What are some essential spices?

What are some essential spices?
I've got pepper, salt, garlic powder, and some chili powder.
Need to get a proper rack going.

Other urls found in this thread:

penzeys.com/shop/spices/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Inb4 Lawrys salt shill.

Just go to a shop, look at their spice section and buy everything you didn't have...

All spices are essentials. Just buy them all , i did. 60 some...

Oregano, lemon pepper, ginger.

>Buy a wall of spices you probably won't use half of for the next several years
I'm not interested in blowing $200 on shit I won't use

Just buy a couple jars a week until you're stocked. Change them out once a year. Depends on what you cook though. For herbs, thyme, oregano, and basil come up fairly often. Maybe tarragon if you use it. Spices, I'd get some cayenne pepper, sweet and smoked paprika, Ancho and Chipotle chili powders. Granulated garlic and onion. Shit idk but that should get you by for a while.

cumin, basil, oregano, cayenne, jalapeno, and a fresh pair of lemons and limes

Cumin is a thing too. You want to grab that.

>Just buy a couple jars a week until you're stocked.
This. You buy them as you use them for a recipe you're shopping for at the time. Eventually you're stocked up but only with the things that are meaningful to your recipe rotation. Some people never use seasoned salt, others put it on everything. I know people who never use dill, but I use mine at least once a week. Maybe you're a cinnamon toast person and that'll be the first thing you buy. Who knows?

Basics is a pepper mill, maybe a salt grinder. Just focus on things to cook, not spices and the supply will eventually be there.

How on Earth would we know what you'd use?

I could suggest five spice and you could absolutely hate cloves and fennel.

My spices roughly in order of use:

Salt
Black Pepper
Garlic Powder
Chili Powder
Onion Powder
Thyme
Cumin
Ginger
Turmeric
Red Pepper Flakes
Cinnamon
Paprika
Sage
Rosemary
Cayenne
Basil
Dill
Parsley
Oregano
Bay Leaves
Caraway Seeds
Celery Salt
Cloves
Allspice
Nutmeg
Ground Mustard
Marjoram

And don't forget other pantry essentials like Sugar, Brown Sugar, Honey, Cocoa Powder, Flour, Corn Starch, Baking Soda, Baking Powder, Vinegar (apple cider), Yeast packets, Vanilla extract..

85-90% of the time I have every spice I need for any recipe, and if I don't I can easily approximate it. Like if they call for Mustard Seed, I'll just substitute Ground Mustard instead.. no big deal.

I also save all my empty jars and use them to mix up my own blends. Like for Tacos, BBQ, Italian seasoning... Bloody Marys..

penzeys.com/shop/spices/

I got a Penzey's near me and their most popular spices are mostly essentials. A versatile blend is handy, too.

If you're planning on doing much chinese cooking get some sezchuan pepper, starry nights and cinamon sticks. Or just five spice for starters.

Learn to use them by expanding your palate, faggot.

Ground coriander, cumin, turmeric, paprika, ground ginger, gara masala (if you like Indian), cloves and cardamom pods.

Get Allspice. It's like a joker you can use in any recipe in place of a spice you havent got.

Cumin, Red Chili Powder/Flakes, Paprika (Sweet and/or Smoked), Tumeric

I carry a bottle of curry powder with me at all times. Even when hiking, I use it to season mashed potatoes and ramen. Curry is the best. You need it to live, I am certain.

At home, I keep the things OP losted, plus oregano, cumin, cayenne pepper, cinnamon, ginger and basil. Plus I keep fresh garlic in the fridge.

And some sort of spice mix (like a steak seasoning) for when you just want to throw some shit on scrambled eggs or a burger or popcorn or whatever and you just don't really care much about the result.

I agree 100% with this list, but make sure you get SMOKED PAPRIKA and not anything else.

Vegeta and Cholula. You don't need anything else.

Buy some pint sized canning jars and fill them with the following bulk spices with a little white rice to absorb moisture and prevent clumping:

- cinnamon, cardamon, cumin, coriander, nutmeg, turmeric, alspice, black pepper, white pepper, cayenne, garlic powder, onion powder, red pepper flakes, oregano, basil, thyme, rosemary, mustard powder, paprika

Specialty shit - star anise, fennel, Sichuan pepper, galangal

That will cover you for pretty much everything from Euro to Indian, to Cajun, to Italian, to Thai.

This.

Good list.

These guys get it

salt
white peppercorn
black peppercorn
fresh herbs
dried chilies
garlic

cinnamon
nutmeg
vanilla bean

you truly don't need anything else

caraway, cumin, dill seed, and fennel seed are non essential but cheap and good

Your mom's got a proper rack.

Basil, oregano, thyme, rosemary, sage, bay leaves, dill

cayenne pepper, paprika, nutmeg, allspice, cumin, ginger, curry powder, cinnamon, ground mustard, coriander

Tumeric and cayenne