Hearts and other delicious things

>be me
>live in Bilbao
>butcher across the road from apartment
>go in and buy some hearts, tongue etc every so often
>lots of basque flags, sports equipment about on the walls
>Do my best to say please and thanks in basque as much as possible, even though I do everything else in Spanish
>butcher appreciates the sentiment, it's tough for locals to lean basque never mind foreigners
>go in today to get some cow heart
>ask for half a heart
>weighs half a heart for the price, and gives me the other half free

Feels so good, one half roasting now I think I'll stew the other. Pic related in case nobody knows the size.

Anybody else /offal/ here? Anyone got based butcher/shop owner stories?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=bj-f_Uq7bcA
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Man I seriously doubt anyone here has ever tried anything but the mcchicken

Well. Heart is not a popular cut at all here in Spain, I guess it was giving you the other half and being nice or throwing it. My butcherer saves me the fat he was going to throw as I use it to make soap.

How do you prepare it? What do you eat it with?

I never tried heart, but tongue is great.

Donde vives?

For roasting it I just coat it in a little oil, salt, rosemary and thyme then stick it in a preheated oven at 180 degrees for an hour/hour and a half depending on how big it is.

I tend to eat hearts on their own to be honest, I don't buy them often it's more just for a quick bit of protein after Judo.

For stewing them, just your average irish stew but using the heart.

Barcelona

How is it? I've been in Madrid, a few places in Galicia, Santander and Bilbao but never Barcelona

I love it. But I'm biased.

Stay away from tourist places and It's cool.

But if you are here, you are interested in food I guess, and you visited already the best places in Spain for food.

Madrid for the super professional service in tapa bars, Galicia for the seafood and the Basque country for the Fish and beef. You are not going to find anything super special in Barcelona regarding food.

But a week/couple days for the architecture, the beer and the wether, Barcelona is perfect.

Went to a sideria last week actually, pic related

Dat Txuleton

I like roast chicken hearts with garlic as a snack, but also stuff like the oxtail and offal faggot on the menu at my current place. I believe we use liver, heart, tongue, and a few other bits.
Quite a bit more popular these days but still very cheap are cheeks, which are prime for sous vide cooking.

I like heart and liver. Can't stand neck, giblet, and kidney

hearts are literally just muscle with some fat and vein tissue (which is also muscle)

I have never eaten heart, but I would bet money that they just cook and taste like any other tough meat.

A bit gameier but more or less aye

I like chicken heart.

>Bilbao

You live in those Le Petit Prince trees?

I like this thread

My family is Basque - from the French side of things though near Biarritz.

Heart is a fantastic cut of meat. I don't like liver and kidney as I generally find them too slimey, but would definitely recommend giving heart a go to anyone sat on the fence.

Beef tongue is next level meat mascarade deliciousness. Lengua tacos are the bee's knees

Not a fan of heart. It's iron-y. Kind of like my first girlfriends vag.

One of my friends is from London and lived in a wee basque village where they only spoke, you guessed it, basque, he picked up the language fairly easily, one of those people with a knack for them, but when he went to the French Basque Country couldn't communicate at all

Basque is such a bizzare language. One of the oldest in the world, but they just stick fucking Z's in everywhere.

meh. Too much cholesterol if you eat it frequently but it's healthy if eaten in moderation. Lot's of nutrition values in general. I only eat free ranged entrails though.

Then they've tried chicken feet unknowingly
>evilgrinMrBurns.jpg

I want to make pork faggots (hurr durr) but I can't find a pig's pluck anywhere.

I've called several local butcher places and they all get their pigs pre-gutted or in sides.

youtube.com/watch?v=bj-f_Uq7bcA

Stewing up the bits I didn't use yesterday

Gud stew, I also realise I should have Called this thread 'hearts and minds' and posted brains

Wtf

>Anybody else /offal/ here? Anyone got based butcher/shop owner stories?

I've had liver - beef and chicken. Chicken hearts and gizzards. Beef tongue and tripe, pork tripe. Lots of random blood and bits from various Asian cuisines...

A lot of it I've had in Asian and Mexican food, to be honest. I still want to have sweetbreads.

boil, change water, boil with onion carrot celery peppercorns, slice thin, make sandwich with bread and mustard or pickle.

It's generally how it's eaten here, you have to remember some people will eat steak straight up raw, not that I'm complaining I quite like steak tartare.

Did not know that. I always felt rare/blue rare was an American thing. Is that just a basque thing?

As far as I'm aware, I've not seen the same replicated abroad, maybe with the exception of the French. It's a big ol' steak though.

Barcelona user here. I find that chuletón a little too raw even for Basque standards, but some people like it that way.