.

>. It simply keeps cold drinks cold longer even in heat because if its lining.

That's exactly what an old-school thermos does. It's the vacuum between the inner and outer walls that makes it keep things cold (or hot) so effectively. Products with "insulation" instead of a vacuum don't work anywhere near as well.

More useful than a water bottle or container? Yes. More useful than a thermos? No, it's the exact same thing.

>However, do you think it's more economical to use a SodaStream after the initial investment?

Nope, that's why I don't use one. The siphon chargers only work once but they are very cheap and widely available. You buy them in bulk. The stream uses a larger tank, but the cost-per-liter of product is higher because it's proprietary.

Though, I will admit that if you're willing to do some DIY it's possible to rig up an adapter that lets you use the sodastream with paintball CO2 tanks, or better yet, industrial CO2 tanks that you can have refilled for pennies. That is cheaper still. But if you're going to go that route you can skip the soda stream entirely. Pic related.

>My Made in China shit is better than your Made in China shit: the thread

That is definitely a nice basic setup; I'm saving this. Now, if only I knew where I could conveniently get a CO2 canister that large, along with the pressure gauges...

>Then Starbucks happened.

Yes, because there was absolutely no place that sold brewed coffee before Starbucks came along. They're ingenious!

Hot water and soap usually does the trick for mine. Not sure what you're putting in your thermos that requires a brush

Heat retention is important when you use a thermos as an onahole.

Amazon, duh.

The problem would be finding a place to fill it.

Unless your local hardware store does it, that I'm not sure of.

I just toss in 2-4 denture tablets and let it soak overnight

I guess an obsession with getting your coffee made for you is nothing too remarkable statistically?

>The problem would be finding a place to fill it.

Welding supply shop. They can sell you the bottle and regulator, and they refill them. You might not be familiar with them since the average person probably doesn't weld much, but they're all over the place since welding is so important for industry. Even tiny little towns have them. Check google or your phone book. The big chains are Praxxair, Airgas, etc. Many farm stores aka "feed stores" do it also. Also, many sporting goods stores will refill the smaller tanks since they do refills for Paintball.

There are a couple different conversion adapters on the market that you can screw onto a CO2 paintball tank for use with the Sodastream. That's what I do. The place I get my CO2/HPA filled for paintball only charges me $2.00 for a 12oz CO2 fill. Way cheaper than getting new Sodastream tanks.

>Hot water and soap usually does the trick for mine. Not sure what you're putting in your thermos that requires a brush
Anything other than water.

I guess you would also love to dine in a restaurant that things are only washed in soap and water like that. I bet you just shake it.

Do you have an info graph for pre-2000?

That explains it then

t. germophobe

Is "specially coffee" what americans refer to as 3000 calories per serve with cream and hfcs ala starbucks? That's disgusting.

You shouldn't drink coffee like that.

>and I'd like 2 pumps of caramel
>and 2 pumps of vanilla
>with a caramel and chocolate drizzle
>and whipped cream
>I love coffee! tee hee

>lunch break
>coworker going to costas
>ask for a black filter coffee
>ew user that's gross
everytiem

Yeah I shake it and let it sit in there for a bit. Same thing I do with my growlers that I take to be refilled. I don't see an issue.

Well, for one thing, the old Thermos flasks were glass bottles put into a shell. These are stainless steel, so they won't shatter if you drop them.

I mostly on use my for faucet water. I like the crisp, coolness of the water when I drink it from my stainless water bottle.

Do not put hot liquids in them. I learned that the hard way. LOL!

yeah I don't know how people can drink 70g of sugar on the regular and not be 300lbs

Unless this is the their only meal and they intend to purge it later.

Homebrew shops sell this stuff and refill co2 bottles.

>drinking hot water and soap
What the fuck is wrong with you?

I mean it isn't expensive user

There are plenty of these bottles now

Did someone with this bottle bully you?

it's a british delicacy

>not liking cilantro tea
Subhuman pls go.

Looks like a high quality water bottle, nothing wrong with it.