What veggies do you like your Sheperd's pie?

What veggies do you like your Sheperd's pie?

lotus root

Watermelon

celery, onion, carrot

String beans & corn.

Peas & corn is too lush. Must have some guilt.

Absolutely no un liquefied carrots.

The lamb mince looks a bit dry...

Onion, carrots, peas, garlic. Sometimes celery.

Is garlic considered an herb or a vegetable, or is it a moot point?

This

Plus garlic, if that counts

pineapple

Potato

Shepherd

Only if they're Basque. Dark meat is more flavorful.

Chestnuts are an awesome addition to a shepherds pie. Buy some vacuum sealed precooked ones and chuck em in.

You can thank me later.

artichoke leaves

Peas, carrots, corn. Onion is in the meat but I guess it still counts.

Onion, carrot, celery, and peas

Peas, carrots, and mushrooms.

Peas

gotta have em

it's beef actually

That pie looks far too dry. Also wtf is that sweetcorn?

Then that's a cottage pie you triple nigger.

Oh good, this again.

Explain please . Please, sheperd is in the pie?
It doesnt make sense.
No wonder the brexit. Keeps their idiotically food for themsellfes.

I had a girlfriend who would just put corn and meat in her shepards pie and got mad when I said that's real gross. I remember it to this day because she was the epitome of THICK meme then and now seriously more horizontal than vertical.
Thanks for the memory.

Why do you think it's gross?

Usually you ESL guys piss me off, but this post is solid gold.

She did, because of the intentional lack of vegetables was normal for her. She was a nutrition illiterate dating someone who is only chubby-fit and not bear-mode because he eats right, and fiber-dense food is a cornerstone. Not only that, rejecting vegetables as a whole is fucking childish and shows you weren't raised in an adult's home. So I lashed out hard, had very inappropriately angry sex with her, and now I get to remember.

For me, it's the MChicken

I think it's considered a vegetable because it's more similar to onions and stuff. I don't really know, either.

So does anyone throw some cheese on there?
Only did it with some little cheap storebought ones but it made them way more palatable.

I'm sure the right cheese on a proper one could only be an improvement.

Those are the same things though.

shepherds pie has lamb. cottage pie is made with anything other than lamb.

How many shepherds do you know that herd cows?
kek

Incorrect.

The idea that Shepherd's pie = lamb is a modern misunderstanding.

The original recipe (published in Ms. Beeton's during the Victorian period) called for "beef or whatever meat can be found".

How many shepherds would kill the means of their wool production to eat them?

The idea that shepherd's pie = lamb is born out of modern ignorance and misunderstanding.

Fucking right. Reminds me of this time I went to a coworker's house and he served some modern stew and called it Irish stew.

You sound like you have issues you need to work out. Did you want to talk about it, user?

Dude, not all shepherds are in it for wool. You set your stall out for what you do. Do you think dairy cows are made into beef?

At the time the recipe was created, In England, sheep were raised for wool and not meat.

Mutton was eaten, but only as a cheap desperation meat for the poor. And that came from old sheep, not lambs.

>>Do you think dairy cows are made into beef?
After they get too old to produce milk effectively, yes. What else would you do with them? Let them rot?

On Friday night I was invited to my supervisor's home for a dinner party. There were 3 couples and myself present. I can be somewhat picky, so I asked what the meal would consist of. Oddly enough, my supervisor said he would make shepherd's pie.

I was looking forward to this, because shepherd's pie is one of my favorite things to make. I am quite good at it.

Instead of bringing a salad or dessert I decided to make shepherd's pie and take advantage of lamb in my freezer that I bought from a previous sale. I spent the day making it and was quite excited about bringing it.

The reception was mixed. People seemed pleased on the surface, but I think my supervisor was a little perturbed. I think he was insulted or thought I was being competitive. He did not say this, but I was using my sense of empathy afterwards when I was replaying his body language and reaction and came to this conclusion.

Despite being far superior, most people ate the dish that the host made. His consisted of ground beef while mine was a true shepherd's pie with a very nice gravy on the side. There is no reason to chose his over mine aside for social obligation and perceived politeness.

Was my choice of dish offensive or am I over-intellectualizing the night?

I hope this is satire but it's fucked up and autistic that you made shepherd's pie too, why the fuck would you think that was a good idea? I'm sure your boss was really annoyed and offended.

Quit replying to obvious copypasta

Firetruck!

Dairy cows (like hens) taste like shit after they've stopped producing. They don't make beef grade, they made everything that doesn't require quality grade.

So your average dairy cow when slaughtered is made into absolute shit tier food.

Meanwhile, beef grade cows don't get milked. They make the grade.

Sheep obviously don't have this problem until they lamb, then they start getting tough. So you set your stall out either to produce lamb or produce wool, not both. You still shear them, but since you have no contract FOR wool, you dispose of it.

Source: Grew up on a farm.

However: Saying 'shepards pie isn't lamb' when cottage pie predates it and you now have two completely different words to easily differentiate the two is crazy talk! Why not use the words?

Why argue in favour of that? It's mind boggling!

>Dairy cows (like hens) taste like shit after they've stopped producing.

Not always. It's a matter of cooking the meat correctly. Check out Magnus Nilsson on Mind of a Chef. He specifically seeks out old dairy beef (sorry, I don't remember the exact episode).

>>Why argue in favour of that?

While I agree it doesn't make a lot of logical sense, facts are facts. The first recorded recipes of "Shepherd's Pie" all called for beef. Whether or not that makes sense to our modern mindset doesn't matter. Lots of things make little sense in language, you accept the idiosyncrasies and move on.

>specific oddities
Sorry, but it doesn't change what the producers themselves do, which is sending the old dairy stock into the slaughterhouse for low grade ground, processed crap. We don't ever make much on selling old dairy stock. You can find many examples of people braising old cuts of meat (like mutton) but this is very left field compared to the everyday standard.

>isn't logical
Then what's wrong with changing it? Let's use this hypothetical scenario.

Example 1: "Hey man, I'm making some shepards pie tonight!"
You: No question, you know full well it's lamb.
"Hey man, I'm making some cottage pie tonight!"
You: No question, you know full well it's beef.

Example 2: "Hey man, I'm making some shepards pie tonight!"
You: "Wait, lamb or beef?"

See what I mean? Why cling to such a stupid archaic definition and then cite and use archaic sources when you could just change and be perfectly logical?